• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't believe how crap quality the Rise of the Tomb Raider CE was.

Wow that may be the most non-steelbookesque "collectible metal packaging" I've ever seen

Damn does that look like a cheap knockoff, Metalpacks aren't good but at least they try lol

PooBone

All collectors editions, for the most part, are gonna be filled with cheap bullshit. It's there for one reason, to make money. It will never, ever be worth it.

hawk2025

All collectors editions, for the most part, are gonna be filled with cheap bullshit. It's there for one reason, to make money. It will never, ever be worth it.

This is a whole new level though, for $150.

They didn't even fill in the journal. I've never seen that before.

norm9

The fake leather journal looks pretty cool.

This is a whole new level though, for $150.

They didn't even fill in the journal. I've never seen that before.

Nah, you're supposed to fill it in yourself with the clues to help solve the puzzles, like press X, hold X, light this thing on fire with X, etc.

WntUAem.jpg

ithebigc

Neo Member
The steelbook is just bad with the thing to hold the disc cheap plastic as if it was holding a figure. It felt flimsy. The quality just wasn't there.
Wow I've never seen a steelbook like that before.
Other posters have pointed it out too, but that's because it isn't a steelbook. Unless it's specifically advertised as a Steelbook™, it's more than likely a cheap knockoff like MetalPak or FuturePak or...whatever this is, which is even worse than all those. Be careful when looking at CEs that you look in the description that it's an official, licensed Steelbook. The only exception I've seen was the Fallout 4 CE which was advertised as a "metal case" but ended up being a Steelbook in the end, thankfully.

Shenmue

Banned
Other posters have pointed it out too, but that's because it isn't a steelbook. Unless it's specifically advertised as a Steelbook™, it's more than likely a cheap knockoff like MetalPak or FuturePak or...whatever this is, which is even worse than all those. Be careful when looking at CEs that you look in the description that it's an official, licensed Steelbook. The only exception I've seen was the Fallout 4 CE which was advertised as a "metal case" but ended up being a Steelbook in the end, thankfully.

Nope Metalpak is nothing like that either.

This just qualifies as a "tin". It doesn't even truly have a disc holder.

levyjl1988

Banned
Worse of all I paid $181.98 CAN for it.

Then when it came to my door I had to pay for importing. $35.83 at the door. Fuck me.
I covered my address.

:(

Mad and disappointed. I was really looking forward to this. Now starting the game will have a bad taste in my mouth. Back to Fallout 4.

I work at retail so now I can recommend Fallout 4 over Rise of the Tomb Raider because of this negative experience.

Dennis

Banned
Worse of all I paid $181.98 CAN for it.

Then when it came to my door I had to pay for importing. $35.83 at the door. Fuck me.
I covered my address.

:(

Mad and disappointed. I was really looking forward to this. Now starting the game will have a bad taste in my mouth. Back to Fallout 4.

I work at retail so now I can recommend Fallout 4 over Rise of the Tomb Raider because of this negative experience.

$220 CAN well spent.

Maddrical

Yikes. Nothing will ever top the inFamous 2 CE for me. Still use the sling bag it came with to this day.

I LOVED that bag, it was the main reason I bought the CE, used it every day for 2 years until one of the straps snapped from general wear & tear. Cost me $200AUS though, when I think it was $100US. Eugh.

Shauni

So you're not even starting the game, and recommending based on packaging?

naitosan

Wow this is why I no longer buy CE of any games because they're often rushed and cheap looking. Beside I will never get to actually use, play with them but leave them to collect some dust. I rather save money by buying game alone and enjoy the heck out of it.

Now, if it comes with awesome, limited edition 200+ page artbook, I'm so getting it. :D

outsidah

I've given up on most "collectors" editions because of this exact type of crap. They've gotten expensive and most of the time are not worth it for the extras they provide. I used to really dig getting them too. I can't remember the last one I got that was memorable either.

Wingus

Yeah, that stuff looks awful. I'd be pissed off too if I paid that much for crappy quality stuff like that.

Fury451

Banned
What happened..official images is like McDs.

It doesn't look amazing compared to the promo, but not nearly as bad as the case of Max Payne 3.

The "concept" (which looked great):

mxpn3_rgbstatue.png

And the real thing:

May-Payne-3-unboxing-statue-2.jpg

Cheaply made, poorly detailed PVC garbage. I've never bought another CE.

Overall this CE looks pretty decent, unless it's bad in-hand, it's hardly the worst.

the juggernog edition is the total opposite of that pos CE

amazing mini fridge, well made coasters and steelbook. the art cards are nice too

packaging as well

that is what a CE should be

Grief.exe

This is neither here nor there, but I'm not gonna lie, I judge all the whack shoes people post in that thread all the time.

At least you can look cool owning those shoes and they hold some value in protecting your feet.

Can't see either for CEs.

Let this be a lesson to you.

Don't buy CE's.

CE's are garbage versions of the game with added junk for the developers and publishers to maximize profit from their consumers.

Back in my day you used to pay 60 dollars for a box and everything the game had to offer was inside that box. It contained a glorious colored instruction booklet that smelled what I imagine a woman smells like up close.

You didn't have to buy add ons and downloadable content. The entire game was there when you bought it.

In fact I don't consider you a true gamer if you buy a CE. You are a supporter of all this nonsense.

Don't even get me started on pre-order and exclusive timed or otherwise contents.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Yep. Worry about the artbook. Avoid figures.

levyjl1988

Banned
This CE is a big FU to its fans with the quality.

Compared to the awesome CE that was the Witcher 3.

And after close examination, it was expected...

Why am I not surprised.

Compared to the Witcher 3 CE. Rise of the Tomb Raider didn't have much effort even in giving a cover to the CE, just black to cut cost in manufacturing.

I'm done raging now.

I'm gonna go and play Fallout 4 now.

Yeah, I'm getting Spirited Away vibes from that face...

spirited-away-spirited-away-4376579-852-480.jpg

Sorry that you wasted your hard earned money on unsatisfactory additions with the game, OP.

Perhaps you can contact Square Enix to get a replacement statue if the quality of it was compromised.

This CE is a big FU to its fans with the quality.

Compared to the awesome CE that was the Witcher 3.

And after close examination, it was expected...

Why am I not surprised.

Compared to the Witcher 3 CE. Rise of the Tomb Raider didn't have much effort even in giving a cover to the CE, just black to cut cost in manufacturing.

I'm done raging now.

I'm gonna go and play Fallout 4 now.

seems like the CE was beta tested on the xb1

serious though if they do the CE for the PS4 version then i'll know to go with the standard copy then.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't that Witcher 2 statue just a hoax/joke anyways?

Anyhow, I'm glad I don't have the problem with collector editions of Japanese games. Most use imported figures when they have statues for them. Those are all fine.

Top Bottom