• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My build
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $50.00)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $65.00)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($110.00)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $50.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($356.13 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Commander G42 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $70.00)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $10.00)
Total: $711.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-24 12:21 EDT-0400

What PSU would you recommend? I'm torn between CX600M and Rosewil M550. THanks.

mkenyon

Banned
Looking for a 2+ GB hard drive for storing media. Looks like WD Blues don't go above 1TB and I'd like a reasonably quiet drive since performance isn't critical, making Blacks impractical.
Hitachi.

Though this is not exactly scientific, the sample size is large enough to warrant a serious look, IMO.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-update-september-2014/
My build

What PSU would you recommend? I'm torn between CX600M and Rosewil M550. THanks.
Neither. Get this instead: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ILWY9G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You know how some PC cases have a fan speed switch on the back that can control 2-3 case fans? Can you get those as an accessory? All I can find are 5.25" controllers which I can't fit on my prodigy

mkenyon

Banned
It's a Pentium K. They're planning to OC that sucker to 4.5GHz+ I bet.
It's still like 300W of cooling for a 150W chip, even OC'd. There would be room in the budget to swap that for a 4670K with moving parts around, but it's already purchased.
You know how some PC cases have a fan speed switch on the back that can control 2-3 case fans? Can you get those as an accessory? All I can find are 5.25" controllers which I can't fit on my prodigy
The NZXT Grid is pretty close to what you're looking for.

It's still like 300W of cooling for a 150W chip, even OC'd. There would be room in the budget to swap that for a 4670K with moving parts around, but it's already purchased.

I agree it's overkill but when you get a H100i for the same price as a H60 (they apparently paid $65 for it?) you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

LilJoka

Fear that it's less reliable for ripping and a bad DVD drive may even scratch discs, especially if it's a cheaply produced slim drive. I won't take that risk.

I dont think im going to change your mind but heres some things to consider:
- Millions of these things get sold and im yet to hear a complaint in all my years of PC building. Reliable? It either works or it doesnt, i guess some drives maybe more forgiving if the CDs are in poor condition.
- After you ripped all your CDs then you have a redundant drive?

Samsung/Sony make drives for years, whats wrong with their offerings?

Thanks. Just bought it. Hopefully I can start assembling by weekend. Hyped.

Is liquid cooling necessary for a Pentium? That seems like overkill, but I'm no expert.

My original plan was to go evo 212, but the factory refurb one was put on sale at $65. I didn't even think twice.

As for the pentium, it was so darn cheap at that time. I figured if I didn't like it, I can sell it easily for near the price I got it. Fast forward 3 weeks, 970's were announced. And my plans of going R9 280 got thrown out the window. If I knew from the start 970's price and performance would be that good I would have went and bought an i5. but well, i'm gonna see how the oc'd G3258 would perfom first before trying to sell it. Would probably still be the bottleneck of the 970 even if I oc'd to the limit.

Prez

I dont think im going to change your mind but heres some things to consider:
- Millions of these things get sold and im yet to hear a complaint in all my years of PC building. Reliable? It either works or it doesnt, i guess some drives maybe more forgiving if the CDs are in poor condition.
- After you ripped all your CDs then you have a redundant drive?

Samsung/Sony make drives for years, whats wrong with their offerings?

I guess I'm just paranoid and yes, once I've ripped everything I won't use it much except for the occasional new CD I buy (rarely). I keep it more as a back-up though as I still play the CDs often, so I'd hate to get them scratched. I can change my mind about this, would make picking a new PC easier.

I've been checking out the Intel NUC and that would be a poor choice for me. Can't fit a regular HDD (and not more than one), no VGA output (don't want to upgrade my monitor for another while), only 1 or no USB 3.0 ports on the <€300 versions,...

The way I see it now I will choose between these 2 options:

- Mini ITX: AMD 5350 is most appealing but has no USB 3.0 headers rendering the USB 3.0 ports on most cases useless. There's an ASRock motherboard with USB 3.0 headers but I see a lot of reviews complaining about random rebooting every hour. What would be the best/cheapest Mini ITX motherboard/CPU combo that's not AM1?
- Micro ATX: much bigger case, but at least the Micro ATX AM1 motherboards have USB 3.0 headers and more SATA slots. Cheaper than a Mini ITX with Intel CPU. Shame about all the empty unused space in the case though.

Smokey

Got around to finally OCing my 4930k... Got it to 4.4ghz @ 1.32v.

4.5ghz ...I tried at 1.33v (which showed up as 1.6x in CPU-Z need to find out why) and it doesn't get past a couple of hours in Prime :(

I may need to go deeper

LilJoka

I guess I'm just paranoid and yes, once I've ripped everything I won't use it much except for the occasional new CD I buy (rarely). I keep it more as a back-up though as I still play the CDs often, so I'd hate to get them scratched. I can change my mind about this, would make picking a new PC easier.

I've been checking out the Intel NUC and that would be a poor choice for me. Can't fit a regular HDD (and not more than one), no VGA output (don't want to upgrade my monitor for another while), only 1 or no USB 3.0 ports on the <€300 versions,...

The way I see it now I will choose between these 2 options:

- Mini ITX: AMD 5350 is most appealing but has no USB 3.0 headers rendering the USB 3.0 ports on most cases useless. There's an ASRock motherboard with USB 3.0 headers but I see a lot of reviews complaining about random rebooting every hour. What would be the best/cheapest Mini ITX motherboard/CPU combo that's not AM1?
- Micro ATX: much bigger case, but at least the Micro ATX AM1 motherboards have USB 3.0 headers and more SATA slots. Cheaper than a Mini ITX with Intel CPU. Shame about all the empty unused space in the case though.

Whats the PC being used for and whats the requirements you need? Link me to your original post as i think ive missed it.

Pepiope

Put it in the top one. It doesn't matter if it is nearly blocked, as long as it isn't blocked. There's no airflow or anything that happens there.

I think the second one is only x8.
So it's a must? It looks like I have about an inch of room (maybe a little less) from the heatsink to the PCIe slot. I hope that's enough.

In the MOBO specs it says 2 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode). So they aren't both x16?

Azzurri

Well it's finally time to build a new PC aftter holding off a year. Only thing is Z97 or X99. I'm going mATX, but X99 only has ASrock and eVga mATX. I prefer Gigabyte or Asus.

How are eVga boards?

mkenyon

Banned
So it's a must? It looks like I have about an inch of room (maybe a little less) from the heatsink to the PCIe slot. I hope that's enough.

In the MOBO specs it says 2 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode). So they aren't both x16?
You only need a mm of clearance, so that's plenty.
Well it's finally time to build a new PC aftter holding off a year. Only thing is Z97 or X99. I'm going mATX, but X99 only has ASrock and eVga mATX. I prefer Gigabyte or Asus.

How are eVga boards?
This is actually the thing holding me up on X99. I don't like any of the mATX X99 boards. The EVGA one has some weird quirky design decisions. Supposedly Gigabyte will have one coming soonish.

LilJoka

Wouldnt say its a must, since even the best GPUs dont see an advantage from PCIE 3.0, let alone x8 vs x16. We see a very insignificant difference even between PCIE 2.0 x8 and x16. If it really doesnt fit just use the other slot. Inch of room is more than enough.

Prez

Whats the PC being used for and whats the requirements you need? Link me to your original post as i think ive missed it.

Browsing and music (VLC/Spotify/EAC to rip CDs), that's it. I want it to be as cheap as possible (<$120 for CPU/mobo combo) and future proof enough that I can still browse and play music smoothly in 5 years. I want to be able to connect 1 optical drive and 2 HDDs to the motherboard, so 3 SATA slots will be enough (even 2 is enough if I opt for an external DVD drive). I want front USB 3.0 ports, so USB 3.0 headers are another requirement.

I'm either getting a microATX mini tower or a miniITX Antec case with included PSU. I'd like to know what the best cheap options for CPU/mobo are in both cases. I'm also wondering if the PSUs that Antec include in their miniITX cases are decent/reliable.

Pepiope

Ok, thanks.

Wouldnt say its a must, since even the best GPUs dont see an advantage from PCIE 3.0, let alone x8 vs x16. We see a very insignificant difference even between PCIE 2.0 x8 and x16. If it really doesnt fit just use the other slot. Inch of room is more than enough.
That's great just in case it does not fit, thank you.

Azzurri

This is actually the thing holding me up on X99. I don't like any of the mATX X99 boards. The EVGA one has some weird quirky design decisions. Supposedly Gigabyte will have one coming soonish.

Hopefully it's within a month.

xBladeM6x

Holy shit. The difference between my 660 Ti and 980 is unbelievable. Before I would heavily struggle with a mix of High / Ultra on Far Cry 3, now it's just decimates it at complete Ultra.

Edit: Is there a program that can limit FPS on certain games, without a need to be actively recording, like Fraps or whatever.

What's the BSOD error?

I'd make sure you have a backup then give CCleaner and DDU a shot.

Usually a memory or Windows installation / HDD problem. First thing to do is update your Flash and Java and Browsers.
Do a backup and give Memtest a run then Spinrite (Falcon Four or other resource CD will have it).

Sorry I couldn't write back sooner. nvlddmkm.sys is the blue screen error code it is giving me. It was happening when windows was giving me a critical update for something revolving my graphics card. So I just said forget that and went to nvidia website to download the new driver, now it's happening with that

ss_lemonade

Holy shit. The difference between my 660 Ti and 980 is unbelievable. Before I would heavily struggle with a mix of High / Ultra on Far Cry 3, now it's just decimates it at complete Ultra.

Edit: Is there a program that can limit FPS on certain games, without a need to be actively recording, like Fraps or whatever.
Never tried it before but I think a couple of programs like Nvidia Inspector and Dxtory have frame limiting options
So for 120/144 FPS (even at med graphics) I will probably need 2x 970s?
What type of connection port and cable would I want to use for max FPS?
Even a single 970 should work well for a lot of games out

mkenyon

Banned
I'm curious mkenyon, do CPU limitations not become a bit of an issue at such high framerates?
They do. It's really important to have a high clocked Intel i5/i7 in order to maintain the smooth rate. You get a lot more dips when the processors are in the 3.0-3.8 range. At around 4.2-4.4, all is well.

AnnTiPa

Tell me GAF, am I about to make a huge mistake.

GTX 970 SLI + 3570k overclocked to 4.2Ghz + Super Flower 650W Golden King Platinum (it's a quality PSU, you haven't heard of it because they aren't really available in the US).

Some people are telling me it's fine. Some people are telling me it's not going to work. I'm hoping the latter are people who just see SLI and start talking about 800W+ without knowing about the 9xx series power usage...

Should I give it a go or is something going to break?

mkenyon

Banned
Tell me GAF, am I about to make a huge mistake.

GTX 970 SLI + 3570k overclocked to 4.2Ghz + Super Flower 650W Golden King Platinum (it's a quality PSU, you haven't heard of it because they aren't really available in the US).

Some people are telling me it's fine. Some people are telling me it's not going to work. I'm hoping the latter are people who just see SLI and start talking about 800W+ without knowing about the 9xx series power usage...

Should I give it a go or is something going to break?
Just don't run Furmark and Prime 95 at the same time, and it should be fine.

Estimating on the high end, you would be around 550-600W at full load. Gaming load is likely to be around 400ish watts.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question: My old-ish PC (like 2+ years) runs on an i7 2600 (sandy bridge iirc), am I correct in assuming this is still fine for gaming? My GPU is a Radeon 6870, which is definitely getting long in the tooth, but is it worth upgrading just the GPU with this processor or is it gonna be a bottleneck anyways?

garath

Quick question: My old-ish PC (like 2+ years) runs on an i7 2600 (sandy bridge iirc), am I correct in assuming this is still fine for gaming? My GPU is a Radeon 6870, which is definitely getting long in the tooth, but is it worth upgrading just the GPU with this processor or is it gonna be a bottleneck anyways?

2600 or 2600k? If it's the former and not capable of being overclocked then it's a little long in the tooth. If it's the K version and can be overclocked, you'll be fine with a new GPU.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
2600 or 2600k? If it's the former and not capable of being overclocked then it's a little long in the tooth. If it's the K version and can be overclocked, you'll be fine with a new GPU.

non-K, I think. No K in the dxdiag screen, anyway. But I haven't got the box anymore.

Overclocking the 970 (gigabyte):

I'm using Precision-X. My factory gpu clock is (1329 in gpu-z, 1380 in benchmark) . The voltage slider is grayed out so I'm assuming I don't need to mess with it unlike my gtx 670 ftw (don't want to use K-boost or overvoltage). I'm also guessing I don't need a custom fan profile since the gigabyte is insanely cool (maintaining around 60C at benchmark full load w/ no OC).

Anyone else here overclock this card? Did you only mess with power target, gpu clock offset, and mem clock offset? This card is phenomenal so far, almost silent even under full load. My hyper 212 drowns it out completely and that's not even loud at all.

LilJoka

Browsing and music (VLC/Spotify/EAC to rip CDs), that's it. I want it to be as cheap as possible (<$120 for CPU/mobo combo) and future proof enough that I can still browse and play music smoothly in 5 years. I want to be able to connect 1 optical drive and 2 HDDs to the motherboard, so 3 SATA slots will be enough (even 2 is enough if I opt for an external DVD drive). I want front USB 3.0 ports, so USB 3.0 headers are another requirement.

I'm either getting a microATX mini tower or a miniITX Antec case with included PSU. I'd like to know what the best cheap options for CPU/mobo are in both cases. I'm also wondering if the PSUs that Antec include in their miniITX cases are decent/reliable.

Slightly over budget at $150, but have you considered a Pentium G3258 and ASRock H97M-ITX motherboard? Board has built in Wifi, 5 SATA 3 ports, 6 USB 3.0 (2 Front, 4 Rear), 4 USB 2.0 (2 Front, 2 Rear)

For the case consider a Coolermaster Elite 130, it has 2x front USB 3.0 ports and full size optical disk drive bay. Up to 3 HDDs too.

This machine could be turned into a gaming PC by adding a GPU any time down the line, and in a few years swapping the CPU out all the way up to a i7 4790K. So great future proofing as well.

As for a PSU, if you have no intention of ever adding a GPU then a 350W would be enough. If you want a mid range GPU, then 450W, and high end GPU, 550W.

Lastly, you can add an SSD for that super performance boost feeling as you will no longer be waiting for any of you Audio ripping programs to open, or VLC application to load up. Everything OS wise will be super snappy. Crucial MX100 is recommended if you are to buy today.

If you go with anything that has a preinstalled CPU, then you will be out of luck in a year or so. That is a bad strategy if you want any kind of upgrade path.

Welp, I literally can't do anything on my PC. Can't install windows updates because it blue screens...can't install any kind of nvidia updates because it blue screens. Great intro to the PC gaming world. Can't even return my gpu because it's out of warranty already I guess

bro1

Banned
I have a gtx 780 ti sli config right now and am tempted to sell them to do 980 SLi. I'll probably break even with the exchange but not sure if it's worth the hassle. Thoughts?

LilJoka

non-K, I think. No K in the dxdiag screen, anyway. But I haven't got the box anymore.

Non K can still be overclocked a few multipliers. Its only when Haswell released Intel stopped this. I have my 3770 non-K at 4.2Ghz with a 41x Multiplier and 102Mhz bclk. Hyper 212 Evo will be enough for such an overclock and will be very beneficial.

Welp, I literally can't do anything on my PC. Can't install windows updates because it blue screens...can't install any kind of nvidia updates because it blue screens. Great intro to the PC gaming world. Can't even return my gpu because it's out of warranty already I guess

Download BSOD Viewer and double click on a few different BSODs in the list. Take a screenshot of the resulting pop up window and post here.

I have a gtx 780 ti sli config right now and am tempted to sell them to do 980 SLi. I'll probably break even with the exchange but not sure if it's worth the hassle. Thoughts?

If you can break even then its 100% worth it. When is free performance not worth it? lol

LilJoka

Overclocking the 970 (gigabyte):

I'm using Precision-X. My factory gpu clock is (1329 in gpu-z, 1380 in benchmark) . The voltage slider is grayed out so I'm assuming I don't need to mess with it unlike my gtx 670 ftw (don't want to use K-boost or overvoltage). I'm also guessing I don't need a custom fan profile since the gigabyte is insanely cool (maintaining around 60C at benchmark full load w/ no OC).

Anyone else here overclock this card? Did you only mess with power target, gpu clock offset, and mem clock offset? This card is phenomenal so far, almost silent even under full load. My hyper 212 drowns it out completely and that's not even loud at all.

Raise the power limit to max, raise temp target to whatever you feel comfortable, 80c is a good limit.
Then keep raisin core and memory speeds till you find games are crashing, back off till it stabilises for long game sessions.
Make sure you set the Hyper 212 to run at low soeed in the Bios, it should be pretty silent too, my HDDs are louder than it. You might need motherboard manufacture fan software to set proper fan curves for the CPU.

Prez

Slightly over budget at $150, but have you considered a Pentium G3258 and ASRock H97M-ITX motherboard? Board has built in Wifi, 5 SATA 3 ports, 6 USB 3.0 (2 Front, 4 Rear), 4 USB 2.0 (2 Front, 2 Rear)

For the case consider a Coolermaster Elite 130, it has 2x front USB 3.0 ports and full size optical disk drive bay. Up to 3 HDDs too.

This machine could be turned into a gaming PC by adding a GPU any time down the line, and in a few years swapping the CPU out all the way up to a i7 4790K. So great future proofing as well.

As for a PSU, if you have no intention of ever adding a GPU then a 350W would be enough. If you want a mid range GPU, then 450W, and high end GPU, 550W.

Lastly, you can add an SSD for that super performance boost feeling as you will no longer be waiting for any of you Audio ripping programs to open, or VLC application to load up. Everything OS wise will be super snappy. Crucial MX100 is recommended if you are to buy today.

If you go with anything that has a preinstalled CPU, then you will be out of luck in a year or so. That is a bad strategy if you want any kind of upgrade path.

That's a really interesting idea, thanks. I think Pentium G3220 would be enough for me already? As far as I can see the Pentium beats any AMD A4 and A6 CPU, right?

bro1

Banned
Non K can still be overclocked a few multipliers. Its only when Haswell released Intel stopped this. I have my 3770 non-K at 4.2Ghz with a 41x Multiplier and 102Mhz bclk. Hyper 212 Evo will be enough for such an overclock and will be very beneficial.

Download BSOD Viewer and double click on a few different BSODs in the list. Take a screenshot of the resulting pop up window and post here.

If you can break even then its 100% worth it. When is free performance not worth it? lol

yeah, but it wouldn't be truly break even as I spent about $1450 for the cards (EVGA Classified SC). The longer I wait though, the more the cards lose value. But I also think my wife would kill me if she knew what I spent on the cards.

LilJoka

That's a really interesting idea, thanks. I think Pentium G3220 would be enough for me already? As far as I can see the Pentium beats any AMD A4 and A6 CPU, right?

G3258 is unlocked CPU so it allows to be overclocked and apparently all the AsRock boards that are not even Z97 chipset should allow you to overclock.
And that will yeild results like this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849-14.html

Got to be faster than the AMD parts.

Quick question. I was digging out the boxes and such from my last build 5 years ago and found the tube of Arctic Silver 5 that I used back then. Would that stuff still be good to use when my new parts get here, or is there some sort of expiration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom