• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't believe how crap quality the Rise of the Tomb Raider CE was.

cml4Y2L.jpg

Crystal Dynamics saved Lara Croft -Polygon

DJ_Lae

I've been pretty good about passing on CEs most times (especially ones with statues).

I did buy the ridiculous over the top Saints Row IV edition, though disappointment there was more with the game than the goodies. And the Milla figurine from Tales of Xillia actually looked quite good. I was pleasantly surprised with that one.

BraXzy

It sucks when getting a CE bites you in the ass. It's when you pass on them that they turn out to be amazing and in short supply.

Krakn3Dfx

Might be in the minority, but I really like my Fallout 4 Pip Boy Edition. I have the Pip Boy sitting next to my mini nuke on my desk and I think it looks great. Last CE that I thought was worth it before that was the Infamous 2 CE, though, as others have mentioned.

Ashtrax

statue nailed everything but the face.

I tend to find that figures tend to not match the facial feature quality compared to statues, as I would assume there is more of a focus on the moving parts.

Personally, one of the most disappointing CEs was the Batman: Arkham Knight statue, as it just felt like a lazy model compared to Origins and City.

The Bioshock C.E is still G.O.A.T IMO

the figure was awesome and it was only ten dollars more then the base price soundtrack was awesome aswell all around good c.e

Ashtrax

The Bioshock C.E is still G.O.A.T IMO

You're referring to Infinite, correct? Man that songbird statue was awesome too.

The Titanfall CE was great too, the missus quite liked that statue, wanting it to be displayed in the lounge room rather than in my study.

You're referring to Infinite, correct? Man that songbird statue was awesome too.

The Titanfall CE was great too, the missus quite liked that statue, wanting it to be displayed in the lounge room rather than in my study.

i was talking about the big daddy one but the songbird one was amazing detail as well

leng jai

When will people stop buying this atrocious collector's editions with poor quality statues and trinkets? 90% of them are terrible and 100% are overpriced.

ryseing

The midtier version was quite nice as well. Loved that Crows vigor keychain. Snapped around a year later unfortunately.

Never bought a full blown CE with statue now I think about it- always settle for the $80-90 steelbook version with some other goodies. Always the way to go, especially if that version comes with an art book (Bloodborne, TLoU).

Jarmel

Banned
It doesn't look amazing compared to the promo, but not nearly as bad as the case of Max Payne 3.

The "concept" (which looked great):

mxpn3_rgbstatue.png

And the real thing:

May-Payne-3-unboxing-statue-2.jpg

Cheaply made, poorly detailed PVC garbage. I've never bought another CE.

Overall this CE looks pretty decent, unless it's bad in-hand, it's hardly the worst.

Wow that's even worst than the OP. Talk about false advertising.

SegaShack

I don't think all CE's are bad, I loved my Uncharted 3 CE. I really regret not importing the Sonic Generations CE. I'm still upset America never got it.

Seeing stuff like this just makes me glad I'm not interested in the flood of CE statues we're being offered these days. I'd be absolutely furious if I ponied up extra money only to get shit on for it.

There are some amazing ones out there of course but, it really shouldn't be such a risk to buy a CE of a game like this.

But yeah, that really sucks OP, especially since the promo images look so amazing. Are you able to get a refund on something like this? I'm unsure of how retailers handle that if you're just unhappy with the quality of it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I very rarely buy CE's for this reason. Often very cheap looking.

I prefer a night, tight package with good quality materials. One of the best from last gen was Bioshock 2 CE, I thought.

Coreda

Have there been any human CE figures made that exactly match the advertised product?

At this point I'm not sure what people are expecting.

The real problem with special editions is that you often don't have any indication of quality until the day of release. My advice is that, if you're really set on pre-ordering to get a CE, wait until the day of release and watch videos that have really good HD footage. You can make the judgement then and there on whether or not you'll keep or return it.

Specifically talking about figures, in a general sense, you get what you pay for.

I've seen figures that look like people and are accurately detailed and cost in the hundreds, just for the figure. A mass produced figure to be sold as part of a game is never going to have that quality because the price just won't allow it.

The last CE that impressed me was Elder Scrolls Online - Imperial Edition

Came with a really detailed Molag Bal statue and this insanely in-depth lore book that somehow looks handcrafted even though I'm sure it's not.

Unfortunately I've stopped playing the game, but the statue looks great in my office at work!

Zomba13

statue nailed everything but the face.

And luckily there was a visor you can put on that covers it up :D Such a cool figure.

Other good CE would be the DS2 one with the knight statue. Big, sturdy and well sculpted and accurate to the in game model. Only downside was the base was like lava/rocky and just looked odd.

down 2 orth

She looks like something created from one of those Japanese photobooths, only with shrunken eyes instead of overly large ones.

The Titanfall statue looks awesome.

2541APv.jpg

That is the coolest collectors edition bonus I have ever seen. Hands down. I just went and looked on Amazon because that thing is so good I might want to get one. It's $140 for the 360 collectors edition (Don't care about the game.) That's almost worth it.

Top Bottom