• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Survey (62,000 Surveyed): Gamers aren't excited by motion controls.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Too late to go back now. Unless you can pull a Michael J. Fox, the future of gaming will always integrate some form of motion controls from now on. The Wii brought console gaming out of the dungeon and into the living room for everyone to enjoy. Asking it to go back into the dungeon is counter-intuitive to the continued growth of the industry.

Anyone who believes that next generation Sony, MS and especially Nintendo are no longer going to try and capture that rather large demographic, using intuitive motion controls, is being deliberately delusional.

Console gaming will never again be without motion controls as a standard or optional control method included with every system. Hoping that mocon will some day be a niche fad that will die out is only going to make accepting reality more difficult.

Evolving video game input technology, past adding wireless and more buttons, is just as important, if not necessary, as evolving the power and capabilities of the hardware inside. Both would lead to industry stagnation if left relatively unaltered for too long.

KevinCow

Banned
Red Steel 2 never get the love it truly deserved.

:(

I maintain that if the Wiimote+ and Red Steel 2 had launched alongside the Wii instead of the vanilla Wiimote and Red Steel 1, motion controls would be a lot more popular and accepted amongst core gamers today.

I think the pretty shoddy first showing of Wii stuff, especially the high profile mess that was Red Steel 1, did a lot of irreparable damage to the concept of motion controls.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can anyone name me a great motion controlled game? Anyone?
Koro...
The Kororinpa series says you're dead wrong.
Oh good someone mentioned it.

Buttons forever. I really don't like motion controls either.
You can have buttons and motion. It's not one or the other. Typing your name is terrible with just buttons whereas it is super easy with a touchscreen. It all depends on the usage.

Isn't ign like one of the biggest gaming sites out there in terms of traffic? People are making it sound like only "hardcore gamers" go there or something.
IGN killed Tingle in America. All the hate for the opinions they share they is deserved

I don't get it. The Xbox360 was my go-to console during the earlier years of this gen. Now its lost pretty much all of its steam for me, even to the point where people are now expecting the microsoft e3 conference to be a joke because, well...
Microsoft failed in making software for everyone. WiiSports mission was to make a game that allowed core gamers to play with non gamers thus popularity spreads through word of mouth. Kinect games don't appeal to the core so the primary consumer doesn't pick it up and the non gamer never gets a chance of sampling it at their gamer friend's house.

Ahahaha, "fads." Quite a fad Nintendo had there, eh? Lasted a long, long time for a fad. Was a success with a large group of former non-gamers who've now moved to the Kinect for more "fad" goodness, too!
Pokémon is a fad thus anything younger than that is automatically a fad. This is logic.

I really wish it was just a list with bullet points rather than some shitty infographic.
Well at least it saved us from giving them clicks.

The 1/10 times is not worth the exchange.
This isn't a case of either or. We can have both at the same time. Wiimote + nunchuck works perfectly well as a controller without implementing the motion sensor.

rpmurphy

I wonder if the advent of motion controls in console games had to do with the backlash against motion controls of all kinds. Because prior to that I kind of doubt that gamers in general detested playing arcade games that featured motion controls: light gun games that had you point down to reload, golf sims, Para Para Paradise, and racing and other racing-like games that required body movement to shift the unit. Even VR helmets tech demos I though were pretty cool... What happened?

I like the idea behind motion controls, but the problem is that they aren't to the point yet where they are really viable in most games. They lack the functionality and reliability offered by standard controllers.

With Kinect, it's a case of both whereas on the Wii, it's mostly reliability issues. The best uses of it on Wii are when the motion controls supplement, not dominate, the gameplay, particularly by finding good, natural uses for the controls rather than replacing a button press with waggle. Or, in the case of Skyward Sword, using motion controls in some spots where standard controls would have been better. Zelda, for all it does right, still has a ton of reliability issues when it comes to the controls. Motion controls are still very much a work in progress, and as such, they shouldn't be pushed to the forefront until it's truly time to change the way we play.

The lone exception this generation has been IR pointer controls on Wii. Aiming has been damn near perfect, and I absolutely would prefer to use pointer controls for FPS games going forward, rather than dual-analog. For a lot of the other motions, it's mostly hit or miss. Developers need to show restraint about when to use motion and when to not use it, and to really only use it where it makes the game better (and not simply different).

Motion controls are back to being niche. They failed to take over the default and are now largely relegated to dance games and some sports games. They are present elsewhere but hardly anyone wants them outside of those uses.

Remember when people thought that motion controls would replace dual analog for fps? Good times..

More like "hardcore" gamers who read IGN don't like motion controls. Not surprising!

Love love love the bitter tears over motion controls becoming popular. One of the best things about this gen.
This data means absolutely NOTHING. It is based on IGN readers. How is that representative of total population? And what's the point of having more than 60,000 respondents? They could get more reliable data with 100 respondents if the population was more representative. (this part is actually making me angry since IGN boasts about it)

Also saying that 24% own a motion device and actually enjoying it is misleading. Out of people that own motion devices 38% enjoy them (24% out of 63% that own one). I don't think I've ever seen more meaningless statistic.
I'm quoting this post with the futile hope it will be read instead of being passed over. I know better, but...
So in one post you generalize the IGN community as hardcore gamers, while also generalizing all hardcore gamers as hating and crying over motion controls. But mostly you just exude your joy over the fact that some people aren't fans of motion control. Then you quote someone else to emphasize that the article is meaningless. You have bitterness issues lol.

For me, motion controls just don't work well enough yet. They are not accurate enough to be fun. More often than not they just get in the way of proper control schemes and cause players to stumble through games. Until the accuracy issue is fixed, I'd much rather use a regular controller where the only limiting factor in moving through a game is my own ineptitude. If my preference over control makes me a hardcore gamer, though, so be it.

So when we want to disagree with a poll, IGN is a site for "hardcore gamers" and when it is some sort of review or other popular article/opinion, IGN is a site for the "mindless masses and casuals".

Jac_Solar

They shape games around the gimmick, but need to shape the gimmick around the game. And it'll stay a 'gimmick' until they learn that's not the way to do it.

Soul_Pie

I think motion controlled games really needed their defining game, but I'm not sure if the technology has progressed far enough yet to really convince everyone of its merit. I think we saw signs of where motion controlled games might take us, but the tech still feels unwieldy compared to the established methods of controls. Maybe this is simply the developers not investing in it properly, though, I feel like the motion control movement has been really hampered by the lack of proper third party support for Wii. Pointer control was really good, though, I had a lot of fun with the shooting mechanics in many Wii games.

I think it's more a case of the potential not being realised than players being against motion controls, if developers aren't going to get on board properly then neither are gamers.

Angry Fork

2006 - 'You'll see, motion controls just need that innovative, huge full scale game that incorporates true motion controls from the beginning and isn't just tacked on! It'll be amazing! Crow will be served to doubters for sure!'

2012 - ^^^

Even Skyward Sword a game supposedly built with motion from the get-go has mixed feelings from people. Get rid of that shit. It's always tacked on, it's a complete waste of time and resources and fucking stupid. I'm very glad most people don't care about it so it'll die out if it hasn't already. This E3 will be the test, Microsoft will probably pimp the shit out of Kinect but Sony/Nintendo will likely back away from motion bs.

Brickhunt

Personally, I think Motion controls are a great idea that was compromised by other circumstances, like the success of actual good games like Wiisports that unfortunately lead to the notion that Motion controls should be tied with party games.

For me, most of Wii games that relied too much on motion controls failed to deliver. While games that used motion sensoring alongside it's other features, like awesome pointer and the traditional gaming buttons, were very enjoyable. (Zelda: TP, MP3, No More Heroes)

One example of Wii game that surpassed my expectations and, at least for me, managed to be better than the superior X360/PS3 version is "The Force Unleashed". It had worse graphics and was less polished. But besides the exclusive and fun "Vs mode", it's implementation of motion sensory with button mapping made it a very satisfying game. Even waggle/not-accurate moves can be satisfying.

I can't say anything about Skyward Sword because I haven't played, but have my doubts if Red Steel 2 really required Motion + to be as enjoyable as it was. Most of the fun I had was not the 1:1 sword movement, but the sword combos that combined waggle with button mapping.

i-Lo

So when we want to disagree with a poll, IGN is a site for "hardcore gamers" and when it is some sort of review or other popular article/opinion, IGN is a site for the "mindless masses and casuals".

GAF like many other forums isn't free from double standards.

Anyway, motion control is inherently limited compared to standard control given the current crop of games and their design pertaining to interaction (inside the virtual world). It'll be always be accompanied by existing controller for tactility, accuracy and known limits.

mclem

Didn't know not liking a lesser form of control makes me a hillbilly. If anything you'd think it would be the opposite, but I'm clearly not on your wavelength here.

I think he's *trying* to say prejudiced. Badly. Howerver, it seems reasonable a reasonable assessment in some cases. I mean, you said it right there; "a lesser form of control". That's prejudice speaking.

I think a higher quality Kinect and a rethinking of sixaxis is needed and then to use them as supplemental controls only. The sequel to Steel Batallion I believe, has traditional controls for the majority of the gameplay and then uses Kinect to do things like raise your periscope or other interface control. This makes sense because it is intuitive and shouldn't hinder the gameplay flow.

-Don't shoehorn in motion control
-Utlize motion control as a supplement to regular controller game play where logical
-Motion controls should be invisible, a feature we just use instinctively, not some thing shoved in our faces and artificially made important

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
As much as i like Nintendo, if they went back to classic controls only, i wouldn't be mad at all. I prefer not having to wave or shake my controller while playing, especially for a game that dont need it(im looking at you Donkey Kong), i only like it for party or shooter games.

JaseMath

I find myself with the nunchuk up around my ear many times. It's good.
:lol And here I thought I was the only one who ended up like this.

Obviously the Wii remote/nunchuck ins't perfect, but I have no problem with 2-handed controllers as long as the compromise isn't a gimped gameplay experience.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Even Skyward Sword a game supposedly built with motion from the get-go has mixed feelings from people. Get rid of that shit. It's always tacked on, it's a complete waste of time and resources and fucking stupid. I'm very glad most people don't care about it so it'll die out if it hasn't already. This E3 will be the test, Microsoft will probably pimp the shit out of Kinect but Sony/Nintendo will likely back away from motion bs.

Nintendo backed away so hard they put it in the 3DS.

Montresor

I'm glad MS focused on motion garbage, because PC gaming is great.

I play all the time on the 360 and I find it amazingly easy to forget that MS seems to "focus on motion." There's no shortage of cool software that plays with a normal controller. Every month there's something new to play. I don't have a Kinect btw, nor do I really care about it.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
And this is the great game that justifies mocon for core gamers.

I270b.jpg

This game will be remembered as the father of the next evolution of First Person games. Imagine Skyrim with complete control over your axe or broadsword and shield.

When done correctly, I honestly can not see how anyone would not want to have more control over their avatar unless your laziness, and or prejudice, with mocon overcomes your desire for greater immersion and more precise character and world interaction in your games.

LakeEarth

I WAS excited for motion controls. Then the videogame industry went on to do nothing of interest (for me) with it. Oh, now if I want Mario to do a little spin, I shake the controller, ooh revolutionary!

Derrick01

Banned
I think he's *trying* to say prejudiced. Badly. Howerver, it seems reasonable a reasonable assessment in some cases. I mean, you said it right there; "a lesser form of control". That's prejudice speaking.

It is lesser though. You have the pointer that some would argue is better (I don't and I've used it when I had a wii) but for everything else it just doesn't work as good. It always ends up being faster to hit a button than to do whatever motion the game wants you to do.

That's not shocking, after owning a Wii for a few years no game made me think it wouldn't just be better with a traditional controller, even games that tried like MP3 was unresponsive with the pointer controls at times. I'm glad Nintendo is going more traditional next gen.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
What kind of motion controls are they talking about in the survey? There are different kinds.

Indeed, technically every PS3 and Wii comes with "Motion Controls" whether they are use or not.

The inforgraphics looks like it was terribly put together though, IGN for you though I guess.

Resi4 Wii Edition is by no means a "proper" motion controlled game but the QTEs are vastly more fun with waggle.

Also, I am definitely picking up a copy of Red Steel 2.

mclem

It always ends up being faster to hit a button than to do whatever motion the game wants you to do.

I don't think anyone is arguing that buttons aren't *faster* for simple actions - just that speed is not *necessarily* a beneficial goal.

There are places where speed is beneficial - pointer and mouse both have an advantage over dual-analogue for aiming because the process of aiming with a stick is clearly slower than your own reactions are - but it's not automatically beneficial in every situation.

It is much easier and faster to play DDR on a joypad than a dance platform.
It is much easier and faster to steer from full lock left to full lock right on a joypad than a wheel.
It is much easier and faster to play golf with a joypad than a club.

I think that the only game I've played that I felt legitimately benefited from motion control was Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, and that was purely down to the using-the-Wii-remote-as-a-flashlight mechanic. That was something that felt like it really worked. Otherwise, I'd be happy to see the back end of motion gaming, and I can't believe how much of an exciting prospect it seemed back in 2006.

Top Bottom