• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I was accidentally racist today

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I made an error of judgement. While I was conversing with a (indigenous) friend today, they happened to notice a group of people forming a circle which obstructed anyone from seeing what was inside of the circle. My friend asked if I knew what the group were doing and I casually remarked that it was probably a drug deal or something. This was before I actually fixated my eyes and noticed that everyone in the circle was black. I also noticed the scent of marijuana in the air at the time and that is more than likely where the "drug" aspect came from. The marijuana most likely resulted in a 'second hand high', which I have often found myself susceptible to-- likely resulting in my brief lapse of social judgment. The friend in question did not laugh and ever since I have been receiving stern disconcerting looks from others among our social circle.

How do I go about expressing my approval of other races at a subconscious level? Are there any articles of clothing that would accomplish this?

Ok this has to be a joke thread...

M.J. Doja

Banned
I genuinely wonder how some posters on this site manage to cope in the real world.

Not to be offensive, but many of them don't. That's why you see threads asking for mental health diagnoses, or advice on normal life interactions. Some posters are a little behind socially or have not had the opportunity to experience the real world. Sometimes they're just young though, like OP who is most likely a freshman in college.

I was in a room full of my buddies just talking. I was the only white guy. They were all talking about how they hate roller coasters and I was like "huh. I love roller coasters. Must be a white people thing" and everyone gave the the side eye. Not sure if that was racist but I quickly changed the subject anyway.

jesu

That second hand high was so strong he's now paranoid and thinks he's receiving stern disconcerting looks from others among his social circle.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I come back from a two week ban to this? Yikes.

Seriously, the piece of clothing is the weirdest thing about this whole thing. The secondhand high is just middle school stuff.

In style?

Didn't really insult him.

This explains the Nickleback love, so much.

Because I want to keep the few friends I have :(

Would it have been better if I left my friend's race in question? It would've made it seem like he was white and people would probably then think that I was definitely racist.

Naw your overthinking too hard, almost paranoid, but that's a symptom of smoking weed so your good.

Bronx-Man

Banned
How do I go about expressing my approval of other races at a subconscious level? Are there any articles of clothing that would accomplish this?
I got just the thing.

f_as_in_frank_july_30_vintage_009_1024x1024.jpg

pigeon

Banned
I was in a room full of my buddies just talking. I was the only white guy. They were all talking about how they hate roller coasters and I was like "huh. I love roller coasters. Must be a white people thing" and everyone gave the the side eye. Not sure if that was racist but I quickly changed the subject anyway.

I mean it wasn't like oppressive to our shared humanity or whatever but it's a pretty dumb thing to say, why would white people like roller coasters more

I made an error of judgement. While I was conversing with a (indigenous) friend today, they happened to notice a group of people forming a circle which obstructed anyone from seeing what was inside of the circle. My friend asked if I knew what the group were doing and I casually remarked that it was probably a drug deal or something. This was before I actually fixated my eyes and noticed that everyone in the circle was black. I also noticed the scent of marijuana in the air at the time and that is more than likely where the "drug" aspect came from. The marijuana most likely resulted in a 'second hand high', which I have often found myself susceptible to-- likely resulting in my brief lapse of social judgment. The friend in question did not laugh and ever since I have been receiving stern disconcerting looks from others among our social circle.

Dude, 'fessing up to your flaws is much more emotionally effective than fucking making up a fake as fuck excuse.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Find random black people to follow around supermarkets from the time they enter till the time they leave, silently. This will let them know "you've got their back." If your feeling extra helpful, call the police in the process and let them know you need help to watch the black too. This way you and the helpful cops can both protect those people.

I mean it wasn't like oppressive to our shared humanity or whatever but it's a pretty dumb thing to say, why would white people like roller coasters more
I dont actually think its a white people thing. I was joking because I was the only white guy and the only one who liked rollercoasters.

Shadybiz

Mannnnnnn I literally have the hardest time dealing with him now, because, ironically enough, "one of his best friends is black" (he didn't say this phrase, but I happen to know his friend and they travel all the time together.)

But personally, I'd rather not check him like I want to because I'm somewhat of his supervisor, not by title, but I assign his work each day and have to ensure he gets it done and would rather not have tension in the workplace. Right now there's tension of "why aren't you as friendly toward me anymore?", but I feel that's better than "you bit my head off with your words and put me in my place, now it's awkward coming to work"

Oh man, that's a rough situation for sure, and I'm sure very uncomfortable for you. I don't really have any advice to give...I wouldn't really know what to do in that situation. I do agree that a strong rebuke would probably make your day to day even more difficult. Amazing how one comment from someone can change the entire dynamic of a friendship and/or work relationship. What he said was absolutely out of line, though...100% no question about it.

pigeon

Banned
I dont actually think its a white people thing. I was joking because I was the only white guy and the only one who liked rollercoasters.

Right, so valuable lesson learned, when you are the only white guy in a room full of people of color, jokes that racially essentialize random things are not necessarily going to be found entertaining.

If this isn't a troll thread, you should consider:

a) Just let it slide, you're probably paranoid and making a mountain out of a molehill.

b) Talk to your friend, tell him this has been bothering you and that you aren't a racist.

It's as simple as that, if you know you aren't racist and that this was just a mistake you shouldn't have anything to fear.

Boem

This is the best thread in ages.

I finally found out how racists are made. Second hand highs are the secret. We can finally solve this thing.

Top Bottom