• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Would Love to Make Sunset Overdrive 2.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...ove-to-make-sunset-overdrive-2-ign-unfiltered

“When you establish an IP, you now know what the tone is, you know what the character is, you know what the core mechanics are that work. You know what players liked and didn’t like," Price continued, "so, doing a sequel for any game, be it Sunset Overdrive or something else, is an opportunity to deliver something to fans that’s significantly better than the original, and that’s something that I think we [at Insomniac] would love to do someday."

Although there is a lot of love for Sunset Overdrive at Insomniac, that alone isn't enough to ensure a sequel. “For us, it’s a timing challenge. It’s a bandwidth challenge," Price said, "but, I do, to your point, feel like there are a lot of people out there who love Sunset, and we’ve certainly been asked, frequently, by fans.”

Price previously stated that, if a sequel were to be made, Insomniac would need a partner, which could create an opportunity for it to come to multiple platforms. He also confirmed that any sequel would be "a very large-scope game." Many fans are eager for another zany open-world shooter, and last year Price said those wondering why a sequel is not currently in the works should "ask Microsoft."

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I was not a fan of Sunset, personally. While it had some interesting ideas, it was steeped in that hipster-styled world and its characters/designs were not things I enjoyed looking at. The gunplay and movement also felt very lackluster. If they do a major overhaul of its designs, I may be in for a sequel - but please leave that Californian Hipster stuff out.

Halo0629

Would be cool if they release it on ps4 or atleast on steam. I would definitely buy it day one but I'm not buying a xone just for it since there's really no point for me having a xone and a gaming pc at the same time.

xviper

Sunset is Xbox's best new AAA IP in like 10 years

it's way better, more fun and varied than Spider-man, if it was a ps4 exclusive things would have been different, same thing with Titanfall 1, it went from "overhyped and a disappointment" to a "underrated and a masterpiece" even though most people who ACTUALLY played Titanfall 1 agree that it's a million times better than the sequel, and no i'm not talking about Campaign

I was never blown away by it like some other people, partly due to the fact that I had played through 3 Infamous games at that point in time so it felt kind of 'been there, done that'. Hell, even Spider-Man takes heavy inspiration from Infamous 2 in particular (and a whole lot of Arkham, obviously).

But yeah, the game was fine. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel but I'd rather have Spider-Man 2.

Alx

I loved the visual style and the humor, but was a bit disappointed by the traversal mechanics, and they're meant to be at the root of the gameplay. All the moves are great on paper, except that they lack some punch. It really doesn't help that many games at the time were trying the wallrunning/grinding/freerunning recipes, and some like Titanfall put the bar very high.
A second episode improving on that in priority could turn out really great. Especially since the "silly and colorful" style is so hot right now with Fortnite.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
It isn't any better to play.

Porting SO to PS4, is this some kind of revenge fantasy for NMS being ported to XBox ?

I am THIS close to petition for a port of "Life of Black Tiger" to XBox. This close ->''<-
Don't push me.

(calm down people, it is a joke)

Last edited:

Akuza89

I quite enjoyed it for a while, but then it became boring and repetitive...

So I'd be happy with a 2 but just make it better I guess?

Pallas

Enjoyed it and would love for a sequel to happen. The humor and vibrant colors were a nice change compare to what was on the market at the time.

Humdinger

I think Insomniac has said this multiple times already. What else are they going to say? Sure they'd love to do a sequel. Trouble is, the first game didn't sell all that well. It probably makes more sense for them to focus on Spider-Man and R&C.

I was not a fan of Sunset, personally. While it had some interesting ideas, it was steeped in that hipster-styled world and its characters/designs were not things I enjoyed looking at.

Same here. I just didn't like the aesthetic and the character design. In addition to what you're calling the "California hipster" vibe, I was also bothered by what seemed like a frantic, almost ADHD design style. I'm like the opposite of ADHD, so that stuff bugs me. I admit I only played the first hour or two, and I've heard the game gets better after that.

thelastword

Banned
Sony could buy the IP or Insomniac themselves.
I don't think that's necessary. They can keep this multiplatform as I don't think there's much pull for it on a single platform......unless they really up the ante in the sequel. I wish SO was more JSRF on steroids tbh, but it was not.....Still, since Insomniac owns the IP, perhaps they could do a "Sunset Overdrive Maximum Grind" version and put that on PC/PS4 to usher persons into a sequel.....

desertdroog

I really enjoyed Sunset Overdrive. One of the best parts was keying up the soundtrack based on how much action you were engaging. I would like to see a 2.0 and really dig the new Spiderman game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
weebay-nah-gif.gif

clyd

Neo Member
Sunset Overdrive was the closest thing we got to a modern Jet Set Radio Future and for that I will always love it.

SALMORE

i finished it last month , and I didn't like anything that the game offered 😑 its the second worst Insomniac game after Fuse

WaterAstro

I'd rather have Spidey 2.

Sunset Overdrive was so pretentious with its memes and self-aware humour that was always so cringe.

They own the IP meaning it could be multiplatform and come to PC. I'm not interesting in console exclusives.

Absolutely not. Sunset Overdrive is produced by Microsoft, so it's Microsoft who gets to decide wether to bring it to Windows 10.

Spider-Man is a Sony owned licence, so it's always going to be Playstation exclusive too.

Wow i didnt realize so many people disliked sunset overdrive lol. Haters are out in force. I loved the game and SO's release was when i finally decided to get an xbox one - that sexy white console. Great game and would love a sequel. It sounds like a lot of people who didnt enjoy it expected it to be serious or something. Its a kick back and relax style game with a lot to do.

Forced myself to finish it, the humor and attitude of the characters just didn't jive with me.

The only games that had humor in them that 'jived' for me were the OG Sierra On-Line Space Quest, King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Quest for Glory. Nothing since then comes even close.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I was not a fan of Sunset, personally. While it had some interesting ideas, it was steeped in that hipster-styled world and its characters/designs were not things I enjoyed looking at. The gunplay and movement also felt very lackluster. If they do a major overhaul of its designs, I may be in for a sequel - but please leave that Californian Hipster stuff out.

The complete opposite for me. The movement and gunplay in the game were some of the best this generation. I remember the traversal being extremely satisfying and it was fun just to navigate around the city. The various different guns all served a unique purpose and it felt great to bounce and grind around the environment while switching between the various different weapons to defeat different foes.

Sunset Overdrive is one of my favourite gaming memories from this generation and I'd love to finally see a sequel.

Absolutely not. Sunset Overdrive is produced by Microsoft, so it's Microsoft who gets to decide wether to bring it to Windows 10.

Spider-Man is a Sony owned licence, so it's always going to be Playstation exclusive too.
I'm not talking Sunset Overdrive 1. It's Titanfall all over again. Insomniac owns the IP. They could make a sequel and put it on every platform if they wanted to.

I'm not talking Sunset Overdrive 1. It's Titanfall all over again. Insomniac owns the IP. They could make a sequel and put it on every platform if they wanted to.

It's Titanfall all over again indeed: if people don't get to play the first one, there is no point for them to make a second one that has no franchise attraction. My point is, I'd love it if Sunset Overdrive was released on PC like they did for Quantum Break, it's the least Microcrap could have done if they wanted it to sell.

Then, we could see about a sequel.

I love Sunset Overdrive. It is up there for best game of the generation next to Bloodbourne and Horizon: Zero Dawn for me.

I just wish it got the Xbox One X treatment and some more online modes.

CeeJay

Judging from the comments here it's clear that SO is very divisive, people either love or hate it.

Personally I loved it, best new IP this gen for me. I can fully understand though why the in-your-face kitsch humour would put a lot of people off.

The first one was an absolute blast to play.
Probably one of the funniest game I've played recently also thanks to its movement system. I would totally dig a second one.

Top Bottom