• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Arex

I think with Intel jumping in to 6 cores for their 8600 and 8700, it'd be worth spending the $20 extra to get the 6 cores 1600. More games may be optimized for multicores going forward I reckon.

Uncles looking for a prebuilt to have it VR ready. This is what he was looking at, im having a hard time figuring out of the price is decent. He wants to get a terabyte drive and a 250gb SSD for windows instead of the obe they currently show. http://www.microcenter.com/single_p...&MccGuid=3ec2f5cf-984d-438d-9fef-c8beef8e1c57

Not a bad price actually. Matching its specs with the cheapest equivalents and/or the exact same parts on pcpartpicker gets a more expensive price; so reduced like this, the prebuilt is actually reasonable.

Mrbob

Thanks for the info!

Although I'm guessing that 8700k is going to be a tasty price. Been looking at the 1600, which is super affordable. Without a monitor, the build I've spec'd is already looking at ~£1,500ish. That's probably the absolute most I want to be spending.

Whatever the price of the 7700k is right now add a little more onto it. In the USA the 7700k is around 330 dollars while the 8700k is rumored to be between 350 and 400 us dollars.

Regarding GPU scaling again, watch this digital foundry video as it does a good job explaining how to set up gpu scaling on a nvidia card alongside adding custom resolutions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSpHONwyBqg

This is you can set up 3200 X 1800 custom resolution. There is one thing to note if you are setting up your PC to be hooked up to a home theater receiver and then routed to your tv. The custom resolution tool breaks 5.1 support if you are using the nvidia gpu hdmi output for 5.1 audio alongside video. You are limited to stereo only. There is an interesting solution that requires two cables and it works. Take the hdmi cable you have in your receiver and plug it to your TV for video. Then buy a displayport to HDMI cable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015OW3M1W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

One side of the cable is a displayport connection that you hook into your pc. The second side of the cable is a hdmi cable you plug into your home theater system. When you boot windows it'll show up as two displays. Use the hdmi cable connection as your main display and then you can set up the audio on your displayport to hdmi cable and get 5.1 sound. Now you can use the custom resolution tool and still receiver 5.1 audio.

If you are switching between moving the pc from tv to desktop remember that for 5.1 hdmi out you'll always need two cables if you are using the nvidia gpu for audio. If you are using another device for audio instead (motherboard, usb connection from headset) I think you should be ok but I didn't test this. But I would assume this would be the same as having two separate connections anyway (one for video, one for audio).

Edit: didn't see you ordered already. Congrats! Nice thing about AM4 is you'll probably be able to pick up a second gen ryzen cpu.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I've just put together a new build as follows:

i5-7600k
EVO something something for the cooler
MSI b250 M3 Gaming
2x4gb Gskill ram
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
corsair cx650

Everything works great! All the stress tests turned out with no errors, been absolutely solid BUT...When I shut down Windows 10, the pc turns off then between 2secs and 10 secs it turns back on yet does not post. The CPU fan is running at full speed as with the GPU fans. The LED light on the motherboard labeled CPU is lit which the manual states has a fault but I can not figure out what exactly it is or whats keeping the pc from staying off. I can flick the PSU switch off after it first shuts down, flick it back and the pc stays off. I have done the whole unplug everything and start fresh but it still happens. Everything regarding wake up features is turned off the in the BIOS.

How viable would it be to buy a 1080ti now and sell it to upgrade to the 1180/2080 when its inevitably announced? I know id lose out on a bit of money, but spending $200-$300 each year to have the top GPU doesn't seem too bad.

How viable would it be to buy a 1080ti now and sell it to upgrade to the 1180/2080 when its inevitably announced? I know id lose out on a bit of money, but spending $200-$300 each year to have the top GPU doesn't seem too bad.

Potentially not too bad, given how 980 Ti's still sell. The question will be dependent upon just what kind of performance gain you see. I remember people being absolutely floored by the jumps with Pascal.

Potentially not too bad, given how 980 Ti's still sell. The question will be dependent upon just what kind of performance gain you see. I remember people being absolutely floored by the jumps with Pascal.
Ill be playing at 4k so any performance bump would likely be helpful for the future, especially with things like Anthem coming out. Unless you mean that it may dictate the price ill be able to sell it at.

Ill be playing at 4k so any performance bump would likely be helpful for the future, especially with things like Anthem coming out. Unless you mean that it may dictate the price ill be able to sell it at.

Both really. Nvidia might pull the rug out from under consumers again for a massive leap in performance, or perhaps they may make far less significant gains than previously.

Admittedly, the particular context in which a 1080 Ti sits means, yes, even a 10% bump would be pretty significantly for framerate stability.

Edit:
Man, I almost wish I'd held out on purchasing my PC case. The Kolink Aviator's served me well for one of the few blue cases on the market, but the Focus G - also available in blue - looks so damn nice.

Welp, just ordered everything from Newegg.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hk2hQV

Had to pay for shipping for the case even though I signed up for that free two-day thing (and had to pay extra on top of that to make sure it gets here before Ys VIII), boo.

I guess I'm getting free copies of Rocket League and Quake Champions too; can I get much for selling the keys to mitigate a little more cost down?

MikeBison

Oh my Fuck. Just thinking about what games I can play on this PC when I get it and what games I'll still get on PS4 (I'm a physical whore). And I just started salivating at how good Wolfenstein II and Far cry 5 will be, and how good they'll feel to play on keyboard and mouse.

Weevilone

I'm having a strange problem with network performance between my workstation and NAS.

I put a 10GbE card in both and have a 10G switch.. but I was only getting max 500MB/s reads. Initially I thought this was a limitation on the disk side, but out of curiosity I tested the NIC in my HTPC and there I'm getting up to 800MB/s reads.

The HTPC is older hardware, 4790k, and the workstation has 7700k in it, both on Win10.

Oh my Fuck. Just thinking about what games I can play on this PC when I get it and what games I'll still get on PS4 (I'm a physical whore). And I just started salivating at how good Wolfenstein II and Far cry 5 will be, and how good they'll feel to play on keyboard and mouse.

Now imagine:
Downsampling.

If I have a 144hz Gsync monitor, how much of a benefit would I get from a gtx 1080ti compared to gtx 1080?

I'm trying to decide which card to get and it seems that competitive games will get 144hz on both cards, and the latest AAA games won't reach 144hz on the highest settings even on a 1080ti (http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/eqauqJCjaUikknTem8dcMk.png)

so then with gsync, wouldn't 80fps feel the same as 100fps?

What resolution is your monitor, 2560x1440?

Depends on what games you play. I have a gtx 1070 and 1440p 144hz gsync monitor and I'm happy with my video card, but I don't tend to play AAA games too much. And I usually find a good mixture of settings rather than just cranking everything to maximum.

I'd say just base it on whatever kind of good deal you can get. If you can get a great deal on a 1080 Ti then I'd do it, if 1080 then I'd consider it too. It looks like the 1080 Ti is about 30% better performing than the 1080 at 1440p (just looking at techpowerup.com's charts). I'd be inclined to get the Ti if the money is right.

Maybe check/reinstall drivers. Make sure your cable is properly plugged in, and try reseating the card. Otherwise, it might well be.

Also that comment:
4EEtei9.png

Who knew the world was after such content?

jonaa

Neo Member
So hyped! Finally decided to take the plunge and order some new parts. I'll retire my old 3770K and RX 480 for some new stuff.

Ordered the following:
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
ASUS Prime X370 Pro
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz

I know that the Ryzen is pretty much on par with my 3770K for gaming but whatever, I felt like buying new stuff. This will also give me a reason to buy a proper 1440p monitor down the line (currently using a 144hz 1080p one).

Only problem is that between work, the wife and two kids there's not a whole lot of time to be spent on gaming. But when I do get around to it, those minutes will be as smooth as eggs.

Building tomorrow, woop woop!

kylekey

Neo Member
Honest question: I see multiple people in the last few days here buying lots of new components; is there an advantage to buying it all now over waiting until November deals?

kuYuri

Honest question: I see multiple people in the last few days here buying lots of new components; is there an advantage to buying it all now over waiting until November deals?

November does not inherently mean better deals. Good deals can be found at any time of the year.

Mrbob

I picked up a couple 500gb Samsung 850 Evo pro ssds since they are 139 right now for a build im going to do in October. Maybe it will be cheaper then but the current sale seems good for me.

TI82

Banned
What are your system's specs and what resolution/refresh rate do you play at?

4670k at 3.8
16GB DDR3
GTX1070

I play on my Rift a lot and my main screen is 2560x1080 at 60hz. I'd like to start moving to 4K monitors or 120hz ultrawide but haven't yet. I also want to move to microATX with my next build.

4670k at 3.8
16GB DDR3
GTX1070

I play on my Rift a lot and my main screen is 2560x1080 at 60hz. I'd like to start moving to 4K monitors or 120hz ultrawide but haven't yet. I also want to move to microATX with my next build.

I would be inclined to wait and see just how good the 8700k is myself.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

I also want to move away from Intel, as their latest chipset really shows they aren't acting in consumers best interest?

I disagree but do what you feel like doing I guess. The Ryzen CPUs aren't very old so if you want an AMD CPU maybe just go for it. I think the 8700k is going to be a better long term bet though.

Plum

So I'm looking at either getting myself a gaming laptop or building myself a cheap-ish desktop. I've got a few parts already from my old build, namely:
- Fractal Design Nano S
- Crucial MX300 275GB SATA SSD
- Corsair RM650x Modular PSU
- Noctua NH-U12S Cooler
So I'm mainly just looking for the key essentials: CPU, Mobo, GPU and RAM. I've got a total budget of around £650 as buying a desktop would mean getting myself a Chromebook or similar to go alongside it for note taking. My total budget is around £1000 with a little room on top (but I'd prefer not to go over).

Got my eyes on these parts here:
For a total of around £620 with the CPU offered by Amazon.

As for usage, this will have to at least last me until June/July of next year when the Summer holiday starts as by then I'd have saved up enough to do some pretty major upgrade work or even buy something completely new. The most demanding games I'd be wanting to play are the likes of Wolfenstein 2, Hellblade, maybe Destiny 2 and PUBG; but most importantly I'd want to get at least 60fps in those even if it means dropping down to medium/high.

My main two worries are:
1) Will the 3GB VRAM in the 1060 affect performance too much?
2) Will the non-blower (not sure what it's called) style of cooler in the 1060 make temperatures too high? This is especially worrisome considering the Nano S has graphics cards literally a few mms away from the PSU.

So, with those concerns, what do you think? Should I get these parts or should I try and go for other things? Thanks for any help in advance!

kuYuri

What kind of PC desks do you guys have?

I combined two Alex drawers and a Linmonn table from Ikea to make my PC desk. A bit more expensive, but using the drawers as table legs in place of proper table legs is so much more convenient to store things away. I have my Oculus Touch controllers, extra cables, and a host of other things stored in the drawers and I don't have to get up from my desk to fetch them.

asdad123

Are new Nvidia cards coming out any time soon? Im looking to build a PC over the next month and was looking for a 1070/1080. I can get an EVGA 1080ftw with the hybrid cooler and destiny 2 for about 580 after tax.

Any suggestions?

So I'm looking at either getting myself a gaming laptop or building myself a cheap-ish desktop. I've got a few parts already from my old build, namely:
- Fractal Design Nano S
- Crucial MX300 275GB SATA SSD
- Corsair RM650x Modular PSU
- Noctua NH-U12S Cooler
So I'm mainly just looking for the key essentials: CPU, Mobo, GPU and RAM. I've got a total budget of around £650 as buying a desktop would mean getting myself a Chromebook or similar to go alongside it for note taking. My total budget is around £1000 with a little room on top (but I'd prefer not to go over).

Got my eyes on these parts here:

For a total of around £620 with the CPU offered by Amazon.

As for usage, this will have to at least last me until June/July of next year when the Summer holiday starts as by then I'd have saved up enough to do some pretty major upgrade work or even buy something completely new. The most demanding games I'd be wanting to play are the likes of Wolfenstein 2, Hellblade, maybe Destiny 2 and PUBG; but most importantly I'd want to get at least 60fps in those even if it means dropping down to medium/high.

My main two worries are:
1) Will the 3GB VRAM in the 1060 affect performance too much?
2) Will the non-blower (not sure what it's called) style of cooler in the 1060 make temperatures too high? This is especially worrisome considering the Nano S has graphics cards literally a few mms away from the PSU.

So, with those concerns, what do you think? Should I get these parts or should I try and go for other things? Thanks for any help in advance!

If that's what you have to work with at that budget I'd consider a Ryzen build and a 6GB 1060.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/w67z3F
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/887z3F

Jabronium

Are new Nvidia cards coming out any time soon? Im looking to build a PC over the next month and was looking for a 1070/1080. I can get an EVGA 1080ftw with the hybrid cooler and destiny 2 for about 580 after tax.

Any suggestions?

Nvidia has said they're in no rush to release Volta, given that their current lineup crushes the competition. I'm not expecting them anytime soon, but at least EVGA gives you the step up option.

Hi everyone. I'm looking to jump back into PC gaming after 15 years or so and building my first system. Wanting to keep it under $1000, but something that has the potential to be upgraded over the next few years. Already have a monitor, mouse and keyboard.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze ATX
Total: $927.86

Or would I be better off getting something like this? http://www.microcenter.com/product/475437/G314_Desktop_Computer

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Earendil

Ryzen is quite good for that and significantly cheaper compared to Intel. Highly recommended around here for most non-gaming related work, but can still provide the performance for gaming.

You won't have any issues with i5/ryzen 5+ for sure

Ryzen is much better for multi-threaded workloads, Intel is slightly better for single threaded. I personally think Ryzen is a better buy but for your use case you wont go wrong with either.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind if I end up building something.

Top Bottom