• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How safe is it to swallow a 3DS cartridge whole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogybro

the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-20110216004214975-000.jpg

e6wX40c.jpg

Septimius

I told him that's not how digestion works and that the cartridge would pass through his body within a day or two, but he argued that since our bodies extract nutrients from food there would be some type of infusion taking place, where he would absorb some of the coding from the game into fat reserves or bone marrow or something else.

Tell him to read up on how ROMs work. The short of it is that there are many pins on a ROM-chip. Some are address pins, and some are data out pins. You put a voltage on some pins to indicate which address line you want, then the chip outputs 1s and 0s on all the output chips to output that line of memory. So.. Unless his body knows how to connect to the pins and then read it, it's.. well.. yeah.. a fucking stupid idea.

... he said that since the liver and stomach are so close together, it would increase the chances of Zelda code spreading to other areas of his body if pieces of it travel thesame route as the alcohol does for digestion.

You know what, I'm pretty sure the transportation cells that move alcohol from the intestines to the liver are set to also pick up code. But hey, I'm just a programmer, not a biochemist. I also would dispute that either of the enzymes aldehyde dehydrogenase, alcohol dehydrogenase, or catalase are involved in breaking down a ROM and converting the code to be transported through the brain. That's given that code even can pass through the brain blood barrier.

Has anybody run into DS or 3DS games being swallowed before, be it by a sibling or a pet or something? Is there any science I can point him to in an attempt to dissuade him from doing this?

If you need science to tell you this is a bad idea, I don't know what to tell you. I'd cheer him on, but sadly the cartridge won't fit through his esophagus.

Tell your imaginary friend that you made up for a funny thread to eat a biology textbook instead so he can learn its secrets and then when he doesn't learn anything he'll feel stupid

Draconian

Early candidate for thread of the year so far. I dunno what I expected when I clicked on the thread, but it wasn't this.

PJV3

If you can open the heavenly doors to the chocolate factory wide enough to get a blu-ray up there, I actually think it's a lot better for you to get the blu-ray up there than eating a cartidge.

Unless you plan on getting the blu-ray all the way up for oral exit of course.

I'd practice with a Gamecube disc first.

Zeth

He should put in a micro SD card in a SD Card Adapter, download the game via eShop on it and just eat the micro SD card.

This is a much better idea for your friend. OP. Same basic logic, just less possible hurdles with digestion.

Lettuce

I doubt the circumference of an average gullet is physically large enough to fit a 3ds card whole, it would need to be cut in 2 or even better 4.....or even better more DONT DO IT

I once had a friend whose little brother would bury games after he beat them because "They were done, and there's no point in replaying them."

His brother found out a week later his brother had buried some 3 N64 games out in the back yard. He was furious, and it was hilarious. The games still worked because they were Nintendo cartridges.

You should check if little brother is OP's friend. I mean, burying cartridges is nowhere near as stupid as this, but maybe he graduated in stupidity or something.

DonDraper

Banned
I've never seen someone die from stupidity before. Please record it. Post it to Youtube. Think of the monies you'll earn. Everyone loves to watch an idiot hurt themselves.

Do it!

L Thammy

I met a guy sort of like this in a class once. Not sure if he's eat a game, but his obsession seemed genuinely unhealthy.

Tell your imaginary friend that you made up for a funny thread to eat a biology textbook instead so he can learn its secrets and then when he doesn't learn anything he'll feel stupid

You put the book under your pillow so that you absorb the knowledge through sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom