• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

Bgamer90

Banned
Somethin' I cooked up. Let me know if it needs correcting.

qWs3tuQ.png

Interesting. I knew that COD was sub-HD but I didn't know that some of the 360 and PS3 versions of the same game (e.g.: Black Ops) ran in different resolutions.

Nice job BTW.

Assassin's Creed 4 is on deck.

That and Rivals will be the most interesting. Activision and DICE were letting people at least see the Xbox One version of CoD and BF4. Game Informer mentioned yesterday that they were allowed to review the PS4 version of AC4 but not the Xbox One version.

Teletraan1

Banned
If anything from what we have seen since the NES there is very little long term loyalty in the console space. People tend to drift from company to company based on what is being offered and there are lots if different circumstances that drive these changes. From media that allows different game experiences, innovative controls, price, performance, online and first mover strategies. How many Nintendo fanboys became Sony fanboys? How many PS2 fanboys became 360 fanboys? No BC for me means a reset. Take a look at what is offered and make a decision. For me Price AND Performance is a total win. Others might like the MS exclusives or online infrastructure so that is a decision that you have to make. But just be satisfied that is the decision you made. Please dont come into these image quality comparison threads and try and justify that image quality doesn't matter to some other guy that I dont give a fuck about. It is disingenuous.

KrAzEd

Banned
This belongs to Sony. You got it twisted, however I agree with the rest of your post. I don't like the Xbox though having one because Microsoft is a huge rip off... But I do understand that the experience is what keeps people at bay with Xbox. They don't care about all that extra stuff or lack of. Game wise however especially in variety, concept, risk, presentation, etc.... That's all Sony imo

I agree that Sony pumps out some amazing exclusives, something I hope MSFT gets going on. But to a core audience, I think the next 12 months shine favorably on the Xbox One. Titanfall alone is a system seller, throw in Halo 5, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, DR3, Forza, Ryse and a plethora of awesome multiplatform titles, they are looking pretty good. Hopefully they will maintain this kind of lineup year after year, I still have hope for a RARE comeback.

Gaz_RB

I should have elaborated more. Them winning the core a while back guaranteed them that crowd for the most part. By that inherited right (which was earned), they have had the most success in terms of multiplatform sales for games like GTA or almost any major release.

What I'm getting at is Sony's production and track record with games has been better the last few years vs MSFT's kinect focused efforts and multiplatform games on top of some of the games you noted.

That distinction will carry over to this generation since it looks like Sony is continuing that path of great games and in large quantities with PS4.

That there should carry it for a while and they haven't announced hardly anything from their top talent.

That kind of situation will play itself out and I have no doubt now that Sony has the price on their side on top of the games advantage that the rolls will be reversed. I have a harder time seeing them dominate in the states though but things are looking a lot better for them right now.

If the major bad news for Sony is lack of BG's, MP3, or DLNA at launch then I think they've done quite well.

I think I wouldn't have said the same for MSFT but despite all the riff raff the forum goes over they've made some strides.

What I'm hoping is that Microsoft starts to follow in Sony's footsteps a bit and start bringing the games like they did at the beginning of the 360 gen. I was very disappointed in it's lack of exclusives towards the end of last gen. I hope Sony gets them riled up so we can start seeing great stuff from Microsoft again. I just hope they still have it in them.

I agree that Sony pumps out some amazing exclusives, something I hope MSFT gets going on. But to a core audience, I think the next 12 months shine favorably on the Xbox One. Titanfall alone is a system seller, throw in Halo 5, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, DR3, Forza, Ryse and a plethora of awesome multiplatform titles, they are looking pretty good. Hopefully they will maintain this kind of lineup year after year, I still have hope for a RARE comeback.

Forreal. The games are one of the only reasons I'll be picking up an XB1 next year. Which is a good reason I guess haha

Marleyman

Banned
Imagine if some guy said this. "I don't wanna spend a bunch of time sending out of friend requests again or setting up a profile or uploading pics so I'm gonna stay on myspace for the rest of my life."

You really think a friends list and some achievements (how many people care about them is a big question mark) is going to somehow lock people into a brand forever?

I believe that an ecosystem that people have built for almost 10 years is very important to them. I believe that easily trumps resolution comparisons along with a $100 price difference. We will see who is right somewhere down the road when it comes to this.

Bossofman

Neo Member
And the Xbox division.

Maybe so, but they don't have much to work with, Sony obviously isn't going to be able to get in a price war, as they most likely are taking a good loss with the ram. MS doesn't have the Balls but they got three things they can work with, Price, Kinect, and Media Functionality

sportz103

What do people think about this tidbit from IGNs article two days ago, sourced by our own Mort...

"Activision has remained mute so far because work is being done to get the game up to the native 1080p mark on Microsoft's console as soon as possible; whether this is done by a patch on day one or later down the line remains to be seen."

evolution

I believe that an ecosystem that people have built for almost 10 years is very important to them. I believe that easily trumps resolution comparisons along with a $100 price difference. We will see who is right somewhere down the road when it comes to this.
If this is true i'd wonder why Xbone isn't leading in preoerders. To me its seems like a lot of people have switched over to the PS4 side.

Yeah they have a strong line up. I still feel Sony should have somehow held their exclusives for the PS3 and released them on the PS4. Just the fact that GT6, Sony's biggest franchise is being released on the PS3 after the PS4 launch is just weird

Marleyman

Banned
I should have elaborated more. Them winning the core a while back guaranteed them that crowd for the most part. By that inherited right (which was earned), they have had the most success in terms of multiplatform sales for games like GTA or almost any major release.

What I'm getting at is Sony's production and track record with games has been better the last few years vs MSFT's kinect focused efforts and multiplatform games on top of some of the games you noted.

That distinction will carry over to this generation since it looks like Sony is continuing that path of great games and in large quantities with PS4.

That there should carry it for a while and they haven't announced hardly anything from their top talent.

That kind of situation will play itself out and I have no doubt now that Sony has the price on their side on top of the games advantage that the rolls will be reversed. I have a harder time seeing them dominate in the states though but things are looking a lot better for them right now.

If the major bad news for Sony is lack of BG's, MP3, or DLNA at launch then I think they've done quite well.

I think I wouldn't have said the same for MSFT but despite all the riff raff the forum goes over they've made some strides.

I agree with what you are saying here. Sony has coasted thus far; their bad news is nothing remotely close to what MS has had to deal with. Now, MS has responded well but they will lose a share of gamers, no doubt about it.

Gaz_RB

What do people think about this tidbit from IGNs article two days ago, sourced by our own Mort...

"Activision has remained mute so far because work is being done to get the game up to the native 1080p mark on Microsoft's console as soon as possible; whether this is done by a patch on day one or later down the line remains to be seen."

That'd be great for people buying it on XB1, but after IW coming out officially I don't see it happening.

If this is true i'd wonder why Xbone isn't leading in preoerders. To me its seems like a lot of people have switched over to the PS4 side.

I agree that people have switched over to PS4. But the people preordering consoles are not the type of people we are talking about, for the most part.

Elios83

That and Rivals will be the most interesting. Activision and DICE were letting people at least see the Xbox One version of CoD and BF4. Game Informer mentioned yesterday that they were allowed to review the PS4 version of AC4 but not the Xbox One version.

THe AC4 situation is really similar to what happened with AC1 but in reverse.
No one basically knew about the PS3 version (although on paper it was supposed to be an exclusive for a certain period :D) until it was out because it was behind in development and Ubisoft had troubles with the PS3 architecture so they didn't have the time to stop and make demos or specific promotional stuff. That game turned out with lower frame rate and more frame tearing compared to the 360 version but it was not horrible imo.
Who knows what's gonna happen this time.

Marleyman

Banned
Yeah they have a strong line up. I still feel Sony should have somehow held their exclusives for the PS3 and released them on the PS4. Just the fact that GT6, Sony's biggest franchise is being released on the PS3 after the PS4 launch is just weird

The GT6 situation makes zero sense to me. You put that up against Forza 5 and you have those who were going to buy it on PS3 shelling out the cash to upgrade for the chance to play GT6 on PS4.

They threw the gauntlet, obviously.

Ghost is done, instead of wasting more time on it, they need to bring CoD to the next-gen.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist

Not gonna happen. I could see possibly 720p to 900p, but that would require major time and effort, testing, $$$. It just wouldn't be worth it. Better to spend that time on figuring on how to get the next CoD to run at least 900p.

The GT6 situation makes zero sense to me. You put that up against Forza 5 and you have those who were going to buy it on PS3 shelling out the cash to upgrade for the chance to play GT6 on PS4.

And even if it meant less sales it's a first party studio. The whole point of first party is so you can take risks like that

KrAzEd

Banned

Yea I agree, even that new Ratchet and Clank which looks awesome is only coming to PS3.

I will say pricing something right can do wonders, IF MS drops the Kinect and can get out a $299 XBO soon, they will kill the PS4

I don't think MS wants to lose billions of dollars on this though. A price cut that drastic right at the console's launch would also be seen as a sign of panic.

Bgamer90

Banned
Please dont come into these image quality comparison threads and try and justify that image quality doesn't matter to some other guy that I dont give a fuck about. It is disingenuous.

I don't think many are really tying to do that.

There were people in this thread that said that people who don't care about 1080p only say that just because "they are trying to justify their purchase decisions" and that's not true. There are honestly people who simply don't care.

So yeah, I overall agree that people shouldn't do what you said if they are doing it out of no where but at the same time, people shouldn't classify others who don't care about this topic as much as they do as "people who are trying to justify their purchase decisions" either.

Marleyman

Banned

I concede that MS has lost some of their faithful due to their ineptitude this summer. I just think those that they lost weren't the gamers I have been referring to. They lost some of the more educated hardcore gamers; not the COD, Madden, Xbox Live only guys.

It was ,even Jeff Gerstmann said it along with others.

It's not really comparable to the PS2. The Wii sold the most in each market. And the PS3 has the advantage in the majority of markets over the 360. The 360 really just took off in the US and the UK, so it's not too surprising that a US based journalists would view it as the "it" system of the generation since the Wii was often disregarded by the press. But like I said, it's not comparable to the PS2 which obligated every console in every market.

Gaz_RB

I agree that it would be a good idea to throw GT6 on PS4, but I also think it's a nice sign of goodwill for Sony. "Even though we're launching a new console this holiday, we're still supporting the last console you with huge exclusives as well, and you can expect the same treatment for the PS4 as well"

Marleyman

Banned
I agree that it would be a good idea to throw GT6 on PS4, but I also think it's a nice sign of goodwill for Sony. "Even though we're launching a new console this holiday, we're still supporting the last console you with huge exclusives as well, and you can expect the same treatment for the PS4 as well"

Yeah, that is why they did it..no doubt about it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
There is no ecosystem for either console. An ecosystem is everything. Music, apps, hardware, peripherals, etc. all of that is being thrown out the door this gen transition. Friends and achievements are nowhere near an ecosystem. It's a social network, something we see changed, birthed, shutdown, fled from and migrated to almost every other year. Had games, peripherals and apps carried over I'd say there was more ground to stand on. But a friends list? I think you'll be quite shocked by how many people will gladly give that up to move to a different social network where some of their friends already moved to. It's what happened with our group.

jadedm17

That price definitely had a huge part in how things went, no doubt. This is off topic, but I always hear about the last few years and how Sony blew MS out of the water with their exclusives. That may be the case, but MS built something this gen with the COD, Madden, Halo and Gears crowd that Sony couldn't overcome, no matter the quality of exclusives.

As someone from that crowd with a life-size Lancer and Gears of War 360 I have to say the new controller and price-point [and lack of a forced add-on] are definitely swaying me away from XBox.
XBox 360 was the first console - and controller - to click with me, I'm the perfect example of "what MS built this gen". Then again, to be fair their latest shortcomings are only followed by the true dissapointments and strange design choices in the latest Halo and Gears games.
Fuck you Epic Games
The feel of the DS4 controller makes me optimistic for shooters. I hope to go buy an XBox when the prices drop, but I'm definitely getting a PS4 long before then.

Top Bottom