• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Hi everyone. I'm looking to jump back into PC gaming after 15 years or so and building my first system. Wanting to keep it under $1000, but something that has the potential to be upgraded over the next few years. Already have a monitor, mouse and keyboard.

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze ATX
Total: $927.86

Or would I be better off getting something like this? http://www.microcenter.com/product/475437/G314_Desktop_Computer

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Your build is way better if you want the ability to upgrade in the future. The AM4 socket will be around for at least two more generations if Ryzen CPUs, but the LGA1151 socket for that i7 in the Microcenter build is done after this generation. I really like your build and think you'll be very happy with it for 1080p gaming. It'll be super easy to upgrade the GPU or CPU in 1 to 3 years if you see a need at that point.

Plum

If that's what you have to work with at that budget I'd consider a Ryzen build and a 6GB 1060.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/w67z3F
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/887z3F

Ah, sorry, forgot to edit that my total budget is more £850 than £1,000. Thanks for reminding me of Ryzen, though. The idea of AM4 lasting for at least another one or two generations is great; I dread having to rebuild everything once Coffee Lake comes out if I decide to upgrade.

This mobo is cheaper and available on Prime. Is Gigabyte a decent brand to get?

Ah, sorry, forgot to edit that my total budget is more £850 than £1,000. Thanks for reminding me of Ryzen, though. The idea of AM4 lasting for at least another one or two generations is great; I dread having to rebuild everything once Coffee Lake comes out if I decide to upgrade.

This mobo is cheaper and available on Prime. Is Gigabyte a decent brand to get?

You need to be a bit careful when going for lower end boards since some have trouble enabling higher memory speeds.
Perhaps someone here can chime in but is there a known sub $150 B350 board that supports DDR4 3000-3200 with a simple tick of a button (XMP)?

Your build is way better if you want the ability to upgrade in the future. The AM4 socket will be around for at least two more generations if Ryzen CPUs, but the LGA1151 socket for that i7 in the Microcenter build is done after this generation. I really like your build and think you'll be very happy with it for 1080p gaming. It'll be super easy to upgrade the GPU or CPU in 1 to 3 years if you see a need at that point.

Great! Thank you for the advice. I've already ordered the case, but want to wait a few weeks in case any deals pop up on any of the other elements. Although I had read something about graphics card prices jumping up soon. Any of these components that I should jump on asap?

This article is only good for those who already have a couple year old Intel cpu and are looking to go to Ryzen. Unless you have a 3570k, 4670k, or 4690k it doesn't really apply. Basically moving from these cpus to Ryzen is a sideways move:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31761...-preorder.html

Good read which suggests waiting for 8700k or Ryzen 2.
You're using an article from March, when the RAM compatibility troubles and the lack of code optimizations were huge issues, as a thing to warn people off from switching to Ryzen?

I mean, sure, if you've got Haswell, you might not get much of a perf boost from the switch, but jumping from an i5-3570K to an R5 1600(X) can be worthwhile if you're playing games with engines like Frostbite 3 that like to use lots of threads.

Mrbob

You're using an article from March, when the RAM compatibility troubles and the lack of code optimizations were huge issues, as a thing to warn people off from switching to Ryzen?

I mean, sure, if you've got Haswell, you might not get much of a perf boost from the switch, but jumping from an i5-3570K to an R5 1600(X) can be worthwhile if you're playing games with engines like Frostbite 3 that like to use lots of threads.

Im scaring people away from Ryzen yet say wait for Ryzen 2 as one option? Ok then. It's a very specific subset of CPU owners I was posting that for. Money would be better spent on a gpu upgrade now and then a new CPU between the 8700k or Ryzen 2. I don't think the upgrade to Ryzen in this specific scenario is worth the cost of buying a new CPU, motherboard, and ram to make the switch. The upgrade isn't big enough. Now Ryzen 2 will probably be another story. I'm not against people moving to AMD and don't think Ryzen is bad. If you want a forward platform then am4 is still a good choice. I'm leaning towards a 8700k myself but if the benches don't blow me away I'm probably going to build an am4 PC with the 1600 and replace it with Ryzen gen 2 when available. I've been on Intel's case I'm not too happy their motherboards aren't supporting future cpus and are one and done upgrades. If anything I've been warning people about the upgrade limitation in buying an Intel cpu and motherboard.

ISee

This article is only good for those who already have a couple year old Intel cpu and are looking to go to Ryzen. Unless you have a 3570k, 4670k, or 4690k it doesn't really apply. Basically moving from these cpus to Ryzen is a sideways move:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176...ming-pc-or-why-you-should-never-preorder.html

Just my input:

I got a gtx 980 about 1 year after release. I moved on from a gtx 670, but I did hold on to my overclocked 3570k (4.3GHz). And why not, everybody was saying how awesome the 2500k/3570k was. Long story short, Games came and went and I was unhappy with my performance. Witcher 3 had drops to the mid 50s, JC 3 dropped to the 40s, GTAV wasn't able to hold 60 FPS too. I was pissed, the first time I spent money on a high end, up to date card and my gaming experience was still limited. I never expected to be able to use unreasonable ultra settings, but high-very high should have been possible, imo. I later switched to a modern i7, a CPU that was unassacary and only ~20% faster in some games according to most people. But I gained ~30fps in CPU heavy games. That was an eye opening moment for me. In the end I was able to get stable 60 while being able to increase settings.

A 980, 480 and 1060 are about on the same level of performance and are what many people use for 1080/60. I'd definitely recommend upgrading old 2500k/3570k i5s at least to a r5 1600, before getting a Vega56+/gtx 1070+. You right, the difference gains in some games are rather low between the 3570 and 1600, but whenever CPU power is needed it will be a huge deal, especially with high end GPUs. The big question is: will the i5 8600k be a better choice over the R5 1600 ? Chances are good, but we have to be wait for non synthetic benchmarks.

Mrbob

Minimum frame rates seem to be the biggest beneficiary for certain. I'm open to changing my mind on the topic if I see some hard data showing a significant difference but everything I looked at did not show a big jump. I5 3570k, 4670k, etc is getting old but has enough juice to last another 12 months until we see what AMD has next.

I'm looking at getting this RAM:
HyperX FURY Black 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 DIMM Memory Kit

It says it's optimised for Intel 200 and x99 series chipsets- if I'm waiting on the 8700k which needs new mobo too, does this mean it won't be optimised for it?sorry I'm a noob, Thanks

Phreak47

Oh, it is finally time for a new build. Waited a long time. Question is, will I stay with my Core values, or is Mr. Mojo Ryzen?

ISee

I'm looking at getting this RAM:
HyperX FURY Black 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 DIMM Memory Kit

It says it's optimised for Intel 200 and x99 series chipsets- if I'm waiting on the 8700k which needs new mobo too, does this mean it won't be optimised for it?sorry I'm a noob, Thanks

First 300 series boards are just rebranded 200 boards with a modified CPU socket (just a slightly different pin layout to make 8000 series CPUs incompatible with with z200 boards). All the rest is the same.

Oh, it is finally time for a new build. Waited a long time. Question is, will I stay with my Core values, or is Mr. Mojo Ryzen?

Right now:
7700k for high fps gaming, because it is still the fastest gaming CPU available.
R5 1600 is the go to CPU for most builds though, even for high end GPUs. Great price/performance ratio and will probably be able to outlive the current i5 7600.

But Intel's new 8000 series is getting a paper launch soon and should be available in 1-2 months. The new i5 has a chance to take back the goto crown. We'll see.

First 300 series boards are just rebranded 200 boards with a modified CPU socket (just a slightly different pin layout to make 8000 series CPUs incompatible with with z200 boards). All the rest is the same.

So in that sense this RAM should have no compatibility issues or such?

MikeBison

PC GAF, sound the alarm. All my bits turned up this morning, when I thought it would be a few days. Cheers, eBuyer! Just waiting on my GPU and peripherals from Amazon but they would be today I imagine.

So, I'm going to get to building after work.

Just a little help please.

Download latest Bios for Motherboard onto a flash drive.
Windows 10 on a flash drive.
Anything else I need first?

I'm assuming I can download latest drivers for everything else after I'm up and running? Such as GPU, Chipset driver afterwards?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176...ming-pc-or-why-you-should-never-preorder.html

Really, why link such an article? It tests three games. Plus it compares an overclocked CPU vs. a non-overclocked CPU.
So many quality Ryzen reviews out there (not all of them necessarily positive, mind you!), but this one is terrible.

PC GAF, sound the alarm. All my bits turned up this morning, when I thought it would be a few days. Cheers, eBuyer! Just waiting on my GPU and peripherals from Amazon but they would be today I imagine.

So, I'm going to get to building after work.

Just a little help please.

Download latest Bios for Motherboard onto a flash drive.
Windows 10 on a flash drive.
Anything else I need first?

I'm assuming I can download latest drivers for everything else after I'm up and running? Such as GPU, Chipset driver afterwards?

Should be able to - I'd say be plugged into an ethernet connection, though I'm actually not sure where Windows 10 gets its default drivers for specific chipsets from. Also, you can get up and running even without the latest BIOS if need be.

MikeBison

Should be able to - I'd say be plugged into an ethernet connection, though I'm actually not sure where Windows 10 gets its default drivers for specific chipsets from. Also, you can get up and running even without the latest BIOS if need be.

Just realised that everything but my GPU will be here today. The pain. Oh, the intense pain in my heart.

Can get everything ready though.

Just realised that everything but my GPU will be here today. The pain. Oh, the intense pain in my heart.

Can get everything ready though.

Yeah, the one bit that truly sucks with Ryzen right now is the lack of integrated graphics. Thus if you lack a GPU, you just can't use your PC.

Upgrading from an i5-2500 (not K) with a I7-6700K is worth?
I've asked previously and was suggested a Ryzen but I don't know

edit: the i7-6700K is at 300€ on amazon atm
edit2: or the i5-7600K for 230€

Upgrading from an i5-2500 (not K) with a I7-6700K is worth?
I've asked previously and was suggested a Ryzen but I don't know

edit: the i7-6700K is at 300€ on amazon atm

I mean, it'd be good, but if you're completely replacing the board and not getting the CPU at a cheaper price, it'd make more sense to get something up to date. The 7700k is less than 15 euros more, so if you're wanting top of the line PC performance that will last you, that's the option on the intel side.

The suggestion with Ryzen comes for two primary reasons
1) While it doesn't perform as well as equivalent intel CPUs in pure gaming (unless the game in question is big on multiple cores), it's generally better at so much else - steaming, rendering, etc - that if you do anything but game, Ryzen will on average be the better performer
2) Ryzen's success means that the baseline for how many cores are expected in typical gaming PCs - and thus, that devs have available for use - is shifting. The upcoming Coffee Lake i3s will have 4 cores, while the i5s and i7s get 6 (the latter having hyperthreading). So if games begin to take advantage of that, even older i7s will begin to be limited by their basic core count, where equivalent, current Ryzen CPUs may not. It's speculation, but still a consideration.

I mean, it'd be good, but if you're completely replacing the board and not getting the CPU at a cheaper price, it'd make more sense to get something up to date. The 7700k is less than 15 euros more, so if you're wanting top of the line PC performance that will last you, that's the option on the intel side.

The suggestion with Ryzen comes for two primary reasons
1) While it doesn't perform as well as equivalent intel CPUs in pure gaming (unless the game in question is big on multiple cores), it's generally better at so much else - steaming, rendering, etc - that if you do anything but game, Ryzen will on average be the better performer
2) Ryzen's success means that the baseline for how many cores are expected in typical gaming PCs - and thus, that devs have available for use - is shifting. The upcoming Coffee Lake i3s will have 4 cores, while the i5s and i7s get 6 (the latter having hyperthreading). So if games begin to take advantage of that, even older i7s will begin to be limited by their basic core count, where equivalent, current Ryzen CPUs may not. It's speculation, but still a consideration.
Ah thanks! I edited the post, is an i5 better for basically gaming usage instead of the i7? It's a more recent model and costs less.
I took a quick look at the spreadsheet in the OP and came out with something like:
- Intel i5-7600K
- MSI Z270 SLI / PLUS
- Cryorig H7
- Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15

It should be something like 546€ in total, how does it look? I don't know the difference for CPU Heatsinks so I took the first one.

My current GPU is a GTX970 4GB
Case is a HAF912 (http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mid-tower/haf-912.html) , only thing I should check I guess it's the heatsink size

For PSU I have a 650W one, is still sufficient? I never know how to calculate usage

Ah thanks! I edited the post, is an i5 better for basically gaming usage instead of the i7? It's a more recent model and costs less.
I took a quick look at the spreadsheet in the OP and came out with something like:
- Intel i5-7600K
- MSI Z270 SLI / PLUS
- Cryorig H7
- Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15

It should be something like 546€ in total, how does it look? I don't know the difference for CPU Heatsinks so I took the first one.

My current GPU is a GTX970 4GB
Case is a HAF912 (http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mid-tower/haf-912.html) , only thing I should check I guess it's the heatsink size

For PSU I have a 650W one, is still sufficient? I never know how to calculate usage

i7s are generally higher clocked and have hyperthreading. The i5 would be a good enough option for now, though might struggle more easily in the longterm - but then you'd potentially retain the option of upgrading to a 7700k when they're cheaper to get some extra oomph.

I would suggest considering a Ryzen 1600 build, for two primary reasons:
1) Cheaper, and performs very comparably.
2) All Ryzen chips are unlocked for overclocking, which the 1600 is capable of even with its modest, packed in cooler - further bringing the price down if need be.

Whatever you choose, everything else should be fine - including yes, the PSU. You wouldn't be taxing that thing unless you bumped the GPU to something with a higher pair of last digits and 'Ti' in the name.

If I wanted to build a PC to play Destiny 2, Overwatch, and PUBG on high settings, 1440p, and 60 FPS LOCKED how much would I have to spend? Never built a PC before.

On top of that how much would I have to spend for the same experience at 1080p (I'm guessing that's less)?

If I wanted to build a PC to play Destiny 2, Overwatch, and PUBG on high settings, 1440p, and 60 FPS LOCKED how much would I have to spend? Never built a PC before.

On top of that how much would I have to spend for the same experience at 1080p (I'm guessing that's less)?

Well, first question is: In what currency?

i7s are generally higher clocked and have hyperthreading. The i5 would be a good enough option for now, though might struggle more easily in the longterm - but then you'd potentially retain the option of upgrading to a 7700k when they're cheaper to get some extra oomph.

I would suggest considering a Ryzen 1600 build, for two primary reasons:
1) Cheaper, and performs very comparably.
2) All Ryzen chips are unlocked for overclocking, which the 1600 is capable of even with its modest, packed in cooler - further bringing the price down if need be.

Whatever you choose, everything else should be fine - including yes, the PSU. You wouldn't be taxing that thing unless you bumped the GPU to something with a higher pair of last digits and 'Ti' in the name.
Thank you, really appreciate it
ok so to sums up the situation, the only thing I have to choose at the moment is between the i5 and the Ryzen 1600 correct?
The mobo can hold both sockets?

And last thing, I don't know if the GTX 970 is already considered old, but with this setup can I expect gaming at 1920x1060 60fps?

Thank you, really appreciate it
ok so to sums up the situation, the only thing I have to choose at the moment is between the i5 and the Ryzen 1600 correct?
The mobo can hold both sockets?

And last thing, I don't know if the GTX 970 is already considered old, but with this setup can I expect gaming at 1920x1060 60fps?

Z270 is intel specific. For Ryzen you'd need a 300 series board. X370 is the one especially meant for overclocking, but B350 is the popular recommended suggestion, as it can do it too. Z270 is an LGA1151 socket, X370 and B350 are AM4. The former has pins on the board, the latter two on the CPU.

And yes, the 970 can still mostly handle 1080p60, maybe with the occasional setting drop.

Z270 is intel specific. For Ryzen you'd need a 300 series board. X370 is the one especially meant for overclocking, but B350 is the popular recommended suggestion, as it can do it too. Z270 is an LGA1151 socket, X370 and B350 are AM4. The former has pins on the board, the latter two on the CPU.

And yes, the 970 can still mostly handle 1080p60, maybe with the occasional setting drop.

ok so, to recap (sorry xD):
choose i5 --> get z270
choose Ryzen --> get X370 or B350

correct?

ok so, to recap (sorry xD):
choose i5 --> get z270
choose Ryzen --> get X370 or B350

correct?

Exactly. Good luck!

USD. I'm really new to this if that's isn't evident.

No worries, no worries. Everybody is new to it at some stage.

In that case, you're gonna be looking at a GTX 1070 minimum and the associated hardware to drive it. Probably gonna be looking north of 1000 dollars there, closer to 1500 if you're wanting some indulgences.

Exactly. Good luck!

In that case, you're gonna be looking at a GTX 1070 minimum and the associated hardware to drive it. Probably gonna be looking north of 1000 dollars there, closer to 1500 if you're wanting some indulgences.

Wow. Is that the case for 1080p/60 FPS AND 1440p FPS? Or just the latter?

Wow. Is that the case for 1080p/60 FPS AND 1440p FPS? Or just the latter?

Oh, 1440p. For 1080p (under ideal conditions; the mid range GPU market is still recovering from a cryptocurrency boom, so prices can be inflated), you'd be looking at 1000 dollars as more of a general max, maybe a bit over depending on precise parts. Most likely under, 700+ for sure though. You could go lower, but that'd slipping into medium-high territory, rather than high-ultra.

Exactly. Good luck!

Thank you very much for your time!
Popping in to say, wait for Intel 8 series coffee lake, the new guy with a 6 cores i5.

me?

MikeBison

Quick question. The AOC monitor I got has adaptive sync/freesync. Sweet.

But can that work with my Nvidia card? Like I know the monitor will work and everything, but can I use the freesync?

Quick question. The AOC monitor I got has adaptive sync/freesync. Sweet.

But can that work with my Nvidia card? Like I know the monitor will work and everything, but can I use the freesync?

Chief downside of going Nvidia really - G-Sync is expensive, and less common.

Plum

So I've lowered my budget for the four parts down to around £500 and this seems to be the best I can get for that. In total it comes to around £480 or so.

xAWnT5t.jpg

Again the heaviest games I'll be looking to play are Wolfenstein 2 (because, after trying TNO on PS4, fuck those twin-stick controls), Destiny 2 and Hellblade.

Any objections/changes or should I go ahead and think about getting these parts?

Thorgal

USB killer 2.0

( for those not able to watch it is a USB stick that when plugged in fires the electrical current it receives from the device back into it effectively short circuiting the device .)

i am slightly confused why this thing exist ( other then for "pranks " if you are a dick )

like why destroy the device in the first place in this way ?

even as said in the video while the motherboard and CPU are probably toast the hard drive has a good chance of surviving making this an ( extreme) non reliable way to wipe data on it .

what practical use has this thing ?

MikeBison

So finishing up for the night (light is getting bad) with CPU and cooler on. RAM in and motherboard firmly affixed to case. Power supply is in and that'll do until tomorrow.

Those I/O shields are fun amirite.

komplanen

Those I/O shields are fun amirite.

Asus has really good I/O shields on their higher end models. I always think these alone give ASUS +1 point in comparison, even though you typically only deal with an I/O shield once.

shield.jpg

No prongs or flip flaps to get stuck - the inside is a cushioned soft piece of shielding material.

MikeBison

Oh god. Can't for the life of me work out which side up the cables on the JFP1 pins should go. HDD LED etc. One way is positve and one is negative. On my case (a corsair) they're both black wires.

I'm leaning towards writing on the plug facing down. And that would line up with the diagram but I can't be sure.

So I've lowered my budget for the four parts down to around £500 and this seems to be the best I can get for that. In total it comes to around £480 or so.

Again the heaviest games I'll be looking to play are Wolfenstein 2 (because, after trying TNO on PS4, fuck those twin-stick controls), Destiny 2 and Hellblade.

Any objections/changes or should I go ahead and think about getting these parts?

Are you needing Wi-Fi functionality specifically? Because that could bring the price down a fair bit - or reshuffle it onto other parts - if not.

Oh god. Can't for the life of me work out which side up the cables on the JFP1 pins should go. HDD LED etc. One way is positve and one is negative. On my case (a corsair) they're both black wires.

I'm leaning towards writing on the plug facing down. And that would line up with the diagram but I can't be sure.

On the plugs of the cables there should be a tiny arrow (not easily visible in bad light, mind) that should go to positive.

kuYuri

Check your motherboard manual. It should tell you there.

Top Bottom