• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IHS: Nintendo portable NX console to launch this year

tr00per

Referring to triggers rather than sticks although I'm sure much of that still applies

triggerflushv6k55.jpg

Oh that's interesting. So it's basically attached to the top half. I was thinking more of it sliding along the bottom half. Hmm

So:

Portable NX is a single screen 16:9 with onbaird processing (I.e completely standalone like you'd expect)

Home NX is a proper console with similar but boosted innards based on the same architecture as the portable.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Also something that I don't think most people consider is what if the free form display is part of the home console or dock?

I can't see them having analogue triggers on a handheld.....but if it ends up having force feedback scroll wheels for shoulder buttons (as rumored) then they may use those to replicate analogue trigger functionality. Rotate the wheel to increase/decrease vehicle speed, let the wheel go and the motor will move the wheel back to a starting position much like letting go of a trigger (you could even turn the wheel in the opposite direction when in its starting position to allow you to reverse a vehicle at varying speeds..so an improvement on what an analogue trigger can do by itself).

Shoulder scroll wheels means it's time for yet another in the long tradition of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory handheld ports for Nintendo.

Might finally be powerful enough for a proper port. And the scroll wheels means it can replicate the amazing PC port functionality where you used the mouse scroll wheel to control how fast you walked, how fast you opened doors and so on.

qgnwMhd.gif

My single addition is that I want a share button like on the PS4. And I want it to look like this:

lmESvDQ.jpg

The Star Button. It's a perfect fit. (Round the edges down a bit.) Star your favorite moments!

Ok I'm done.

Can I also throw out that the reason the 3DS top screen wasn't touch was that if people were to keep touching the screen the smudges etc would interfere with the 3D effect. Not knocking the design, but the screen will be 3D or touch...But not both

I don't own a New 3DS, is this still an issue?

Peterc

2016-01-31_1138.png

Maybe if it can be done in a good way, there should be an option to switch your control depends on what game you are playing.

The_Lump

Banned
Better hope nothing comes at you from your left or right

Nintendo NX: Yo wasn't 4:3 good enough?!

I think the idea is, the space between buttons is 16:9.

The screen around buttons/analogue sticks is additional to a 16:9 screen, see?

You're gaining extra peripheral vision rather than obstructing your field of view.

I think the idea is, the space between buttons is 16:9.

The screen around buttons/analogue sticks is additional to a 16:9 screen, see?

You're gaining extra peripheral vision rather than obstructing your field of view.

But you're not though. I imagine my fingers would obscure 90% of that extra peripheral real-estate.

Then you're gaining 10%.

Then where's the point in Nintendo purchasing premium (or at least pricier) proprietary tech in free-form displays, if the perk is essentially minimal as 10/20% more screen-space? For gimmick's sake? There's some merit to the idea, but I don't think cost-effective is one of them.

Everyone who played on their smartphone/tablet knows how fucking useless and wasted the area is around the on-screen buttons.

Phones and handhelds usually require distinct resting and active hand-positions though. Phones typically have greater vertical height, and so when holding your hand and thumb is inclined to obscuring the centre of the phone; extra vertical space makes sense here, so you can see below and above your thumb during active use. Even when playing on phones in landscape, the argument is less about more peripheral vision, and more about extra-screenspace-to-phone-size percentage.

The_Lump

Banned
But you're not though. I imagine my fingers would obscure 90% of that extra peripheral real-estate.

Fingers? How do you hold a controller??!

Well then even in that (frankly unlikely) instance, it's still an additional 10%.

Point is, you aren't losing anything at all, and the talk of only having 4:3 viewing spaces is probably misguided.

Fingers? How do you hold a controller??!

Well then even in that (frankly unlikely) instance, it's still an additional 10%.

Point is, you aren't losing anything at all, and the talk of only having 4:3 viewing spaces is probably misguided.

Hah. The normal way I believe. With my thumbs on dual-analogue sticks, my thumbs and the skin&flesh&fat from my thumb-bones to my wrist, would obscure a lot of that extra screen.

Eh, my apprehension is more that there is only so much tech they can prioritise at a reasonable price-point. Would you prefer that Nintendo implemented a free-form display which effectively gives me 10/20% more space, but costs twice/3x as much as a traditional display? I'm biased sorry, but personally I'd much rather Nintendo focused on maximising DPI, resolution, system-power, battery-life, etc. before a unique display (though I do think it's a cool idea all the same).

The Microsoft Lumia 950 can output to a computer, using an accessory. Perhaps the NX will be just that. A portable that can output to TV, computer etc. I imagine this is where it's heading. Can't say I'm happy about it.

Shoulder scroll wheels means it's time for yet another in the long tradition of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory handheld ports for Nintendo.

Might finally be powerful enough for a proper port. And the scroll wheels means it can replicate the amazing PC port functionality where you used the mouse scroll wheel to control how fast you walked, how fast you opened doors and so on

hmm... they can get rid of the left analog if they do that!
Seriously though I can imagine a possibility of removing all face buttons, aside from the stick buttons as with the other patent. If they had 3 shoulder/rear buttons per side I think that would make up for any deficiencies. Could imagine some games using a scroll wheel for camera rotation while the stick is used for weapons etc.

E-phonk

Banned
The Microsoft Lumia 950 can output to a computer, using an accessory. Perhaps the NX will be just that. A portable that can output to TV, computer etc. I imagine this is where it's heading. Can't say I'm happy about it.
That's a hybrid, iwata discussed it at the investors meeting last year and wasn't convinced it would be a good idea

Phones and handhelds usually require distinct resting and active hand-positions though. Phones typically have greater vertical height, and so when holding your hand and thumb is inclined to obscuring the centre of the phone; extra vertical space makes sense here, so you can see below and above your thumb during active use. Even when playing on phones in landscape, the argument is less about more peripheral vision, and more about extra-screenspace-to-phone-size percentage.

I don't really get the point why there is much difference between the way mobile games handle it and that free-form display concept.

You are just wasting ressources for something you can't see.

heringer

Why do people want to get rid of the dual screen? Even when poorly used it's super usefull for maps, information, item swaps, etc. At the very least it cleans the main screen from a cluttered HUD.

Peterc

For the handheld. Why not? But there will also be a console, dont worry about that

Neoxon

Why do people want to get rid of the dual screen? Even when poorly used it's super usefull for maps, information, item swaps, etc. At the very least it cleans the main screen from a cluttered HUD.
Parity with the console & the hopes of a higher screen resolution, most likely. Plus the hope of Nintendo breaking away from the DS brand.

McHuj

I'd rather have a single hirer res and bigger screen.

heringer

Parity with the console & the hopes of a higher screen resolution, most likely. Plus the hope of Nintendo breaking away from the DS brand.

Didn't the DS brand worked well for them?

A small, low resolution screen can't be that expensive, so they can still go with a better screen on top.

Neoxon

Didn't the DS brand worked well for them?

A small, low resolution screen can't be that expensive, so they can still go with a better screen on top.
But you can't really keep the DS name for the console. And again, if Nintendo is doing a shared software library, both devices need more-or-less the same controls.

The NX competes against the large touchscreen displays of smartphones and minitablets. The adventages for touch games to use a large single screen are bigger than the possible drawbacks.

Also the touch brand worked for them not the DS brand.

heringer

But you can't really keep the DS name for the console. And again, if Nintendo is doing a shared software library, both devices need more-or-less the same controls.

Then don't keep the name. It can't have a second screen if it doesn't have "DS" in the name?

And I don't see how a second screen would make shared software library (which we still don't even know it's happening) impossible or even difficult. ZombiU was touted as a great use of the second screen and it was ported to other consoles just fine.

Even if they don't use a WiiU like controller (which we also don't know it's the case), they will have more or less the same controls, just with an extra screen for the portable.

Neoxon

Then don't keep the name. It can't have a second screen if it doesn't have "DS" in the name?

And I don't see how a second screen would make shared software library (which we still don't even know it's happening) impossible or even difficult. ZombiU was touted as a great use of the second screen and they ported to other consoles just fine.

Even if they don't use a WiiU like controller (which we also don't know it's the case), they will have more or less the same controls, just with an extra screen for the portable.
But then you wouldn't really use the second screen in games since the console's controller would likely lack one.

Why should they get rid of the standard way of controlling mobile devices?

As you can see in my above diagram, the NX is clearly a clamshell single screen device. It's awkward to use the top screen for touch. And there is no bottom screen.

I'm an old fashioned guy who doesn't like the idea of the Vita design where you have a 5" touch screen then also staple conventional controls to the side. I like the clamshell closing to protect the screen. I like the reduced overall width of the device because it's less awkward in the pocket. Also because touch screen games are satan's favorite games and get off my lawn.

heringer

But then you wouldn't really use the second screen in games since the console's controller would likely lack one.

Again, we don't know that. But even if the console does lack a second screen, how does that stops the portable version to use the second screen?

I'll use ZombiU as example again. What if a shared game like ZombiU worked on the NX console like it works on PS4 and on the NX handheld it worked like it works on WiiU? I don't see how this is impossible or even difficult.

At the very least a shared game could detect it's the handheld version and dump a bunch of stuff like maps, HUD and item swaps to the bottom screen. Why is that so difficult?

McHuj

I think an influencing factor in the design of the handheld will be if Nintendo wants ports or mobile games on their handheld.

If yes, then I think a single bigger touch screen is more more likely than a dual screen setup.

heringer

I think an influencing factor in the design of the handheld will be if Nintendo wants ports or mobile games on their handheld.

If yes, then I think a single bigger touch screen is more more likely than a dual screen setup.

That's a good point but I'm not sure they have a lot to gain with mobile games that are identical to what you can already play on your phone. It doesn't seem like it worked out for the Vita. Wouldn't it be better if they have the mobile games ported with enhanced features (like a second screen use and physical controls) to say to the market "hey look, we have a better version of this mobile game you love".

AmyS

I'm just glad January is coming to an end. It always feels like the slowest month and I don't mean only in terms of news.

In 2.5 days, Nintendo has:

FY 2015 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing

Time: February 3, 10.00 AM (JST) / February 2, 08.00 PM (EST)
Location: Hotel New Otani Tokyo (likely in the Fuyo banquet hall)

t1454461200z1.png

fuyompudt.png

Rodin

I'm still trying to understand why they should ditch the secondary screen according to so many people. Do you really hate having more possibilities so much?

I'm just glad January is coming to an end. It always feels like the slowest month and I don't mean only in terms of news.

t1454461200z1.png

fuyompudt.png

I don't know why but this image is starting to hype me lol

javac

People needs to forget about the free-form displays rumor (or patent, can't remember) because this is a worthless thing.

Nobody is necessarily saying the NX is going to have free-form displays, we don't even know what an NX is, we're just interested in seeing how a free-form display would look like if it came to fruition because the idea of doughnut screens is perplexing especially on a gaming device. In any case glasses free 3D was just as intriguing when first announced and sounded just as novel and expensive and is still something we don't see implementated on a large scale 5 years later.

Tarin02543

Portable NX is a single screen 16:9 with onbaird processing (I.e completely standalone like you'd expect)

Home NX is a proper console with similar but boosted innards based on the same architecture as the portable.

So perhaps the NX handheld will output 720p using the same data assets as the NX console, which outputs 1080p?

I'm still trying to understand why they should ditch the secondary screen according to so many people. Do you really hate having more possibilities so much?

Optimally, it is a nice convenience. I think for most people it boils down to a disbelief in Nintendo's ability to price a dual screened handheld within the necessary range and still increase screen resolution. Even more so with the Free Form Display.

KAL2006

Banned

Vita didn't benefit at all. Best thing for Nintendo is to differenciate themselves from smartphone games.

I still think Dual Screen is useful and backwards compatability is a huge reason why 3DS had success as well as GBA had success. Being able to play Pokemon Z on the next NX Console would make people transition to the next gen earlier. The fact that the architecture for 3DS os based on ARM makes it easy to have backwards compatability.

Blobbers

I don't like the donut screens. I think the next handheld's gimmick should be a nicer resolution screen, say 720p, so not a gimmick at all. Make it a 720p dual screen system and call it the Nintendo HDS. I know they need to try and reinvent the bread on this one but that's what would appeal the most to me, I think.

spekkeh

Banned

t1454461200z1.png

fuyompudt.png
People are so thirsty, Nintendo is not going to spill the beans of their new console on an investor meeting.

Neoxon

I don't like the donut screens. I think the next handheld's gimmick should be a nicer resolution screen, say 720p, so not a gimmick at all. Make it a 720p dual screen system and call it the Nintendo HDS. I know they need to try and reinvent the bread on this one but that's what would appeal the most to me, I think.
  • One insider on GAF said that the handheld resolution would be "higher than you'd expect, lower than you'd hope", so I wouldn't get your hopes up for 720p.
  • If the NX Handheld is under the same platform as the console, it wouldn't make much sense to keep the DS branding.

Brinbe

This talk of a possible separate handheld/console launch is the sort of brand confusion nonsense they need to go away from.

Neoxon

This talk of a possible separate handheld/console launch is the sort of brand confusion nonsense they need to go away from.
You wouldn't want to cause a living nightmare for retailers, hence why a staggered release schedule is a good idea. Plus each NX device would have the spotlight. Think of it like how Smash 4 was handled.

• One insider on GAF said that the handheld resolution would be "higher than you'd expect, lower than you'd hope", so I wouldn't get your hopes up for 720p.
  • If the NX Handheld is under the same platform as the console, it wouldn't make much sense to keep the DS branding.

So between 480p and 600p probably

Black_Red

Nooo!, I really want dual screens, it's really cool to have a clean interface in the upper screen and the few games tthat really used both screens in clever ways (like 999, TWEY, Etrian Odyssey, etc...)
Ant talking about EO, since EO5 is already announced, that at least means they'll keep the games with only one screen right? or it may be a late game for 3DS (Since it was announced in 2014 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=938821 )

Top Bottom