• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: "Maisie Williams 'Looking Like Yes' For The Last Of Us Movie"

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Let's not forget this concept art. It COULD be from the movie.

2524527-tlouellie.jpg

Choomp

Banned
Hugh Jackman would be horrible...

I disagree. He's a great actor, has always done the gruff, jaded sort of things in his movies. He'd be great, he's also worked with Ellen Page before, and I'd really like to see her as Ellie.(I just prefer her as an actor, also been crushing on her for a long time)

This story should really stay in videogame format, even if the story of the game can easily be condensed into videos. I can't see this become anything better than mediocre overdramatic movie.

Like how the brilliance of Silent Hill got condensed into a mediocre horror movie, one that was alright, but that lost all the subtlety and greatness of the games. And that second movie was just offensively bad.

She is the closest thing to Ellie that we're going to get out of an actress. Good choice. She almost portrayed the same part in Game of Thrones with the Hound.

You beat me to it. She may not look identical to Ellie, but the vibe is right. The whole Arya/The Hound storyline on Game of Thrones reminded me of the story of Joel and Ellie in many ways.

Drencrom

Do we know the story of the movie yet? no one said she will be 14 years old.

Why the hell would they turn Ellie, a 14 year old girl, into a 27 year old woman? The story and character development in TLOU wouldn't make a lick of fucking sense if Ellie was a full grown woman, have you even played the game? smh

Zabant

Like people knocking Her for the role when we haven't seen the extent of what will be displayed. How many people thought ledger as joker wouldn't work? Quite a lot back in the day.

He doesn't even look like Jack Nicholson!

What a terrible actor

Marcel

This story should really stay in videogame format, even if the story of the game can easily be condensed into videos. I can't see this become anything better than mediocre overdramatic movie.

Like how the brilliance of Silent Hill got condensed into a mediocre horror movie, one that was alright, but that lost all the subtlety and greatness of the games. And that second movie was just offensively bad.

Video game movies made by Hollywood typically don't rise above mediocre or overdramatic. I don't see why TLoU would be different, yeah.

Sn4ke_911

Why the hell would they turn Ellie, a 14 year old girl, into a 27 year old woman? The story and character development in TLOU wouldn't make a lick of fucking sense if Ellie was a full grown woman, have you even played the game? smh

Take a look at the concept art i posted above. Again we don't know maybe it's from the movie, who knows... and that Ellie there looks WAY older.

Corpekata

Banned
Take a look at the concept art i posted above. Again we don't know maybe it's from the movie, who knows... and that Ellie there looks WAY older.

Again, why on earth would they be talking to a child actor if what you are suggesting is true? It makes zero sense.

marrec

Banned
Video game movies made by Hollywood typically don't rise above mediocre or overdramatic. I don't see why TLoU would be different, yeah.

I'd argue it's because the source material they're pulling from doesn't rise above mediocre or overdramatic.

Take, for example, Silent Hill. It's a pretty corny story regardless of it's video game roots. Make a movie from that and you'll get a pretty corny movie.

TLOU, though, is actually held back by it's more video gamey parts. So it makes sense to translate that to the big screen.

Marcel

You provide no context other than "Well it COULD be from the movie". It sounds more like you're reaching.

marrec

Banned
And those negate actual real people that I can talk to face to face?!

Well, i better make some calls and give my social circle some disappointing news.

Put the phone down Groovy and have a seat cause I'm about to blow your mind.

It's possible that you and the real people you talk to are all wrong about the same thing.

*boom*

Seriously though she's a great actress and your opinion, while valid, is quite clearly in the minority in this case.

Nzyme32

My immediate though is that she looks more suitable to play Joel's daughter, but I have no idea what her acting is like so I have no idea if it is a good decision or not. Still good to see that the movie is developing. Last of Us is very suited to a being a movie

Fliesen

Maisie williams is a great young actress and I'm sure she's a great person, but she doesn't invoke any "paternal protection instincts" in me, because she's ... uhm ...
not a particularly pretty / cute girl.

i do believe the fact that Ellie is clasically "cute" and makes her a lot more "protectable".

She doesn't have to look like Ellie. But big puppydog eyes would sure help to pull the strings - like AnnaSophia Robb in Race to Witch mountain; or Natalie Portman in Leon.

Ourobolus

Banned
I think she's a fine choice. My only problem is that it's a movie based on a game, and we all know how that goes.

That said, the source material is fantastic and could provide a perfect chance for a movie to actually be good. So there's that.

She and Hitgirl are the only two actress I can think of that can do an Ellie really well. This is a great pick.

Chloe Moretz is a pretty awful actress who can't play anything but Hit-Girl, and in Kickass 2 she could barely do that.

Casting her in what is most likely a performance heavy film would be a crucial misfire.

Drencrom

Wow, it's like you're in denial or something lol

That artpiece have no connections with the film and was made by the an artist that did concept art to TLOU on his own accord and is connected to the epilogue they did in that live action play.

Either way, Ellen Page isn't happening for good reasons and it's for the better

HGStormy

Banned
Hugh Jackman pls

He has the looks and the talent *swoon*

Anyone that doesn't think he could play a grizzled pop like Joel needs to see Prisoners.

Marcel

I'd argue it's because the source material they're pulling from doesn't rise above mediocre or overdramatic.

Take, for example, Silent Hill. It's a pretty corny story regardless of it's video game roots. Make a movie from that and you'll get a pretty corny movie.

TLOU, though, is actually held back by it's more video gamey parts. So it makes sense to translate that to the big screen.

And I'll reiterate that I don't see why people would want to see the low-hanging fruit version of The Road when there's already an abundance of zombie and post-apocalypse media to consume. TLoU is a small time when you consider the big picture of media franchises. I'm sure they'll try their best but we've seen how this goes when movie producers get ahold of a new property and wring it out.

Sn4ke_911

Again, why on earth would they be talking to a child actor if what you are suggesting is true? It makes zero sense.

Well Ellen Page in Juno wasn't 16 when she played a 16 year old girl.

Also Ellie looked EXACTLY like Ellen Page in the beginning, so the age really doesn't matter if the actress still looks very young.

Fliesen

oh GOD she looks nothing like Ellie cancel the movie CANCEL IT

you see, it's not about looking LIKE Ellie, it's looking like a precious vulnerable flower that needs protection. (regardless of that not being the case, as the story progresses, but you think TLOU would have the same impact if Ellie had looked like this:

Maisie Williams, sadly, isn't a flower. She's fierce, she's talented. But she doesn't fit the role of Ellie because she's not clasically pretty.

Fliesen

Not sure if serious, but I'd say Ellie is pretty fierce :p
And Ellie isn't?

see my edited post: Yes, Ellie is fierce, but she still looks like a weak, innocent little girl.

which makes it all the more exciting once you realize she's foul mouthed and can take care of herself pretty fine - but the first impression of her being just this little girl in need of protection is needed to make this whole change of perception worthwhile.

but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

zma1013

And I'll reiterate that I don't see why people would want to see the low-hanging fruit version of The Road when there's already an abundance of zombie and post-apocalypse media to consume. TLoU is a small time when you consider the big picture of media franchises. I'm sure they'll try their best but we've seen how this goes when movie producers get ahold of a new property and wring it out.

I dunno, I felt like TLoU did its thing better than the Road movie did its thing but alas, I am but a single person. There was just more emotional weight behind everything in TLoU compared to the Road movie and I think it owes that to the 2 characters being so damn good.

Top Bottom