• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How a Lying Youtuber(Sargon) Ruined MTV's attempt to explain BLM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarky

Banned
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/barrierbreaker/how-a-lying-youtuber-ruined-mtvs-attempt-to-explain-blm/

Two days ago, MTV came out with a video that did an excellent job explaining Black Lives Matter. However, if you look at it, you’ll see that it’s downvoted to hell — although it seems like a decent video, it has 24, 084 views and a 75% “dislike” percentage. Visitors may wonder — why? The video actually looks like it’s a helpful, sensible explanation.

For the culprit, you need look no farther than a popular YouTuber named Sargon of Akkad, who downright lies to discredit the helpful video. His video critique, which just came out yesterday, has about 163,000 views as of the time of this writing, and a 97% “like” percentage.

First, the original MTV video discusses the question: Why isn’t Black Lives Matter concerned about Black-on-Black crime?

To answer the question dead on, Francesca (the person in the MTV video) explains that it’s a matter of focus, and that other organizations like Cease Fire are looking into Black-on-Black Crime. The purpose of Black Lives Matter is to eradicate violence from police officers — regardless of their race. It’s a matter of focus. This does not, however, mean that the black community is not concerned about gun violence in its communities — it is. It’s just that the arm of black communities that is Black Lives Matter has a specific goal. If the black community is concerned about gun violence, the question seems pointless — Black Lives Matter is just focused on a subcategory of concern.

Sargon of Akkad ignores this fact, instead stating that the problem is that Black Lives Matter is not concerned about black-on-black crime (ignoring, apparently, that there are black people in law enforcement). But different organizations have different focuses — this is normal. The objection to this is somewhat confusing.

See, what Francesca is doing is showing that criticizing Black Lives Matter for not doing the work of Cease Fire is ridiculous. These are different organizations with different focuses. Good point. And yet, Sargon of Akkad, completely missing the point, continues for the rest of the video criticize Black Lives Matter for not doing that work.

There's more details in the link.

God I hate Sargon.

Never heard of his channel before but looking at it now this guy is a real piece of work. Though I'm pretty sure video would've been down voted to hell regardless. Almost all videos on Youtube that paint BLM in a positive light are.

Slayven

Never heard of his channel before but looking at it now this guy is a real piece of work. Though I'm pretty sure video would've been down voted to hell regardless. Almost all videos on Youtube that paint BLM in a positive light are.

Well black people period.

This alt right dudes have too much time on their hands. They should use some of it for self reflection.

That said does likes and down votes really mean anything anymore? Other to shoutdown something or circle jerk it?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

This alt right dudes have too much time on their hands. They should use some of it for self reflection.

That said does likes and down votes really mean anything anymore? Other to shoutdown something or circle jerk it?

Going by some of his video titles he seems more alt-left than right. Either way he's a real piece of work.

Patryn

Why am I not surprised. I recall this guy's name coming up a lot during GamerGate. From what I recall, he's also a pretty hardcore MRA.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That asshole's video keeps showing up in my "recommended videos" section. I don't think I even ever clicked on any of his links, wtf?

DedValve

Banned

The down/upvotes never meant anything other than what people think of it. Which imo is still powerful and useful. This is more proof that black people can't have an intelligent conversation about their history and right to be treated equally without the other side closing their ears going la-la-la.

I see in protest threads ALL the time how violent protesting isn't the way to go and black people should open a dialogue. Here is one such open dialogue. Here is said dialogue being downvoted to hell.

I stumbled upon one of his video defending GamerGate.

Felt dirty afterwards. At that time I didn't know he had this much of an "influence".

Now I can't seem to get rid of him.

Slayven

Going by some of his video titles he seems more alt-left than right. Either way he's a real piece of work.

when it comes to race alt right and alt left sounds scarily the same.

Alt Right:" Shut up"

Alt Left:" Shut up, we will call you when we need warm bodies"

Breads

Banned
I watch his channel because that guy is fucking bizarre. Put any article or video in front of him and he will get so worked up over it. But because he has a brit accent everything he says has an air of credibility so no matter what he says he riles people up somehow. Even if he contradicts his own long standing observations.

All sides of all arguments have flagged him a useful idiot for their/ the opposition's cause and his ideology seems to be super mega reactionary contrarian.

How the fuck does that happen.

Oh right he says what he says to make money and he is full of shit. Still funny to watch sometimes.

lazygecko

People like Sargon pretty much base their livelihoods on latching on to whatever news they can in order to rile up thrir viewerbase of angry alt-righters. It's practically sn industry at this point. It's all very cold and calculated to ensure a regular output of videos for those lucrative clicks.

I hate the way that YouTubers and other internet "celebrities" build these sort of cult of personalities around themselves wherein their followers will blindly agree with anything they spout, even if it is unsourced nonsense.

Not surprised in the slightest. Sargon has a track record of being a racist, homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic parasite.

FyreWulff

"but what about black on black crime" is usually the giant label of "i'm a fucking racist and don't puncture my bouncy castle of ideas and life" because the white on white crime rate is higher than any other race.

The rationalia idiots should read the statistics for what they actually say: the country is still immensely segregated, so perpetrators and victims are more likely to involve those of their own race.

People like Sargon pretty much base their livelihoods on latching on to whatever news they can in order to rile up thrir viewerbase of angry alt-righters. It's practically sn industry at this point. It's all very cold and calculated to ensure a regular output of videos for those lucrative clicks.

Exactly. Easy money.

He thinks black people are in a cult of victimization and doesn't believe slavery or history has any effect on the now (except when it negatively affects white people). Literally, he is a moron.

Really? Looking at his videos I titles (not going to give him any clicks) he seems pretty alt right. Criticizing black people, feminism, Islam etc... What's the difference between alt-right and alt left anyways?

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat

So basically the American version of Paul Joseph Watson.

Once you've met one of his type, you've pretty much seen them all.

Ty4on

That asshole's video keeps showing up in my "recommended videos" section. I don't think I even ever clicked on any of his links, wtf?
Same here, also with Thunderfoot.

It was especially bad during gamergate because I followed from the other side, but it still pops up every now and then even though I don't watch any remotely related. I don't think I've ever clicked on a Sargon video logged into my YT profile and I definitely hadn't before they started popping up.

I hate how they always seem to portray YouTube as being against them when YouTube's algorithms seem to adore their videos and are partly responsible for the big view counts. It wouldn't surprise me if their videos recruited more gators than anything else online.

Odrion

Banned
I don't know if you can consider mass down votes "ruining" a video. Usually if there's a liberal video attacking alt-right principles, they tend to get vote bombed.
Click on the three dots on the video name and select "not interested".

Did he do anything else besides encouraging people to downvote the video? The guys annoying and a moron, but I wouldn't say he ruined the video.

AntChum

Sargon should spend less time being a shitty human being and more time being a shitty game developer. Oh wait, his shitty game concept failed to materialise.

To be honest I've never heard of this organisation called cease fire before but have heard about black lives matter over and over again. Is cease fire simply not funded or able to get people in the media interested in their cause? Not watching any Sargon video to see what he said.

Sunster

Ever since I watched a Laci Green video he and "The Amazing Atheist" are all over my recommended videos.

Fuck these alt-right pundits. At this point, I'm starting to think they are gaming the YouTube algorithm to always be on right sidebar next to innocuous gaming videos. I never watch their videos. Not even as a joke.

That comment section is a dumpster fire. At least there are some woke people there aware of the the neckbeard brigade occurring.

It's so weird to me that some people don't get that the fact that when some movements / organizations focus one one matter it doesn't mean that the people behind or in support of said movements don't also care about other things.
It's ok to focus on things.

Kinda like when people complain about gay pride by asking where their straight pride is.

It's amazing how enormous idiots like Sargon have managed to convince so many people that they're logical and rational. Their arguments don't stand up to even a little bit of fact-checking.

Ever since I watched a Laci Green video he and "The Amazing Atheist" are all over my recommended videos.

Hbomb's Youtube Censorship addon for Chrome and Firefox will take care of that.

zaccheus

Banned
I like his channel for his history stuff. Not really a fan of his videos on social commentary since he comes off as a total dick and doesn't really take into consideration any context. though I did like his video making fun of the people who label everything as 'problematic'. I don't like that my youtube suggestions sometimes show up with a sargon of akkad video with names like

"Why Do Black People Commit More Crime?"
"Why Do People Hate Feminism?"

etc.

BTW the black people video sounds a lot worse than it actually is, (His conclusion is that socio economic status of most black people in america leads to crime, and has nothing to do with them as a people..) the super MRAs in the comments of that video hate on him for not being the racist that they wish he was.

Brakke

Banned
That MTV lady is cool and that GamerGate-ass Sargon dude sucks, so the battle lines are easy here. I wonder how do we claim that he "ruined" the "attempt to explain" tho. What does a bunch of downvotes matter? Does anybody ever land on a YouTube video and then think "oh it is downvoted I will not watch it then"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom