• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyomi

I can't even believe I racked up so many posts last thread without, y'know, building a PC.

This thread! Honest!

MRSA

Banned
I got a 256GB MX100 yesterday for $65 ($100 from Tiger Direct, $20 off $100 from TD, and $15 cashback from AMEX from TD) installed it in my Macbook and it gave its like a new computer again. Threw my old mechanical drive into the DVD bay for large storage. I can probably hold out another year or two for a new MBP.

Question on GPU, should I opt for a 750ti or 265x? Going to be pairing this with the Pentium G3258.

Salsa

you know I have a question i've never really gotten an answer to and just ignored

how normal is it for your guys' monitors to be kinda fuzzy/display some sort of barely noticeable noise in certain colors? in my case some dark greys and blues?

im using a dvi to hdmi adaptor but it's the same with just hdmi, so it cant be an analog signal type issue

Serandur

I got a 256GB MX100 yesterday for $65 ($100 from Tiger Direct, $20 off $100 from TD, and $15 cashback from AMEX from TD) installed it in my Macbook and it gave its like a new computer again. Threw my old mechanical drive into the DVD bay for large storage. I can probably hold out another year or two for a new MBP.

Question on GPU, should I opt for a 750ti or 265x? Going to be pairing this with the Pentium G3258.

The 265 is a faster card, but the 750 Ti is more power efficient. I'd prefer the 265.

MRSA

Banned
The 265 is a faster card, but the 750 Ti is more power efficient. I'd prefer the 265.

Well if I factor in power supply, it'll have to be with a VP450, I'll also be overclocking the Pentium. 265 still has the edge in raw power, but the 750 is more power efficient (Hopefully runs cooler and quieter). I think the 750 ti will be held back by the Pentium?

kharma45

Well if I factor in power supply, it'll have to be with a VP450, I'll also be overclocking the Pentium. 265 still has the edge in raw power, but the 750 is more power efficient (Hopefully runs cooler and quieter). I think the 750 ti will be held back by the Pentium?

Both cards are good, but the 265 is the more powerful and I'd go for it. Unless you're running an OEM PSU in a prebuild I don't see much of a market for the 750 Ti. 450w would be easily enough for an OC Pentium and a 265.

Serandur

The Antec VP450? I'm not too familiar with lower-capacity PSUs, but if that's the one it should be fine. What case are you using and which specific 750 Ti and 265 models were you looking at? A decently-clocked Pentium isn't so slow that you won't see improvement with a 265 with most situations, it's still a better choice in my opinion.

SoundLad

Any fellow Gigabyte GTX 780 ti Windforce OC owners here? (link)

I've had mine now for nearly two weeks and experiencing some crashes in a few games such as Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4 ("device hung" message with BF). Anyone else with the same card experiencing trouble? I've been reading horror stories about this card since buying and getting paranoid!

daninthemix

I'm looking at a GPU upgrade around September. What would be a decent leap from my GTX 570 Phantom, for £250ish?

Been looking at the existing 780 range and they range from £300-£400 and it's only two ranges out from me existing card. When's the 8xx series due?

Meia

I'm kind of getting annoyed at the lack of new graphics cards. I'm still rocking my gtx 560 Ti based on this thread from 2 years ago and it's still doing pretty well, but wanting to upgrade something internally soon. Waiting for the 800 series that never seems to be coming out.....

Least the thread title is telling me my 2500k is still good. :D

MRSA

Banned
The Antec VP450? I'm not too familiar with lower-capacity PSUs, but if that's the one it should be fine. What case are you using and which specific 750 Ti and 265 models were you looking at? A decently-clocked Pentium isn't so slow that you won't see improvement with a 265 with most situations, it's still a better choice in my opinion.

I'm not looking at anything specific right now as far as case goes (it can be as ugly as $20 can buy me) and no specific model on GPU. I'm really trying to put together the cheapest rig that can play Dolphin and PCSX2 at about 720p, which I understand is more CPU limited than GPU.

Figure I can invest $60 now in a Pentium, then upgrade to a preloved i5 or i7 in a year or two.

Or I can scrap the idea all together and put the money towards upgrading my inevitable MBP purchase.

Serandur

Any fellow Gigabyte GTX 780 ti Windforce OC owners here? (link)

I've had mine now for nearly two weeks and experiencing some crashes in a few games such as Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4 ("device hung" message with BF). Anyone else with the same card experiencing trouble? I've been reading horror stories about this card since buying and getting paranoid!

Not a Ti owner, but I do have a Gigabyte 780 GHz Edition and did read some stories about 780 Tis from Gigabyte not being fully stable at out-of-the-box speeds. What kind of programs (Any MSI Afterburner or HWInfo or anything) do you run with your games, what drivers are you on, and have you tried any benchmarks or Stress Tests like Unigine Heaven or Furmark? Have you checked the event viewer for errors?

I'm looking at a GPU upgrade around September. What would be a decent leap from my GTX 570 Phantom, for £250ish?

Been looking at the existing 780 range and they range from £300-£400 and it's only two ranges out from me existing card. When's the 8xx series due?
The 8xx series is still a mystery. It's only a guess, but it may be out by the very end of this year or the beginning of next.

The_Poet

Banned
I'm looking for a replacement headset to my corsair 1500's. Any good surround sound ones for £50-60? (I've looked at the OP....)

kharma45

VP450 is a good solid unit.

Looked at a used 780?

AMD does win-out for price-to-performance big time at this level. The R9 280X would be perfect if you were to consider that route, although the attraction in the Nvidia software ecosystem is an attractive proposition.

770 would come in to your price range but it's not a great buy next to the 280X.

I'm not looking at anything specific right now as far as case goes (it can be as ugly as $20 can buy me) and no specific model on GPU. I'm really trying to put together the cheapest rig that can play Dolphin and PCSX2 at about 720p, which I understand is more CPU limited than GPU.

Figure I can invest $60 now in a Pentium, then upgrade to a preloved i5 or i7 in a year or two.

Or I can scrap the idea all together and put the money towards upgrading my inevitable MBP purchase.

Solid plan.

SoundLad

Not a Ti owner, but I do have a Gigabyte 780 GHz Edition and did read some stories about 780 Tis from Gigabyte not being fully stable at out-of-the-box speeds. What kind of programs (Any MSI Afterburner or HWInfo or anything) do you run with your games, what drivers are you on, and have you tried any benchmarks or Stress Tests like Unigine Heaven or Furmark? Have you checked the event viewer for errors?

I use MSI Afterburner to monitor - everything seems quite stable and cool, never passing 76 degrees C. To stress I've run Unigine Heaven, Metro LL benchmark at max settings and generally crank settings up in games as far as possible to test. Latest WHQL drivers (337.88). Not sure how to check event viewer for errors I'm afraid.

I did have a Palit GTX 680 installed in my rig before and the cooler/fan failed (hardware fault), and replaced with this card. I did a clean installation of the same 337.88 driver and I suspect that the driver may be the cause of issues, not sure though.

daninthemix

Looked at a used 780?

AMD does win-out for price-to-performance big time at this level. The R9 280X would be perfect if you were to consider that route, although the attraction in the Nvidia software ecosystem is an attractive proposition.

770 would come in to your price range but it's not a great buy next to the 280X.

Would rather not buy used.

I run at 1080p, and even stuff from two years ago (Far Cry 3) don't remain stable at max settings, so I'm concerned about my ability to run Far Cry 4, AC Unity etc.

hi, i´m looking for a good monitor for me, I whant to upgrade my old Acer g245hq to a biger one like this one for exemple ASUS PB298Q. I just wanna play games with my Ps4 and PC when i have time. You can of course give me other options of another monitor. I live in germany and my max budget is like € 450.

Serandur

I use MSI Afterburner to monitor - everything seems quite stable and cool, never passing 76 degrees C. To stress I've run Unigine Heaven, Metro LL benchmark at max settings and generally crank settings up in games as far as possible to test. Latest WHQL drivers (337.88). Not sure how to check event viewer for errors I'm afraid.

I did have a Palit GTX 680 installed in my rig before and the cooler/fan failed (hardware fault), and replaced with this card. I did a clean installation of the same 337.88 driver and I suspect that the driver may be the cause of issues, not sure though.

Did you ever have any issues with Heaven or LL at all? What speed does your card get up to (MHz) under load? To check the event viewer, you just go the windows start menu, type in "event viewer", and under "Summary of Administrative Events" you'll see "critical" and "error" event types. If you've had any of these crashes in the past week, it should be viewable there. If Afterburner's all you're running, I can only think of doing a clean reinstall of drivers and/or reseating the card and hoping for the best.

kharma45

Would rather not buy used.

I run at 1080p, and even stuff from two years ago (Far Cry 3) don't remain stable at max settings, so I'm concerned about my ability to run Far Cry 4, AC Unity etc.

Fair enough. EVGAs warranty for instance is transferable from owner to owner so you're covered but if it's not to your liking to go used that's fine.

A 780/R9 290 would be the best bet for longevity, but both are outside budget. 290 at £284 is closest to it.

You could always wait and see what the 800 series brings, but we've no idea how long that wait will be.

SoundLad

Did you ever have any issues with Heaven or LL at all? What speed does your card get up to (MHz) under load? To check the event viewer, you just go the windows start menu, type in "event viewer", and under "Summary of Administrative Events" you'll see "critical" and "error" event types. If you've had any of these crashes in the past week, it should be viewable there. If Afterburner's all you're running, I can only think of doing a clean reinstall of drivers and/or reseating the card and hoping for the best.

Thanks mate! The card boosts up to 1150Mhz and the funny thing is that benchmarks appear to be fine (no artifacting, crashes etc.) but in demanding games such as Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4, crashes occur randomly but not very often. I'll check that event viewer and re-install drivers as soon as I get home from work - thanks again for pointing me there :)

kharma45

Wall of fame

45ClN5Z.png

Thanks mate! The card boosts up to 1150Mhz and the funny thing is that benchmarks appear to be fine (no artifacting, crashes etc.) but in demanding games such as Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4, crashes occur randomly but not very often. I'll check that event viewer and re-install drivers as soon as I get home from work - thanks again for pointing me there :)

It's not relevant to your post but I knew as soon as I saw your username you'd be Irish haha.

Serandur

No problem. Just in case, I'm curious where you bought the card from? Just to be sure, too, what kind of power supply do you have?

hi, i´m looking for a good monitor for me, I whant to upgrade my old Acer g245hq to a biger one like this one for exemple ASUS PB298Q. I just wanna play games with my Ps4 and PC when i have time. You can of course give me other options of another monitor. I live in germany and my max budget is like € 450.

Get a Qnix. Truly amazing monitor. I Overclocked mine to 110hz without any picture degradation. AMAZING monitor.

Get a Qnix. Truly amazing monitor. I Overclocked mine to 110hz without any picture degradation. AMAZING monitor.

It would be nice if people who are advising Qnix also informed people that they will be importing display from Korea and if they don't buy extra warranty in USA they will be sending displays back to Korea for repairs.

Oh and it have no options menu and only 1 input port and quality control is non existing so some people are forced to repair them themselves to improve backlight consistency...

Hi guys, quick question,

from the previous thread I was stating that I finished my first PC in over a decade

i7 4779k/16 gig ram (2400 mhz)/R9 290x but how can I apply the super awesome Anti Aliasing techniques people keep mentioning ?

Is there a specific program or is it divided as in most features are for Nvidia or AMD that sort of thing.

Genio88

Damnit nvida, release the 800 series so I can upgrade! I'm itching to upgrade with all these E3 PC releases fresh on my brain.
I'm hoping they'll release them as later as possible instead, or hype will force me to sell my new r9 290 tri-x and buy a gtx 880, and that wouldn't be good.

kennah

Hi guys, quick question,

from the previous thread I was stating that I finished my first PC in over a decade

i7 4779k/16 gig ram (2400 mhz)/R9 290x but how can I apply the super awesome Anti Aliasing techniques people keep mentioning ?

Is there a specific program or is it divided as in most features are for Nvidia or AMD that sort of thing.
Down sampling thread in the first few lines of the op.

Durante

Hi guys, quick question,

Well, you have an AMD card, so you can't use the most awesome AA technique (SGSSAA) in many games. However, you should be able to use downsampling, either by monitor "hacking" (see the linked thread) or, in DX9 games, by using GeDoSaTo.

You can also combine downsampling with post-processing AA (FXAA or SMAA) for good results.

Asus PB298Q is 29" 21:9 screen. What it means it will have height and pixel size of 23" 1080p display.

If you are looking for viable alternatives you need to decide what you want first because you can choose from:

29" 21:9 IPS displays like that asus
27" 1080 IPS or MVA screens (for MVA good one is Asus VN279Q or Benq 2760HS)
27" 1440p screens - most of them will be above budget but Asus PB278Q or Aoc q2770Pqu should be close
27" 1080p 120 Hz TNs for best motion performance

kennah

For a game that is seven months away - getting nervous is ridiculous. Things will change between now and then.

And it isn't like it won't run. Oh no. You might have to turn a setting down!

OT2 - kennah grumpy as ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom