• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How a Lying Youtuber(Sargon) Ruined MTV's attempt to explain BLM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The comments on the Sargon video are amazing in a horrific way. Just straight up "Racism is natural and awesome" with no obfuscation or apology for it. Tells you everything you need to know about the video, really.

marrec

Banned
Saigon is a lying demagogue who uses his masses of drooling racist, misogynistic followers for money and for his own personal down vote bot.

koji kabuto

Saigon is a lying demagogue who uses his masses of drooling racist, misogynistic followers for money and for his own personal down vote bot.

The first time i know about his existence is when i stumbled upon one of his videos when i was googling GamerGate to know what the hell was it about, He used the N word at least 2 times when i decided that i have heard enough of his racist BS.

Plus he is pro brexit lol

I watched ShoeOnHead's videos from time to time, and now my feed is only people like Argon.

I don't get how someone like Argon can be so pissed off the second someone not of his "kind" speaks up. What are you so afraid of losing?

They're in the same camp so it makes sense you'd be getting Sargon videos.

This makes me sad, because ShoeOnHead can be quite funny, and she's mocking pretty stupid videos. She in general doesn't seem to hate feminism, just people complaining for nothing.

Might just have to stop watching her :(

His videos sometimes pop up in my recommendations.
Occasionally I watch a few minutes and think to myself that this guy can't have an audience with this bullshit, then I scroll to the comments and see nicknames like "Feminism is cancer" and I lose hope in humanity.

This makes me sad, because ShoeOnHead can be quite funny, and she's mocking pretty stupid videos. She in general doesn't seem to hate feminism, just people complaining for nothing.

She was quick to jump in bed with Gamergate. She has a video called oppresion quest or something in which she discusses her take on the Zoe Quinn thing. Let's just say it begins with her putting on a blue wig and mocking Zoe Quinn. Then later she sources such reliable things such as as EncyclopediaDramatica, and her association to MundaneMatt. Basically an all around terrible person.

a lot of brits in the alt right/gamergate hoods, is there a reason for that?

Because idiots think having an English accent = smart, despite, of course, English accents being quite diverse and having their own stereotypes associated with class, ethnicity, and region like here in the US, which means people of various levels of intelligence and kindness can speak the same accent. Hopefully the Brexit will help shake up the stereotype...

or it might just mean people start using Scottish accents to sound smart.

joe2187

Banned
I dont really understand how these youtube "critics" come to be so popular.

I subscribe only to a handful of gaming channels, and only recently unsubscribed from AngryVideoGameNerd after a while.

Like, do people really watch youtube for news resources, history and facts?

Carcetti

I subscribe only to a handful of gaming channels, and only recently unsubscribed from AngryVideoGameNerd after a while.

People with no critical thinking skills believe that Youtubers are somehow 'honest' by definition because they are just 'normal individuals'.

SaviourMK2

Does it hurt the BLM cause if a white person, like me, just starts beating the shit out of All Lives Matter and anti-BLM people?

I'm becoming genuinely spiteful of my own culture for being so stupid.

Oppo

you weren't kidding. gold in the image attributions.

”I'm for finding the truth of the matter using rational arguments backed up by evidence. I do my own research and I try to be thorough. I also like to have in-depth conversations with stimulating people on a wide variety of subjects, varying from gaming, anti-ideology,[note 1] history and fiction.
—Sargon of Akkad, a "classical liberal" and an entirely objective, neutral, non-ideological person[4]

“”The only people who are actually oppressed by capitalism are people who either can't work, people who've lost a leg or are morbidly obese or something like that, or people who don't want to work because they're fucking lazy, or people who don't have any other skills because they did gender studies degrees. Believe it or not, everyone else actually does pretty well out of capitalism, y'know, something like a house, a car, holidays, food on the table, entertainment, luxuries.
—Sargon of Akkad, who has never Googled "poverty"[9]

After the Cheerios commercial, this isn't surprising. Hope the best for Francesca an co.

And this asshole is supposedly "left-wing"? Now the Reuters article showing 1/4 Democrats are racist start to make some sense.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1240297&highlight=

Same. I've always been subscribed to video game channels that thankfully never cared for this shit. (Closest being Jim Sterling.)

So I'm glad to be behind the loop of any of this.
Never heard of him till this thread. Similarly to how I never heard of Leafy, Keemstar, etc till recently. The less popular assholes I'm aware of, the better.

Kuroyume

Banned
If the focus of BLM is police brutality than someone explain the Mizzou thing last year with the football team, or the recent event where they hijacked the eulogy for the Orlando victims? Neither of which had to do with police brutality.

Going by some of his video titles he seems more alt-left than right. Either way he's a real piece of work.

This is the first time I've heard the term "alt-left", and I'd say it applies, but it sure is interesting that the alt-left and the alt-right both hate black people. :)

When I say interesting, I mean "not surprising".

deli2000

If the focus of BLM is police brutality than someone explain the Mizzou thing last year with the football team, or the recent event where they hijacked the eulogy for the Orlando victims? Neither of which had to do with police brutality.

I guess those two cases of individuals doing things under the BLM name totally means you can discredit it. We had our chance and we blew it guys. Now everybody knows we're just a hate group.

I don't even think either of those things have anything to do with BLM thinking about it.

BLM's execution is (real) sloppy, but I'm not gonna accept those that want to paint the whole movement AND its intent as something that isn't simply about wanting the law/government to treat black people equally as well as everyone else.

Pizoxuat

He's a prime example of a Brogressive - left-wing views on anything that could improve his standard of living, right-wing when it comes to literally anything else.

I like his channel for his history stuff. Not really a fan of his videos on social commentary since he comes off as a total dick and doesn't really take into consideration any context. though I did like his video making fun of the people who label everything as 'problematic'. I don't like that my youtube suggestions sometimes show up with a sargon of akkad video with names like

"Why Do Black People Commit More Crime?"
"Why Do People Hate Feminism?"

etc.

BTW the black people video sounds a lot worse than it actually is, (His conclusion is that socio economic status of most black people in america leads to crime, and has nothing to do with them as a people..) the super MRAs in the comments of that video hate on him for not being the racist that they wish he was.

That "Why Do Black People Commit More Crime" video is still awful and how he uses that data to absolve a mythical concept like "White Supremacy" is deliberate.

This is the first time I've heard the term "alt-left", and I'd say it applies, but it sure is interesting that the alt-left and the alt-right both hate black people. :)

I suppose that alt media sets itself up as being an alternative to mainstream media that is heavily influenced by governments and media moguls. But I would question how really free some self proclaimed alt media is from those influences. Especially outlets that are highly political and have access to insider sources that would suggest that they are very deeply hand in glove with intelligence agencies.

Syder

Put any article or video in front of him and he will get so worked up over it. But because he's has a Brit accent everything he says has an air of credibility so no matter what he says he riles people up somehow. Even if he contradicts his own long standing observations.
^This should be the tagline for his channel. You summed up his raison d'être perfectly.

I'm subbed and not because I share his views but because I like to hear views alternate to mine. I think it's healthy to get into the mindset of the ''other side'' every now and again. With that said, he can construct a decent argument and is a fairly good debater. I understand why he has a following.

lazygecko

I suppose that alt media sets itself up as being an alternative to mainstream media that is heavily influenced by governments and media moguls. But I would question how really free some self proclaimed alt media is from those influences. Especially outlets that are highly political and have access to insider sources that would suggest that they are very deeply hand in glove with intelligence agencies.

The depressing irony in all of this is how Russian intelligence has been directly linked to influencing and fanning the flames of the alt right (and plain old far right) as part of their operation to destabilize Europe. They have really ramped up their information warfare as a means to compensate for their lesser military might, and this might be one of their crowning acheivements.

Anarky

Banned
^This should be the tagline for his channel. You summed up his raison d'être perfectly.

I'm subbed and not because I share his views but because I like to hear views alternate to mine. I think it's healthy to get into the mindset of the ''other side'' every now and again. With that said, he can construct a decent argument and is a fairly good debater. I understand why he has a following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfCkp0Juao

Lmao

Syder

a lot of brits in the alt right/gamergate hoods, is there a reason for that?
It's our accents. You can spout any ol' bollocks if you have a middle-class accent and people Americans will buy it.

What am I supposed to be seeing here? (it's over an hour long) Does he slip up in this or something? I'm not defending him, I do think he's a very troubled individual but he can speak eloquently and I've seen a few videos where he's fighting the 'losing' side and still 'won' the debate.

YouTubers like this rely on spamming their subscribers feeds with clickbait-y hot topic titles. When said 'content' creators 'debate' each other it can lead to hilarity.

MUnited83

For you.
I find it kind of telling that it's overwhelmingly these kind of angry pundit videos that flood your YouTube recommendations if you so much viewed anything even remotely related to the subject matter.

It's so fucking annoying. I saw one video of Louis CK making a joke about feminists and now my recommendations are full of anti-feminist fuckwites.

Azzanadra

I discovered Sargon and other "anti establishment" political commentators- Dave Rubin, Milo, Sargon etc.- about a year ago. They have been an interesting bunch to watch, let me tell ya that. Rubin and Sargon especially claim to be "the real liberals" for lambasting movements like BLM and Feminism and fair enough- they should be able to say whatever the fuck they want (in accordance with free speech), but the level of misinformation is dangerous, and unfortunately their followers ironically ignore the other side while fettishizing their own.

Lime

I don't think you become more informed by letting literal shit into your ears and brain.

I promise you, you are wasting your precious limited time on this Earth by watching his bigoted bullshit.

The depressing irony in all of this is how Russian intelligence has been directly linked to influencing and fanning the flames of the alt right (and plain old far right) as part of their operation to destabilize Europe. They have really ramped up their information warfare as a means to compensate for their lesser military might, and this might be one of their crowning acheivements.

It's a confusing scene since they both lie to exaggerate the popularity of their efforts and deny that they have any interest in influencing people overseas at the same time.

Syder

I don't think you become more informed by letting literal shit into your ears and brain.

I promise you, you are wasting your precious limited time on this Earth by watching his bigoted bullshit.
Being informed isn't the purpose. Just to clear it up, I'm not an avid viewer or anything and usually find myself clicking off after a few minutes anyway. Also, pre- and post-Brexit I wanted to hear as many different opinions on the referendum before deciding to be a Remain voter.

Anarky

Banned
It's our accents. You can spout any ol' bollocks if you have a middle-class accent and people Americans will buy it.

What am I supposed to be seeing here? (it's over an hour long) Does he slip up in this or something? I'm not defending him, I do think he's a very troubled individual but he can speak eloquently and I've seen a few videos where he's fighting the 'losing' side and still 'won' the debate.

YouTubers like this rely on spamming their subscribers feeds with clickbait-y hot topic titles. When said 'content' creators 'debate' each other it can lead to hilarity.

Note: I know you're not defending him I just don't don't think he's really that good of a debater.

To give an example for most of the video he kind of wanders away from the main motion to talk about things that aren't really relevant to the subject at hand.

He also acts kind of passive aggressive and dismissive for parts of the debate doing stuff like fake yawning or an air violin gesture.

Opto

Banned
I remember this guy somehow worming his way into my youtube recommendations. After several IGNORE THIS selections, the youtube algorithm finally learned

Condom

Going by some of his video titles he seems more alt-left than right. Either way he's a real piece of work.

when it comes to race alt right and alt left sounds scarily the same.

Alt Right:" Shut up"

Alt Left:" Shut up, we will call you when we need warm bodies"

what the hell is this? In what way is this guy a leftist?

And what the hell is the Alt left?

Maybe you guys are just on some 'derp radical left is the same as the radical right' kool aid because in reality the radical left is on the forefront of anti-racism since forever.

Vinland

Banned
I listen to both sides of the argument at length and I've watched my share of Sargon videos to find the flaw in his argument. I've never seen anything but a person who tries to be egalitarian and apply his reasoning consistently across topics.

In fact his DePaul university video is actually really good. It's pretty shocking the level of detail he went into. And the level of empathy he had for the man he called into question was tangible.

I think people need a reality check on what discourse means. If you can't listen to the opposition then what fucking use are you in a conversation.

ShoeOnHead is pretty anti-feminist, and she's a gamergator. Nearly every video she makes is about shitting on feminism. Of course you're getting Sargon Of Akkad videos, along with all the other alt-right Youtubers like Amazing Atheist, Thunderfoot, Alpha Omega Sin, MrRepzion. I'm not sure why you even started watching her without knowing this, considering she's been at this for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom