• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

CorvoSol

So wait, is the running bet that this is the Imprisoning War after Link dies? Or is this the Hyrulean Civil War (considered part of the Imprisoning War in the world that OOT Link dies?) that occurs when OOT Link is a baby? The videos would make me think this is the Imprisoning War.

The running bet is one or the other.

MisterHero

So wait, is the running bet that this is the Imprisoning War after Link dies? Or is this the Hyrulean Civil War (considered part of the Imprisoning War in the world that OOT Link dies?) that occurs when OOT Link is a baby? The videos would make me think this is the Imprisoning War.
I want it to be the Hero of Time version that becomes the Hero's Shade.

There has to be a really cool story behind it. I want Nintendo to tell it!!!

AGITΩ

I was betting on the Ancient Battle Pre Skyward Sword, but the fact, what appears to be Zelda is in the Trailer, it kinda throws it out the Window. Unless there was a Princess at the Same time as the Goddess Hylia.

I want it to be the Hero of Time version that becomes the Hero's Shade.

There has to be a really cool story behind it. I want Nintendo to tell it!!!
It's Called Link went into the Lost Woods without a Fairy and became a Stalfos, THE END. There really isn't much of story, as Link went back in time 7 Years, Warned Zelda, Cue the Twilight Princess Footage of the Sages imprisoning Ganondorf.

MisterHero

AGITΩ;94220020 said:
It's Called Link went into the Lost Woods without a Fairy and became a Stalfos, THE END. There really isn't much of story, as Link went back in time 7 Years, Warned Zelda, Cue the Twilight Princess Footage of the Sages imprisoning Ganondorf.
Adults become Stalfos. So far Child Timeline Link ends with Majora's Mask and Link as a kid.

He probably became a Knight of Hyrule tried to lead an army through some epic wars but couldn't find a true successor in his lifetime. That's a pretty solid premise. For this game anyways.

I can't stop watching the footage. I'm so damned hyped for this. Two of my top 5 favorite franchises mashed together.

Now if it can only transcend the first Musou game syndrome.

nasos_333

I must be in a dream.

My favourite childhood series just got to be one of the worst games of all time

I have played Dynasty Warriors and i frankly have never played worse

This is grave news and a disaster for Nintendo and a whole generation of amazing Zelda games

Pitty, Nintendo is trying to undo themselves

I hope this silly project is cancelled and the offices this abomination was conceived in burned to the ground and everyone that even thought about it fired and never hired again

_Slay

I must be in a dream.

This is grave news and a disaster for Nintendo and a whole generation of amazing Zelda games

I hope this silly project is cancelled and the offices this abomination was conceived in burned to the ground and everyone that even thought about it fired and never hired again

I can't stop watching the footage. I'm so damned hyped for this. Two of my top 5 favorite franchises mashed together.

Now if it can only transcend the first Musou game syndrome.
It's amazing how this announcement has brought such strong yet completely different feelings in people.

nasos_333

It may not be Zelda in the typical sense, but this looks really awesome. I'm perfectly happy to see Hyrule and Link in a different style of game.

If it is not the means to delay a real Zelda until WiiU 2 is out, then is fine with me too

But when you dont have a main series game, you simply cant annouce Dynasty Warriors in Hyrule, it only lowers any faith left in the main Zelda console series to below zero

How do we even know we will get a real Zelda on WiiU now ?

If it is not the means to delay a real Zelda until WiiU 2 is out, then is fine with me too

But when you dont have a main series game, you simply cant annouce Dynasty Warriors in Hyrule, it only lowers any faith left in the main Zelda console series to below zero

I am increasingly aware that associating myself with self-described gamers is pretty foolish.

I must be in a dream.

Tell us how you really feel.

Crom

Silence. This has nothing to do with the main Zelda series. The main Zelda series will be unaffected by it. A 3rd party company is making this game.

Crom says....if you don't like it....then to hell with it. Don't buy it. Otherwise....stop whining.

Beth Cyra

I am increasingly aware that associating myself with self-described gamers is pretty foolish.
Haha.

It is weird how people on Gaf both didn't watch the Direct or even took the time to read one or two pages in this thread.

At this point its been said a hundred times its by a different dev house, and has nothing to do with the main Zelda. If Zelda U hits in 15 it has zero to do with this game.

Jarate

Banned

If it is not the means to delay a real Dynasty Warriors until WiiU 2 is out, then is fine with me too

But when you dont have a main series game, you simply cant annouce Zelda in Ancient China, it only lowers any faith left in the main Musou console series to below zero

How do we even know we will get a real Dynasty Warriors on WiiU now ?

Kazerei

Banned
I gotta admit, this announcement has made me interested in trying a Musou game. I played one of them for the PS2, but nothing since then. I guess I'll look for DW8 ... at a low price.

I gotta admit, this announcement has made me interested in trying a Musou game. I played one of them for the PS2, but nothing since then. I guess I'll look for DW8 ... at a low price.

DW8 is good, I hear (I'm waiting for the PS4 version). Warriors Orochi 3 is probably real cheap by now and is a good starting point.

I must be in a dream.

Crossbow Training

Son Of D

DW8 is good, I hear (I'm waiting for the PS4 version). Warriors Orochi 3 is probably real cheap by now and is a good starting point.

Just remember that Warriors Orochi 3 is digital only on PS3 in the US. Or did that change? If so, there's always the Wii U and 360 versions if you have those.

OmegaDL50

You do know how this 3rd party developed thing works right?

Can you explain how Omega Force / Koei (A 3rd party development studio), will affect Nintendo EAD Tokyo (A first party dev studio) from working on it's own Zelda game?

Let me ask a different question.

Do you know how two different development studios can work on two different projects, with two different groups of people involved? Just think about that for awhile.

I don´t know. Maybe there is a small hint hidden somewhere in the official announcement. Another hint could be the sentence spoken by Iwata himself in the very same moment he introduced us to the game we are talking about in this thread. ;)

CorvoSol

Link Between Worlds JUST came out. I think Nintendo's release schedule is fine

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Man, some of the musou-hate in this thread is flat-out ridiculous. Amazing read.

Wow... how did that get me hyped?

Comparing the footage, it looks like Hyrule Warriors is at least a little more interesting than your average Dynasty Warriors title.... right?

It looks like any other musou game.

The combat looks more fluid and the dodging/side jump stuff makes it seem the combat will be a tad deeper than your average musou game.

Have you played any recent musou game? All these titles have game play-related differences. I'm not sure what the "average musou game" is supposed to be.

Kansoku

Can't wait for it:
zlCfzRRCyicjhwVooC

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqFl__g5fQ

zroid

Banned

I actually have a copy of DW Gundam 3 sitting on my coffee table, but haven't bothered to play it (my friend who's really into musou games kind of... forcibly lent it to me, lol). Sort of feel like picking it up now and giving it a go though.

JoeFu

Banned

the bayo 2 threads already nailed the point home, this is just icing on the cake.

Man, some of the musou-hate in this thread is flat-out ridiculous. Amazing read.

It looks like any other musou game.

Have you played any recent musou game? All these titles have game play-related differences. I'm not sure what the "average musou game" is supposed to be.

Well, my favorite characters from WO3 don't move like Link at all in the video, and the 20 hours I played co-op DW8 didn't really have anyone that looked as fluid as Link.

The whole dodging thing is pretty sweet I think.

I guess I shouldn't have really generalized about the "average musou game", but I'm just drawing comparisons to the last two I played like crazy.

AGITΩ;94220020 said:
I was betting on the Ancient Battle Pre Skyward Sword, but the fact, what appears to be Zelda is in the Trailer, it kinda throws it out the Window. Unless there was a Princess at the Same time as the Goddess Hylia.

Could be Hylia

noquarter

Wow, never would have thought that Zelda would be the crossober with Musou. Fire Emblem makes more sense to me, but whatever.

Sort of want, I did enjoy Fist of the North Star.

If it is not the means to delay a real Dynasty Warriors until WiiU 2 is out, then is fine with me too

But when you dont have a main series game, you simply cant annouce Zelda in Ancient China, it only lowers any faith left in the main Musou console series to below zero

How do we even know we will get a real Dynasty Warriors on WiiU now ?

Uh, Shia LeBouf?

RagnarokX

Gamexplain once again failing at analysis.

Link's shield does not have the symbol for the goddess Nayru on it.

WxKIYOH.jpg

It has a symbol very similar to one from the outer ring of the gate of time on it.

KHVdqxD.png

The Gate of Time is essentially a clock with 12 symbols on the outside. It could be assumed that particular symbol is "3".

The game can't take place as the Imprisoning War because there was no hero to use the Master Sword during it.

AlPgMG7.jpg

They admit that the building to the right of the castle looks nothing like the Temple of Time. It looks more similar to the Temple of Hylia, on top of which the Temple of Time was built:

onslPM5.png

But considering that the building on the other side of the castle is identical I'm leaning towards it not being anything special.

If this game is cannon, I would probably put it between Skyward Sword and Minish Cap (despite having a cap he could be the Hero of Men) or between Minish Cap and Ocarina of Time.

I know I know, same has happened to me and call it what you want, but I think the announcement was really cool even if the game is looking rough. I don´t expect a graphical masterpiece either, this types of games are not known for that. But the action shown in the trailer has me really really intrigued.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If this game is cannon, I would probably put it between Skyward Sword and Minish Cap (despite having a cap he could be the Hero of Men) or between Minish Cap and Ocarina of Time.

Perhaps the game could be the story of exactly how Zelda and Link establish the initial kingdom of Hyrule - essentially it would immediately follow Skyward Sword's credit scenes.

Seems to make sense, as the surface world would still be full of monsters and minions to pacify or drive out.

Crossbow Training
Don't bother. Fools will continue to ignore the franchise's weaker games with their revisionist attempts to defend its perceived integrity.

I'll repeat a paraphrase of what I said earlier. People complain and complain about how third parties have largely left Nintendo in the cold this gen, bemoaning the lack of games coming to the Wii U while insisting that exclusive titles will help Nintendo achieve success this gen... and then, as soon as a third party exclusive is announced (the holy grail of third party support), it's met with some of the most vitriolic, derisive posts I've seen in my time on this forum. How is this a bad thing? This game will help diversify the Wii U's library and broaden its appeal (especially in Japan, where Zelda means fuck-all). If these games aren't for you, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But you need to realize that you're not the intended audience for this game, and that there will be many more games in the future that won't cater to your interests. When you encounter such a game, you should act like a normal human being and take it off of your radar--a much more mentally balanced thing to do than to call for the creators' offices to be burned down and their livelihoods threatened. For fuck's sake, guys! Live and let live. More games for the struggling Wii U cannot be perceived as a bad thing, insofar as they aren't abandoning development of their other titles (which they aren't). If that game is a Petz/My Little Pony title, or a Call of Duty/Assassin's Creed game, what's the fucking difference if it makes people buy the system?

Fuck it, carry on with your hate parade if you must, but I'm buying a goddamn Wii U because of this title. Not Mario 3D, not Mario Kart, but Zelda fucking Musou.

DigitalOp

Banned
Don't bother. Fools will continue to ignore the franchise's weaker games with their revisionist attempts to defend its perceived integrity.

I'll repeat a paraphrase of what I said earlier. People complain and complain about how third parties have largely left Nintendo in the cold this gen, bemoaning the lack of games coming to the Wii U while insisting that exclusive titles will help Nintendo achieve success this gen... and then, as soon as a third party exclusive is announced (the holy grail of third party support), it's met with some of the most vitriolic, derisive posts I've seen in my time on this forum. How is this a bad thing? This game will help diversify the Wii U's library and broaden its appeal (especially in Japan, where Zelda means fuck-all). If these games aren't for you, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But you need to realize that you're not the intended audience for this game, and that there will be many more games in the future that won't cater to your interests. When you encounter such a game, you should act like a normal human being and take it off of your radar--a much more mentally balanced thing to do than to call for the creators' offices to be burned down and their livelihoods threatened. For fuck's sake, guys! Live and let live. More games for the struggling Wii U cannot be perceived as a bad thing, insofar as they aren't abandoning development of their other titles (which they aren't). If that game is a Petz/My Little Pony title, or a Call of Duty/Assassin's Creed game, what's the fucking difference if it makes people buy the system?

Fuck it, carry on with your hate parade if you must, but I'm buying a goddamn Wii U because of this title. Not Mario 3D, not Mario Kart, but Zelda fucking Musou.

You have to let it go. What you say is correct but you cannot let them hype you up like this.

There is a portion of the gaming population that can't be helped. Let them be.

Fandangox

Warriors Orochi 3 is a good bet, its on Xbox 360, PS3, Vita and Wii U. Has a lot of content. I recommend starting with that one.

Perhaps the game could be the story of exactly how Zelda and Link establish the initial kingdom of Hyrule - essentially it would immediately follow Skyward Sword's credit scenes.

Seems to make sense, as the surface world would still be full of monsters and minions to pacify or drive out.

That's my hope. That would be the perfect place to put it really.

What's the score on Samurai Warriors 3 on Wii? That seems to be ideally the one to play in anticipation as Nintendo had a part in it (not sure if they did directly in the Murasame bit) but they did pay for the localization IIRC, hence why we never saw the PS3 and PSP versions in NA, aka Symphonia 2.0.

But what about Warriors Orochi 3? How does Wii U stack up compared to the original PS360 release, and the PS3 version of Ultimate? Naturally it'd better visually than the Vita version... right?

Fandangox

how is the vita one?

I haven't played the Vita one unfortunately, but I think it should have everything the Hyper version had, plus 2 new characters.

What's the score on Samurai Warriors 3 on Wii? That seems to be ideally the one to play in anticipation as Nintendo had a part in it (not sure if they did directly in the Murasame bit) but they did pay for the localization IIRC, hence why we never saw the PS3 and PSP versions in NA, aka Symphonia 2.0.

But what about Warriors Orochi 3? How does Wii U stack up compared to the original PS360 release, and the PS3 version of Ultimate? Naturally it'd better visually than the Vita version... right?

I have Samurai Warriors 3, on the Wii. Its alright. I still preferred 2, I felt it had better stories and mechanics. Although the added spirit gauge mechanic in 3 is great, and so are most of the new additions.

Murasame Castle is actually challenging on the hardest difficulty [spoler]Once you beat it once.[/spoiler]

I also have WO3 on Wii U. It had some framerate problems, but the patch fixed them. Draw distance is still really bad though. Other than that its a great port, you won't encounter anyone playing it online though.

I haven't played the Vita one unfortunately, but I think it should have everything the Hyper version had, plus 2 new characters.

I have Samurai Warriors 3, on the Wii. Its alright. I still preferred 2, I felt it had better stories and mechanics. Although the added spirit gauge mechanic in 3 is great, and so are most of the new additions.

Murasame Castle is actually challenging on the hardest difficulty [spoler]Once you beat it once.[/spoiler]

I also have WO3 on Wii U. It had some framerate problems, but the patch fixed them. Draw distance is still really bad though. Other than that its a great port, you won't encounter anyone playing it online though.

Interesting!

Did you play either of the PS3 versions of WO3? Curious if all have their own issues (do all have bad pop-in?), and how much extra content is in Ultimate? Nothing I'll miss?

Top Bottom