• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wonder if this game even takes place on Earth.

Killzone looked like a futuristic Earth but it was Vekta in Alpha Centauri.

I could see them doing a different planet in a different star system

Edit: What if this IS Vekta?

1536253-m_night_shyamalan.jpg

It is on Earth, they already confirmed it.

It also takes place 1,000 years after a huge apocolyptic event.
Which also happened in Killzone, which was on Earth in the way future, which also had an apocalyptic event.

So it may either still be in the Killzone Universe, but no more ties to that war since it is ancient history, or its akin to Killzone like Prometheus is akin to Aliens.

It is on Earth, they already confirmed it.

It also takes place 1,000 years after a huge apocolyptic event.
Which also happened in Killzone, which was on Earth in the way future, which also had an apocalyptic event.

So it may either still be in the Killzone Universe, but no more ties to that war since it is ancient history, or its akin to Killzone like Prometheus is akin to Aliens.
I didn't know they confirmed it as Earth. It would be cool if they tied it in somehow to the KZ lore just as an easter egg or something.

A crumbed statue of Rico in one of the cities. Lol

Speaking of easter eggs... it would be pretty cool if they had Echo's or even Jammer's costume as unlockable armor Aloy could wear.
Maybe have it to where you find it in the ruins of one of the cities shown in the trailer.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Speaking of easter eggs... it would be pretty cool if they had Echo's or even Jammer's costume as unlockable armor Aloy could wear.
Maybe have it to where you find it in the ruins of one of the cities shown in the trailer.
That would be cool. In the stream they said they actually used Jammer's model in early prototypes.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I didn't know they confirmed it as Earth. It would be cool if they tied it in somehow to the KZ lore just as an easter egg or something.

A crumbed statue of Rico in one of the cities. Lol

Indeed... and some of the tech and metal looks right out of KZ:SF. So I guess we will find out.

KingK

Someone posted this on 9gag:

A building from London spotted:
aynpRnq_700b.jpg

Don't know from where they have taken this and I wonder how much of a coincidence is this.
There were mountains in the trailer though, and a desert/mesa looking area. Don't think it's in England. Plus i would imagine the apocalypse did not happen in 2015 since it would have to be far enough in the future for people to invent AI for those robots. I was thinking it looked kinda like the American west/Rocky mountains.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There were mountains in the trailer though, and a desert/mesa looking area. Don't think it's in England. Plus i would imagine the apocalypse did not happen in 2015 since it would have to be far enough in the future for people to invent AI for those robots. I was thinking it looked kinda like the American west/Rocky mountains.

That is definitely London.

There are various tribes in the game from different regions. Hers just happens to be the Anglo region of the United Kingdom. It is supposed to be a huge seamless open world game. Last rumor or confirmation was larger than Skyrim for map size. So chances are you travel to far away lands as you upgrade tech. Mediterranean, Highlands, etc.

Pretty sure I saw a pro baseball stadium in that trailer too and I don't think they have those in England?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ain't no desert.

Again, open world game, said to be larger in size than Skyrim, most open world games besides GTA, have different regions to explore that does not always mean it is tied to one area.

The Mediterranean and northern Africa is not out of the question.

KingK

That is definitely London.

There are various tribes in the game from different regions. Hers just happens to be the Anglo region of the United Kingdom. It is supposed to be a huge seamless open world game. Last rumor or confirmation was larger than Skyrim for map size. So chances are you travel to far away lands as you upgrade tech. Mediterranean, Highlands, etc.
But you can see mountains in the background of that ruined cityscape. There aren't mountains right outside London. Plus there isn't a desert or mesa anywhere in the UK afaik. I'm sticking with my American west theory. The city is Denver. Also GG wanted to honor Denver for surpassing their own city as weed capitol of the world by putting it in their game. It all adds up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But you can see mountains in the background of that ruined cityscape. There aren't mountains right outside London. Plus there isn't a desert or mesa anywhere in the UK afaik. I'm sticking with my American west theory. The city is Denver. Also GG wanted to honor Denver for surpassing their own city as weed capitol of the world by putting it in their game. It all add up.

I like this theory! :p

Not

Banned
There are a grand total of zero games in the PS4 library that excite me enough to buy the console. Shadows of Mordor and Arkham Knight look awesome, but they're the type of games I usually suck at and prefer watching more than playing.

That might change when this comes out. I gotta see more.

i don't know if this has been posted beofre, Joris de Man is awesome!! i love his music, glad he is working on Horizon.

found this:

Horizon: Zero Dawn - "Main Theme" (Unofficial) created by Tommy Lucas, 2015. Inspired by the Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer premiered at E3 2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyryOkDnTFo

9YzK5Km.jpg

Awesome news!

Shadow Fall was missing his music (I think he didn't compose it?). Sounded kind of generic and bland in comparison.

KZ2 and KZ3 had glorious and epic soundtracks in comparison.

Never assumed Killzone was dead even with Cambridge making Rigs, but the series definitely needs a rest. I don't think Guerilla will ever go back to it though.

(I believe rimming one's eyes with coal was originally done to protect them from the sun - no idea if that's actually effective, though)
It would tend to cut down on glare from sunlight reflecting off of your skin, akin to the eye-black athletes wear today. That's basically "protection from the sun."

I give you UK's only desert which continues to grow... Dungeness

Want mountains try Snowdonia...

I could go on with areas from Scotland, Ireland, Devon, Cornwall etc. All looking vastly different my point was there's a bit of everything in the UK. Sure, you might not find a mesa or Grand Canyon, though we have Cheddar Gorge, and although it's not on the same scale it's different than anywhere else and there's more than enough in the UK to cover a number of tick boxes in an open world game location, especially post-post apocalyptic where who knows what has happened to different continents.

eFKac

Awesome news!

Shadow Fall was missing his music (I think he didn't compose it?). Sounded kind of generic and bland in comparison.

KZ2 and KZ3 had glorious and epic soundtracks in comparison.

I won't lie, Shadow Fall was the first KZ that didn't have a forgettable soundtrack to me, I found it very interesting and fresh for the franchise and really memorable. Hoped they would work with that guy again.

I know that Joris is talented, his Velocity 2X soundtrack was fantastic and actually reminded me in many ways of SF (that's why I was surprised to learn later that he didn't compose for KZSF).

Wait, the guy who composed the Velocity 2X soundtrack is doing Horizon?

This game just keeps sounding better and better! And it already sounded pretty amazing back when it was just concept art and a handful of details!

no. killzone is buried

You should ask the Mods for a tag so everyone knows you are a GG dev.

Wait, is this real - Zoetis works for GG and has confirmed no more Killzone? That's a pretty big deal if true.

Wait, the guy who composed the Velocity 2X soundtrack is doing Horizon?

This game just keeps sounding better and better! And it already sounded pretty amazing back when it was just concept art and a handful of details!

I loved the Velocity 2X soundtrack, but it's worth noting that's most of it is remixed tracks from the first game, which I *think* was composed by FuturLab employee James Marsters.

Dahaka

Killzone was buried with Killzone 3 and it's GG's fault.

Killzone 2's dark menacing claustrophobic WW2-style theme should have been the standard. Everything about it. Yeah, Rico should have been killed off sooner than later but KZ2 was and remains unique in that genre and GG failed to built upon it.

Lemondish

Indeed... and some of the tech and metal looks right out of KZ:SF. So I guess we will find out.

I'm simply guessing that the same artist is involved heavily.

I felt the place looked an awful lot like Vancouver to me. They kind of paused over the island during the cinematic too.

Lemondish

I could go on with areas from Scotland, Ireland, Devon, Cornwall etc. All looking vastly different my point was there's a bit of everything in the UK. Sure, you might not find a mesa or Grand Canyon, though we have Cheddar Gorge, and although it's not on the same scale it's different than anywhere else and there's more than enough in the UK to cover a number of tick boxes in an open world game location, especially post-post apocalyptic where who knows what has happened to different continents.

Except you missed the part where there are no mountains surrounding London.

I'm sticking with Vancouver as my guess.

Wait, is this real - Zoetis works for GG and has confirmed no more Killzone? That's a pretty big deal if true.

I loved the Velocity 2X soundtrack, but it's worth noting that's most of it is remixed tracks from the first game, which I *think* was composed by FuturLab employee James Marsters.

Wow, I had no idea! I just looked it up and it seems like about half are remixes. It's a strikingly consistent style between the remixes and the original stuff. My favorite track on the soundtrack (Boost) seems to be a Joris joint? So that's pretty cool. Serious kudos to both those guys though. The Velocity games have GOAT-tier soundtracks.

Striek

Killzone 2's dark menacing claustrophobic WW2-style theme should have been the standard. Everything about it. Yeah, Rico should have been killed off sooner than later but KZ2 was and remains unique in that genre and GG failed to built upon it.

Nope. I have no idea where this WW2 theme is coming from in KZ2 but KZ3 is a far, far superior game. Its also still mediocre, but KZ2 was just bad.

That's because GG received complaints about KZ2 being too dark & grey, plus the cry babies whining about the lag/weight of the weapons.. KZ3 was basically CODized for the Gen. pop.

That's because GG received complaints about KZ2 being too dark & grey, plus the cry babies whining about the lag/weight of the weapons.. KZ3 was basically CODized for the Gen. pop.

What a fucking travesty. KZ3 was a severe disappointment after all that complaints and they still did not win over the said complainers. Rule #1 for game developers, stick to your hardcore fans.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
No we don't know and I bet he is not a GG Dev just someone with good connections

If he's Dutch his user name could be a pun on a children's song we have, 'Wie zoet is krijgt lekkers, wie stout is de roe', which roughly translates to something like 'behave and you get a treat, misbehave and you'll be punished'. It's a stretch though.

andycapps

I don't doubt that the UK has diverse locations, but if they were wanting to base it on earth with the most diverse locations in a single country they'd probably do somewhere in Asia or North America.

Lemondish said:
Except you missed the part where there are no mountains surrounding London.

I'm sticking with Vancouver as my guess.

Post-post-apocalyptic game set in the Pacific Northwest? Sign me up.

Nope. I have no idea where this WW2 theme is coming from in KZ2 but KZ3 is a far, far superior game. Its also still mediocre, but KZ2 was just bad.

Shhh. I've learned that it's best to keep quiet about telling people they're wrong about KZ3 being better than 2.

However, saying they're bad is completely wrong. They're in the second to top percentile of shooters.

I don't doubt that the UK has diverse locations, but if they were wanting to base it on earth with the most diverse locations in a single country they'd probably do somewhere in Asia or North America.

That makes no sense. America is huge. How many states have mountains, deserts, forests and plains? For its size, the UK is one of the most diverse locations on the planet.

Dead Man

Why would they base it on a single 21st century country?

Top Bottom