• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son Update Incoming: Change Time of Day, HUD Off, 30FPS Option

KiraXD

It would be very surprising to hear that a post process AA takes up serious amounts of performance. Especially when considers the cost incurred with SMAA T2x on PC.

4_14_antialiasing_gratgsb5.png

whats the best type of AA? (im brand new to PC gaming and so many games have options for FXAA, MSAA, ETC... i never know which one to choose.)

On topic though... locked FPS is awesome! cant wait to take more screenshots either!

sector4

What an awesome update to an already excellent game. Can't wait to take hud free screenshots at different TODs :D

Kudos Sucker Punch, you guys rock!

The framerate didn't bother me but oh man the time of day changing will be awesome. Will definitely hold off on my evil playthrough for this (and to let the Paper Trail content add up).

This is basically the "we read NeoGAF" patch.

Change Time-of-Day

Once you beat the game, a new entry will appear on the options menu to allow you to select the time of day! A very popular request indeed, and one we’re excited to enable for you all.

and this is what I want but instead, I wish we could get an Actual Day/Night Cycle....that would be so much better

Havel

whats the best type of AA? (im brand new to PC gaming and so many games have options for FXAA, MSAA, ETC... i never know which one to choose.)

On topic though... locked FPS is awesome! cant wait to take more screenshots either!

Best type of AA would be SSAA or SGSSAA (though not every game supports this).

leng jai

Great patch from Sucker Punch here. Wish they would do something or at least acknowledge the issue with the sound mix though.

I'd love a new game+ mode even though I know it would screw up everything :)
I'd be fine with some DLC that takes place after the main story. Basically more stuff to play when all powered up.

Also, would be cool to expand on the (100% district cleared spoiler -->)
DUP invasions of each district after you clear the city

As far as this update goes, time of day changes are sweet but I think the no HUD option is the best news for me.

Salz01

This is so awesome that they are doing this. Excited for the update. Still need need to play through my evil game. But I'm in no rush.

hohoXD123

On that part I'm happy with. But after Killzone, was it not obvious to them that things like "frame limiter on/off" needs to be standard in frame unlocked games? Do they not realize until after a game releases that one of the most gorgeous games so far this generation needs to be able to lose the HUD?

I really hope Sony is getting the hint here. But the experience was still cheapened for the day 1 fan.

Listening to feedback from retail buyers and making big changes to your game. That means you were a $60 beta tester doing a job to enhance the experience for the $40 penny pinching gamer.

A frame limiter should definitely be obvious, and hopefully it'll become standard eventually. But things such as controlling the day/night cycle or a HUD on/off aren't as obvious, bit difficult to tell prior to launch whether they will just be nice features to have which people aren't too bothered about or be highly requested. Even ignoring these features, no game is going to be perfect, the fanbase will always have suggestions into how the game can be tweaked slightly and improved. So essentially you're either going to have the option of the developers listening to this feedback, acting on it, and offering people who play the game later/launch players who replay the game a better experience, or completely ignoring this feedback and making it so that later players have the same experience as launch players. You're never going to get a scenario where the game ships perfectly so I don't see much point in complaining about developers going for the former route.

Lemondish

A frame limiter should definitely be obvious, and hopefully it'll become standard eventually. But things such as controlling the day/night cycle or a HUD on/off aren't as obvious, bit difficult to tell prior to launch whether they will just be nice features to have which people aren't too bothered about or be highly requested. Even ignoring these features, no game is going to be perfect, the fanbase will always have suggestions into how the game can be tweaked slightly and improved. So essentially you're either going to have the option of the developers listening to this feedback, acting on it, and offering people who play the game later/launch players who replay the game a better experience, or completely ignoring this feedback and making it so that later players have the same experience as launch players. You're never going to get a scenario where the game ships perfectly so I don't see much point in complaining about developers going for the former route.

Its also entirely possible that these features (aside from the frame limiter) were planned but couldn't be implemented in time to their satisfaction. Bugs crop up in the weirdest things, and maybe these smaller features had to be cut to make sure launch was as smooth as possible.

I'm of the mind that things are better late than never, though.

fallingdove

game needs to spawn more sign twirlers and street musicians

i think the spawn rate is fine. its supplementary to the main story and side quests. i had no problem getting the trophies while playing through the game. i just went directly to their locations when they popped up on the map.

Tsunamo

Massive props to Suckerpunch for listening to everyones requests and implimenting them.

Looking forward to having some fun taking screenshots at nighttime with the HUD off.

Frostburn

Awesome, I won't hold them to 2 weeks from now for everything but I'm glad they are working on it. I had a ton of fun with the game and I'm going back through as Evil just to see that side of the story and to check out the new powers.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Sounds sweet. Gonna take a break from the game until this update hits.

No HUD is what I really want. Time of day is an extra juicy bonus.

Jedi2016

static time of day is different from baked lighting.
Some parts of the lighting are baked (ambient/reflected/radiosity type stuff), but the sun itself is always really "there".

I'm pretty sure what we'll be getting is a selectable list of all of the lighting presets that were already present in the game during normal playthrough. Selectable weather would be nice, independent of lighting, but I don't know if they'll be doing that or not.

olimpia84

Time of the day is the best option out of this, can't wait to see all the amazing neon effects at night once again :)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I really hope the HUD and fps cap options become a standard this generation. All those nagging screenshot whores and judder-sensitives did us a favor in the end.

I still think it would be cool if we could get back to that very starting area of the game.

Same with being able to climb the space needle but I guess I can live with being able to get back up there with the concrete power....

The framerate didn't bother me but oh man the time of day changing will be awesome. Will definitely hold off on my evil playthrough for this (and to let the Paper Trail content add up).

This is basically the "we read NeoGAF" patch.
I really liked the rainy wet look out of all the times of day.

The best type of AA you can get on PC would be SGSSAA. It covers basically all AA problems. That with some temporal component would lead to pristine images in motion. It is expensive though and rarely supported.

Over the last few years Post Process AAs have gottenmore popular due to defered shading engines becoming the norm and (devl laziness).

MSAA is basically non-existent in modern games, and when it is implemented, it is rarely of great quality for its performance (Crysis 3 is one of the few modern games with actually great MSAA, Battlefield's MSAA is horrible).

SMAA is the best post process AA.

I really hope that the time of day goes with the free roam mode of it.. Obviously once you are in a mission it will go to the respectable time a day for the mission

Panthers

Gotta love Sucker Punch. This is pure fan service. Its very cool of them to do this considering (from my experience with the game) there is nothing wrong with the game from a technical standpoint. It runs beautifully. Its rare to get additional feature patched in to single player console games after launch like this. The only patches most console games get is for stability.

Its smart too since the screenshots with no HUD will surely help in selling this game. Its to damn pretty.

Pimpwerx

I'd be fine with some DLC that takes place after the main story. Basically more stuff to play when all powered up.

Also, would be cool to expand on the (100% district cleared spoiler -->)
DUP invasions of each district after you clear the city

As far as this update goes, time of day changes are sweet but I think the no HUD option is the best news for me.
Yes. Great suggestion. There needs to be more stuff to do after beating the game. Give us a chance to do stuff with the final power and full karma. PEACE.

Gotta love Sucker Punch. This is pure fan service. Its very cool of them to do this considering (from my experience with the game) there is nothing wrong with the game from a technical standpoint. It runs beautifully. Its rare to get additional feature patched in to single player console games after launch like this. The only patches most console games get is for stability.

Its smart too since the screenshots with no HUD will surely help in selling this game. Its to damn pretty.

Yep. More developer need to do this. Its all about the fan service in the end. Give people what they like.

sangreal

changing the time of day would probably be my #1 feature request, way above removing the hud (since there is a workaround for that)

Can't wait to try this

Cubed

Gonna be a sweet update!

I like the lighting after beating the game as a Hero, but not the inFamous lighting/time of day, so it'll be nice to switch that... and switch both to nighttime every once in a while.

"Internally we prefer the unlocked frame rate, but we recognize that some players find it distressing. So we’ll provide a way to ensure the game is not bumping up over 30FPS, if that’s how you prefer to play."

On behalf of the brotherhood of consistent frame rate appreciators, I thank you SP.

giphy.gif

I'm actually so early in the game still (about to get the second power) I think I may just hold off playing more until after the update. My backlog is crazy long anyway.

Top Bottom