• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "Maisie Williams 'Looking Like Yes' For The Last Of Us Movie"

marrec

Banned
she also looks absolutely nothing like her. I'm not saying you must find an actor identical to the character, but you'd expect at least some slight resemblance.

I'd give the movie a chance, but from here it just seems like a really strange casting choice. Nothing about it makes sense to me.

Eh, I bet you'd be surprised how much they can make her look like Ellie. I'm not seeing this HUGE difference in looks between Maisie and Ellie.

No Chloë Grace Moretz? They better get Hugh Jackman.

I know they won't though.

I think Maisie can be great its just hard to picture her as Ellie.

Amir0x

Banned
I can assure you that it won't be a good adaptation either.

no videogame movie ever is

but then again I also don't think the game is some super impossibly high watermark of storytelling so it wouldn't be hard to beat with even a modicum of talent behind the project :p

Er yeah, just watch The Road. There's your Last of us Movie.

To be completely fair, and I say that having enjoyed TLOU dearly, anything written by Cormac McCarthy is automatically miles ahead of anything by Neil Druckmann. Not a slight on Druckmann, but McCarthy is in another level.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Now get hugh jackman

YES!

4geekslikeyoujoeljackman.png

Amir0x

Banned
Would be a better choice but Ellen Page get's my vote. She looks just like Ellie. She'd be perfect.

jesus guys looks are the absolute last thing to care about when it comes to acting a role

you can get every single shred of relevant plot/characterization from someone who looks zero like Ellie. It is infinitely more important to make sure you get an actress who can do the role right, no matter how close she looks to the part. Make up + acting does wonders.

None of this is to say Ellen Page is a bad actress (no comment), but geeze I hope you have a better reason than "lookz liek Ellie"

Drencrom

To make it more clear for you guys, she LOOKS NOTHING like Ellie.

Dude, looks aren't important to Ellie's character, having a good and believable actress to portray her is.

EDIT: Amir0x pretty much summed up my thoughts in the post above lol

Servbot24

Banned
That's why it's called acting. Surely Druckmann and his team know it better than us. The accent COULD be a slight mishap, but I assume she can pull off an American accent.

No kidding. It's possible for actors to play more than one character guys. That's why they're actors. :p

I think she definitely looks the part.

Asbear

Banned
Love Maisie, but I still disapprove greatly of making TLoU into a movie. TLoU is so impressive because it's story is told in the game medium. Why take everything that's special about it away by feeding it to a lower common denominator by making it a movie. It already is very much like a movie. There is so little a movie wit the same plot can do that the game doesn't already do.

IMO this is just Neil Druckmann having a case of megalomania.

Marcel

I can't imagine paying to see a tackier version of The Road. It's better as a game but they want to milk this franchise dry.

Dude, looks aren't important to Ellie's character, having a good and believable actress to portray her is.

I would argue Ellen Page is the perfect actor honestly lol

Considering how she carries herself she is very similar to Ellie almost natural in both attitude and looks

The issue being that she is almost thirty so there is no way to pass her off as an early teen assuming this is a direct adaptation

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I could believe it, her current role in Game of Thrones seems kind of similar with a young girl thrown into a harsh world where she has to make some pretty tough decisions and straight up kill dudes to survive.

I like it, think she would be perfect. Didn't care about this movie at all but now I'm interested if she does in fact get casted.

sn00zer

no videogame movie ever is

but then again I also don't think the game is some super impossibly high watermark of storytelling so it wouldn't be hard to beat with even a modicum of talent behind the project :p

I just dont think its going to be better or even close to as good as The Road.

If yu want to see Joel on film watch "Prisoners"
If you want to see The Last of Us environment watch "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes"
If you want to see a father protecting their child through the apocalypse watch/read "The Road"

The Last of Us movie is going to look like a ripoff of a bunch of other movies unless they do something drastically different, because it holds so closely to post apocalyptic tropes.

Teletraan1

Banned
Since she is an actress I will reserve judgement until I see her performance. I am not going to base it on some cockneyed GOT character and throw my hands up in the air and say that Arya is no Ellie.

marrec

Banned
Love Maisie, but I still disapprove greatly of making TLoU into a movie. TLoU is so impressive because it's story is told in the game medium. Why take everything that's special about it away by feeding it to a lower common denominator by making it a movie. It already is very much like a movie. There is so little a movie wit the same plot can do that the game doesn't already do.

The special parts of TLOU aren't the parts where you're sneaking around shaking endless dumb AI scavengers or looking for another stupid fucking pallet to float Ellie on.

StuBurns

Banned
Druckmann is the Creative Director, not Game Director, IGN.

Anyway, she's perfect casting, of course. But I'd be concerned with being type-cast if I were her. Ellie's arc is notably similar to Arya's, so far within the show anyway. Although, presumably Druckmann has some foresight as to what may become of Ellie.

Jobbs

Banned

I kinda do see this. I think making the game into a movie requires a pretty far degree of head in own ass. TLOU's writing and direction was outstanding, and I don't know if a lot of that is fate colliding or if he's a true genius, but either way I think when you're told you're a genius and brilliant enough times by enough people you can start to get carried away and next thing you know you're making a video game movie.

Part of what made TLOU so affecting was the long 17 hour journey that I took with the characters. It's just apples and oranges. I'm not saying you can't make a good TLOU movie, you can probably make a good movie about anything, but I kinda feel "uhh..." about it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
jesus guys looks are the absolute last thing to care about when it comes to acting a role

you can get every single shred of relevant plot/characterization from someone who looks zero like Ellie. It is infinitely more important to make sure you get an actress who can do the role right, no matter how close she looks to the part. Make up + acting does wonders.

None of this is to say Ellen Page is a bad actress (no comment), but geeze I hope you have a better reason than "lookz liek Ellie"

EDIT: Amir0x pretty much summed up my thoughts in the post above lol

Sure, that's why Page would be perfect. She is not a bad actress.

Looks are secondary to the actors ability to be the character and I think there are actors way more suited to fit the role, like Josh Brolin.

Jackman was amazing in Prisoners.

The special parts of TLOU aren't the parts where you're sneaking around shaking endless dumb AI scavengers or looking for another stupid fucking pallet to float Ellie on.

There are a few great moments in the TLOU that use interactivity, but they are drowned out by the far more frequent pointlessly interactive bits.

Take all the best parts of TLOU (the story, the characters, the writing) and turn it into the miniseries it deserves.

Top Bottom