• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

Quick question. I was digging out the boxes and such from my last build 5 years ago and found the tube of Arctic Silver 5 that I used back then. Would that stuff still be good to use when my new parts get here, or is there some sort of expiration?

If you ordered a new heatsink youll get new paste, and if you ordered a new CPU youll get the stock heatsink with pre-applied paste. Unless neither of that occurs then i'd still try the paste out. Its likely the top of the tube has dried out, so just get rid of that then you should be fine.

Prez

G3258 is unlocked CPU so it allows to be overclocked and apparently all the AsRock boards that are not even Z97 chipset should allow you to overclock.
And that will yeild results like this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849-14.html

Got to be faster than the AMD parts.

Sounds nice, but is it really that useful for browsing and music? I think I'd only notice the difference when gaming which I'm not going to do.

Right now it's AMD 5850 vs G3220 for me. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

If you ordered a new heatsink youll get new paste, and if you ordered a new CPU youll get the stock heatsink with pre-applied paste. Unless neither of that occurs then i'd still try the paste out. Its likely the top of the tube has dried out, so just get rid of that then you should be fine.

Yeah, I have an H100i coming, just didn't know if the old Arctic Silver would be any better than the pre-applied stuff.

LilJoka

Sounds nice, but is it really that useful for browsing and music? I think I'd only notice the difference when gaming which I'm not going to do.

Right now it's AMD 5850 vs G3220 for me. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Probably not going to make any difference when doing those things. If you are ripping/transcoding audio it might have some impact as seen in the benchmarks.

Also consider the TDP of the AMD part and Intel parts. Intel usually get more performance with lower TDP.

Yeah, I have an H100i coming, just didn't know if the old Arctic Silver would be any better than the pre-applied stuff.

Corsair uses Shin Etsu paste i believe, this stuff is some of the best paste. AS5 is ancient and has been beaten by even the most average of pastes.

When I installed my H110, I thought my temps seemed a little high. I bought some Noctua NH-T1 and applied it and my temps dropped by about 10 degrees. I may have messed up on the initial install because I didn't apply pressure 100% evenly while screwing the pump down, or it may be that the paste I bought was just better. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Does 150 euros for an Asus R9 280X Direct CU II TOP sound like a good deal? I really want to upgrade from my 6850 and that's as far as my budget goes lol.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
GAF, I'm really at a loss and really need someone to help me.

I took apart my computer today to reseat my CPU cooler with new TIM. When I switched it on I got the Windows 8 boot screen but after that my monitor said 'No Signal'. I feared the worst but switching over to my onboard graphics it was working fine.

I was then afraid that I fried my GPU with static or something. However, if I start up with the onboard then switch to the GPU I can go all day. However, if I then try to restart with the GPU working, the same problem happens again.

There's only one other thing that I have come across that I can't explain - when I start up Aida64 (which I intended to use to check the effectiveness of the new TIM by stressing the CPU) this will also cause the GPU to lose signal. This is BEFORE starting any tests, the simple action of opening the application crashes the computer. How strange.

I'm totally at a loss and obviously can't go on forever having to switch cables around every time I turn on the computer. Is there any explanation for this? I really don't think I messed up my GPU with static - I'm able to play games just fine once I'm in.

Rikhard13

Neo Member
Sounds like time for a rebuild, but if you can only afford a GPU right now, I'd wait for the 960 next month.

While it almost certainly would be bottlenecked by your current PC, there's nothing to stop you from dropping it into a new build further down the road.

Time for a system rebuild, if you do want a gpu in the interm get a 750 Ti, it's like 140$ on Amazon normally for the EVGA SC version.

That's exactly what I did when my 8800GT died, in my Q6600 system (also 4GB and Asus P5). Picked up an EVGA 750 Ti SC, and it was actually really good for a while. The difference was insane, and I would happily have ran that system for a while longer because I have consoles.

However, my motherboard died shortly after, and I was left with a relatively weak GPU to go into a new system. If you can be bothered to sell on the interim card when you upgrade properly, a 750 would be a very good idea, but now might be a good time for a full on upgrade given the timing against the GTX 970 and its competitive pricing (but wait for the AMD thing).

hey guys, thanks for your answers. Any particular reason I should choose the EVGA SC 750 ti model against the other brands ?

Raise the power limit to max, raise temp target to whatever you feel comfortable, 80c is a good limit.
Then keep raisin core and memory speeds till you find games are crashing, back off till it stabilises for long game sessions.
Make sure you set the Hyper 212 to run at low soeed in the Bios, it should be pretty silent too, my HDDs are louder than it. You might need motherboard manufacture fan software to set proper fan curves for the CPU.

Thanks. I won't mess with voltage or the fans then if it's not needed.

I took apart my computer today to reseat my CPU cooler with new TIM. When I switched it on I got the Windows 8 boot screen but after that my monitor said 'No Signal'. I feared the worst but switching over to my onboard graphics it was working fine.

I was then afraid that I fried my GPU with static or something. However, if I start up with the onboard then switch to the GPU I can go all day. However, if I then try to restart with the GPU working, the same problem happens again.

There's only one other thing that I have come across that I can't explain - when I start up Aida64 (which I intended to use to check the effectiveness of the new TIM by stressing the CPU) this will also cause the GPU to lose signal. This is BEFORE starting any tests, the simple action of opening the application crashes the computer. How strange.

I'm totally at a loss and obviously can't go on forever having to switch cables around every time I turn on the computer. Is there any explanation for this? I really don't think I messed up my GPU with static - I'm able to play games just fine once I'm in.

Maybe a PSU issue? It does sound strange.

Try reseating all the connections if you haven't already done it.

Download BSOD Viewer and double click on a few different BSODs in the list. Take a screenshot of the resulting pop up window and post here.

ALE755b.png

KJJuSu5.png

Do these help at all?

Prez

Probably not going to make any difference when doing those things. If you are ripping/transcoding audio it might have some impact as seen in the benchmarks.

Also consider the TDP of the AMD part and Intel parts. Intel usually get more performance with lower TDP.

It doesn't really matter which one I pick then. 5350 vs Intel Celeron G1840 now, I can see from comparisons that the latter performs better than the 5350 and the difference with G3220 is minimal. Now it all comes down to mini ITX vs micro ATX.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sorry I couldn't write back sooner. nvlddmkm.sys is the blue screen error code it is giving me. It was happening when windows was giving me a critical update for something revolving my graphics card. So I just said forget that and went to nvidia website to download the new driver, now it's happening with that

Welp, I literally can't do anything on my PC. Can't install windows updates because it blue screens...can't install any kind of nvidia updates because it blue screens. Great intro to the PC gaming world. Can't even return my gpu because it's out of warranty already I guess

ALE755b.png

KJJuSu5.png

Do these help at all?
Backup your system first. Windows has a free tool I think.
Check your temps in windows with HWInfo or whatever is in the OP. If anything is above 75C that is bad.
Run a memtest76+ for 15-30 minutes. Any errors means bad RAM
Biot in safe mode and run DDU to remove the nVidia drivers

See if those help.

Check your temps in windows with HWInfo or whatever is in the OP. If anything is above 75C that is bad.

See if those help.

I was on support with nvidia for almost two hours and they had me do the DDU thing, which didn't help. I will go check out those other things

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Installing my new 970 caused some issues with my mobo which I solved by updating my BIOS. The downside is that my Overclock has disappeared and my CPU is back to factory settings.

Anyone have a simple to follow guide for OCing a 3570?

appaws

Banned
I have a gtx 780 ti sli config right now and am tempted to sell them to do 980 SLi. I'll probably break even with the exchange but not sure if it's worth the hassle. Thoughts?

I can't imagine. Is there anything you are throwing at SLI 780ti cards that it is not handling...? I think you are the perfect example of someone who should just wait and see what develops.

Installing my new 970 caused some issues with my mobo which I solved by updating my BIOS. The downside is that my Overclock has disappeared and my CPU is back to factory settings.

Anyone have a simple to follow guide for OCing a 3570?

3570k correct...?

What motherboard?

Monitor question: I have an old 19" 900P monitor with 5ms response time and GREAT colors (HP w1907). I game currently with a GTX 680 and a i7-4770k. I'm wanting a new monitor and am unable to commit. Ideally, I'll get a 1440P monitor, but then I lose the 144 refresh rate options. I am mostly fine with my monitor, but I want to upgrade it and I'm thinking that resolution and color are probably more important to me than going above 60 frames per second. I want to keep the cost relatively low, so that I can also get a GTX 970 at the same time, with the option of getting another right before the Witcher 3 comes out, if I need it. What does Gaf recommend?

TLDR: Monitor / card combo: Budget - $800 (or your GTX 680 card is good enough, buy "this" monitor / convince me 144 refresh rate is good for me when I almost NEVER play mulitplayer online).

See if those help.

Everything seems normal. For what its worth, my brother in law that works at intel, says that blue screens caused by this specific driver are usually hardware issues...so that is probably what I am working with here. Guess I will contact Zotac and try to at least get a replacement or something

Reckoner

The Asus Strix version of the GTX 970 is better in any way compared to the MSI Twin Frozr to deserve more money?

The Asus just ran out of stock in a local store, so they only have the MSI one available. I could wait if it is really worth it, even though I doubt that there's even a difference.

xBladeM6x

Quick questions. In the Nvidia Control Panel, is it best to have;

• Triple Buffering On or Off
  • Single Display or Multi Monitor mode
  • Adaptive Performance or Maximum

I usually have Triple Buffering, On. Multi Monitor mode, and Maximum Performance. Also, when overclocking, is it even really useful if I overclock the Memory Clock Offset? I've read that it can be unstable, and it is largely useless for higher end cards when the clock speed is more important. (Using 980)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Everything seems normal. For what its worth, my brother in law that works at intel, says that blue screens caused by this specific driver are usually hardware issues...so that is probably what I am working with here. Guess I will contact Zotac and try to at least get a replacement or something
Yeah it sounds like a hardware issue but if possible you want to try to quickly fix the software first so you don't have to ship and wait for a new card.

Quick questions. In the Nvidia Control Panel, is it best to have;

• Triple Buffering On or Off
  • Single Display or Multi Monitor mode
  • Adaptive Performance or Maximum

I usually have Triple Buffering, On. Multi Monitor mode, and Maximum Performance. Also, when overclocking, is it even really useful if I overclock the Memory Clock Offset? I've read that it can be unstable, and it is largely useless for higher end cards when the clock speed is more important. (Using 980)

Triple buffering means the GPU is processing 3 frames for every 1 that's displayed. Basically, prerendering frames before they show up on screen. More frames pre-rendered, more memory usage. It's up to you if you want that on.

Use single display if you're using a single display.

Maximum performance means your GPU is probably going harder than it needs to. Useful if you think the GPU software is throttling your speeds.

Memory speed on your 980 is probably good enough that you'll never have to touch it. You can if you want, performance gains are practically negligible.

What resolution are you playing at?

Snakepit

Just wondering would you guys recommend any speakers, I've got the rig built and thats one of the last things. I wanted to use the speakers for gaming and music.

Tablo

Just wondering would you guys recommend any speakers, I've got the rig built and thats one of the last things. I wanted to use the speakers for gaming and music.

Emotiva 4S
300$ powered. Not a speaker guy but I know those are baller, kinda want them.

Obviously good options cheaper, other peeps will chime in.

Superimposer

Any other ideas? I'm quite worried

Superimposer

Have you went into the bios and made sure it's set to initialize the PCIe slot first? Your bios settings may have gotten reset.

Funny enough I have a Korean monitor with a known issue where the BIOS doesn't show up on HDMI... so I'm waiting for a DP cable to arrive. This sounds like a lead though. But what about the Aida64 problem?

Funny enough I have a Korean monitor with a known issue where the BIOS doesn't show up on HDMI... so I'm waiting for a DP cable to arrive. This sounds like a lead though. But what about the Aida64 problem?

If your bios settings were reset, there could be an incorrect setting causing issues. I'd verify everything is good in the BIOS first, then go from there.

Apt101

After upgrading to an i7-4790s and throwing in another 4 GB of RAM to 12 GB, I decided to see if I was even running Team Fortress 2 at max settings. I was not. It looks like a Pixar cartoon now. I really like tis PlayStation monitor too. I think I'll hold off on getting a GTX970 now. I think I'll ride my GTX660 a while longer until I run into something I want to pay but can't handle.

xBladeM6x

Triple buffering means the GPU is processing 3 frames for every 1 that's displayed. Basically, prerendering frames before they show up on screen. More frames pre-rendered, more memory usage. It's up to you if you want that on.

Use single display if you're using a single display.

Maximum performance means your GPU is probably going harder than it needs to. Useful if you think the GPU software is throttling your speeds.

Memory speed on your 980 is probably good enough that you'll never have to touch it. You can if you want, performance gains are practically negligible.

What resolution are you playing at?

- I play with one primary monitor with games, and two auxiliary, so 3 total.
- I'm playing at 1080p, with no intention of going higher than that until 4K becomes more reasonable.

SpaceHorror

So I'm having a bit of a dilemma. Right now my PS4 is my primary gaming system and I intend it to the stay that way for the foreseeable future. I have a gaming PC that I originally built in 2009, though I've upgraded the processor, RAM, and graphics card since then. However lately it has been giving me problems and as soon as I fix one another seems to crop up (current issue is my 560 Ti is getting upwards of 90 c under load, compared to no higher than 70 c on average in the past). Anyway, to the point, I'm worried that it's going to crap out on me in the near future and that just replacing parts on an old ass mobo just isn't worth it anymore. I have a lot of games on steam/other DD platforms and physically that I don't want to lose access to.

I have a bit of spare cash on hand that will allow me to spend around $500 on a new system not including the OS. The one I'm looking at now is $539 and I believe it would be a slight upgrade (or maybe more than slight, I'm terrible with judging):

Current-

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz
GTX 560 Ti 1GB
6GB RAM

Proposed new build-

AMD FX-6300 6-core 3.5GHz
GTX 750 Ti Superclocked 2GB
8GB RAM

Now understand I'm not interested in building a powerhouse right now. I mainly game on my PS4 and it'll probably stay like that. I'm just looking to be able to continue running the games I own and any comparable games I may wish to purchase in the future.

TL;DR version: Is it worth to update an aging desktop from the current specs to the proposed new build?

Superimposer

If your bios settings were reset, there could be an incorrect setting causing issues. I'd verify everything is good in the BIOS first, then go from there.

Got into the BIOS, that wasn't it.

I thought it might have something to do with the sensors for temperature, voltage etc. since starting Aida64 would theoretically activate those, but I'm able to open other benchmarking tools, and I can actually use Aida64 fine if I open it before I switch out to the GPU... it's the opening part that makes it crash, and I think there's a clue in that to whatever the problem is. I'm not smart enough to figure it out though.

Going to try a CMOS reset before anything else, there still might be a pesky setting somewhere. It must be something like that if I'm able to use the card fully once I'm actually booted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom