• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

I don't think anybody made any comparisons between the PS4 and Xbox One version. You're saying you were locked to get an Xbox One no matter how bad the multiplatform games were. A multiplatform games get delayed, but we also start hearing several multiplatform games running better on PS4 and at a higher resolution, and the delay is what causes you to not want the PS4? That just doesn't make sense. I'm not saying buying an Xbox One over the PS4 is a senseless decision. That's fine. But your reasoning for now deciding to not get the PS4 just seems like such a non-sequitur. It would be like me saying I decided to only get the PS4 instead of both because Watch Dogs got delayed and Sony said some of the PS4 features like Suspend/Resume wouldn't be around at launch. I'd suspect that would give you a very confused look.

The delay didn't make me NOT want a PS4 period. It made me not feel I needed one at launch. I said on the very day that Watch Dogs was delayed that it most likely meant I'd be canceling my ps4 pre-order for now and just wait till more games that I want to play are available for it. Trust me, this isn't a recent thing that I've only begun saying since comparisons have come out. :)

Examples

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86219467&postcount=89

Wow, this sure came out of nowhere, but better to delay it and make sure it's as good as possible, rather than release it in pretty bad shape. This was one of the key multi-platforms I was watching also. Wasn't really certain which platform I would end up buying it for.

Holy crap, the technical lead for Watch Dogs quit? I'm assuming his work had to have been done, or else perhaps there's some news here.

So, as you can see, this isn't something I've only just started saying. I've always been saying that watch dogs was the launch multi-platform I was keeping an eye on the most between the two systems.

Whether or not I kept my PS4 pre-order largely hinged on how this game ended up between the two platforms, so the fact that it's now been pushed off probably means I hold off on my ps4, which probably works out for the better since by the time I do pick one up there will be more games that I really want to play.

I thought for a bit there that Killzone alone would do it, but I was buying that game for the wrong reasons (purely graphics related.)

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showpost.php?p=86163142&postcount=971

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
americanpie720pz5pik.gif

Ha ha ha. LOL. Top drawer mate. ;)

Can't believe I clicked on this garbage.

You're missing the point of that site. It's extremely entertaining.

The delay didn't make me NOT want a PS4 period. It made me not feel I needed one at launch. I said on the very day that Watch Dogs was delayed that it most likely meant I'd be canceling my ps4 pre-order for now and just wait till more games that I want to play are available for it. Trust me, this isn't a recent thing that I've only begun saying since comparisons have come out. :)

Examples

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86219467&postcount=89

So, as you can see, this isn't something I've only just started saying. I've always been saying that watch dogs was the launch multi-platform I was keeping an eye on the most between the two systems.

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showpost.php?p=86163142&postcount=971
Ok, so the delay was the straw that broke the camel's back. It still doesn't make sense. Again, I'm not trying to say that going with only the Xbox One is bad or senseless. It's just that the reasoning you are providing doesn't make sense. Drive Club would make much more sense, for example.

You could also pick up a hammer and smash your own hand, braking your bones. You are perfectly within your right to do so.

It wouldn't make it any less of a stupid decision. Nore would it stop me from pointing a laughing at you

Well, hey, I'm just glad you'll be thinking about me while I'm enjoying myself. I appreciate that. :)

Ok, so the delay was the straw that broke the camel's back. It still doesn't make sense. Again, I'm not trying to say that going with only the Xbox One is bad or senseless. It's just that the reasoning you are providing doesn't make sense. Drive Club would make much more sense, for example.

I was always careful never to bad mouth that game, but hell to the nah. I was not interested in that game, so it had literally zero impact on my ps4 pre-order being canceled. It was 100% watch dogs for me. With Drive Club I just appreciated seeing how it was coming along and how the dev communicated the improvements, but that's about it really.

The only thing that annoys me about all this isnt the fanbois on either side thats expected its the fucking so called games journalists telling us it doesnt matter. Erm yes it does and its suppose to be part of your job to inform the reader of these differences. How do you know people wont notice the difference and why are you trying to make the choice for them.

Yup, here is one good example I read on shitaku last night.

http://kotaku.com/about-those-xbox-one-vs-ps4-graphics-rumors-1454130634

madmackem

Real journalist:

Would people notice the difference? Perform research by showing people running versions of both games and asking people for their input in the form of a survey response. Provide consumers with results.

Games journalist:

Thanks M$ for covering my heating bill this month. Your average gamer will not be able to tell the difference. Both systems are good.

Agree it shows how very young this medium is that you dont have anything like that going on it all rather feels immature games journalism.

Thrakier

The only thing that annoys me about all this isnt the fanbois on either side thats expected its the fucking so called games journalists telling us it doesnt matter. Erm yes it does and its suppose to be part of your job to inform the reader of these differences. How do you know people wont notice the difference and why are you trying to make the choice for them.

Right. I'm guessing there a huge amount of moneyhats going around to some and the other half is just technical incompetent. Who was the guy again who said he can't see a difference between 720p and 1080p? Even Penello said something like that. Or the GG guy who stated crazy these about 60FPS and unlocking a stable 30FPS framerate to make it a stuttering mess. Journalists making TLOU game of the generation without even stating ONCE that the game runs like shit.

With people like these in charge, how'd you expect that we will every achieve some sort of baseline technical quality. The people who make and write about games, they don't give a fuck about quality craftsmanship besides design/gameplay and that is the issue here.

Ploid 3.0

Hah, if you're going to wall of text around me, you better use something I haven't already read!! :D

Oh man, this gave me chills in a "Oh snap" kind of way. I was expecting you to reply with something relating to what was said in the bubbles but this tops that. Feels like we had a bit of a read battle and I'm a spectator. /bow

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So has MS commented on the resolution differences between launch multi platform games yet?

Lol the main reason I never read Senjutsusage's posts. You spend 10 mins reading it and realise it has little to no substance and can be summed in a couple of sentences.

I've told you once before Mantis. I already know how to defeat you. All I need do is plug out my keyboard and plug it into a different USB port on my PC, then you can no longer read my mind.

DragonNC

No problem, just find me a system for the same price or better than an Xbox One, where I can play some of the same exclusive games, have a camera style device that works as well with it as the new Kinect does the Xbox One, and where I can also enjoy the same features and services. If you can find me such a system, or even a combination of devices or products that do this for $500 or better, and can then proceed to promise me that I'll be able to play Ryse, Halo 5, Quantum Break, Dead Rising 3, Crimson Dragon, Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive, Swery's D4, Forza Motorsport 5, and in which there will also be a very high chance that most of the games released for the system will benefit from dedicated servers that are provided to developers free of charge, then feel free to point me in the right direction. I'll gladly cancel my Xbox One pre-order on the spot if such a system exists at a better price than the cost of an Xbox One.

Now, obviously there's some sarcasm there, because there is literally no other system that can be found anywhere in the world that will offer the same exact thing as what the Xbox One will be offering for $500. Some of these games are important to people, some of the features are important to people. This is why some need to understand why some of us aren't driven up the wall to cancel our pre-orders, or to declare that we have no further interest in the Xbox One when a game like Call of Duty ghosts (a franchise I have not purchased since modern warfare 2) is not running at a specific resolution in comparison to the PlayStation 4 version of the game. For individuals in which the subject of this thread is a make or break issue, they have every right to determine that an Xbox One is too weak for their needs, or has no games of big enough interest to warrant their attention, and proceed to cancel their pre-orders. It's your money, and you can't very well buy something you don't feel good about. That's something we should all respect.

However, it doesn't seem to work so well in the reverse. We need to also respect that there are people who don't share that same view. There are people out there for whom there are bigger issues than the PS4 simply being a more powerful videogames console than the Xbox One, or, yes, even issues bigger than the PS4 costing $100 less. People say Sony has the best first party studios in the world, and they do indeed have some of the best first party studios in the world, but they do not have all of the best in the world. Just as you'll have incredible first party games coming to the PS4, ones in which I will certainly buy a PS4 to play, there will also be incredible first party or otherwise titles coming to the Xbox One. In fact, quite a few are available at launch on either system depending on which titles managed to sink their hooks in deeper. You can tell by my avatar which launch title has me the most excited right now. It sure as heck isn't all about exclusives, though, we know that, but don't be surprised to get a bit of defiance when people openly wonder what reasons there could possibly be for anyone to even remotely consider an Xbox One purchase at this point. The simple answer is for the price you're paying no other system or combination of products will give you access to all the things an Xbox One does at $500. I have no qualms buying the "inferior" version of a game, because, really, only I determine whether or not it meets certain minimum standards that I approve of. And should a game not meet those then I'll buy that game on a system that does. It's really quite simple.

Let's for a moment forget features, and assume the PS4 and the Xbox One simply had all the same games, PS4 has Ryse, it has Halo, it has Quantum Break, Xbox One also has Uncharted, God of War, The Order 1866, you get the idea. In such a circumstance there's no way in hell I would ever purchase an Xbox One for $100 more while it's also the weaker system of the two. I would also advice anybody I know to not purchase such a system either, but, as is obvious, the circumstances aren't quite so simple. I go first and foremost where games I'm much more interested in playing can be found, not where they can't be. For me Microsoft are doing a better job at launch with games I want most. I'll buy a PS4 when I think the time is right to do so.

A rely good point there & who cares...i will get 2 consoles any whey.

dr_rus

Hey, I remember those days when there were people saying that all multiplatform will look the same and 50% power difference doesn't matter. That went past us fast, isn't it?

DBT85

So has MS commented on the resolution differences between launch multi platform games yet?

All they will say is that they look great on Xbone, that Xbone has great features and will offer an unprecedented experience and incredible exclusive content. They won't comment on the power difference or the resolution difference.

But it does make some of Penellos comments on here look laughable. Particularly the WE INVENTED DIRECT X meltdown which has become a meme all of it's own.

rdrr gnr

Not being able to tell the difference or not valuing the difference (this one is utter bullshit) or not caring about the difference is totally independent from the inarguable fact of the difference existing. That's what journalists should point out.

One of their spokesmen said this in the kotaku article I posted above:

Thousands of fans are currently playing Xbox One games via our Area One tour and feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. With launch a couple weeks away we encourage media and fans alike to play final games and judge for themselves. We’ve created a new generation system that offers amazing games that will run at 1080p either natively or upscaled. It is up to individual developers to determine what resolution best fits their design goals at launch. There is no single metric that can accurately predict how games will look and perform and it’s much more than just pixel count. It’s about the entire experience including game fidelity, how you access your games, your friends, the multiplayer experience and other new generation experiences only available on Xbox One. We believe Xbox One will be the premier place to play the new generation of games.”

Pretty predictable PR answer.

liquidtmd

Banned
Yup, here is one good example I read on shitaku last night.

http://kotaku.com/about-those-xbox-one-vs-ps4-graphics-rumors-1454130634

Jesus Christ that's horrible. The games are better now...but in six months time it probably won't be a problem???

The worst kind of fence sitting. I'm a 360 owner going to PS4 but if I were going for the Xbone, I'm a grown sodding man. I want factual journalism. The idea that they're pussyfooting to THIS degree is problematic to the whole industry. If I were going for an Xbone I'm pretty sure I could take a bit of banter and facts about the true differences between versions.

Its absurd, childish and these writers should be more ashamed than some of the fan-boism that goes on in here

There is no single metric that can accurately predict how games will look and perform

I don't even know what this means

Damn, they couldn't even get it to run at 900p? I mean, this is more than double the resolution we're talking about here. I was expecting either 720p and 900p like BF4 or 900p and 1080p, but this is a huge gap. I hope the X1 at least has a solid 60fps.

FrunkQ

Neo Member
Excellent post.

I'm approaching the XOne like I approached the Wii and will approach the Wii U, wait for a significant price drop, buy it used and then enjoy all those exclusives. :)

Agreed... I have never said I will not be purchasing an XB1, I will just not purchase one just yet.

Launch exclusives are irrelevant. I don't want MS to think I am rewarding them for their duplicitous strategies and backtracking.

MS need to be given a message... a strong one. that I am here to play MY GAMES... not theirs. I think they have got it.

Once they have demonstrated they have genuinely changed strategy; i.e. they are giving me a "games box" not a "Microsoft services box" then I am in. By that time, the XB1 will probably be somewhat cheaper and have a good handful of exclusives.

I would hope most slightly biased gamers like myself think the same. There is "no point in cutting off your nose to spite your face" as the old adage goes.

MS done fucked up. But Sony needs solid competition and the loss of MS would ultimately hurt gamers. I am not anti-XB1... I am anti-behaving-like-a-dick-to-my-customers

wapplew

Holy crap, even misterxmedia is super bummed about this news.
I was expecting the usual insider BS, but nope. It's a KO.

Ya, read that comment, what is this“Insider" and wait till 12 of November thing?
Do we miss something, something "big" might happen in 12 of November?

Ya, read that comment, what is this“Insider" and wait till 12 of November thing?
Do we miss something, something "big" might happen in 12 of November?

Last time he said wait until late September for the volcanic islands hidden dgpu to be revealed after the NDA expired. He's just moving the goalposts again.

cyberheater

Ive not read through the whole title but saw this piece:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2013...p-on-xbox-one-fans-want-to-cancel-pre-orders/

I look forward to comparing sales of this game on both platforms, 360 version will probably be the best selling one, then PS3, then PC, then PS4 and finally Xbox One

Yes it's going to be very interesting and I'm sure if there is enough Xbox One game pre-orders cancelled then MS will find out about it.
They only have themselves to blame. They deliberately gimped the GPU and they will pay for that mistake the whole generation.

Duxxy3

Tesseract

Banned
i dunnos bout y'alls but when i gettings that new cods i ain't studying some spectator sheet no sirs, i walks up to my game clerks and says 'sir, gimme dat call of duties.'. that's kinecting to the box like nothing else you can believe.

~

wapplew

Last time he said wait until late September for the volcanic islands hidden dgpu to be revealed after the NDA expired. He's just moving the goalposts again.

Wow, reading other news title over there, feel like some kind of religious blog.
That "insider" worship is quite crazy.

Holy crap, even misterxmedia is super bummed about this news.
I was expecting the usual insider BS, but nope. It's a KO.

poor fuckin guy, no real meltdown just a somber acknowledgement

"Seems like Microsoft does not care about Xbox One reputatiuon now as 720p CoD really hurts"

Bgamer90

Banned
It is incredible to me that there are some people who don't see a problem with throwing down $500 for a piece of hardware built in 2013 that can't run everything thrown at it in native 1080p.

Blows my mind how people's standards can be so low.

Heh, posts like this is what I was referring to earlier in the thread. There are things coming to the Xbox One that aren't coming to the PS4 in terms of games and features. Just because your standards are different doesn't mean the other peoples standards are "low and/or worse".

How people can be such snobs about a fun hobby is beyond me.

Top Bottom