• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is it that nobody is bothered by a 18-year-old game being sold for 70 dollars?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At least for all you Yanks, games are $60-70 for ages. Us Canucks have pricing currency converted. During times currency is in parity (rare), games will be $60-70 too. But when its a shit exchange rate (like for years), a $70 US game is $90 minimum. P3R sells at $93.49 CDN. Add tax which for all provinces is 13-15% (except Alberta at I think 7%), and a full priced game is about $105.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I'm talking about Persona 3. How did we accept this situation, could you explain?
New assets? New Scenes? Redone UI, seemingly from the ground up.
That's just off the top of my head and $69.99... it's not exactly uncommon for a game to be 69.99 and it not be a big triple A release.

Kamina

Golden Boy
My desire for a remake doesn't mean I want it to be merely touched up with low effort akin to a remaster and sold for $70.
P3 doesn’t look that low effort to me, but whatever.
Some people never played it before and may be willing to pay. Others are hardcore fans and therefore willing to pay.
Those that can wait will until it is reduced or find other ways, like Gamepass or physical sales.

Last edited:

Moses85

Why act gamers like Beta Testers and buy unfinished games?

Because they are

You Are Dumb Mario Lopez GIF

I got into Persona with Persona 5.

I've played a bit of Persona 4, but really excited to play the Persona 3 remake with a lot of the QOL improvements and graphical improvements of P5.

I had no problem paying 70 dollars for it.

The age of the original game doesn't matter. This game will last for 80 hours, it's well worth 70 dollars. If they announce a P4 remake, I might hold off playing the version I already own and buy and play that version. I'm probably 15 hours into P4.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Does this OP know about the Final Fantasy VII Remake trilogy
They completely revamped the game from top to bottom, they changed the gameplay system and transitioned the graphics from 2D to 3D and it's even said that the second game will be open-world? The production quality and budget are over the top. Comparing this to that seems pointless.

buenoblue

I mean if you don't like it just dont but it lol 🤷‍♂️
Life is to short to be angry about things your not bothered about

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Demon's Souls was a full price remake and many people were OK with it and the 6th archstone wasn't added.

I guess it depends on the expectations of the buyer.

StereoVsn

Personally I would be fine with this Remake if they just put all the content from Persona 3, Persona 3 FES and Persona 3 Portable into Remake. Instead it's just them remaking Persona 3
Atlus calls this “Perfect DLC opportunity “. Well, for the Answer. I don’t think they are going to add FeMC route… That’s for P3 Reload Reloaded to the Max in 2-3 years. 😉

A full-on ground-up remake is essentially the same amount of work as making a new game, so I'm honestly not clear why some people have this view.
While I agree with the general content of your post, I think this affirmation is quite an overstatement, at least for a remake like this ( as opposed to say, mainly something like Ff7, but also RE2) that doesn't change the fundamental structure of the gameplay or the story. Sure, every asset needed to be remade, voice rerecorded, gameplay tweaked, but you already have a functioning bluecopy to follow. This is even more true for a game, as Persona, were assets are relatively cheaply made and a good bunch of the work is spent is in establishing character, interactions , story, style and atmosphere . So, yeah, I don't really think that in this remake is gone the same amount of that for a new Persona...

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Can we end these "how come nobody...?" threads? Where do I propose rules here? Unless you can prove that you spoke to at least 100 people about this, you can't start a "How come nobody...?" thread. For fucks sake...

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Can we end these "how come nobody...?" threads? Where do I propose rules here? Unless you can prove that you spoke to at least 100 people about this, you can't start a "How come nobody...?" thread. For fucks sake...
KNnv5fg.png

Can I open a thread now? Don't take the internet too seriously, and don't act like you own this site. If there's anything wrong with this thread, moderators will do something "wildly" about this thread or me, you can rest assured, for fucks sake.

It's a remake, not the same game.
Also if you think it's too expensive just wait a bit and buy it on sale.
The fact is sometimes lost on gaming forums but you are actually allowed to not buy games at launch.
This. Eo many games I wait for a sale, especially since they raised it to $70. I wait until it's at least 40 or less, preferably 20 (which was easier before the 70 mandate went through). Only ever get on day 1 certain games or indies/lower cost games.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The game has only just been made Wtf are you on about.
Just because the concept and original was made 18 years ago doesn't mean the game is 18 year old game and must be cheaper, that stupid talk
And $70?
Nope
If it was $70 it was better £70 here
1QDuVWP.jpg

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The game has only just been made Wtf are you on about.
Just because the concept and original was made 18 years ago doesn't mean the game is 18 year old game and must be cheaper, that stupid talk
And $70?
Nope
If it was $70 it was better £70 here
If you look at it that way, it's "free" on gamepass.

• LOL
Reactions: TGO

Ferdimage

All I can say is that Reload is worth the money, after playing all versions of P3, the remake aesthetics , music & gameplay changes are so refreshing.
Worth the asking price in my opinion.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
and don't act like you own this site
Don't make me pull out the registration documents! jk lol. And yes. Please delete this thread and make a new one, now that you have over 100 responses.

In all seriousness though, it would be great to have one thread where these kind of posts are all thrown in. But like you said - I don't own the site.

proandrad

op - i'll meet you & raise you a 10 year old game going for $90:

The-Last-of-Us-Part-1.jpg

https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/games/the-last-of-us-part-i/

How about 18 year old game for $93.49?

PS: I love all these remasters if you're a broke boy wait for sale.

Happiness Love GIF by HyperX

Last edited:
Btw, if you're a PC user you can grab it cheaper than Steam MSRP from cdkeys.

image.png

As for console, you can find the physical version of the game for around €50 - €60 on XSX/PS4/PS5 at various European retailers. Dunno about the US.

Last edited:

AGRacing

The 89.99 price tag in Canada is the first price change in games that I actually felt changed my purchasing habits. Been gaming since 8 bit so I’ve been through the whole ride. There was just something about that 90 dollar threshold that introduced a lot of hesitation.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Who is "we"? You are you. You speak for yourself. There's no "we" when you're pushing a personal opinion.
The players who don't raise their voice about it being $70 and don't discuss it are forming the 'we'. Now that I'm no longer part of this group, I should have said 'you,' you're right.
Settings>Change resolution to 4k> save 70 dollars. Joking aside, it's true that they've made some improvements, but I haven't seen any dramatic change that justifies that price tag.

AmuroChan

The players who don't raise their voice about it being $70 and don't discuss it are forming the 'we'. Now that I'm no longer part of this group, I should have said 'you,' you're right.

Wrong. You also don't speak for me. I don't need to accept the $70 price tag because it doesn't affect me. I have it on Gamepass for free. I'm not the arbiter of game pricing across all the gaming platforms. Also, what exactly does raising your voice accomplish? Be the change you're championing. Otherwise talk is cheap.

TGO

Settings>Change resolution to 4k> save 70 dollars. Joking aside, it's true that they've made some improvements, but I haven't seen any dramatic change that justifies that price tag.
The development and work put into it justifies the price tag.
If they was porting the game code and tweaking it with improvements like Remasters, you'd have a point.
Even porting the game code and any usable assets like audio and animations to a new engine and building on top of that code with new graphics like TLOUPT1.
you'd kinda have a point.
But when it's remade from scratch, that a full development cycle whether they have previous work to reference or an original idea.
do you wanna pay Neil Druckmann for all those years he was thinking of the idea of TLOU ?
because that's the only difference.
Or do you think the original release of TLOU should have been cheaper as it was just built off Uncharted anyway.
If you don't want to pay that much for it then wait till it's cheaper, but the justification is there.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
If they was porting the game code and tweaking it with improvements like Remasters, you'd have a point
It seems like it though. Besides, who told you I'm defending The Last Of Us Re-Remaster? It's just another cash grab. Selling a remake at full price is only justified with games like FF7 or RE2 Remake in my opinion. I would have given another example that doesn't deserve it, but I don't want to open a new front :)

Reactions: TGO

Skelterz

I’ve never played it it’s been remade to a standard I’d consider the same level as P5 which was well worth its price new and I also got my copy for £43 in the UK so I can’t complain.

Also I’m pretty sure last of us 2 is like a few years old by this point but tons of people are literally gushing over it, I find that way worse imo it’s almost a pisstake 🤣.

Last edited:

TGO

It seems like it though. Besides, who told you I'm defending The Last Of Us Re-Remaster? It's just another cash grab. Selling a remake at full price is only justified with games like FF7 or RE2 Remake in my opinion. I would have given another example that doesn't deserve it, but I don't want to open a new front :)
I wasn't just using that as an example as they have charged more but at least 2 has an upgrade system in place.
And FF7 Remake isn't a "remake", it's a sequel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom