• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

The op used screencaps with the resolution set to "potato." Not gonna put people in the most accomodating state of mind.

I guess, but even still. I just woke up and watched the direct. They were bad screens, but it's hard for me to believe that people actually thought the game would look like that. 3DS games look better than those screenshots.

Come on, guys.

hEist

5844.gif

I remember I bought Samurai Warriors a few years ago
almost 10 years ago damn...
and had a lot of fun, the game sure wasn't the best looking game, but damn it was such a guilty pleasure, Never bought the sequels(I did play the dynasty warriors one for psp tho) but putting link there has really spark my interest, we'll see...

emb

Nintendo's crazy obsession with crossovers has gotten significantly more crazy this past year. First we got SMT x FE, then we got another Pokemon x Mystery Dungeon, then we got another Mario Kart crossover with Pac-Man, then we got another Mario and Sonic, then we got Sonic x Yoshi DLC, and now Zelda x Dynasty Warriors.
Crazier in amount, sure. But none of these seem as crazy and unrealistic to me as Pokemon x Nobunaga's Ambition.

Codeblue

And that's exactly my point. To me, and certainly others too, this looks much more as an attempt to make TLoZ more accessible to others. Not that that's a bad thing, hell, the more the merrier. But it becomes a problem in my eyes if they ignore a large group of (almost) lifelong fans what they've been longing for.

And yes, I know it's not being developed by Nintendo and that Zelda U isn't being delayed by this whatsoever. But it's about principles in my book.

Man, some of the posts in this thread.

Amir0x

Banned
*sigh*

More franchise whoring this way, time to stick Link in everything now. At least this is a relatively unique attempt as far as things go, but I'm pretty tired of Musou games honestly :/

Stuff like this sounds better in theory than in practice. If they had just announced this crossover with no video it would be fun to speculate, but what they showed looked janky as hell and not at all like a game that should be coming out any time in the near future or this year at all. I haven't played this series since the PS2, do the other HD Musou games look this bad or worse?

Beth Cyra

Sakamoto messed that game. He wanted NES controls and wrote the story. Team Ninja actually salvaged it somewhat with gameplay

To be fair to Sakamoto, the game would have worked perfectly well with NES controls had Sakamoto stuck to his original design of it being a 2D game.

Sadly he let them talk him into making it 3D, but was fucking stupid enough to not let them make it so we could control it like a 3D game should.

Yeah, but isn't the team responsible for Gundam Extreme now working on Smash Bros?

This isn't really correct.

You have some members of Extreme Vs working on the new Smash, however you also have members from the Tales Of and Tekken teams as well. Smash 4 is by no means a Extreme VS Team Production.

Besides they are busy finishing up work on Maxi Boost as well having some of the team on Smash 4.

wsippel

Banned
Crazier in amount, sure. But none of these seem as crazy and unrealistic to me as Pokemon x Nobunaga's Ambition.
I believe Koei initially pitched Pokémon Musou, but Nintendo thought the two franchises didn't fit. We know Pokémon x Nobunaga was one of the results, but I wouldn't be surprised if that initially pitch also ended up becoming the foundation for Hyrule Musou.

So this will basically be like "God of Zelda"? Count me in. Especially if Sheik is a playable character.

And yeah the OP really needs to be updated with pictures that show what the game will actually look like.

Unsure of how I should feel about this. I mean who doesnt wanna mow down hoards of baddies as Link. But I've only played Dynasty Warriors a few times and it became very repetative. Fingers cautiously crossed.

To those asking, "What characters can they use out outside of Link/Zelda/Ganon?" I say, welcome to the Warriors series!

It literally does not matter. Dynasty Warriors uses characters that never fought in the history it's based on. Whether they're the wives of characters, or strategists and other non-fighting officers, so long as they were around (and even if they weren't), they're fair game.

Impa, Skull Kid, various enemy types, King Bulblin, Zant, even the friggin' Bug Princess could be a playable character.

If they choose to go with multiple characters - which I hope they do - expect to see anyone from The Great Moblin to the Happy Mask Salesman.

Amir0x

Banned
Stuff like this sounds better in theory than in practice. If they had just announced this crossover with no video it would be fun to speculate, but what they showed looked janky as hell and not at all like a game that should be coming out any time in the near future or this year at all. I haven't played this series since the PS2, do the other HD Musou games look this bad or worse?

Musou games always looked pretty behind the curve technically as far as I am concerned. It's Koei.

ZoddGutts

*sigh*

More franchise whoring this way, time to stick Link in everything now. At least this is a relatively unique attempt as far as things go, but I'm pretty tired of Musou games honestly :/

Same. Not sure what's up with the hype here. Even as a big One Piece fan, that One Piece Musou games got boring rather quick.

To those asking, "What characters can they use out outside of Link/Zelda/Ganon?" I say, welcome to the Warriors series!

It literally does not matter. Dynasty Warriors uses characters that never fought in the history it's based on. Whether they're the wives of characters, or strategists and other non-fighting officers, so long as they were around (and even if they weren't), they're fair game.

Impa, Skull Kid, various enemy types, King Bulblin, Zant, even the friggin' Bug Princess could be a playable character.

If they choose to go with multiple characters - which I hope they do - expect to see anyone from The Great Moblin to the Happy Mask Salesman.

I knew you'd show up sooner or later.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
On a different note, it really is surprising to me how much of Nintendo's currently known first party Wii U lineup is not being developed internally.

-Smash
-Wii Sports Club
-FExSMT
-Bayo 2
-Hyrule Warriors

wsippel

Banned

You're a huge Musou fan, are you not? How do you feel about this crossover?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I wish people had been this outraged when they announced Pokemon would do a crossover with Nobunaga's Ambition. Just how dare they combine a series that has done well for itself, but may not be enjoyed by all, with a long standing Nintendo franchise like this. It would have been amusing.

Now I didn't enjoy Wario playing like Bomberman as I don't care for that style of game play, and as a lover of Nobunaga's Ambition that "my first strategy game" type set-up for Conquest could be of no enjoyment to me, but this I do believe is a collaboration that I can enjoy just like when people influenced by Dizzy and other ZX Spectrum games got to work on Donkey Kong.

The core aspect of Warriors that I really hope make the transition into this title is the idea of field control. Taking over areas, building foundations of your troops coming in while enemy forces start to wither or cease all together, ah such fun that I've always appreciated even if it's typically ignored by those who aren't really into these series of games.
I also quite hope for the Dynasty Warriors set-up of multiple events per battle being able to take place depending on who is alive or dead/defeated/retreated.

It may not be for everyone this type of game, but it's certainly for me and I hope to be able to play it for a 100 plus hours just like I have Samurai Warriors 1 and Chronicles, Warriors Orochi, Gundam 2, etc.

Scarf Link alone justifies all of this.

I would like to shake your hand my friend.

HyperHip

Can't wait to play as the bomb shop lady from MM, blast mask included.

On a different note, it really is surprising to me how much of Nintendo's currently known first party Wii U lineup is not being developed internally.

-Smash
-Wii Sports Club
-FExSMT
-Bayo 2
-Hyrule Warriors

Due to the HD development troubles, they had no other choice I imagine. It's sort of the same as the Gamecube tactic back in the day (Outsourcing F-Zero, Star Fox etc), but just on a larger scale.

Beth Cyra

-Smash
-Wii Sports Club
-FExSMT
-Bayo 2
-Hyrule Warriors

Well so far its a good thing given the other developers are or could possibly be stronger then Nintendo in areas that these games focus on.

The only one that is questionable is SMTxFE and that only depends on the type of game it is. So it's very possible that having Atlus being the Lead for development was a smart move over IS.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I wish people had been this outraged when they announced Pokemon would do a crossover with Nobunaga's Ambition. Just how dare they combine a series that has done well for itself, but may not be enjoyed by all, with a long standing Nintendo franchise like this. It would have been amusing.

Now I didn't enjoy Wario playing like Bomberman as I don't care for that style of game play, and as a lover of Nobunaga's Ambition that "my first strategy game" type set-up for Conquest could be of no enjoyment to me, but this I do believe is a collaboration that I can enjoy just like when people influenced by Dizzy and other ZX Spectrum games got to work on Donkey Kong.

The core aspect of Warriors that I really hope make the transition into this title is the idea of field control. Taking over areas, building foundations of your troops coming in while enemy forces start to wither or cease all together, ah such fun that I've always appreciated even if it's typically ignored by those who aren't really into these series of games.
I also quite hope for the Dynasty Warriors set-up of multiple events per battle being able to take place depending on who is alive or dead/defeated/retreated.

It may not be for everyone this type of game, but it's certainly for me and I hope to be able to play it for a 100 plus hours just like I have Samurai Warriors 1 and Chronicles, Warriors Orochi, Gundam 2, etc.

This post is far, far too reasonable for this thread.

The End

I wouldn't be shocked if we get a few of the DW standbys as well; I'm thinking Guan Yu, Sun Quan/Ce and Cao Cao.

Amir0x

Banned
Same. Not sure what's up with the hype here. Even as a big One Piece fan, that One Piece Musou games got boring rather quick.

I mean I'm fine with the hype. People still do enjoy the Musou games, and I did get some basic enjoyment from them at one point. They're just really starting to run together for me now, but I hope the Nintendo "injection" makes this one feel different. If people rave about it I'll try it, but my issue is it's still part of the same fundamental strategic problem that Nintendo has. It's just doubling down on the same franchises and characters that people clearly are not buying their system for already, they need new ideas, completely fresh characters and worlds and gameplay concepts, something that surprises and makes fence sitters wonder aloud if maybe they might need to get this "Wii U' thing after all.

But, they will continue to have to learn the hard way. Not that I think things are able to be turned around for Wii U, but to me they really aren't even trying right now with their strategy.

CorvoSol

I would like to shake your hand my friend.

Yeah! I really don't know why everyone is upset when Pokemon did something crazy like this.

wsippel

Banned
I think they're still working on Gundam Extreme. lol

I'm not entirely certain though.
Just checked - according to the initial press release, Tetsuya Akatsuka, director and producer of Gundam Extreme VS, is indeed working on Smash. As is a producer and director from the Tales team, the Soul Calibur art director, and the core Tekken team.

He shared this on Facebook earlier today:
lol

I wouldn't be shocked if we get a few of the DW standbys as well; I'm thinking Guan Yu, Sun Quan/Ce and Cao Cao.

Apart from the Orochi series, I think the only two times they cross-cameo'd characters were Lu Bu in SW1 and Ryu Hayabusa in DW Strikeforce. Don't think they'd do it here, much like how you didn't see DW characters in the One Piece, HnK, and Gundam games.

Top Bottom