• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could give any franchise to any developer, who gets what?

theWB27

Microsoft buys Ninja Gaiden from Tecmo. Microsoft writes a blank check for Tomonobu Itagaki to create a proper Ninja Gaiden sequel. To think what fight mechanics he'd create with the new hardware....

Metroid to Platinum
Metroid to Platinum Games.
Metroid [..] to Platinum Games
God NO!
Do you guys even know what Metroid is about?
It´s about exploration and atmosphere, not fast paced action and cheesy japanese plotlines (we already had that with Other M).

I highly respect Platinum and it´s games, but they really are no good fit for the Metroid franchise.

On topic:
Give everything to Retro.

bsp

Give Half-life and Unreal tournament to people that still want to make games.

Valve has put out a game every year since 2003.

Mass Effect to CDPR

Giving HL3 to ND is the most inane idea in this thread. Do you want one of the best and most legendary FPS franchises of all time to become a third-person cutscene fest?

Atruvius

The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series to Obsidian. So we would finally get a non-dumbdowned TES sequel. And Bethesda style RPG's with good writing and interesting characters.

120v

zelda to retro... first person zelda, non-cannonical so things can be freed up

aunoma ould probably never allow that to happen though

Kalamoj

Fallout to Obsidian
Assassin's Creed to Platinum
Zelda to Retro (for this I would buy a WiiU a second after the announcement)
Warhammer 40K Space Marine to Bungie

Solitaire to Bioware

MrBadger

I'd give Dark Souls to Sonic Team

Serious answer: Zone of the Enders to Platinum. And I'd also be curious in seeing what they could do with Megaman Zero. Playing MGR reminded me of how satisfying it was to slice enemies in half in that game.

Couldn't any of these studios just make a clone of any game? No franchise is really important outside of the game play. Want a new Metriod game? Call it Space Jellies and anyone can make it.

Tigress

Game of Thrones to CD Project RED

Oh my... *DROOL*.

Did they not make New Vegas?

Exactly why I want them to do another fallout. I loved the atmosphere of Fallout 3 and I love the general gameplay better over the original Fallouts (I like them too but sorry, I do like gameplay better of Vegas/3) but everything else Vegas did better. They put in some nice improvements on gameplay (I love Hardcore mode) and had far better story and far better written characters. And unlike the Bethesda games I've played (Fallout 3 and worse, Skyrim), your choices actually get reflected in the game as you play along. I love how you had reputation with each faction and they didn't just respond to if you were good or evil. And the crafting was far more fun/interesting. And also the gunplay was far more fun and interesting (and I love how you had to pay attention to how well it pierced armor vs. how much damage it did).

I loved 3, don't get me wrong. But I'm glad I played it before Vegas cause I would have been disappointed with 3 if I played it afterwards. Vegas was so much better in so many ways (it took what was good about 3 and improved it. And honestly, I still liked the atmosphere but I do agree 3 did a better job of creepy/post apocalyptic feel).

Case in point. Even buggier game.

To be fair, from what I understand:
1. Obsidian was given a very short amount of time to make that game (and told to move it up). They had to scrap a lot of what they wanted to do cause of lack of time (and they still managed to do a lot with that game).
2. They apparently couldn't get much support when asking about working with the game engine for whatever reason (I think what i read was that time differences made it hard to get answers from Bethesda).

So if Obsidian was given a proper amount of time to actually work on the game and good support on how to work with the engine (and honestly I wish they'd get a new engine for Elder Scrolls/Fallout to work on anyways, it seems to be a pretty buggy engine in the first place), it is quite possible they could make a far less buggy game.

That being said, yeah, Vegas was pretty bad even compared to Fallout 3 (which wasn't great). For me it makes it worse I was playing both on the PS3 (I rebought Vegas for my xbox in hopes it runs better as I never was able to finish the first game :(. And it was my favorite Fallout out of all of them, including 1 though I haven't had a chance to play 2 yet).

Malyse

Oh my... *DROOL*.

Exactly why I want them to do another fallout. I loved the atmosphere of Fallout 3 and I love the general gameplay better over the original Fallouts (I like them too but sorry, I do like gameplay better of Vegas/3) but everything else Vegas did better. They put in some nice improvements on gameplay (I love Hardcore mode) and had far better story and far better written characters. And unlike the Bethesda games I've played (Fallout 3 and worse, Skyrim), your choices actually get reflected in the game as you play along. I love how you had reputation with each faction and they didn't just respond to if you were good or evil. And the crafting was far more fun/interesting. And also the gunplay was far more fun and interesting (and I love how you had to pay attention to how well it pierced armor vs. how much damage it did).

I loved 3, don't get me wrong. But I'm glad I played it before Vegas cause I would have been disappointed with 3 if I played it afterwards. Vegas was so much better in so many ways (it took what was good about 3 and improved it. And honestly, I still liked the atmosphere but I do agree 3 did a better job of creepy/post apocalyptic feel).

To be fair, from what I understand:
1. Obsidian was given a very short amount of time to make that game (and told to move it up). They had to scrap a lot of what they wanted to do cause of lack of time (and they still managed to do a lot with that game).
2. They apparently couldn't get much support when asking about working with the game engine for whatever reason (I think what i read was that time differences made it hard to get answers from Bethesda).

So if Obsidian was given a proper amount of time to actually work on the game and good support on how to work with the engine (and honestly I wish they'd get a new engine for Elder Scrolls/Fallout to work on anyways, it seems to be a pretty buggy engine in the first place), it is quite possible they could make a far less buggy game.

That being said, yeah, Vegas was pretty bad even compared to Fallout 3 (which wasn't great). For me it makes it worse I was playing both on the PS3 (I rebought Vegas for my xbox in hopes it runs better as I never was able to finish the first game :(. And it was my favorite Fallout out of all of them, including 1 though I haven't had a chance to play 2 yet).

Let's be honest. Has Obsidian ever make a game that wasn't broken? Even the ones that took an obscene amount of time to come out were still busted.

----

Back on topic: Alpha Protocol to Bioware.

as per wikipedia "Sega General Entertainment R&D Dept. 2" (responsible for Valkyria Chronicles) to get Shining Force

pokemon to blizzard

Tigress

Let's be honest. Has Obsidian ever make a game that wasn't broken? Even the ones that took an obscene amount of time to come out were still busted.

----

Honestly, I can't say. I've played games a long time but only recently have I gotten interested enough to actually pay attention to more than just if I liked the game or not (like on individual developers).

It's too bad though cause they did everything else right (and judging from what I've played of Bethesda games Bethesda is pretty bad themselves. Though I really think they need a new engine for Elder Scrolls/Fallout).

Fbh

This ones come to mind

The World Ends with you to Atlus
Final Fantasy to Mistwalker (or Level 5)
DMC to Platinum
Ninja Gaiden to Platinum

Non gaming franchises:

Attack on Titan to Platinum or mabye Sony Santa Monica
Game of thrones to Cd Projekt Red
Berserk to FROM

Damn platinum should have like 10 teams

Visual Concepts gets Madden NFL.

Naughty Dog gets the James Bond license.

Valve gets Dawn of the Dead.

Rare gets Banjo-Kazooie. (OK, they already have it . . . BUT THEY MAKE A FUCKING GAME WITH IT.)

Rockstar gets Escape from New York and creates a GTA sandbox game with it.

Visual Concepts starts making NHL 2Kn again.

Respawn goes back to a WW2 shooter.

Wiktor

Jedi Outcast/Academy to Puny Human

Rainbow Six to New World Interactive

Age of Empires to Robot Entertainment

System Shock to Streum on Studio

Batman to Pinkerton Road

Myth to Relic

Jedi Outcast/Academy to Puny Human

Rainbow Six to New World Interactive

Age of Empires to Robot Entertainment

System Shock to Streum on Studio

Batman to Pinkerton Road

Myth to Relic

Pe4wQiH.gif

hemtae

----

Dungeon Siege 3 and arguably South Park.

Also why do you want a game which defining characteristic is choice and consequence to go to a developer whose promise of choice and consequence in their flagship series is largely considered to have failed?

Malyse

Dungeon Siege 3 and arguably South Park.

Dungeon Siege 3 had to fix its controls post launch and that you suggest South Park would indicate that you've not played South Park. Buggy game is buggy; there have been posts in this very thread attesting such.

Also why do you want a game which defining characteristic is choice and consequence to go to a developer whose promise of choice and consequence in their flagship series is largely considered to have failed?

Because I would rather have an Alpha Protocol that was functional. Furthermore, AP wasn't some free wheeling, reshape the world to your choosing. It was binary as fuck. Ending controversy notwithstanding, Mass Effect had decisions that had weight. Also, are we pretending that KotOR and Jade Empire don't exist? And Dragon Age? But opinions. This thread isn't to debate, but to suggest.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm sure it's already been said, but F-Zero to Sega. Hell, I wouldn't mind giving it to studio Livepool either, or whatever the studio that Sony formed in place of it is called.

TheWraith

Star Wars to Yasumi Matsuno. Just imagine: Star Wars Tactics with an exquisite story full of epic heroism, political plotting and awesome battles. The two were made for each other!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Legend of Zelda to Platinum w/ Kamiya directing.

OMG...the thought of the awesome...I need to sit down.

Top Bottom