• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I was accidentally racist today

Zaphrynn

Honestly thought the "articles of clothing" was some sort of autocorrect mistake (my phone will sometimes finish phrases and it's annoying as hell), but nope. Actual articles of clothing.

Amazing thread.

Sephzilla

VO3HjlL.gif

Right, so valuable lesson learned, when you are the only white guy in a room full of people of color, jokes that racially essentialize random things are not necessarily going to be found entertaining.
For sure. I can get a little too comfortable sometimes. I'm pretty quick to recognize and fix things like that. Or just not say dumb things in the first place. I did feel dumb for saying it. No ill intent. Sometimes you put your foot in your mouth.

Right, so valuable lesson learned, when you are the only white guy in a room full of people of color, jokes that racially essentialize random things are not necessarily going to be found entertaining.
Well this isn't really true at all. It just depends on the crowd you're with. You should be observant enough to figure that out before you crack those kinda jokes.

So you’re a racist but you’re publicly admitting your racist because you think you can blame it on a “second hand high”. Jesus Christ dude the fix is simple, stop being fucking racist.

Bl@de

I also noticed the scent of marijuana in the air at the time and that is more than likely where the "drug" aspect came from. The marijuana most likely resulted in a 'second hand high'

How do I go about expressing my approval of other races at a subconscious level? Are there any articles of clothing that would accomplish this?

fed0a858-196e-4e52-bxtpo1.jpeg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
As a member of the Fellows Against Racist Thoughts Society, I'm glad OP had the courage to come to us to ask for forgiveness. As a certified forgiveness giver I'm happy to provide my services for the low price of £19.99. For your fee you'll receive an official "I'm not a racist" certificate that you can hang on your wall.

Also, second hand highs are not a laughing matter and I'm shocked GAF would laugh this very real danger off. Just last year there was 8000 recorded cases of people dying from second hand highs. Most are reported to have tried to sell 'wonderful mornings' and 'swearing they could fly'.

Raptomex

You inadvertently made a stupid racist comment and blamed it on something stupid that you made up; lapse of social judgement because of "second hand high". Furthermore, you went on GAF and made a post about this entirely comical, and a little racist, event.

I think the best advice is to think before you speak, and even before you post for that matter.

The funny thing is that since the OP didn't see the group, when making the comment, the comment wasn't racist. Just a miscommunication that could have been clarified. Thinking there might be specific clothing that could help him is more biased than anything else in the post.

Nekofrog

Banned
I wish I had such a low tolerance level that I could get high by smelling pot.

I have to have three solid bong rips now to get medicated. I need a tolerance break so bad but noooooooooo

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Not many people know this, but if you ever get stopped by a cop while doing the drugs. You can blow smoke in their face and now they are high. And you can slowly back away. Don't move too fast, but it works if you do it just right.

____

Oh man, that's a rough situation for sure, and I'm sure very uncomfortable for you. I don't really have any advice to give...I wouldn't really know what to do in that situation. I do agree that a strong rebuke would probably make your day to day even more difficult. Amazing how one comment from someone can change the entire dynamic of a friendship and/or work relationship. What he said was absolutely out of line, though...100% no question about it.

Yep. And it sucks because we really were kinda cool, but man...just his comment made me feel like in his head I must be "one of the good ones."

I'd rather not be all buddy-budy with him so he can use me tell others that he's super cool with some black folks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lol @ OP blaming it on a contact high

Take your lumps, man.

ZOONAMI

I’m baked all the time too OP from all the first hand bong rips. The second hand blunt circles I encounter is what really makes me go next level.

Bronx-Man

Banned
All this time I thought getting cooked just made me wanna chill with my friends and listen to Tame Impala. I had no idea I was actually taking hits of racism plants the entire time. No wonder we had the war on drugs.

Top Bottom