• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Would Love to Make Sunset Overdrive 2.

Elcid

Banned
Yeah I had 3 games on my x1. Gears of War, Sunset OD, and MCC. I found Sunset OD super repetitive and I didn't like the whole grinding crap. I couldn't just run and gun it was always "GRIND MORE". I got bored.
Boring are you sure you played Sunset Overdrive?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
This never did get an X patch did it? Or did it? I can’t remember now, other than thinking it was gorgeous and deserved one.

I sort of enjoyed it, but it had no staying power for me. It was essentially one of those games where if you play for 30 mins you’ve seen everything it has to give.

DanielsM

Banned
I think Spider-Man is a very high quality open world I want to sometimes fall asleep to while playing... snozefest. (SSOD looks similar)

What about Resistance? or new IP?

Larxia

Man, if that's the closest we can get then I'll take nothing. Jet Set Radio is about a million times cooler than Sunset Overdrive.
Yeah I don't really get the comparison. I guess because of the colorful world and grind mechanic? But it's still extremely different.
I liked Jet Set Radio and I've been interested in Sunset Overdrive but... the fact that there are always monsters everywhere really turned me off and I never got the game because of that.
It might sounds dumb, people will tell me it's a game where you're supposed to shoot at stuff so it's normal that there are monsters, but I like the art style so much, I would love to be able to just free roam in this colorful world in a "non infected" mode, with people, living city, no monsters, just cool and relaxing free roam.

But it's not that, it's more of a more crazy / faster paced colorful dead rising, which make it totally different than what Jet Set Radio can be.

Also, the closest thing to a modern jet set radio we got is actually this, and it's really good :

Lots of blind hate in here, people who are trying their best not to admit the only reason they trashed it then and now is because it was an xbox exclusive game. Sunset Overdrive was an amazing game.

JayK47

I tried it on game pass, and it just tries too hard to be cool. I lost interest after a few hours.

SO is an amazing game at 60 fps on PC. The Xbox version was ok. Not the best fit for the gameplay.
I heard the Ultrawide support was essentially garbage and just didn't live up to what it should offer on PC. Loved it on the Xbone, had planned on getting it on PC when they released it but as far as I know they never fixed the issues.

Love the Neogaf shoutout too at the end of the game.

Dante83

Banned
Sunset overdrive was that one game that I enjoyed playing as an Xbox exclusive a couple of years back and I even thought that playstation was missing out on this game. It was very well done and fun to play. A sequel would be nice.

We need more arcadey, fun for fun sake videogames. So Im all for it, Insomniac.

Sunset Overdrive feels like a game that could have been right at home on the Dreamcast.

No better praise can be given.

GC_DALBEN

I loved SO, one of the best games of the generation, really fun to play (after you get the air dash) and beautifull, i hope they make the sequel :) .

Vawn

Banned
I'd love a sequel. Bring it to PC and whatever deal Insomniac makes this time console.

You know Insomniac is a Sony first-party studio now, right? Sony owns the Sunset Overdrive IP too.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Gameplay looked fun; everything else appeared to be hot garbage. The writing, humor, character designs all screamed hipster trash.

Yeah, it feels like a cheap inFamous knock-off to me.

These guys are much better suited on making Spider-Man sequels.

HE1NZ

Banned
Yeah, it feels like a cheap inFamous knock-off to me.

These guys are much better suited on making Spider-Man sequels.
Game felt a lot like Saints Row 3 and 4 which I like. It was a little ridiculous, but flashy and entertaining.

Gameplay looked fun; everything else appeared to be hot garbage. The writing, humor, character designs all screamed hipster trash.

Key word here is looked. It looked much better than it actually played...which is the only reason why people still talk about this game.

Mechanically, it was a fairly pedestrian open world that had a unique artstyle. That's about it.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Game felt a lot like Saints Row 3 and 4 which I like. It was a little ridiculous, but flashy and entertaining.

I don't see the comparison to SR 3 (didn't play 4).

I liked the art style of the game but when it was free for 24 hours, i just couldn't get into it at all.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SO2 gets you nowhere, Spider-Man 2, 3, 4, etc. and you can get millions in minutes I appreciate the ambition though.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
PS5 & PC combo then :messenger_horns:

Yeah because they did that with ONE game (maybe two with Dreams, but that's not really a traditional game). And they did it years after the game was already selling as a classic for $19.99.

Vawn

Banned
SO2 gets you nowhere, Spider-Man 2, 3, 4, etc. and you can get millions in minutes I appreciate the ambition though.

Well, this is an old thread. They wanted to do it before because it was a property they owned themselves, unlike Spider-Man, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, etc.

Now, you're right. There is no logical reason to ever see Sunset Overdrive again.

I played Sunset Overdrive on my old OG One, when I still had a One, and thought it was OKAY, fizzled out after a few hours

Then it came to PC game pass and I completed it. Fun game. Great style.

Would love a bigger, better sequel

Not a fan of when developers resort to "whacky" themes

Yeah, the demand for spider man sequels is orders of magnitude greater. There's also potential for spin offs with all the shit in the extended spiderman universe.

sublimit

Banned
giphy.gif

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
SO has my vote as the most overrated game of this generation its not even bad just extremely dull

Top Bottom