• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "Maisie Williams 'Looking Like Yes' For The Last Of Us Movie"

Grow a full beard out and dye his hair black and it's perfection.

Just have to fix the acting then yeah.
0.jpg

Josh has the perfect look, voice and attitude.

zma1013

I kinda do see this. I think making the game into a movie requires a pretty far degree of head in own ass.

Part of what made TLOU so affecting was the long 17 hour journey that I took with the characters. It's just apples and oranges. I'm not saying you can't make a good TLOU movie, you can probably make a good movie about anything, but I kinda feel "uhh..." about it.

Yeah, it's a little trickier to create a bond between 2 characters in a 2 hour run as opposed to the 15 hours or so you get from the game or whatever. It's obviously been done before, it's just harder is all I'm saying.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm not happy with this choice. She is no Ellie.

She is the closest thing to Ellie that we're going to get out of an actress. Good choice. She almost portrayed the same part in Game of Thrones with the Hound.

Ellen Page looks more like her, but she's also older and wouldn't act the part as well.

good. now just get Daniel Craig to play Joel. Now before everyone says "wut? lolz Daniel Craig as Joel? lol lozer!" Just think about it for a second Daniel Craig as Joel. Mind blown. Boom.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't get people that think she's not a good fit. She's pretty much perfect and plays a somewhat similar character on GoT.

Being opposed to a movie period, I get, but objecting to this casting kinda boggling my mind.

Ellen Page does not look like Ellie.

And why are you all so obsessed with casting a clone of a character rather than just a good actress?

BokehKing

Banned
I kinda want this to happen too, people are saying she can't pass as 14 anymore, but I think if she really wanted to she could. Give me Hugh Jackman too and I'm down with this movie.
Hugh Jackman would be horrible...

Maisey would be perfect though

I'm surprised no clowns said "Chris Pratt as Joel" yet

marrec

Banned
Yeah, it's a little trickier to create a bond between 2 characters in a 2 hour run as opposed to the 15 hours or so you get from the game or whatever. It's obviously been done before, it's just harder is all I'm saying.

Yea, but 10 of those 15 hours involve looking for the same ladder you always look for or shaking the same dudes you always shank. The only interactive parts that I'd actually miss are the long stretches where the game gets to breath in the scenery while you mull over what just happened in the story.

Beyond that, cutting out Joel slaughtering 2000 people isn't going to affect the story in any negative way.

It can totally be done.

zma1013

Yea, but 10 of those 15 hours involve looking for the same ladder you always look for or shaking the same dudes you always shank. The only interactive parts that I'd actually miss are the long stretches where the game gets to breath in the scenery while you mull over what just happened in the story.

Beyond that, cutting out Joel slaughtering 2000 people isn't going to affect the story in any negative way.

It can totally be done.

There are quite a lot of expository parts during the game not related to killing 2000 of guys though. A lot of them are optional for sure, but they further help reinforce the characters.

ehhhhh I like Arya but I'm not really sure I like her acting.

That's not the same thing. Not everyone has the desire to play a 13 hour game.

Yeah I'm okay with it. as long as people experience and are introduced to TLoU world in some way. I always tell people about the game (they are somewhat casual gamers) and half of them say they "wish they had time to play it".

and LOL at people saying milking the franchise.

Marcel

Holy fuck I've time traveled back to the 90s! (I love the first Mortal Kombat)

Mortal Kombat is campy fun admittedly. Street Fighter is mostly atrocious though, even if it has some choice Raul Julia dialogue. Calling them "great" adaptations is some bullshit though, lol.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
No, she's almost 30 years old and can't possibly play as a 14 year old girl. It's not believable and taking away that and her age will lessen Ellie as a character.

Do we know the story of the movie yet? no one said she will be 14 years old.

Corpekata

Banned
I like the Craig and Brolin suggestions. Jackman looks the part but he's too nice. Even when he's playing assholes like Wolverine he's pretty cuddly. Craig and Brolin could give it that needed edge where Joel really seems like an asshole that doesn't want anything to do with Ellie.

Jawmuncher

Like people knocking Her for the role when we haven't seen the extent of what will be displayed. How many people thought ledger as joker wouldn't work? Quite a lot back in the day.

I just dont think its going to be better or even close to as good as The Road.

If yu want to see Joel on film watch "Prisoners"
If you want to see The Last of Us environment watch "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes"
If you want to see a father protecting their child through the apocalypse watch/read "The Road"

The Last of Us movie is going to look like a ripoff of a bunch of other movies unless they do something drastically different, because it holds so closely to post apocalyptic tropes.

I agree. The story of the game is already so similar to tons of other post-apocalyptic stories, and follows many typical tropes word for word. This was fine in a video game, where you don't really see cinematic storytelling done anyway, but actually turning it into a movie will put it toe-to-toe with all those movies that have not only already told this kind of story with these kinds of characters, but told it much better.

marrec

Banned
Do we know the story of the movie yet? no one said she will be 14 years old.

I think it's pretty integral to the story that Ellie be a proxy daughter for Joel and for that proxy to be well before adulthood, but old enough to mature throughout the game.

Top Bottom