• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

Clawww

The base franchise? No I would argue it doesn't.

However it blends really well and you can see that the base combat of Muso really doesn't actually turn people off with titles like Gundam Muso and One Piece Muso.

HAHHAHAAHAH...No.

Devil May Cry's Combat is the center of the game and is just as deep as any fighting game.

Dynasty Warriors/Muso's combat is much more shallow and it's equal part crowd control and looking cool with as little work as possible. not that it can't be fun, it can. However it is not even in the same universe as a Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. Hell its even more shallow then a God of War or Lord of Shadows.

It may be 'shallow,' but the appeal is how pure, simple, and satisfying it is.

I love DMC and deep action games, but I also love some musou. It's just visceral and
responsive and I love racking up giant K.O. counts.

Dragoshi1

I honestly don't see the hate.

Will we get this level of hate once FE X SMT gameplay footage shows up, too?

I for one am excited as hell. It already has that Zelda vibe.

Plus KING DODONGO IN HD.

The strangest games are apparently system sellers:p

Yep. It certainly sold me on it. Ordered it an hour ago. I just joined WiiUGAF!

I don't really understand all the hate in this thread. It's like nobody's ever seen a trailer for a game that doesn't interest them before. So many cries of "this shouldn't exist" and the like... If you don't like it, then don't play it. After the initial disappointing realization that the game does nothing for you, then one should cease following the game (that's typically what I do). Simple as that. This game's existence doesn't take away ANY of Nintendo's resources from the mainline Wii U Zelda title, and exists to please fans of the Musou genre. So why the hate? Just accept that not every game is made with you in mind, rather than sharpening your pitchforks or bemoaning that the Wii U is getting a new exclusive game next year. Isn't library diversity a good thing? Why would catering to a wider audience through a spinoff title that in no way damages the development of the main franchise be a bad thing, ever? This is a baffling reaction from a fanbase for a console that's going to mostly rely on having a diverse stable of exclusive software to survive.

"Third party support on the Wii U is shit," "third parties have abandoned the Wii U," "third parties put no effort into Wii U games!"
"Introducing.... Hyrule Warriors! A third party exclusive for the Wii U, coming in 2014!"
"Fuck this game. They should burn in a fire. Why would they create this?"

The amount of vitriol in this thread is absolutely stunning. I knew that the Musou games aren't terribly popular around here, but to inspire hatred of this magnitude? I've only ever seen this sort of ivory-tower posting in Call of Duty threads. You'd think Omega bought Zelda off of Nintendo, Activision-Crash-Bandicoot style.

Lastly, the whole "tarnishing of the brand" posts hold no weight after the CDi and Crossbow escapades. Along with the cartoon. Selective history is the shit!

Zomba13

Is it some sort of compression or are those graphics really going to be that abysmal? Looks like a 1999 game.

It's print screens from the trailer video.
This probably won't end up being a looker due to all the enemies etc that will end up on screen but it in no way would look like something from 1990/early 00s.

Jarate

Banned
It's print screens from the trailer video.
This probably won't end up being a looker due to all the enemies etc that will end up on screen but it in no way would look like something from 1990/early 00s.

Mf2z2gZ.jpg

What are you talking about, the grafics are exactly the saem!

Clawww

I think visually it seems to be going in a perfectly fine direction. It's bright. cartoony, and clean, and should suit the gameplay (hundreds of enemies on screen, massive hit effects) just fine.

My interest in this game is very mixed.

It looks like it has potential but what will be the deciding factor for me is if there are other playable characters or not. If it is just Link then this game will get a pass from me but if they add a lot of other playable characters then I will be very interested and it would be a first for the Zelda franchise (allowing you to control other characters other than Link w/ the exception of the tingle off-shoots) What other characters do you think they would allow you to control if they do?

- Zelda (stand alone)
- Sheik (stand alone)
- Zelda/Shek combo
- Impa
- Groose
- Ganon
- Skullkid (w/majora's mask)
- Tetra
- wolf link/midna combo
- Pig Ganon with trident
- controlling all four links at one from four swords
- ??????

Yawnier

Banned
How much depth is there generally in DW? Is it all just beatem up action? How do environments work, are they like levels?

Someone might be able to explain it better than me but:

1) It's not as in-depth mechanically as something like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, a lot of it is mindless and easy action on lower difficulties so for a challenge most people like me will play on hard or chaos and use weaker weapons. I do give props to Omega Force though for introducing things such as EX weapons and EX attacks though to change combat up even just a little bit.

2) It's more akin to a hack 'n' slash then a beat-em up, I would say a beat-em up is something like Yakuza. The vast majority of the gameplay revolves around KOing (or killing) hundreds of enemies including standard foot soldiers with swords and pikes, bow archers, generic officers, unique officers, and there is usually a commander on each side and when one of them is killed the battle will end, the ultimate objective for most battles is to KO said commander to end the battle. There are some exceptions though.

3) Environments are usually battlefields, some battles on battlefields are big and take longer to complete and some are smaller and only take like 4 or 5 minutes to beat. Some battlefields also have large buildings like castles that you can go in and camps and such. There are also some environments at sea involving a combination of the fighting being on ships and also on land, such as Chibi. Some environments/battlefields have things that are somewhat like puzzles like the Stone Sentinel Maze.

gryz

Banned
normal person: oh this game sounds kinda wacky and cool / eh im not really into that sort of game

neogaf: here is a 30 page exegesis about how much i hate this game based on a screenshot i saw. iwata needs to rot in hell

Beth Cyra

I love DMC and deep action games, but I also love some musou. It's just visceral and
Agreed, and I said as much in that post.

However when someone asks for a direct comparison to DMC the only want to really describe Muso is to point out how shallow it is compared to DMC's style of combat.

leroidys

Interesting. I almost made a topic the other day arguing that nintendo should treat Zelda like mario and have several independent franchises in the Zelda universe. I didn't end up doing it because there was such a deluge of NINTENDO NEEDS TO DO X AND Y NAO threads.

Zomba13

You had one one job Ninty, one job! -
tumblr_legtqidk8x1qad16go1_500.jpg

Ah well, I love Zelda, and love Samurai Warriors. If you can play as someone other than Link, I'll pick it up. It'd be cool if it followed an original story with original characters.

Now a Fire Emblem in this style would totally fit and be super awesome.

Frodo

Yep. It certainly sold me on it. Ordered it an hour ago. I just joined WiiUGAF!

I don't really understand all the hate in this thread. It's like nobody's ever seen a trailer for a game that doesn't interest them before. So many cries of "this shouldn't exist" and the like... If you don't like it, then don't play it. After the initial disappointing realization that the game does nothing for you, then one should cease following the game (that's typically what I do). Simple as that. This game's existence doesn't take away ANY of Nintendo's resources from the mainline Wii U Zelda title, and exists to please fans of the Musou genre. So why the hate? Just accept that not every game is made with you in mind, rather than sharpening your pitchforks or bemoaning that the Wii U is getting a new exclusive game next year. Isn't library diversity a good thing? Why would catering to a wider audience through a spinoff title that in no way damages the development of the main franchise be a bad thing, ever? This is a baffling reaction from a fanbase for a console that's going to mostly rely on having a diverse stable of exclusive software to survive.

"Third party support on the Wii U is shit," "third parties have abandoned the Wii U," "third parties put no effort into Wii U games!"
"Introducing.... Hyrule Warriors! A third party exclusive for the Wii U, coming in 2014!"
"Fuck this game. They should burn in a fire. Why would they create this?"

The amount of vitriol in this thread is absolutely stunning. I knew that the Musou games aren't terribly popular around here, but to inspire hatred of this magnitude? I've only ever seen this sort of ivory-tower posting in Call of Duty threads. You'd think Omega bought Zelda off of Nintendo, Activision-Crash-Bandicoot style.

Lastly, the whole "tarnishing of the brand" posts hold no weight after the CDi and Crossbow escapades. Along with the cartoon. Selective history is the shit!

I like this post. And I also like this thread. The game already delivered, if only for this thread. :p

normal person: oh this game sounds kinda wacky and cool / eh im not really into that sort of game

neogaf: here is a 30 page exegesis about how much i hate this game based on a screenshot i saw. iwata needs to rot in hell

It's not just neogaf.

The bile is all over any other part of the internet that's played any Zelda game.

Albo

If the reactions throughout this thread could be expressed by one face.

e72fx.gif

Anyway, Am I seeing things or is that zelda in the background in front of the gate between 33-36s in the vid?

Beth Cyra

My interest in this game is very mixed.

It looks like it has potential but what will be the deciding factor for me is if there are other playable characters or not. If it is just Link then this game will get a pass from me but if they add a lot of other playable characters then I will be very interested and it would be a first for the Zelda franchise (allowing you to control other characters other than Link w/ the exception of the tingle off-shoots) What other characters do you think they would allow you to control if they do?

- Zelda (stand alone)
- Sheik (stand alone)
- Zelda/Shek combo
- Impa
- Groose
- Ganon
- Skullkid (w/majora's mask)
- Tetra
- wolf link/midna combo
- Pig Ganon with trident
- controlling all four links at one from four swords
- ??????

I believe we will see Zelda and Shiek as sepereate characters (Sheik hopefully based on the TP Design) and I would actually put money down that Tetra will NOT be in the game.

I do have my doubts about Twilight Princess Link and Toon Link. If anything this Link is probably the exact Link (minus scarf and armor) had they not added the Filter to SS. So TP Link is without need, and I do expect Hero of Time in both his Forms so Toon Link will be largely worthless with Child Link in the game.

Judging from the last page of this thread, it seems like my expectations of what I was going to see here were completely off the mark. I thought people would be happy.

Third party exclusive? Check.

Out of left field collaboration? Check.

Zelda fucking Musou? Seriously? Awesome. It looks like a lot of fun.

Dynasty Warriors has a pretty linear combat system, but it has some depth to be found.

TAdchk3.jpg

An example of the DW8 movelist.

Don't forget that every weapon has its own effect or gimmick and you can equip two weapon types and switch between them and other such things.

Platy

Looking at the unlockable character list on some of those Musou games ... yeah ... I can see a Fire Emblem character being unlocable

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, even being a musou player.

Most unexpected announcement of the year?

SMT x Fire Emblem probably .... since it was the first of the crazy crossovers.

Yoshi Island DLC in Sonic Lost world is a close second because ... did you saw the amount of leaks in Sonic All Star Racing ? =P

Judging from the last page of this thread, it seems like my expectations of what I was going to see here were completely off the mark. I thought people would be happy.

Third party exclusive? Check.

Out of left field collaboration? Check.

Zelda fucking Musou? Seriously? Awesome. It looks like a lot of fun.

The op used screencaps with the resolution set to "potato." Not gonna put people in the most accomodating state of mind.

Timmy00

Yep agreed. That's the main reason why I play musou games, plus I just find them to be so fun. I don't really find them to be that repetitive either.

Also the combat might be a bit more shallower than god of war but honestly, I don't think it's by much ;p

Mariolee

Looking at the unlockable character list on some of those Musou games ... yeah ... I can see a Fire Emblem character being unlocable

SMT x Fire Emblem probably .... since it was the first of the crazy crossovers.

Yoshi Island DLC in Sonic Lost world is a close second because ... did you saw the amount of leaks in Sonic All Star Racing ? =P

Nintendo's crazy obsession with crossovers has gotten significantly more crazy this past year. First we got SMT x FE, then we got another Pokemon x Mystery Dungeon, then we got another Mario Kart crossover with Pac-Man, then we got another Mario and Sonic, then we got Sonic x Yoshi DLC, and now Zelda x Dynasty Warriors.

Top Bottom