• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you keep your cats out of your consoles?

Colbert

Banned
Based on your picture, I don't blame the cat for jumping up there, that's a nice, flat, elevated perch for them to look down into the room, and that's what they like.

So if you can't put it somewhere else, at least remove the flat part of the portion. Just put your controllers, or minifigs (I used to use mini-muggs), or anything that isn't going to give the cat a flat spot to lay down on.

Or go with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006G4V5I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah, the cat must think this ...

I10lHkl.jpg

Lijik

I kind of lucked out since my cats have no interest in my consoles. They much prefer laying on newspaper when someone is reading it, or my sketchbook when Im trying to draw when it comes to being obnoxious. Probably helps theres taller and nicer perches for them in the room.

lionpants

What's your shelving setup?

I moved in with my girlfriend, who already had a cat, and we've adopted a kitten. I have one of these Ikea shelves (turned horizontally) as my TV stand/game and console storage unit. The PS4 shares space in one of the cubbyholes with my 360, which gives both consoles enough ventilation, but are just tight enough to discourage cats from getting in and trying to soak up the fahrenheit.
Virtual props, same stand I have.

OP: Grab the cat and force relentless cuddling upon it whenever it jumps on your XB1. Problem fixed.

If it loves cuddles this may cause it to jump on your XB1 more often. So your mileage may vary.

zruben

Banned
By having a dog instead.

NeoGaf --> Internet --> NeoGaf

on a serious note, about OP's problem.
it's easy to correct a cat behavior, you just need good timing with the punishment.

get a water gun, whenever you see the cat attempting to sit on your Xbone, shoot him a little squirt, make sure he doesn't see you; he has to associate "Xbone = water squirt", do this 4-5 times, and he will learn.

another way is to make the Xbone surface "unpleasant" for him for a couple of days. There's several ways to do this:
-Cover the surface in aluminium foil, they hate that
-Put double sided tape on the surface
-Put sticky contact paper on the surface
-There's a spray they sell on pet stores to repel cats. Don't spray it over your Xbone, but get it on a towel and "rub it" over the Xbone, so it can get its smell.

Just cover your console with something when it's off (i use a cloth) and if it goes on the console while you're playing just pull it off. I have always done so and i have two cats, now they rarely go on my consoles and when they do they're just passing. You have to teach him not to go on your console.

Mikado

You should tell the cat where it is, and where it should go:
If it gets on your console while you are playing, you should firmly and loudly say "Xbox! Off!"

Seriously tho. Yelling at, or spraying things at a cat isn't gonna help. Maybe the cat is cold so it's looking for a nice warm console to sit on. If the creature is at all sociable maybe you can encourage him/her to just chill out on your lap when it's game time?

alienator

My cat was hunting a fly once. he caught it. by jumping into my 47" bravia LCD , leaving 3 permanent holes in it. And u complain it just sits on your console? :)

Zaku

I frequently use wired controllers, so that wouldn't be a good solution for me. Maybe if I got new shelves and used USB extenders...

I've got a pair of USB extenders for all my corded stuff, and have the ends at the base of a lower shelf which I use for games in my backlog. I have the both ends of each cord color-coded so that I can swap them between consoles as needed.

Worse case scenario, the cats pull the cords out of the USB rather than potentially pulling a console crashing to the floor.

Man, one of these days I should tidy things up and take a picture for the gaming setups thread...

zruben

Banned
about the box thingie:

cats usually ignore boxes when they "fill them" with their smell...
a new box is a new challenge for him...

and about the nail problem, you can easily trim them with this:
nail_trimmer3.jpg

just make sure to not trim the "pink thingie" they have inside the nail. It's really easy to see.

if you can't trim the nails; get this:
lg-70034-0813-cat.jpg

Red Comet

I have this problem terribly with my cat. Basically I have to barricade my computer and consoles with empty boxes when I'm not using them or if I'm not at home. I've given up trying to train him through discipline or any other means.

iMax

about the box thingie:

cats usually ignore boxes when they "fill them" with their smell...
a new box is a new challenge for him...

and about the nail problem, you can easily trim them with this:
nail_trimmer3.jpg

just make sure to not trim the "pink thingie" they have inside the nail. It's really easy to see.

if you can't trim the nails; get this:
lg-70034-0813-cat.jpg

Don't do this.

My cats would sleep on my tv back in the day and their tails would always hang down in front of the screen, the moment I got a flat screen tv my cat tried to jump on it not realizing that it was only about 2 inches thick, and fell down the back lol.

Another cat of mine used to love sleeping on my OG xbox, when I stuck my dreamcast on top of it for a while it's rather annoying to find a cat trying to sit on it.

My cat used to bite on every cord I had going through my entertainment center, including biting all the way through my Kinect cable. The solution was going as wireless as possible, and getting an enclosed entertainment center- the one I have h has glass doors, that are usually closed, but when I'm gaming I open them for ventilation purposes. It has done the trick! And now she only rules over 99% of my house.

Stet

Banned
what?? why??... it's an "inside cat", they don't fully need their claws. I'm not declawing them, it's just trimming.

They're not taking issue with trimming their nails, they're taking issue with putting big bits of swallowable plastic on your cat's nails.

iMax

what?? why??... it's an "inside cat", they don't fully need their claws. I'm not declawing them, it's just trimming.

Speak to any vet and they'll tell you not to do this. Doesn't matter if it's an "inside cat". Trimming a cat's claws is not the same as trimming your own nails. And cats absolutely need their "full" claws.

If you're having issues with cats scratching your furniture, it's simply because your cat hasn't got anything else to scratch. Get some scratching posts, pads, whatever. But do not touch them yourself.

They're not taking issue with trimming their nails, they're taking issue with putting big bits of swallowable plastic on your cat's nails.

Oh, I certainly am taking issue with trimming their claws. But this is also an important consideration.

Colbert

Banned
My cat used to bite on every cord I had going through my entertainment center, including biting all the way through my Kinect cable. The solution was going as wireless as possible, and getting an enclosed entertainment center- the one I have h has glass doors, that are usually closed, but when I'm gaming I open them for ventilation purposes. It has done the trick! And now she only rules over 99% of my house.

Don't go wireless with the Xbox One, you will get strange NAT behaviour and low download speeds. And don't put those colored nails on your cat Aaaarggghhhh!

Stet

Banned
Speak to any vet and they'll tell you not to do this. Doesn't matter if it's an "inside cat". Trimming a cat's claws is not the same as trimming your own nails. And cats absolutely need their "full" claws.

If you're having issues with cats scratching your furniture, it's simply because your cat hasn't got anything else to scratch. Get some scratching posts, pads, whatever. But do not touch them yourself.

Wait what?

Vets cut cats nails all the time.

Linkyn

Just because the cat scratches the cardboard box doesn't necessarily mean it'll do anything to the console. It might paw once or twice, realise that there is no feedback (as there would be with a softer material) and should lose interest. In that sense, it may be a complete non-issue that certainly wouldn't warrant getting in the cat's face and possibly causing it injury. Not when there are much simpler and more elegant solutions (and probably not otherwise).

Edit:
Wait what?

Vets cut cats nails all the time.

This really depends on where you live. I never even heard of declawing or trimming until a few years ago, because they're not only not performed where I grew up, they're considered animal curelty or very bad form, at the least.

Zaku

Oh, I certainly am taking issue with trimming their claws. But this is also an important consideration.

As long as you know what you're doing, trimming a cat's nails is fine. If a vet is telling you not to do it, it's because they don't trust you're competent enough to grasp how to do so correctly.

You can only cut the tips. If you cut too deeply, you cut into the quick of the nail, where there's nerves and blood vessels. That can injure a cat, and is why declawing them is so terrible.

zruben

Banned

ok, yeah, you're right, it's a risk, but it's not really harmful for the digestive system of a cat (according to my vet and the product package), but I agree, it's a questionable practice, and that's why I proposed the trimming as first option.

well, my vet is the one who make the recommendation, and I've read enough about cats and assisted enough conferences about cats behavior to know what I'm doing.

I seriously think you're confusing trimming with declawing.

wild need their full claws to:
a) defend themselves
b) hunt
c) climbing surfaces

an inside cat only need them to mark territory, they don't need the full claw for that, they can do that even with the trimmed nail, but the damage to the furniture (or console, in this case) will be way less harmful.

providing alternative surfaces is also a great idea, but it's important that they are in the same location as the stuff they're marking.

Pons

Neo Member
Classical conditioning, my man. Every time it touches your console, spray it with a water bottle until it gets off. After enough times, the cat will get the message.

This man lies :) . I have a cat that gets up in the grill of my ps4 constantly, to the point I have pushed the ps4 back in the tv stand so as to try and mitigate it. I spray the cat daily with a water bottle I keep just for this purpose when it bows up on my ps4...it runs off...and invariable comes back repeatedly...every...day...

Cat's don't give a fuck.

Also, when utilizing the water bottle, either be close enough not to miss the cat, or err on the side of pointing towards the floor and not the direction of the ps4 :p

tqqD6Lx.png

I'm not sure I'd trust my 40" on top of that horizontally, but vertically, it would fit our books and games, and possibly free up room to put the Xbone on a lower shelf with less cat room. Hmm...

That box is 2 months old.

You need a better setup in general. Look at the PS4 shoved in the background like an afterthought. Is that two 360s sitting on top of one another?

No wonder that cat looks pissed.

Mugatu

show him how blurry games look at 900p.

LOL

But seriously, cats can be taught like any other animal. Just move him whenever he goes there or better yet, find him a place he likes better like a box or a scratching post with catnip, if he likes that.

zruben

Banned
This man lies :) . I have a cat that gets up in the grill of my ps4 constantly, to the point I have pushed the ps4 back in the tv stand so as to try and mitigate it. I spray the cat daily with a water bottle I keep just for this purpose when it bows up on my ps4...it runs off...and invariable comes back repeatedly...every...day...

Cat's don't give a fuck.

Also, when utilizing the water bottle, either be close enough not to miss the cat, or err on the side of pointing towards the floor and not the direction of the ps4 :p

the key to conditioning a cat with a water spray is that they never notice that there's a human doing it... you have to play dumb and make them associate thing = water spray

if they associate a human to the water spray, you're conditioning them against the human.

Give it more love and over time try and convince it to see things from your point of view. Maybe it will change its behavior.

Kill it.

Gong

You do realise that the cat is actually Batman (lovely markings) and as such can do whatever the fuck it wants? ;-)

Seriously tho, I have a couple of consoles set up at my girlfriends, and bar the initial novelty of investigating the new things I'd placed in the entertainment unit (hers is an open plan one), they pretty much ended up more interested in another human to bug. So as my part of this bargain they've struck with me, I give them lots of attention before I sit down to game.

Kirby is very much the boss, but a big softie, while Martha is a rescue cat and is also very loving and I've spent time making sure they're comfy with me. As a result they're more interested in the human on the sofa who they used to trick into giving them extra food by being cute before the girlfriend caught wind of their plan. Both of them are extremely laid back and are far more interested in coming to me for cuddles now while I sit gaming on either side of me to actually bother with anything else. Here's a prime example of what I mean, Kirby having his chin tickled:

I don't mind, I just know if I want peace I have to indulge both of them every so often, and it works as they don't even so much as sniff at what's in the unit the console resides in. Maybe I'm lucky, but I would say my advice is to try giving the cat more attention before you sit down to game, see if it makes a difference, and as a side effect, they love that and it'll just end up chilling out big time, freeing you up to stop worrying about it jumping all over your stuff hopefully.

I used to detest cats, was always a dog person, but those two have turned my head big time. They don't give a fuck and are made of pure attitude, but when they accept you, it's pretty much unconditional and they make me laugh like mad at some of the stuff they get up to.

Jolkien

Cats can learn but the older they are the harder it is to break their habits. Most cats have intellect of a 2 years old. If it's an older cat it'll take longer to not make him go there if it's young it shouldn't take long.

If your girlfriend moved in recently the cat may have trouble adapting to his new house. Since you can't use water near your electronic, clap your hand or use a strong voice. Even now and then my cat tries to climb on the counter, I don't even have to move I just use my ''angry'' voice and it comes back down and he tries it again rarely. And I'd say reward him when he does something great either by playing a bit with it or a treat (don't go overboard :p)

Top Bottom