• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

Doesn't have to be done to scale. Utah would probably have all of that.

Well it was obviously never going to be to scale in the first place. I'm merely pointing out that your argument is pretty flawed.

Either way, it's unlikely it's actually going to be "Set" anywhere specific. It'll just be sci fi ruins and made up geography.

James Marsden en Joris de Man worked together on both Velocity games.

I've just checked their website and you're correct! I thought de Man was only on board for the sequel. Anyway, regardless both games have great soundtracks, and I have V2X on rotation to listen at work sometimes.

Killzone was buried with Killzone 3 and it's GG's fault.

Killzone 2's dark menacing claustrophobic WW2-style theme should have been the standard. Everything about it. Yeah, Rico should have been killed off sooner than later but KZ2 was and remains unique in that genre and GG failed to built upon it.

I still enjoyed KZ3 but it definitely lost a lot of the edge which made KZ2 so powerful and distinct. I thought the level design in KZ3 was inferior too, and the storytelling was so much worse. EDIT - that being said, I thought Shadow Fall was excellent as a soft reboot and it gave the series a fresh coat of paint while still keeping the Helghast side of things intact.

Man, I'd play the shit out of KZ2 if it got an HD remaster. All this talking about it has made me want to give it another go.

I don't doubt that the UK has diverse locations, but if they were wanting to base it on earth with the most diverse locations in a single country they'd probably do somewhere in Asia or North America.

But Asia and North America are continents...?!

Geographically I'm sure there are many countries in the world which are just as diverse as the USA, but I'm not sure it matters anyway because I doubt GG is setting it in a real-world location 1000 years in the future. I don't think that's necessary either.

I don't doubt that the UK has diverse locations, but if they were wanting to base it on earth with the most diverse locations in a single country they'd probably do somewhere in Asia or North America.

Post-post-apocalyptic game set in the Pacific Northwest? Sign me up.

My point was talking about UK's landscape diversity, which a few people don't realise/appreciate that the UK as a small country has in abundance, is more than viable for different locations used in a game to great variety. And due to Horizons time period the location could be inspired by a number of places in the world changed due to post-post-apocalyptic nature. Doesn't just have to be America every time.

Also comparing the UK to the entire continent of North America is rather unfair, if you want to do that... Then compare Europe and North America continents.

Tommi84

Geographically I'm sure there are many countries in the world which are just as diverse as the USA,
The thing is, USA is huge and in comparison to EU countries (apart from Russia) is ENORMOUS. I bet that UK, Spain has the same diversity and being 1/10 of the size of the USA.

What is also perfect about UK is that... it's just a big island - no more problems with players complaining that there's artificial border ;D.

Never assumed Killzone was dead even with Cambridge making Rigs, but the series definitely needs a rest. I don't think Guerilla will ever go back to it though.

I'd love them to return to it early next generation. I love the series. I have no doubt this will surpass it, but I think if they returned to it after a few games off they would have some fucking awesome new stuff to implement. And with the new writers and quest designers they could really deliver on a lot of the promise of Killzone's world.

I'd love them to return to it early next generation. I love the series. I have no doubt this will surpass it, but I think if they returned to it after a few games off they would have some fucking awesome new stuff to implement. And with the new writers and quest designers they could really deliver on a lot of the promise of Killzone's world.

I'd really like GG Cambridge to make another, taking the best parts from Mercenary and Shadow Fall. PS4 release so we can have the pretties. Starring Echo as a mercenary running jobs for both sides. She has her own OWL, but also has access to VAN-guards as seen in Mercenary. Give the game systems a bit more depth; allow for hacking, for evolved stealth systems, to buy weapons, ammo and upgrades from Blackjack. She has no firm allegiance to either side, but instead works with a group trying to preserve the balance between the Vektans and Helghast and prevent open warfare from breaking out. I'm thinking they could develop the gameplay systems so it's kind of like a Deus Ex-lite.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'd really like GG Cambridge to make another, taking the best parts from Mercenary and Shadow Fall. PS4 release so we can have the pretties. Starring Echo as a mercenary running jobs for both sides. She has her own OWL, but also has access to VAN-guards as seen in Mercenary. Give the game systems a bit more depth; allow for hacking, for evolved stealth systems, to buy weapons, ammo and upgrades from Blackjack. She has no firm allegiance to either side, but instead works with a group trying to preserve the balance between the Vektans and Helghast and prevent open warfare from breaking out. I'm thinking they could develop the gameplay systems so it's kind of like a Deus Ex-lite.

Almost exactly what I've been hoping they'll do with the franchise. The world and factions of Killzone are really interesting and they produced a boatload of lore and faux history. I think it'd really lend itself well for something more story-driven. Could be something inspired by Deus Ex, but I could also see something akin to Splinter Cell work. Or go full-on RPG and head in the direction of Mass Effect intrigue.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Fucks sakes people, what they showed is not in the USA. Why because of mountains? There are plenty of mountains in the UK and northern isles.

Let's look at the evidence...

• They showed Earth from space, the area shown was England, and London was lit up from the light pollution.
  • The skyline of the ruins matches up near identical to London. Same building placements, and same design.
  • She has the Anglo/Gaelic look to her, which would be common for said region.
  • There are other tribes as well, from various climates and regions. Game of Thrones uses a similar like region, and it only takes 1,000 miles in either direction to get to the various landscapes (even the desert like areas of the Mediterranean). Which in an open world game, you are probably not locked to one sole region.
  • They are a Dutch company, so they are working from their region and surrounding regions, just as Game of Thrones does.

With all of this evidence, the conclusion surely is Denver, Colorado. /s

Edit: While I think hers is the UK region or so... the trailer is showing places all over the world, from Canada, to USA, and possibly Dubai or China Sea.

Venture

Fucks sakes people, what they showed is not in the USA. Why because of mountains? There are plenty of mountains in the UK and northern isles.

• They showed Earth from space, the area shown was England, and London was lit up from the light pollution.
  • The skyline of the ruins matches up near identical to London. Same building placements, and same design.
  • There are other tribes as well, from various climates and regions. Game of Thrones uses a similar like region, and it only takes 1,000 miles in either direction to get to the various landscapes (even the desert like areas of the Mediterranean). Which in an open world game, you are probably not locked to one sole region.
  • They are a Dutch company, so they are working from their region and surrounding regions, just as Game of Thrones does.

Then how do you explain the cowboys? How do you explain the cowboys?!
statue2.jpg

Seriously though, I doesn't really matter. It looks stunning wherever it is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Then how do you explain the cowboys? How do you explain the cowboys?!
statue2.jpg

Seriously though, I doesn't really matter. It looks stunning wherever it is.

After re-watching the other PlayStation Access video, I am convinced it is in various parts of the world... but her tribe is definitely in the UK region. You can see the soccer[football] stadium with the Guerrilla Logo (Easter egg) on the crumbling video screen.

I wonder how they will handle travel to those parts if so.

I just want this in my veins regardless where it takes place!

Ishan

The funny thing is I wanted this game revealed cause of year old leaks . Got super excited seeing how promising it looks. And now I'm bummed I'll have to wait a year and a half at least to play it . God damn it .... I want this way sooner

Edit: also where the fuck is bends game . Haven't they had ages since their last game and are using ue4 so they didn't need to build something from. Scratch ..

My only issue at the moment is that the world feels alive. Witcher 3 and some GTA games aside, every other open world games feels flat, souless and empty. Basically just learn from Witcher 3, because in terms of that type of game feeling alive, noone has done it better. They could learn a lot of things from them to be honest, mission variety, story and characters.

Lemondish

Another major area shown was Vancouver island, which actually is surrounded by mountains.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Another major area shown was Vancouver island, which actually is surrounded by mountains.

Yeah, I am scanning through them frame by frame, and I was trying to pinpoint that (looked familiar)... good catch.

The funny thing is I wanted this game revealed cause of year old leaks . Got super excited seeing how promising it looks. And now I'm bummed I'll have to wait a year and a half at least to play it . God damn it .... I want this way sooner

Edit: also where the fuck is bends game . Haven't they had ages since their last game and are using ue4 so they didn't need to build something from. Scratch ..

Shu in the Kinda Funny interview mentioned that he has played it, and it looks and plays great already... maybe PSX or next E3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2oEbmyujIE

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is actually a real statue. It's the Pikes Peak Range Riders Memorial in Colorado Springs.
usco14-2.jpg

I was trying to find it. Sweet.

Also one of the cities looked a lot like a futuristic Dubai or maybe Asian sea region.

Now I am really interested in how travel plays out.

Lemondish

I was trying to find it. Sweet.

Also one of the cities looked a lot like a futuristic Dubai or maybe Asian sea region.

Now I am really interested in how travel plays out.

Too late tonight for me to keep looking through the trailer but I'll eagerly consume any new insights tomorrow morning.

DrD

To me it doesn't look like it's set in a specific country but it takes inspiration from many different locations in its own setting. In an interview they also mentioned how they researched tribes from around the world such as Native American, Mongolian, African.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
To me it doesn't look like it's set in a specific country but it takes inspiration from many different locations in its own setting. In an interview they also mentioned how they researched tribes from around the world such as Native American, Mongolian, African.

That is a possibility as well. The different climate regions and tribes shown suggests those areas are explorable.

Venture

This looks like it's based heavily on the Pikes Peak Range Riders Memorial in Colorado Springs.
usco14-2.jpg
Nice find. I was looking for the real statue too. That's almost an exact match.

Most likely they've taken inspiration from a lot of different areas. As long as there's a good amount of diversity in the environment everyone will be happy.

Dreez

In the trailer Aloy says different tribes started coming to her land right? The statues could just be seen in cutscenes when someone tells her of where they came from.

Or she mounts the Thunderbird.

Lemondish

This is a good thing. It's time to leave that series behind, it's not worth the effort anymore. I'm glad Guerilla are moving on to (literally) greener pastures.

It's not a good thing for fans. I love that series, and burying it takes us further from achieving the brilliance of KZ2. Trying to get back to the best console fps of last gen should be an acceptable goal. Plus, it sells extremely well, so it actually is still worth the effort. Sometimes GAF forgets that there are other gaming tastes out there.

I would task Cambridge on it, though. They proved more than capable with Mercenary, and anything they want to do with the mainline franchise itself would feel fresh with new voices at the helm. Hell, most of their recruitment ads were about working on a "high profile franchise", which gives me hope.

EGM1966

Killzone was buried with Killzone 3 and it's GG's fault.

Killzone 2's dark menacing claustrophobic WW2-style theme should have been the standard. Everything about it. Yeah, Rico should have been killed off sooner than later but KZ2 was and remains unique in that genre and GG failed to built upon it.
Couldn't agree more. In my head a KZ3 exists where Rico is court marshalled for the dumb hothead he is (why show him to be a fuck up getting people killed and not follow through?) and Sev ends up fighting a nasty and morally dubious guerrilla war trapped on the planet.

But they chickened out, tried to make Rico good and right, retconned characters from KZ2 and tried to make it a simple tale with our team winning.

Real shame.

Lemondish

Couldn't agree more. In my head a KZ3 exists where Rico is court marshalled for the dumb hothead he is (why show him to be a fuck up getting people killed and not follow through?) and Sev ends up fighting a nasty and morally dubious guerrilla war trapped on the planet.

But they chickened out, tried to make Rico good and right, retconned characters from KZ2 and tried to make it a simple tale with our team winning.

Real shame.

I wonder if the series feels shackled to the villains too heavily. They're iconic, that's for sure. Easily recognizable. But before the first Killzone, there was already a villain, and we play as them without ever addressing that. I think a lost opportunity was to explore that side of Killzone, that even though we like to see the ISA as the good guys, they really weren't.

If they can return to Killzone 2's aesthetic and focus, I'd be very receptive to a new Killzone title.

Loudninja

So the open world will be comparable to recent open world games, that is what De Jonge is saying.
"If we had a slider," he said, "... you would say that open-world games kind of fit along a slider between super action open-world games — maybe you'd look at a GTA or maybe you'd take a look at an Assassin's Creed on that side — and then the really RPG-ish open-world games. Maybe you'd put a Skyrim on that side, or maybe a Fallout. We think we actually kind of fit somewhere in the middle. We haven't seen a lot of those RPG elements yet, but there are a lot in there and we look forward to showing quite a few of them down the road."
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/24/8834897/horizon-zero-dawn-e3-2015-preview-gta-skyrim

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Shu said that Bend's game is fun to play, but they are waiting for the right time to show it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Shu said that Bend's game is fun to play, but they are waiting for the right time to show it.
Will that be before or after it actually gets released? ;p

If the "right time" for your 1st parties to show their first project for the current primary development platform isn't within the first 2 years it's on the market, I think they may need to re-align their priorities...

Will that be before or after it actually gets released? ;p

If the "right time" for your 1st parties to show their first project for the current primary development platform isn't within the first 2 years it's on the market, I think they may need to re-align their priorities...

Rumours of cancelled Vita projects, the lack of an internal engine for PS4, the need to migrate over to UE4...

Shit happens, man.

Jomjom

Banned
I hope they go for Monster Hunter level of RPG-ness -- where the game is first and foremost about combat & skill, but augmented (and made ridiculously addictive) by gathering pieces of technodinos to make better equipment.
I hope we get more of a plot than monhun though. The loot and combat alone hasn't been able to keep me interested in monhun long term.

Norml

3rd person Killzone would be cool or go back to Killzone 2 gameplay/art style.

Dat spectator mode!
igb2iUsg51Iq2.gif

I just got around to seeing the video and wow! Looks amazing in both vids and screenshots and gameplay looks fun too.But the music is the best part.Can't get it out of my head:p

Top Bottom