• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son Update Incoming: Change Time of Day, HUD Off, 30FPS Option

R3TRODYCE

Good stuff, SP. I've been trying to finish off my second playthrough but work has been slowing me down but this week I plan to finish it.

vg260

I really hope Sony is getting the hint here. But the experience was still cheapened for the day 1 fan.

Listening to feedback from retail buyers and making big changes to your game. That means you were a $60 beta tester doing a job to enhance the experience for the $40 penny pinching gamer.

Are you serious? They made design decisions, and are now adding optional additions based on feedback to those decisions. Complaints like this are so silly and perfect fodder for gamer entitlement claims. I'm going to assume it's sarcasm.

Gerbs

Neo Member
I've been staying out of the OT for spoilers, but was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue with this game I am. Specifically using neon powers (or looking at bright lights) at night will cause my screen to dim and almost black everything out. Looking away or if I stop shooting/boosting etc the brightness comes back to where it should be. Not sure if this is an engine feature or my tv settings needing to be tweaked.

Vibranium

Banned
Oh awesome stuff, thanks Sucker Punch! I'll do an evil playthrough after the patch comes out, I'm definitely going to lock it at 30 FPS.

BigDug13

I don't mind the unlocked framerate at all, I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the game was and didn't experience any juddering.

Was the experience really that bad for the rest of you?

It doesn't matter what you prefer. Adding the option should be standard in unlocked games. It's that simple. You can attempt to understand gamer preferences all you want, but a frame limiter in unlocked games needs to be standard across the board. I'd rather have the option than "framerate locked to 30 even though the game runs at 40" like so many posters here want to have mandated.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On that part I'm happy with. But after Killzone, was it not obvious to them that things like "frame limiter on/off" needs to be standard in frame unlocked games? Do they not realize until after a game releases that one of the most gorgeous games so far this generation needs to be able to lose the HUD?

I really hope Sony is getting the hint here. But the experience was still cheapened for the day 1 fan.

Listening to feedback from retail buyers and making big changes to your game. That means you were a $60 beta tester doing a job to enhance the experience for the $40 penny pinching gamer.
These are minor tweaks, not big changes.

I'm want to try out the 30 FPS lock so that I can determine for myself if the stutter issue is overhyped or not. My guess is that it is overhyped since I don't have any problems with the game as it currently is. I think people can notice it if they are actively looking for it or trained themselves to notice it, but that it is a nonissue for most people just playing the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm want to try out the 30 FPS lock so that I can determine for myself if the stutter issue is overhyped or not. My guess is that it is overhyped since I don't have any problems with the game as it currently is. I think people can notice it if they are actively looking for it or trained themselves to notice it, but that it is a nonissue for most people just playing the game.
Hey, if you don't mind unlocked frame-rates, that's fine...but there is a genuine, technical reason why some of us dislike. Image judder is very real and a direct result of the way displays handle refresh rates (at least everything aside from G-sync).

It's not something I need to look for to see. It's just obvious at all times and highly distracting.

It's one benefit of the PC, actually. You can pretty much decide what you want your target frame-rate to be and setup the game around it. I can't maintain 60 fps in Crysis 3 Ultra, for instance, but limiting to 30 fps produces a very consistent image at maximum detail. I've also played it through at 60 fps by lowering details, though the foliage all updates at a lower rate anyways making it look weird at higher frame-rates.

riotous

Banned
I've been staying out of the OT for spoilers, but was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue with this game I am. Specifically using neon powers (or looking at bright lights) at night will cause my screen to dim and almost black everything out. Looking away or if I stop shooting/boosting etc the brightness comes back to where it should be. Not sure if this is an engine feature or my tv settings needing to be tweaked.

TV setting.

Usually either under advanced picture or energy savings section depending on brand.

vg260

30fps limiter is a big change for many gamers.

I'd estimate the vast majority don't care. Just like the vast majority of console players probably don't care about 30 vs 60 fps.

That being said, I do notice it when it happens and it's great they're putting in the option. More options are better.

Hey, if you don't mind unlocked frame-rates, that's fine...but there is a genuine, technical reason why some of us dislike. Image judder is very real and a direct result of the way displays handle refresh rates (at least everything aside from G-sync).

It's not something I need to look for to see. It's just obvious at all times and highly distracting.

You might fall in to the category of "trained eye" the post you were responding to was talking about.

I never heard the PC crowd complaining about judder, although it's possible that they are appeased by the "throw more hardware at it" argument which is not available in console gaming.

char0n

Not interested for myself aside from the TOD changer, but this is how support/customer service should be done.

Artex

Banned
It's cool that they are fulfilling such specific community requests so soon. Personally, I think you are crazy if you want the locked frame rate versus the current, but different strokes for different folks.

On that part I'm happy with. But after Killzone, was it not obvious to them that things like "frame limiter on/off" needs to be standard in frame unlocked games? Do they not realize until after a game releases that one of the most gorgeous games so far this generation needs to be able to lose the HUD?

Ah yes, BigDug. The man who has 1300mb cap internet and can't download patches. I assume you are angry on the grounds that there's an update and you are mad that you can't obtain it?

It's cool that they are fulfilling such specific community requests so soon. Personally, I think you are crazy if you want the locked frame rate versus the current, but different strokes for different folks.

I used to think the same until I played KZ:SF with locked 30FPS, I was halfway through the game when the patch came out so I was in good position to notice any difference.... it made a big difference

Vashetti

Banned

Have you tried Remote-Play to the Vita?

The juddering is far more apparent.

Zephyrus

Banned
What a great update again, just beat the game but I'm going to take a break from this game, but will definitely play evil story with locked 30FPS. They said patch in 2 weeks at the earliest so that's good for me.

Also...

kind of sucks that you don't get concrete till after the game is over and there is nothing left to do

The power sucks though. Plus it doesn't have a karmic bomb

riotous

Banned
More console games should allow settings changes like this. Maybe always have default settings be the main setup that is fully tested, warn users who change from default they might encounter problems.

As nice as this is they are basically exposing menu options for things that could already be configured in their engine. It's fairly simple stuff.

Those are amazing updates.
I'm excited to see how the 30FPS lock will look like. I really don't have a problem with it now but I clould imagine that it just feels better at a locked 30.

Ateron

Super happy with this news.I'm glad they listen to their fans :)

I'm not too bothered by the fluctuating framerate, but since day one that I wanted to turn off the Hud. And after finishing the game I was kinda sad that we were "locked" in daytime, especially considering that some powers look absolutely stunning in nighttime.

Good job SP!

thefit

Devs really should start allowing us to have control of a games performance like pc. Look if I want it to run shitty but look amazing for screenshots let me go ahead and do it.

todahawk

sweet on HUD options (I specifically tweeted to them about that one and had it favorited) and double awesome on changing the time of day... great for SP to listen and respond!

Artex

Banned
I used to think the same until I played KZ:SF with locked 30FPS, I was halfway through the game when the patch came out so I was in good position to notice any difference.... it made a big difference
I did try it in SF (I still haven't finished it) and I went back to the unlocked framerate. Oddly after playing with it unlocked it felt so choppy to me by comparison when I switched it to 30. I might have a different opinion if I played it longer but I guess the bottom line is that I was happy with it unlocked to begin with.

Have you tried Remote-Play to the Vita?

The juddering is far more apparent.

I have not tried it yet. I can see why this is a big win on that side of things though; I hadn't considered that.

Moobabe

Does this make the time of day dynamic? Or just that we can change it via an option? (Sorry if it's been asked)

Grisby

That's cool.

On a side note can you not move screenshots onto a USB stick on the ps4? Is it only available for twitter and Facebook?

riotous

Banned
That would be cool, but the game does dynamically have DUP incursions all over the map when you finish the game.

I've 100% cleared every area of the game.

I messed around for a while after, didn't see any DUP. I'll have to check that out.

Game needs a new game + or something. It's worth the money as is but considering it's open world structure they could add some replay ability without too much work.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You might fall in to the category of "trained eye" the post you were responding to was talking about.

I never heard the PC crowd complaining about judder, although it's possible that they are appeased by the "throw more hardware at it" argument which is not available in console gaming.
Judder and frame pacing issues are very common on the PC but can usually be solved. I suspect most people with those issues never bother to fix them, though.

Top Bottom