• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

Well this shit came out of left field lol. This mash up has me curious. The OP's screens make the game look like hot booty juice though. Might want to edit it. The only musou game I loved was the first Hokuto. This can be cool. The hate might be a little unwarranted.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Apart from the Orochi series, I think the only two times they cross-cameo'd characters were Lu Bu in SW1 and Ryu Hayabusa in DW Strikeforce. Don't think they'd do it here, much like how you didn't see DW characters in the One Piece, HnK, and Gundam games.

When was Ryu in Strikeforce? I know he was in WO3, but I don't recall him being in SF.

Fandangox

So how do you think the story will be?

It will most likely follow a original story, rather than retelling an already told Zelda storyline.

I wonder if there will be multiple allies on your side, akin to the officers you have to protect from enemy officers. Link usually has lots of allies, but not many that do combat themselves.

I can see Ghirahim, Ganondorf, The Twin witches from OoT, Majora and Vati as enemy officers.

Maybe Sheik, Impa, Zelda, Groose, the rebels from TP if they want to scratch the barrel, and gorons/zoras as allies in the field.

Probably some like Masked Man salesman could be the neutral bystander, akin to that Ninja from samurai warriors whose name I always forget.

Kevtones

Would love if they went Warriors Orochi with it, actually. Maybe chuck in Fire Emblem?

Also, why has there never been an AMERICAN WARRIORS?

All your favorites: Lincoln, Washington, Lebron, Poe, Woody Allen, Twain, Reggie, Denzel, Spike Lee, Lohan, Gaga, Madonna - would be tits!

Basically I'm willing to play this because the biggest criticism I've heard of Musou is that it's a perpetual rehash. I've never played one before. "Exactly the same as every other Musou" is still completely new to me.

PokéKong

Honestly the most exciting thing about this is we will finally get a Zelda game where you can most likely play as Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, maybe even Tingle, and if we're especially lucky an entire Legend of Groose: Grooseward Groosenator campaign.

Clawww

Basically I'm willing to play this because the biggest criticism I've heard of Musou is that it's a perpetual rehash. I've never played one before. "Exactly the same as every other Musou" is still completely new to me.

They're like the breakfast cereals of videogames.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Explain to me what is beneficial in this? It's a crossover once again to sneak in a filler for a game that should have been well announced by now. That's the issue. Of course Zelda fans are going to eat this up but let's be serious, is this what anyone really wanted. I sure a hell didn't even think to want a dynasty warrior Zelda mash up. It literally looks like dynasty warriors modded with a Zelda skin. What is the point of this? It's ridiculous..

I didn't want SEGA to make F-Zero and it became my favourite in the franchise.
I didn't want a sequel to Goonies, but Goonies 2 is considered a classic of the NES.
I didn't want an open castle exploration with multiple items resulting in backtracking for Castlevania and it became my favourite style.
I didn't want Naughty Dog to create an open world 3D geometry platformer and Jak and Daxter is my favourite of that genre.
I didn't want Super Mario to become a RPG, and I love it and the Mario and Luigi series.
I didn't want Wario to become a main character, but Wario Land beats Mario Land to me.
I didn't want "Resident Evil in Feudal Japan", but Onimusha is one of my favourite of the PS2 franchises.
I didn't want Marvel Comics pinball, but I am addicted to Zen Pinball tables.
I didn't want a lot of things, but they made them and I've had a lot of fun because of it. If they make something I don't like, say Lords Of Shadow for Castlevania, I have to move on.

A game that if done right can give me a hundred plus hours? I didn't want it, but now I do. It's okay if you didn't want it and still don't want it, but why not be happy for those that do? Other people being happy won't take away the Legend Of Zelda being developed internally by Nintendo after all if that is indeed what you want, and you can join us in playing A Link Between Worlds if you want something right now.

Would love if they went Warriors Orochi with it, actually. Maybe chuck in Fire Emblem?

I'm sure that was one of the ideas had titles like Bladestorm (Hundred Years War, England vs France) and Warriors: Legends of Troy (Greek, Trojan, various other Aegean people) had done better.

As for Warriors Orochi style, hopefully if this does well. Thanks to SeraphisCain I now desire Punch-Out! characters in this. Sure at that point it would be silly, but so was Super Smash Bros, King Of Fighters, Soulcalibur, Super Robot Wars, Project X Zone, Compati Hero Series, Kingdom Hearts, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, Cannon Spike (I liked it, I'm not ashamed to admit it), Jump Ultimate Stars, Captain Rainbow, and surprisingly many others.

Delio

All your favorites: Lincoln, Washington, Lebron, Poe, Woody Allen, Twain, Reggie, Denzel, Spike Lee, Lohan, Gaga, Madonna - would be tits!

I actually hope it's more Warriors Orochi than standard fare. Warriors Orochi was such fun <3.

I would be actively pissed if it seemed like this had delayed the release of zelda at all. Tecmo koei making a game doesn't do anything to slow down the zelda team.

They're like the breakfast cereals of videogames.

Sugary delicious junk that I'll get sick of someday? Sounds fine for an entry or two. Awesome.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Not really feeling this. If Nintendo is hell bent on whoring out the Zelda franchise because they won't have Zelda ready next year then I'd rather they whored it out to the Soul Calibur team so that we could get a Zelda fighting game.

That Fire Emblem mockup looks amazing though. I would love to see Fire Emblem Musou. I think that franchise fits Musou much better.

Having said that, I do wonder what the cast of this game is going to look like. I'm guessing Link, Dark Link, Young Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganon, Ganondorf, Tingle, Vaati, Yuga, Majora, Midna, Skull Kid, and Lu Bu?

KenOD

so this game going to be good or bad ?

For those that like these types of games, for those that have had good experiences with One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 or Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 and the like, or for those that just want a good time playing around with many of those Legend Of Zelda weapons and items while killing hundreds of enemies? Could easily be good, but we are a far distance away from knowing for sure, but many do have hope and reasonable expectations.

For those who can't stand hack and slash without puzzle aspects and exploration of a world (all three part of standard Zelda game), for those that can't stand or don't want to enjoy Warriors style games, or for those that are outright against any idea of collaboration between Nintendo and another company that isn't exactly following the standard format (e.g. Zelda Oracle Of Ages), it will be bad.

I'm not a big fan of musou games. However, I've always wanted to see Link in a fast-action game similar to Platinum games as a spin off. I'm sort of like a purist when it comes to Zelda games, and I'm always creeped out when people say they want Zelda to be more like The Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, and Dark Souls. They are fine games of their own genre, but not every game has to be like those.

I see this game in the same way I saw Four Swords Adventures; a fun spin off. I liked the moves they showed and the craziness of those boss battles. I was certainly pleased vy it. Maybe the reason I'm not into musou games is because of the generic soldiers. Kind of like what Final Fantasy The Spirits Within and Ice Age. One was technically advanced to the point of being creepy, and the other was deformed animals that made it funny.

So how do you think the story will be?

It will most likely follow a original story, rather than retelling an already told Zelda storyline.

I wonder if there will be multiple allies on your side, akin to the officers you have to protect from enemy officers. Link usually has lots of allies, but not many that do combat themselves.

I can see Ghirahim, Ganondorf, The Twin witches from OoT, Majora and Vati as enemy officers.

Maybe Sheik, Impa, Zelda, Groose, the rebels from TP if they want to scratch the barrel, and gorons/zoras as allies in the field.

Probably some like Masked Man salesman could be the neutral bystander, akin to that Ninja from samurai warriors whose name I always forget.
Ganondorf versus Link is some good stuff

Thought it was an original Wii game tbh.
I saw pop in, textures for the lights clipping through the ground, weird animation problems. Maybe cause its so early in development but graphically it did not look that great. The Link model is pretty damn good though.

Wow just found out about this. What an abomination. It's certainly gonna help the languishing WiiU in Europe and America though, keep catering to them Western audiences Nintendo!

Sorry about the salt. I don't understand the point of this game at all. Is Zelda even that popular anymore in Japan? It would have made much more sense from my point of view to make, perhaps, another shooting-based spin off, in the vein of Link's Crossbow Training, maybe expanding its mechanics, something a sizable number of people outside of Japan might have an interest in playing. I mean, since you're (ab)using the Zelda name, might as well try and make some more money out of it? Whatever, what do I know. It was announced during today's Direct, I take it?

Servbot24

Banned
I am a huge Zelda fan,am also a one piece fan but everything muso/warriors is cash-in shovelware.

Yeah, this looks about as deep as Link's Crossbow Training. Hopefully it's a $20 game or so.

If Nintendo can publish games like these, I don't see why people are upset at the idea of them making iPad games.

KenOD

Not really feeling this. If Nintendo is hell bent on whoring out the Zelda franchise because they won't have Zelda ready next year then I'd rather they whored it out to the Soul Calibur team so that we could get a Zelda fighting game.

That Fire Emblem mockup looks amazing though. I would love to see Fire Emblem Musou. I think that franchise fits Musou much better.

Having said that, I do wonder what the cast of this game is going to look like. I'm guessing Link, Dark Link, Young Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganon, Ganondorf, Tingle, Vaati, Yuga, Majora, Midna, Skull Kid, and Lu Bu?

Actually people say that, and while I understand, does Legend Of Zelda not fit in as well.

Look outside the aspect we normally play as a lone hero going around doing anything and instead focus on the world of Hyrule and it's history/histories. How many wars have they had that are often talked about it games, how many armies are mentioned either on the forces of evil or for the kingdoms? How many guards, types of soldiers, etc do we see? It's kingdoms fighting against each other, generals and infantry and archers and "heroes" of the battlefield. Numerous fighting styles between different species and practitioners of tools. So much that easily fits in with what Dynasty Warriors became, hell as much variety as what Sengoku Basara is.
I say Legend Of Zelda as an overall franchise fits quite well and I'm glad we are finally getting to deal with an actual war situation rather than the standard aftermath or build-up with a Link always missing it for some reasons.

Years ago, after Twilight Princess, I said I wanted a Legend of Zelda RPG to make use of those giant cannons, various types of armours, and the multitude of weaponry that was laying about that world for all the forces involved. I still want that just to reuse the art assets, but this is a nice alternative to see an actual war.
Who knows, perhaps they will do something with that Dark Dimension too, or the three goddesses blessing certain people to affect change, or pink hair for everyone.

BlackJace

After this and SMT X FE, I think it's safe to assume that Nintendo is capable of doing whatever the fuck they want in terms of collaborations.

Kouriozan

ZFS1gFW.jpg

I can't believe how much this is true, anything Nintendo announce is hated right from the start, see NES Remix.
It was hated, then people played it and now it's getting tons of positive impressions.

Beth Cyra

Wow just found out about this. What an abomination. It's certainly gonna help the languishing WiiU in Europe and America though, keep catering to them Western audiences Nintendo!

Sorry about the salt. I don't understand the point of this game at all. Is Zelda even that popular anymore in Japan? It would have made much more sense from my point of view to make, perhaps, another shooting-based spin off, in the vein of Link's Crossbow Training, maybe expanding its mechanics, something a sizable number of people outside of Japan might have an interest in playing. I mean, since you're (ab)using the Zelda name, might as well try and make some more money out of it? Whatever, what do I know. It was announced during today's Direct, I take it?

WTF??

What exactly has Nintendo released that was aimed at the west? It most certainly wasn't WWHD. If they had wanted the Zelda Remake to be at the west then it would have been TP.

More then that, DW/M combo witht Zelda would help Zelda in JP much better then it would help it in NA. This thing is going to be ripped apart by western press.

Servbot24

Banned
ZFS1gFW.jpg

I can't believe how much this is true, anything Nintendo announce is hated right from the start, see NES Remix.
It was hated, then people played it and now it's getting tons of positive impressions.

This is simply not true at all. Everyone agrees that MK and SSB and X are looking good.

This game simply looks bad, no way around it. Who knows, could end up being good. Right now, looks bad.

Oh don't worry. The feel of copy pasted levels and rehash'll get to you by the 3rd or 4th level, even if you're new.

Raide

Not the Zelda game I was expecting.

It does look interesting but those Dynasty Warriors style games bore the hell out of me. Killing wave after wave of mindless drones, then kill some boss, then move into the next area....wait a minute...I just ruined most games!!!

Will keep an eye on it. Could be fun as long as they have some MP options.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Yeah! I really don't know why everyone is upset when Pokemon did something crazy like this.

Man, that game is great. Even cooler as they use Samurai Warriors 3 designs. Now that SW4 has been announced, plus with the new gen of Poke's, hopefully we'll see a sequel on the 3DS.

DrWong

After this and SMT X FE, I think it's safe to assume that Nintendo is capable of doing whatever the fuck they want in terms of collaborations.

Yeah, can't wait for the next one. We should have a "next weird Nintendo collab' bingo card", it could be fun.

WTF??

What exactly has Nintendo released that was aimed at the west? It most certainly wasn't WWHD. If they had wanted the Zelda Remake to be at the west then it would have been TP.

More then that, DW/M combo at Zelda would help Zelda in JP much better then it would help it in NA. This thing is going to be ripped apart by western press.
Exactly, I was being ironic. Sorry if that wasn't clear, re-reading my message, the tone does come out as somewhat schizophrenic xD

I have not played any Warriors games.

This was very very very unexpected.

The moves are fast and cool.

The graphics are really rough. Wonder in what stage this game is and how it is going to pan out. The game has me curious.

Zelda covers West.
Dynasty Warriors covers East.

Kinda like MH4

>Dynasty Warriors 9 comes out
5/10 repetitive shit - critics
>Zelda Warriors comes out two days later with the exact same gameplay
9/10 NINTENDO DOES IT AGAIN!!!!!

Ishida

Banned
This is simply not true at all. Everyone agrees that MK and SSB and X are looking good.

This game simply looks bad, no way around it. Who knows, could end up being good. Right now, looks bad.

It is true. Only when it fits Nintendo fans' agenda, though...

I can't help but find it amusing that Nintendo/Koei slaps a Zelda skin on a Dynasty Warriors game and the fanboys act as if it's the second coming. C'mon guys, Nintendo can do a lot better than this.

Top Bottom