• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son Update Incoming: Change Time of Day, HUD Off, 30FPS Option

Hey, if you don't mind unlocked frame-rates, that's fine...but there is a genuine, technical reason why some of us dislike. Image judder is very real and a direct result of the way displays handle refresh rates (at least everything aside from G-sync).

It's not something I need to look for to see. It's just obvious at all times and highly distracting.

It's one benefit of the PC, actually. You can pretty much decide what you want your target frame-rate to be and setup the game around it. I can't maintain 60 fps in Crysis 3 Ultra, for instance, but limiting to 30 fps produces a very consistent image at maximum detail. I've also played it through at 60 fps by lowering details, though the foliage all updates at a lower rate anyways making it look weird at higher frame-rates.

I have no doubt that it is real. I just question it's impact on gaming for most gamers. I think that as graphics get better people are noticing finer and finer imperfections but still using the same volume of criticism. That's my theory anyway. Honestly up until recently I never even heard about judder. Now I'll have an easy apples to apples comparison to know exactly how serious I rate it.

Btw I did notice some frame rate issues when I first stared playing Infamous. I don't know if that was stutter or if the frame rate dipped below 30. However after I got into the game I haven't noticed it since.

It doesn't matter what you prefer. Adding the option should be standard in unlocked games. It's that simple. You can attempt to understand gamer preferences all you want, but a frame limiter in unlocked games needs to be standard across the board. I'd rather have the option than "framerate locked to 30 even though the game runs at 40" like so many posters here want to have mandated.

Skim read the OP and didn't realise the update would allow you to choose rather than make it a mandatory change. If that's the case then I don't mind at all.

Unlocked is my preference though, since any negative effects that come with it seem to be a minor nuisance.

Concept17

I just started playing it yesterday but found there's no way to remove the acceleration on the right-stick camera. Hopefully this gets a toggle in the patch too.

Capping the fps was a smart thing to do, The game is just too jittery from what i've played.

These are problems for people?

How do people play any games at all if these are issues with this game?

I've been staying out of the OT for spoilers, but was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue with this game I am. Specifically using neon powers (or looking at bright lights) at night will cause my screen to dim and almost black everything out. Looking away or if I stop shooting/boosting etc the brightness comes back to where it should be. Not sure if this is an engine feature or my tv settings needing to be tweaked.

That's part of the game engine. The camera has an exposure setting that automatically changes.

Wow those are some nice updates. I'm halfway through my first playthrough (good) but I imagine that I'll do my evil playthrough HUDless. Given the emphasis on sharing gameplay content via screens/video, it wouldn't surprise me to see more developers include a toggle for things like that, or at the very least have it not appear in the screenshot a la Dragon's Dogma. Second Son is a title that deserves to be seen without anything cluttering up the screen. Gorgeous game, especially at night.

I don't really care about having a locked framerate here since I haven't noticed any stuttering in my time playing, but I am curious what the overall effect will be and will certainly give it a whirl when the update hits.

And some of you acting like Feature Justice Warriors throwing tantrums, saying these things ought to have been included in the initial release-- not patched in-- and calling people like me that bought this day 1 a "$60 beta tester" need to get over yourselves. The game isn't broken or had promised features cut at the last second. Sucker Punch has, imo, shipped a great game for us to play and is now looking at ways to further enhance that experience for a select few since I really doubt the masses are clamoring for locked framerates, or even know what HUD stands for.

breakfuss

Even if you're not a fan of the series, you have to admit that's really awesome of SP. I love developers like this! Glad to see the locked FPS.

Pop

That's a fast response from SP. It's awesome of them doing this, now I can zoom around town at night.

Fredrik

Cap at 30FPS

Internally we prefer the unlocked frame rate, but we recognize that some players find it distressing. So we’ll provide a way to ensure the game is not bumping up over 30FPS, if that’s how you prefer to play.
Thank you, that was all I needed to hear, time to get the game now. :)

Daingurse

Fuck yea, can't wait to lock that shit down to 30fps and try it for myself. Turning off the HUD will get me to take more screenshots too.

KOHIPEET

Great to see SP trying to please the community. I'll pick up the game after the 16th. Only one exam is between me and Infamous goodness now. So far away!

VanWinkle

Why do people want to play a game capped at 30 FPS?
Unlocked framerates go against the refresh rate of televisions, resulting often in a jittery experience. People like myself also don't like an inconsistent experience. I don't like looking one way and seeing 30fps, and looking up a bit and it's suddenly 45fps.

Daingurse

Why do people want to play a game capped at 30 FPS?

I don't like inconsistent frames, it feels less smooth than a locked 30fps. Infamous SS doesn't rise far enough above 30fps for the unlocked framerate to be worth it for me, personally. I learned this preference, messing with different frame caps on PC.

I prefer unlocked as I'm willing to accept some judder in exchange for periods of higher framerates. But it's awesome that SP is so connected with the community, it looks like they basically browsed GAF and Twitter and just made a list.

I'm excited about the no HUD option, but I wish it was like AC where you can toggle specific elements of it. Namely, the mini-map needs to stay.

I'm with the devs, I don't see the need to lock it.

Finished it twice, didn't see any frame rate jitters other than the drop when doing the Neon special move.

The time of day and HUD options though will be great though. Pretty unheard of for devs to respond to these requests at all, let alone so quickly.

Fredrik

These are problems for people?

How do people play any games at all if these are issues with this game?
An ever-changing uncapped framerate at 30+ fps was quite uncommon last gen at least, the usual thing was to have the game trying to be as stable as possible at 30fps with occasional drops when too much stuff was happening at once. This gen has been going for uncapped 30+ fps for some reason and is very annoying if you're sensitive to framerate judder. Locked 30fps is definitely the way to go unless it's uncapped at 50+ fps, imo, since you'll soon get used to the constant and stable 30fps stuttering as long as the game slow.

Lingitiz

I just realized that the second island doesn't get seen at nighttime (I think at the end for a short bit?). Anyways, that's going to look incredible and I'm looking forward to checking that out. Wish there was more substantial end game stuff to do though. Paper trail will have to suffice.

KeRaSh

Wow, they really listened to the fans. Great update. I'll check it out when the next Paper Trail update hits.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I would love a HUD off option that allowed us to intergrate what we might need to see it into the world like Dead Space does. I'm not sure how'd they do it, maybe work with the logos on the back, as you run out of power it takes away colour, or for the missle like attacks have parts of the logo appear and disappear as you use them.

- J - D -

Good news. I can put off playing the game for a while and wait for the patch.

30 cap will hopefully lessen some of the judder. I'm not sure how much I'll need the other two additions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Was uncapped framerate like the one Killzone? Because I thought the fps in Killzone was fantastic!

viveks86

It took them just 10 days to announce an update based on fan feedback. Great job SP! One of those instances when social media works really well!

Time for nbnt to setup his stitch-o-rama kit ;)

jacobeid

Banned
I already platinumed the game but this is pretty cool. The unlocked FR didn't bother me. I didn't even notice it to be honest. Game looked phenomenal.

One of the big annoyances with the game that I had was that I was stuck playing in daylight after beating the game. The ability to change the time of day would really entice me to go back and run around in the world, seeing as how gorgeous the game looks at night.

i still have to finish tomb raider and then dig into mgs:gz before getting to this. hopefully the patch hits before i'm ready to start. i'd really love to be able to immediately play with the locked 30fps.

Schrade

Amazing Job! SP ia such a great studio.

What's the ETA for the update?

twoweeks.jpg

Thank God.

The hud in this game is atrocious, and every game should allow for it to be disabled. Games look ten times better.

And a locked framerate is really needed. I guess I'll stop my playthrough waiting for the patch (even though the game is sooo damn fun it'll be hard to resist the urge to play xD).

Thank you SP.

Top Bottom