• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

So now we have an Intel dual core Pentium out classing an AMD 8 core in games that are even optimised for more than 2 cores, at half the price too.

LilJoka

1.28v on stock cooler @ 4.6 is crazy. How is it not melting there and then.

Only 2 cores, in simple terms its drawing a lot less current than the quad and hyperthreaded brothers. And as Power = Volts x Current, the dissipated power is notably less. So throw in more volts and itll scale much better than the chips drawing current proportional to the number of cores/threads.

kennah

Only 2 cores, in simple terms its drawing a lot less current than the quad and hyperthreaded brothers. And as Power = Volts x Current, the dissipated power is notably less. So throw in more volts and itll scale much better than the chips drawing current proportional to the number of cores/threads.
Yeah but why we still got monkeys?

Staab

Pardon my ignorance, but how much of a player is this Pentium G3258 for gamers ?
Is it just a very efficient design that is fit for everyday / business builds or can a dual core processor on modern architecture and at higher frequencies really rival with i7's and the likes ?

Durante

Pardon my ignorance, but how much of a player is this Pentium G3258 for gamers ?
Is it just a very efficient design that is fit for business builds or can a dual core processor on modern architecture and at higher frequencies rival with i7's ?
If you want to build a really cheap gaming system and are comfortable with heavily OCing it looks like good value.

It obviously can't rival an i7.

GHG

Wow.

WOW.

Intel should just release a pre-overclocked version of that chip and release it at $95-100 or something.

AMD chips would become worthless from a gaming point of view.

I still wanna see frametimes though.

TheTux

I noticed that GTX 770 is not recommended in any of these builds, why's that? There's a better AMD card for that price (like R9/7)?

May pick up an MX100. Is it better to have the OS on the SSD or keep a steam library on there?

OS by far.

And then you should have space left. At first I would put the programs you regularly boot up or especially boot up at start. I dunno if it makes a big difference with Steam itself as it usually loads webpages and remains slow.

After that the games you play the most.

Life of the drive would go down to 23 years from 25 years. Longevity isn't a problem anymore.

I thought it has to do with amount of space. I think I turned it off because I only have a 64GB drive. Now I wonder whether I should turn it on when I get a bigger on though after reading Durantes response.

GHG

No, you still need a page file.

Wait what?

I have had pagefile disabled on my PC from the day I built it and installed windows back in January 2013. I have 16GB RAM FWIW.

Why exactly do you need it if you have enough RAM?

garath

Hey, I almost always agree with you, but now you're dead wrong :p

You don't need a page file if you have enough memory - and not having one will improve your system performance.

Hmm.. Interesting. I'm outdated on a lot of stuff apparently :)

8gigs enough to forego the pagefile? I rarely see my total system usage above 4 gigs

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
hey Gaf huge question? i just built this PC and had it for like 2 and a half weeks now. but i wanna upgrade the card. my setup is this.

Intel Core i5 4670K (3.40GHz) up to 3.8GHz
8GB DDR3 1TB HDD
Windows 8.1 64-Bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 2GB
ASUS Z87-K MOTHERBOARD
PSU 500W

what kind of Graphics card, can i put in this build.

Durante

Wait what?

I have had pagefile disabled on my PC from the day I built it and installed windows back in January 2013. I have 16GB RAM FWIW.

Why exactly do you need it if you have enough RAM?
You don't.

I haven't used a page file since 2009, and I run more different applications and games than anyone :p

Hmm.. Interesting. I'm outdated on a lot of stuff apparently :)

8gigs enough to forego the pagefile? I rarely see my total system usage above 4 gigs
It really depends on what you're doing. Personally, I wouldn't want to turn it off these days with "just" 8 GB of memory.
(But then again, I'm the guy who will put 32 GB in his new build :p)

GHG

hey Gaf huge question? i just built this PC and had it for like 2 and a half weeks now. but i wanna upgrade the card. my setup is this.

8GB DDR3 1TB HDD
Windows 8.1 64-Bit
ASUS Z87-K MOTHERBOARD
PSU 500W

Pretty much any single car solution you want dependant on your budget and CPU brand.

Whats your budget and whats your CPU? Also, what games are you targeting and what resolution are you running at?

Durante said:
You don't.

I haven't used a page file since 2009, and I run more different applications and games than anyone :p

Heh, thought so. I have had 0 stability issues with it off. Anybody with 16GB and over needs to have it turned off really.

Smokey

8GB DDR3 1TB HDD
Windows 8.1 64-Bit
ASUS Z87-K MOTHERBOARD
PSU 500W

A GTX Titan Black
AMD 290X

And anything below those respective top dogs of their brand. You should probably state a budget of what you would like to stay under.

Renekton

Wow.

WOW.

Intel should just release a pre-overclocked version of that chip and release it at $95-100 or something.

AMD chips would become worthless from a gaming point of view.

I still wanna see frametimes though.
I do wonder if a premium mobo is required for OC though.

TheD

The Detective
Hey, I almost always agree with you, but now you're dead wrong :p

You don't need a page file if you have enough memory - and not having one will improve your system performance.

I would of thought that you would know about committing memory and how that without a page/swap file Windows will act (when you start to push the amount of RAM you are using, but still a good amount off full) as if there is no more free RAM, bar there being a fair chunk left due to Windows requiring a physical backing for all the virtual memory it is committing to programs (bar them not really using all the virtual memory they are malloc~ing).

If you are going to use most to nearly all of your RAM, you are going to need a page file.

Addnan

There was that post by MSI Canada saying H87, B85 and so on can overclock Devil's Canyon. Other than that there doesn't seem to be any other news. A H87 and the Pentium would go perfect together in a budget system. Hmm, they have pics of H97 with the pentium. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=800938853272032&set=pcb.800939179938666&type=1&theater

80oNjAK.jpg

riflen

I would of thought that you would know about committing memory and how that without a page/swap file Windows will act (when you start to push the amount of RAM you are using, but still a good amount off full) as if there is no more free RAM, bar there being a fair chunk left due to Windows requiring a physical backing for all the virtual memory it is committing to programs (bar them not really using all the virtual memory they are malloc~ing).

This is true. Unfortunately, no matter how much physical memory you have, you're dancing to the tune of the Windows memory manager.
Now, if you have a lot of RAM (12GB+ is lots for a games PC), then you may not ever experience a problem from not having a page file, but you're not gaining much by it either.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much any single car solution you want dependant on your budget and CPU brand.

Whats your budget and whats your CPU? Also, what games are you targeting and what resolution are you running at?

Wow!! that's really awesome, my budget is around $500 to $600 :) and my resolution is 1360X768 i wanna run the new upcoming games.
my cpu is
Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz
64 bit Quad-Core Processor
6MB L3 Cache

A GTX Titan Black
AMD 290X

And anything below those respective top dogs of their brand. You should probably state a budget of what you would like to stay under.

Thanks for this :) my budget is around $500 to $600

TheD

The Detective
This is true. Unfortunately, no matter how much physical memory you have, you're dancing to the tune of the Windows memory manager.
Now, if you have a lot of RAM (12GB+ is lots for a games PC), then you may not ever experience a problem from not having a page file, but you're not gaining much by it either.

I have 16 GB and I have felt the effects of the lack of a page file (when I use to run like that), but I do make use of most to all of my RAM (unlike someone that say, has 16GB of RAM, does not open many programs or browser windows and thus has memory usage much lower than the amount of RAM they have).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom