• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Would Love to Make Sunset Overdrive 2.

HE1NZ

Banned
I don't see the comparison to SR 3 (didn't play 4).

I liked the art style of the game but when it was free for 24 hours, i just couldn't get into it at all.
It takes some time to get used to grinding mechanics. But once you figure it out (and acquire some upgrades) you'll be racing all over the city very fast. Traversing is very fun that way. It reminds me of SR because it's a superhero game basically, has tons of customization and a wacky tone. Very underrated.

Jaxcellent

Ah, looks like they will be releasing a ps4 version, pretty smart, alot of people have not played this one yet, so it's an easy win.

I doubt a port like this cost alot of time or recources.. I see this as a fun extra addition to the PS family.
For what its worth, I really liked the game on Xbone, it's a quality release, the weapons are pretty cool and fun, this combined with a Jet set radio vibe..

I sold my Xbone version a long time ago, yesterday I saw it in the bargain bin at my local games store for 4 euro, I might pick it up again...

kiphalfton

Porting SO to PS4, is this some kind of revenge fantasy for NMS being ported to XBox ?

I am THIS close to petition for a port of "Life of Black Tiger" to XBox. This close ->''<-
Don't push me.

(calm down people, it is a joke)

You may be joking, but when did a video game petition make any difference?

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Hopefully it gets a sequel and they release the original on PS4 so more than 22 people can enjoy it. It flopped so hard on Xbox which is depressing since it’s an awesome game and Insomniac is a great studio.

There isn't going to be a sequel, Insomniac ran from Sony so they couldn't have it, if there's a Sequel Sony is going to want the Ip for themselves exclusively and it won't be on Xbox.

EDMIX

There isn't going to be a sequel

You don't know that...

Insomniac ran from Sony so they couldn't have it, if there's a Sequel Sony is going to want the Ip for themselves

Yea...they "ran" annnnnnnd Sony now owns them and the IP, so Sony wants the IP and now owns the IP, I don't know how Sony is "going to want" something they already own lol

You are on here quite a bit, did you seriously not know that Sony bought Insomniac games?

MoreJRPG MoreJRPG Unlikely. I think going forward their developments will be towards PS5. If anything, you'll see the first game ported to PS4.

Last edited:
You don't know that...

Yea...they "ran" annnnnnnd Sony now owns them and the IP, so Sony wants the IP and now owns the IP, I don't know how Sony is "going to want" something they already own lol

You are on here quite a bit, did you seriously not know that Sony bought Insomniac games?

You didn't read a single thing in my post did you?

Insomniac ran because they didn't want sony to have the IP.

Yes Sony has the IP now due to the buyout, what does that have to do with the fact there likely won't be a sequel because Insomniac likely don't want Sony to control the direction of the franchise outside the first game and IT WON'T have a version for Xbox?

EDMIX

Yes Sony has the IP now due to the buyout, what does that have to do with the fact there likely won't be a sequel because Insomniac likely don't want Sony to control the direction of the franchise

smh. Sir...did you even read what YOU posted?

Sony owns the IP because they BOUGHT THE STUDIO! Sony now OWNS INSOMNIAC GAMES! That wasn't a merger, that wasn't a equal partnership and Insomniac didn't BUY Sony... Thus, what the team wants is completely irrelevant. They agreed to sell their IPs and be owned by Sony, that means what they want is likely aligned with Sony in the first place.

I mean, for god sakes..you are saying Sony has the IP, but hey the team that just sold the IP and themselves won't make a sequel to a IP they no longer own, to a company that now owns them?

Does that remotely make sense to you? Sooooooooo if they didn't want Sony to control the series (not even sure what that means exactly considering Sony would just allow them to make the sequel how they feel just...) they wouldn't have sold themselves and their IPs to Sony. What you are stating doesn't even remotely make any logical or rational sense. I see a sequel happening if Insomniac wants it btw.

But....if Sony wants it, its going to happen. They own the team and IP to do so. Its why I thought your statement sounded so strange considering the facts of this matter.

smh. Sir...did you even read what YOU posted?

Sony owns the IP because they BOUGHT THE STUDIO!

Which is what I said. You aren't comprehending simple posts.

Again, what does that have to do with the fact there likely won't be a sequel because Insomniac likely don't want Sony to control the direction of the franchise outside the first game and if it were made, IT WOULD NOT have a version for Xbox?

It is much more logical to assume insomniac accepted the buyout with a cache, then to assume a PS5 exclusive SO2.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
You don't know that...

MoreJRPG MoreJRPG Unlikely. I think going forward their developments will be towards PS5. If anything, you'll see the first game ported to PS4.
Yeah PS4 I was referencing the original. Obviously the sequel would be PS5.

JordanN

Banned
Again, what does that have to do with the fact there likely won't be a sequel because Insomniac likely don't want Sony to control the direction of the franchise outside the first game and if it were made, IT WOULD NOT have a version for Xbox?
Why does Insomniac care about Xbox when they're owned by Sony?
Sony buying the studio means they can do whatever they want. Even without their implicit approval.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Again, what does that have to do with the fact there likely won't be a sequel because Insomniac likely don't want Sony to control

What does Sony buying and owning the team and IP, have to do with them controlling the very IP and team they bought? oh wow....

It is much more logical to assume insomniac accepted the buyout with a cache, then to assume a PS5 exclusive SO2.

yea I don't think that cache was them having a team tell them what to do with an IP Sony owns. It makes little sense. It would be like me saying I'm selling you my car, but under the conditions that I own and control my car.... I'm not sure you fully understand this studio and its IPs where Sold to Sony......as in....Sony owns them, as in controls em. If any cache was even done, it was likely for Spiderman 2 and it was likely Sony telling THEM they'd only buy them out with the understanding that Spiderman 2 and 3 etc would take priority going forward or something, but to argue that Sony has no control over something they bought as part of some deal makes next to no sense.

Sony to my understanding doesn't even get in the way of most studios anyway. GG went from Killzone a FPS to a 3rd person RPG sci fi game. Naughty Dog went from Jak series to Uncharted to The Last Of Us, Media Molecule went from Little Big Planet to Dreams, Suckerpunch went from Sly to InFamous to Ghost Of Tsushima sooooo Sony doesn't really have a history if trying to stop a team from making something new that they want in a way that they want to even argue that Insomniac needed to make some strange clause like that. At least make your theory make some sense man.

I want you to read this.

That is how Sony's teams are able to create IP how they feel just. Its pretty open if you ask me. It might even be why Insomniac was open to a Sony buy out in the first place.

Why does Insomniac care about Xbox when they're owned by Sony?
Sony buying the studio means they can do whatever they want. Even without their implicit approval.

Doesn't mean it's going to happen, it's illogical. You and EDMIX are making pointless assumptions that Sonys has never done with buyouts before of established franchises/series. There will be no sequel.

Also no EDMIX I am not reading that. Stop making things more complicated than they actually are.

EDMIX

Doesn't mean it's going to happen, it's illogical. You and EDMIX are making pointless assumptions that Sonys has never done with buyouts before of established franchises/series. There will be no sequel.

Also no EDMIX I am not reading that. Stop making things more complicated than they actually are.

You decided not to read and then proceed to state what is and isn't illogical. Thats on you.

Its not a pointless assumption to assume a company that bought a team and owns their IPs will use them how they feel just. To be fair, that is the default given assumption. Thats like saying MS just bought Obsidian but won't use their IPs. It makes no sense and its up to you to even prove they won't as the normal assumption is a company buying a team and its IPs, will likely used said IPs. That is a more normal assumption then what you've stated.

Most can't even take your post seriously if you don't even have a real valid point and also decide to not even read post. I'm sorry but a company buying a studios and its IPs is to be naturally assumed that they will be used at the discretion of the company that just bought them. It would be silly to argue that such a thing isn't the norm and is instead "illogical" or "pointless assumption". Could you imagine someone arguing EA just bought Bioware, but hey its "illogical" and a "pointless assumption" to believe they will use those IPs such as Mass Effect to their discretion? It makes so little sense, its up to YOU to even build up any real argument to state otherwise. So no one is arguing that its 100% going to happen, simply that the ode is upon Sony, the company that bought the IP and studio.... That isn't "illogical" or a "pointless assumption" to believe a company that just bought the studio and IP will then have the full 100% authority to use said IP.

You don't help your own argument by not actually having valid points or refusing to read..... I'd say, that makes it even worse as how can anyone take what you post seriously? I don't read, but please believe my strange point that is literally against the norm of what we normally see from buyouts?

You decided not to read and then proceed to state what is and isn't illogical. Thats on you.

Its not a pointless assumption to assume a company that bought a team and owns their IPs will use them how they feel just. To be fair, that is the default given assumption. Thats like saying MS just bought Obsidian but won't use their IPs. It makes no sense and its up to you to even prove they won't as the normal assumption is a company buying a team and its IPs, will likely used said IPs. That is a more normal assumption then what you've stated.

Most can't even take your post seriously if you don't even have a real valid point and also decide to not even read post. I'm sorry but a company buying a studios and its IPs is to be naturally assumed that they will be used at the discretion of the company that just bought them. It would be silly to argue that such a thing isn't the norm and is instead "illogical" or "pointless assumption". Could you imagine someone arguing EA just bought Bioware, but hey its "illogical" and a "pointless assumption" to believe they will use those IPs such as Mass Effect to their discretion? It makes so little sense, its up to YOU to even build up any real argument to state otherwise. So no one is arguing that its 100% going to happen, simply that the ode is upon Sony, the company that bought the IP and studio.... That isn't "illogical" or a "pointless assumption" to believe a company that just bought the studio and IP will then have the full 100% authority to use said IP.

You don't help your own argument by not actually having valid points or refusing to read..... I'd say, that makes it even worse as how can anyone take what you post seriously? I don't read, but please believe my strange point that is literally against the norm of what we normally see from buyouts?

I don't know why Klayzer likes this post when his last post dismantled your argument that Sony would possibly force an exclusive sequel.

it's a pointless assumption that has never been done at Sony, there is not one multiplat game that Sony brought they they put out a sequel only for their systems since the PSX. it doesn't happen. It's likely that Sony will let Insomniac do what they want and not force a sequel like you've been implying. It wouldn't make sense to run from Sony with THAT SPECIFIC IP, and then think that there's suddenly going to be an exclusive sequel, control was probably talked about in the deal before the buyout for Insomniac as a whole.

You never had a valid point it's just nonsense. You haven't posted anything other than random links that deviate from the topic and the point your failing to backup. Even most of your post here is fluff that doesn't add anything, even your EA example is completely opposite of the insomniac situations because they aren't a first-party developers. It's as if you're trying to throw poor defenses at the sealing for this illogical belief and hoping something sticks.

Klayzer

Somebody's going to need a new rotator cuff, after all that reaching. What a silly nonsensical argument he's trying to make, smh.

EDMIX

I don't know why Klayzer likes this post when his last post dismantled your argument that Sony would possibly force an exclusive sequel.

Not really, his point is that Sony gives freedom to create, not that they have no rights to the IP. As in....they have the right to do that cause they own the IP and studio, they simply don't always do that, but that doesn't change the fact that they very much have the legal right to considering it is their IP.

Example. Sony buys Sucker Punch, we get a Sly game not made by Sucker Punch as they were working on InFamous. Thus, Suckerpunch wants to work on a new IP, Sony is ok with that, Sony wants a Sly game, thus has another studio do it. Which clearly means Sony owns the IP, wants a tittle, doesn't force the team to make it, finds another team to do it as even a remaster of Sunset Overdrive is unlikely to be done by Insomniac and likely by some port team. Bluepoint, Other Ocean etc.

it's a pointless assumption that has never been done at Sony

You don't know that at all though.... For all we know, Sony asked a team to make a game cause they wanted to fill a gap in a genre and simply had a team do the title that wanted to do that IP, like stated with Sly 4 not being done by SuckerPunch. Keep in mind, this is even with the assumption that Insomniac DOESN'T want a Sunset Overdrive sequel and Sony does or something.

there is not one multiplat game that Sony brought they they put out a sequel only for their systems since the PSX.

Thats arguing happen-chance though. Sony doesn't often buy teams that have established IPs..... but for this topic, publishers buy teams that own IPs many times and use those IPs...many times. So its very much established that a company buying a studio and its IPs are expect to use said IPs, regardless if they where multiplatform before or not. So you are not arguing something that Sony has a stance on, you are arguing something that Sony hasn't actually bought much teams that are even in that situation to even know WHY it turned out that way to really state its some Stance of Sony's to not do that.

It's likely that Sony will let Insomniac do what they want and not force a sequel like you've been implying

Likely as I'm not debating that, simply that I doubt Insomniac doesn't want to do a sequel.

It wouldn't make sense to run from Sony with THAT SPECIFIC IP, and then think that there's suddenly going to be an exclusive sequel, control was probably talked about in the deal before the buyout for Insomniac as a whole.

Not really bud. Here is where you are assuming big time.

The team didn't want Sony to own the IP thus they went to MS to publish.

Sony buys the team and IP, thus its clear they where ok with them owing the IP, simply not at the price that Sony was originally offering as it begs to question, if they didn't want Sony to have the IP...EVER, why would they then sell the IP to Sony? Sooooo it tells me that deal with MS and Sony not getting the IP prior had more to do with what Sony was offering to publish and buy the IP wasn't enough and they walked, not that in absolution they don't want Sony to own the IP as clearly Sony now owns the studio and that IP...

"control was probably talked about in the deal " Unlikely.

Many people who say this about deals know next to nothing about such business deals. How much money would you give me for my car if part of the deal was I control my car? Sooooo Sony isn't going to buy a team and IP, that of which the team has some deal to suddenly not actually give them rights to an IP they factually and legally own. It makes next to no sense and it brings us RIGHT BACK to the idea that "It's likely that Sony will let Insomniac do what they want"...=)

You can't have that shit both ways...

It can't be this idea that "It's likely that Sony will let Insomniac do what they want" and then "control was probably talked about in the deal" Either Sony lets them do what they want and the team knows it, or they don't....

Its more likely they already know how Sony gives creative freedom, thus they have no issue with selling their team and IP....as that is exactly what was done. I doubt either side would accept or offer some deal thats like "hey you give us money, but you also can't own the IP, you bought, with the money you are giving us" lol

So...how much can I give you for your car, for you not to drive....your car? Likely would be the price of the actual car...thus who is making a deal to own a IP, to not have control of an IP? It sounds massively unlikely, especially against a publisher that lets them "do what they want and not force a sequel".

even your EA example is completely opposite of the insomniac situations because they aren't a first-party developers.

It doesn't need to be a first party developer, the point was that a company bought a studio and its IPs and used those IPs. That is all that is needed to prove that is a normal assumption bud. Stop splitting hairs and nitpicking cause you can't really find examples of it being NORMAL for a company to buy another company and then proceed to never use existing IPs.

My god, at the very least know what is being compared...

Fact remains. A company buying a studio and its IPs, its a normal assumption and very logical that those IPs are then used by the company. First party or not is irrelevant to that point. I don't even know why it suddenly MUST be a first party developer to be valid. You are stating its illogical and a pointless assumption that a company would use IPs they just bought...

When MS bought Rare and then proceeded to ignore a host of those IPs, it wasn't normal, it was literally one of the biggest criticisms regarding them being owned by MS, as to show such a thing isn't normal or expected...

Keep in mind, this entire thing with Insomniac going to MS for Sunset Overdrive 1 likely has more to do with them not liking the number Sony showed them to buy the IP and publish.
Clearly they didn't feel that way when Sony bought them and their IPs. So they didn't say no cause they never want to sell their IPs, they sold it to Sony, it likely means what Sony was offering before was too small for their IP and they wanted a better deal.

Sony gave them a better deal, thus the IP was sold. That literally might be the whole thing vs "control was probably talked about in the deal" from a company that ummmm "let Insomniac do what they want and not force a sequel"

Last edited:
Not really, his point is that Sony gives freedom to create, not that they have no rights to the IP.

I never said this. You are creating responses in your head that were never made.

Example. Sony buys Sucker Punch, we get a Sly game not made by Sucker Punch as they were working on InFamous.

Sly was a PS2 exclusive.

why would they then sell the IP to Sony?

They didn't, they sold the company to Sony.

The issue is simple, you are trying to rationalize and uncommon and unlikely scenario.. It is more likely to believe if there is a sequel it will still be multiplat than to believe Sony is going to release an exclusive SO2, and historical precedent also backs this. Sony originally wanted the IP and then lost interest later on, whether Insomniac wants to do a sequel or not doesn't really mean much, it's more likely than anything if they return to that formula they will staple it onto a new IP instead of making a direct sequel to a game that was only available on Xbox and then abandon that base. It also wouldn't make much financial sense for Sony, and that argument will be solidified once the PS4 version of the first game comes out on the system.

The issue isn't that it's impossible, it just doesn't make sense and is unlikely, but you won't even go for the last part.

EDMIX

I never said this. You are creating responses in your head that were never made.

Sly was a PS2 exclusive.

The issue is simple, you are trying to rationalize and uncommon and unlikely scenario.. It is more likely to believe if there is a sequel it will still be multiplat than to believe Sony is going to release an exclusive SO2, and historical precedent also backs this. Sony originally wanted the IP and then lost interest later on, whether Insomniac wants to do a sequel or not doesn't really mean much, it's more likely than anything if they return to that formula they will staple it onto a new IP instead of making a direct sequel to a game that was only available on Xbox and then abandon that base. It also wouldn't make much financial sense for Sony, and that argument will be solidified once the PS4 version of the first game comes out on the system.

The issue isn't that it's impossible, it just doesn't make sense and is unlikely, but you won't even go for the last part.

Never said you did, if you read the post its stating that was the response of someone else. As in...they are saying Sony gives the freedom to create, they are not debating the ownership of IP or anything like that to argue its against my post or anything like that.

"Sly was a PS2 exclusive."

??? hmmm? And? Who said it wasn't? That doesn't change the point that I made friend. You are seriously going to have to calm down, stop rage posting and just read the post instead of looking for things to fight over.

Sony bought Sucker Punch in 2011
Sly 4 comes out in 2013 on PS3... Sly 4 was made by Sanzaru Games... as in....Sony didn't force Sucker Punch to make it, but clearly got someone to make it as they now own the IP.

Read.

? Huh? smh. Just stop...please.

Sony owns the IP. When you buy the team, you legally own those IPs. Thats like saying you bought McDonalds but don't own the rights to the Big Mac.

So I could either believe Sony and all those source....or you, a person that admittedly doesn't read post and then feels its illogical for a company to use IPs they just bought.

It is more likely to believe if there is a sequel it will still be multiplat than to believe Sony is going to release an exclusive SO2

Yea...thats irrational, baseless and waaaaay too uncommon to seriously argue its more likely. When has Sony ever bought a team and its IPs to release them multiplatform after the fact?

It also wouldn't make much financial sense for Sony

Yes it would. Port the original game, have the team work on a sequel. Sony saves money if anything as they now own a series with an established base that will now buy a PS5 to play something they played on XB...

Sony originally wanted the IP and then lost interest later on,

Nope.

They didn't lose that much interest if they factually own Sunset Overdrive now.....

Never said you did,

Yes you implied it pretty clearly.

The rest of your post is meaningless, they didn't buy Insomniac for Sunset overdrive. It's illogical to believe they are going to make an exclusive sequel only on PS5 unless they let Insomniac release it multiplat. Using all objective and historical evidence you'd have to be a fool to think otherwise. You're just droning on and on looking for an excuse that'll stick to the wall but it won't. We know for a fact, for example, Sony lost interest in the game, which is why they didn't make such a big deal when they ran to Microsoft. The only baseless arguments are yours which ignores all the times this has happened with SONY Specifically and this has never occurred. You are basically arguing about something you know nothing about at this point.

I would suggest doing some research on Sony's buyouts and then realizing your belief is objectionably illogical, thought still not impossible. I also believe if this was some other game you wouldn't be trying to hard to argue so poorly on something even twitter seems to be questioning, but you are not. That takes quite a bit of spin. Calling historical evidence "baseless" is two stops away from the ward.

EDMIX

The rest of your post is meaningless, they didn't buy Insomniac for Sunset overdrive

Never said they did...

Regardless..they own Sunset Overdrive.

It's illogical to believe they are going to make an exclusive sequel only on PS5 unless they let Insomniac release it multiplat.

That is what Sony does....they make exclusives for their systems. Can you even name 1 time Sony bought a studio and its IPs to then release them on other platforms right after?

So its up to you to actually PROVE WITH REAL LINKS AND EXAMPLES, you know...facts, on why its illogical. Saying it, doesn't make it so bud, give a real post with factual links showing why such a thing is more likely, unlikely etc.

Sony lost interest in the game, which is why they didn't make such a big deal when they ran to Microsoft.

Nope. You can't keep arguing this if Sony now owns the IP. It literally directly contradicts your point. They lost interest to the IP they wanted to own and now bought? Sure..

Give a link, give examples and cite your sources.

I gave you information on Sony using IPs after they bought them. Suckerpunch bought in 2011, Sly 4 made by another team in 2013
I gave you information on teams that buy studios that then go on to buy IPs purchased. EA bought Bioware in 2007, proceeded to use the Mass Effect IP.
I gave you information on that Sony FACTUALLY OWNS THE IP, something you strangely enough didn't know.

You how ever have yet to give one example, link, source or anything to back up your argument. You simply want it to be true, yet offering nothing to support it.

With an exchange like this. You should have never been debating without reading post and not reading in general. It hurts your creditably massively. The fact that you didn't know Sony owned the IP means you don't have much place to really be debating much on this topic without knowing all of facts.

EDMIX said:
why would they then sell the IP to Sony?

"They didn't, they sold the company to Sony"

That being said, going to have to add you on that ignore list man. Read post thoroughly and research if you are unsure, no reason to seriously not know Sony owns the IP to the very topic you are talking about. I have no clue how its even remotely normal or rational to assume a company that just bought the rights to something, wouldn't use the thing they just bought the rights to. YOU need to back that up with lots of links, examples, evidence, facts etc.

Last edited:
You keep pretending to be foolish so I'm not going to keep holding your hand here with your strawmans but

I gave you information on Sony using IPs after they bought them. Suckerpunch bought in 2011, Sly 4 made by another team in 2013

You didn't, you gave me games that were already Sony exclusives, I pointed this out in the post you didn't read. Sly was never on another manufacture consoles. You imaginary scenario never happened, there has never been a time when Sony had brought an IP that was on a competing HOME CONSOLE that they kept for themselves. it's never happened. Sly was a PS2 exclusive before the sucker punch by out. Stop.

You also make an equally shit argument with EA, which is a third-party. You aren't able to stay on the subject you keep adding to the argument trying to shift the goal posts. It's not happening, and calling historical evidence "baseless" just shows your ignorance, give up.

The bottom of your post is trash, i already said I know Sony owns So, Sony sis not by Insomniac for SO, that's something you imagined out of your dreams. Stop building strawmen, it's not happening and your argument has been baseless and illogical from the start while ignoring historical evidence and bringing up faux comparisons.

Convicsik

Tried it with game pass, played it for about 30 minutes, uninstalled. It was ok but felt like a game that would have faired better in the PS2 era. It also felt like if the people that made Sunny D and Nerf commercials could make a game with swearing this would be it.

You keep pretending to be foolish so I'm not going to keep holding your hand here with your strawmans but

You didn't, you gave me games that were already Sony exclusives, I pointed this out in the post you didn't read. Sly was never on another manufacture consoles. You imaginary scenario never happened, there has never been a time when Sony had brought an IP that was on a competing HOME CONSOLE that they kept for themselves. it's never happened. Sly was a PS2 exclusive before the sucker punch by out. Stop.

You also make an equally shit argument with EA, which is a third-party. You aren't able to stay on the subject you keep adding to the argument trying to shift the goal posts. It's not happening, and calling historical evidence "baseless" just shows your ignorance, give up.

The bottom of your post is trash, i already said I know Sony owns So, Sony sis not by Insomniac for SO, that's something you imagined out of your dreams. Stop building strawmen, it's not happening and your argument has been baseless and illogical from the start while ignoring historical evidence and bringing up faux comparisons.
You keep appealing to "historical evidence" and yet never actually cite said "historical evidence".

On top of that, you keep deliberately ignoring the fact that Sony themselves have confirmed PlayStation owns the IP now. It is theirs. Insomniac doesn't have the ability to tell them "no, you can't use this IP that you own". Whether that's the reason Sony bought them or not is immaterial; it's their property, and if they think there's interest in or demand for a new SSO game, they can make one at their leisure.

Last edited:
Afro Republican Afro Republican quit embarrassing yourself. Just stop posting.

As a person who has never contributed most of the their time here outside drive-bys this is hilarious.

You guys are wrong, there won't be a sequel unless it's also on Xbox (PC is a given most likely). Sorry, that's just how it's going to happen, bookmark the thread, you ignore historical precedent that's fione.

Also lol Jordan, First good job not reading this line form before:
there is not one multiplat game that Sony brought they they put out a sequel only for their systems since the PSX

And Sony being loose (not just with psygnosis) is why they build a walled garden and started being more control crazy for their properties in the first place. The biggest blow being Crash/Spyro among others

They have never done it again, and they won't do it again, especially now that PS is much more important to Sony than in the mid 90's and I have to remind people again Insomniac ran with SO to Microsoft because Sony wanted the IP. They only have it now due to the buyout, it is very unlikely that Sony is going to decided something they eventually lost interest in themselves is worth forcing their new acquisition to make.

Illogical plain and simple. It's not happening, already some of you were going nuts about the "tease" that ended up being nothing. Always falling for the same ol' gags.

KOMANI

KOMANI

veuc7iD.png

?

EDMIX

Sony owns the Sunset Overdrive IP, they don't own Sunset Overdrive the game; Microsoft does. In order to port the game to PlayStation the publishing rights or permissions would have to be purchased from Microsoft.

They can make a sequel, but they have no control over the first game.

The IP is the game.....

When EA bought Bioware and got the Mass Effect IP, MS publishing meant next to nothing.

A great example of this is when the F.E.A.R developer was making a sequel and they got in a legal dispute with the publisher. The publisher owned the name, yet the team owned the IP. The team was actually ready to release F.E.A.R 2 as simply Project Origins. Same name of characters, story, gameplay, universe etc.

Publishing isn't ownership, the IP is ownership.

Keep in mind, Insomniac actually didn't side with Sony for Sunset Overdrive when it was first being made, what did the cite the reason being? IP OWNERSHIP! NOT Publishing. Sooooooo why would they favor something inferior to something superior?

Soooooo if the IP is so nothing and just worthless, why side with MS when using your logic the publishing is actually the game rights itself?

By that logic, MS owns Tomb Raider too so.....maybe you should see what IP means vs Publishing cause IP is the actual rights to the game, not publishing. Capcom publishes the GTA games in Japan btw...

Better yet, in your own words, what is even the IP and what is its worth if simply publishing means they own a game for life? Also....if it didn't work when EA bought Mass Effect FROM Bioware, why would publishing work now? This is the same situation as EA buying Bioware and taking Mass Effect IP. Sony buys a team and takes those IPs. How is this not the same as that deal? That imho should have taught many of you guys a long time ago that publishing doesn't equal owning an IP. Sony games that are exclusive to their platforms are not simply that based on publishing, its that based on them owning the IP, so I can see how some might think those are needed to own it or something.

Last edited:
The IP is the game.....

When EA bought Bioware and got the Mass Effect IP, MS publishing meant next to nothing.

A great example of this is when the F.E.A.R developer was making a sequel and they got in a legal dispute with the publisher. The publisher owned the name, yet the team owned the IP. The team was actually ready to release F.E.A.R 2 as simply Project Origins. Same name of characters, story, gameplay, universe etc.

Publishing isn't ownership, the IP is ownership.

Keep in mind, Insomniac actually didn't side with Sony for Sunset Overdrive when it was first being made, what did the cite the reason being? IP OWNERSHIP! NOT Publishing. Sooooooo why would they favor something inferior to something superior?

Soooooo if the IP is so nothing and just worthless, why side with MS when using your logic the publishing is actually the game rights itself?

By that logic, MS owns Tomb Raider too so.....maybe you should see what IP means vs Publishing cause IP is the actual rights to the game, not publishing. Capcom publishes the GTA games in Japan btw...

Better yet, in your own words, what is even the IP and what is its worth if simply publishing means they own a game for life? Also....if it didn't work when EA bought Mass Effect FROM Bioware, why would publishing work now? This is the same situation as EA buying Bioware and taking Mass Effect IP. Sony buys a team and takes those IPs. How is this not the same as that deal? That imho should have taught many of you guys a long time ago that publishing doesn't equal owning an IP. Sony games that are exclusive to their platforms are not simply that based on publishing, its that based on them owning the IP, so I can see how some might think those are needed to own it or something.
You don't seem to understand how this all works, owning the intellectual property itself does not equate to having control over a contractual specific instance within that property.

IP ownership and publishing rights are two completely different things. Here's a great example of this in effect. Alan Wake? Microsoft never owned the IP, but they did own the publishing rights which they just recently sold back to Remedy. Now Remedy owns the IP and they have the right to publish which means they could bring the first game to other platforms if they so choose.

Insomniac retained ownership of the Sunset Overdrive IP, that was their agreement with Microsoft, however Microsoft retained control of Sunset Overdrive the game via publishing rights. Insomniac and Sony have no control of what happens with the first game, they have control with where things go beyond it whether that be a sequel or another venture within that universe.

Anything beyond that and they would either need Microsoft's permission or the sale of said publishing rights back for release of the first game on Sony's platform.

Last edited:

Terenty

Spyro and Ratchet and Clank are among the best 3D platformers... fight me.

Haven't played them, but judging by Spider Man they are on the same scale of genericness as Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games, and Santa Monica. These studios are interchangeable in my mind, stock standard AAA gaming

Last edited:
Haven't played them, but judging by Spider Man they are on the same scale of genericness as Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games, and Santa Monica. These studios are interchangeable in my mind, stock standard AAA gaming
What's considered less generic and stock standard? Halo? Zelda? I'd say games like Halo or first party racing games are more generic, in Halo you just shoot things lol.

At least in games like God of War there are more things than just focusing on combat, so I disagree.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Insomniac is a wholly subsidiary of Sony, so unless there is some other contract in place - Sony can in most likelihood do whatever they wish with the IP, at least based on what is public information.

Personally, didn't really care for what the game was/is to start with. I'd imagine after the 1st one not a very high priority for Sony.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Insomniac retained ownership of the Sunset Overdrive IP, that was their agreement with Microsoft, however Microsoft retained control of Sunset Overdrive the game via publishing rights.

Yea extremely unlikely.

They didn't want to go to Sony cause they wanted to keep the IP, oh they wanted to keep the very thing that wasn't important at all, yet give the very MOST IMPORTANT THING ie THE GAME RIGHTS to MS?

Just stop bud, it makes next to no sense.

Their move of not even going with Sony at that time was to keep the IP, thus showing its importance.

If anything, how on earth can you even explain Mass Effect?

EA bought Bioware, thus owned the IP. MS published the game, by that logic, MS owns Mass Effect using your logic, how on earth did that happen? Wouldn't MS simply just have the most godly important thing "publishing rights." ???

Sooooo unless you can even explain that, its pretty clear the IP very much is the rights to the title. Publishing a game doesn't mean you own the IP, unless you now telling me MS owns Ninja Gaiden, Tomb Raider etc

19986-ninja-gaiden-2.png

So looks like we can never see Ninja Gaiden 2 on PS3 as its clear MS published it and that means they own all to it.

e0e7eeb2-94c5-4672-bd2f-e955009749a2_1.7164b8316a46b26f8f1c871f311c7999.jpeg

huh? Wait a minute here.......how can this be? Publishing is the end all be all, yet here we are with a game published BY MICROSOFT on PS3? hmmm thats weird.

So as you see, publishing doesn't mean you own something. How many times does it need to happen for you to understand?

Last edited:
Yea extremely unlikely.

They didn't want to go to Sony cause they wanted to keep the IP, oh they wanted to keep the very thing that wasn't important at all, yet give the very MOST IMPORTANT THING ie THE GAME RIGHTS to MS?

Just stop bud, it makes next to no sense.

Their move of not even going with Sony at that time was to keep the IP, thus showing its importance.

If anything, how on earth can you even explain Mass Effect?

EA bought Bioware, thus owned the IP. MS published the game, by that logic, MS owns Mass Effect using your logic, how on earth did that happen? Wouldn't MS simply just have the most godly important thing "publishing rights." ???

Sooooo unless you can even explain that, its pretty clear the IP very much is the rights to the title. Publishing a game doesn't mean you own the IP, unless you now telling me MS owns Ninja Gaiden, Tomb Raider etc

19986-ninja-gaiden-2.png

So looks like we can never see Ninja Gaiden 2 on PS3 as its clear MS published it and that means they own all to it.

e0e7eeb2-94c5-4672-bd2f-e955009749a2_1.7164b8316a46b26f8f1c871f311c7999.jpeg

huh? Wait a minute here.......how can this be? Publishing is the end all be all, yet here we are with a game published BY MICROSOFT on PS3? hmmm thats weird.

So as you see, publishing doesn't mean you own something. How many times does it need to happen for you to understand?
It makes perfect sense, but you're either legitimately slow or are intentionally being obtuse.

Publishing something doesn't mean you own it, publishing something doesn't mean you hold rights. Publishing can simply be a matter of localized or platform based distribution, it can be a form of funding, it can be a form of timed or permanent contractual rights. It has no domain over the direction or ownership of an intellectual property but merely has control of how and where it is distributed.

You just don't seem to understand or don't want to, I'm not sure which but I feel like I'm talking to a child right now. Microsoft funded Sunset Overdrive, they paid for it and its development in whole, they didn't do that for not. Microsoft didn't spear head Ninja Gaiden, they didn't fund Mass Effect, those were never projects under their tenure, they were merely timed publishing agreements for an eventual multi-platform roadmap ala Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Like Alan Wake; Sunset Overdrive as an IP is retained by the creator, AW was retained by Remedy, SO is retained by Insomniac, but they respectively have no rights to publish. Microsoft held on to the publishing rights to Alan Wake for 9 years, at the end of last year Microsoft sold those rights to Remedy so they could self-publish or through 505 Games release their Alan Wake DLC for Control. If Microsoft refused this deal that wouldn't have been a possibility, so while Remedy has creative control to develop their IP they have no rights to release anything for it.

Sunset Overdrive is in no different of a situation, Microsoft is in control of publishing. Microsoft can either sell them these rights, they can publish for them, or they can grant them permission to self-publish or secure a secondary publisher for release. With that said though the buck stops with them, holding these rights puts them in an advantageous position because they can dictate releases. It has come to my attention that they can even fully stall sequels or DLC, it's a blanket publishing agreement spanning the IP. While this gives them no control of the IP itself it gives them control of publishing dictation.

So if Insomniac want to release a Sunset Overdrive 2, and they want it to say be on the PlayStation 5 only... Microsoft can flat out say no, they can pump the brakes on the entire project, they can tell both Insomniac and Sony that they only way they will grant this release is if it comes to both platforms. That is why publishing control and rights are so important, you have no creative control of the IP but you control how, and when, and where a game or content can release.

This conversation is over buddy, you're completely clueless.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Publishing something doesn't mean you own it, publishing something doesn't mean you hold rights. Publishing can simply be a matter of localized or platform based distribution, it can be a form of funding, it can be a form of timed or permanent contractual rights. It has no domain over the direction or ownership of an intellectual property but merely has control of how and where it is distributed.

Agreed. Where did I state otherwise? smh. Thats probably why its important that Sony owns the IP to Sunset Overdrive now, cause publishing something doesn't mean you own it. I'm not reading the rest of your rant man, you leaped to argue when the point you are making, I'm making too.... So yes...publishing doesn't mean you own it or hold the rights etc. I mean...thanks, thats my point, as to the insults...I'm not even sure whats got you upset when I'm legit making the point you are saying in that quote.

Added to that ignore list.

Agreed. Where did I state otherwise? smh. Thats probably why its important that Sony owns the IP to Sunset Overdrive now, cause publishing something doesn't mean you own it. I'm not reading the rest of your rant man, you leaped to argue when the point you are making, I'm making too.... So yes...publishing doesn't mean you own it or hold the rights etc. I mean...thanks, thats my point, as to the insults...I'm not even sure whats got you upset when I'm legit making the point you are saying in that quote.

Added to that ignore list.
Of course you're not going to read it, you're wrong, cherry picking and are getting blown out. You don't possess the necessary knowledge or information to maintain this conversation.

P.S. I don't care.

You don't seem to understand how this all works, owning the intellectual property itself does not equate to having control over a contractual specific instance within that property.

IP ownership and publishing rights are two completely different things. Here's a great example of this in effect. Alan Wake? Microsoft never owned the IP, but they did own the publishing rights which they just recently sold back to Remedy. Now Remedy owns the IP and they have the right to publish which means they could bring the first game to other platforms if they so choose.

Insomniac retained ownership of the Sunset Overdrive IP, that was their agreement with Microsoft, however Microsoft retained control of Sunset Overdrive the game via publishing rights. Insomniac and Sony have no control of what happens with the first game, they have control with where things go beyond it whether that be a sequel or another venture within that universe.

Anything beyond that and they would either need Microsoft's permission or the sale of said publishing rights back for release of the first game on Sony's platform.
Where do you get your information from? Rise of the Tomb Raider was published by Microsoft on Xbox One, therefore Microsoft owns Tomb Raider!

Insomniac owned the IP, Sony bought them and now Sony owns the IP (objectively speaking) and can do a sequel alongside whatever side projects they have going on. The first game was partially funded and published by Microsoft, yes, but that doesn't matter because they don't own the IP and they likely signed a contract for limited exclusivity.

Sony could probably void/break the contract if they wanted it so badly.

Last edited:
Where do you get your information from? Rise of the Tomb Raider was published by Microsoft on Xbox One, therefore Microsoft owns Tomb Raider!

Insomniac owned the IP, Sony bought them and now Sony owns the IP (objectively speaking) and can do a sequel alongside whatever side projects they have going on. The first game was partially funded and published by Microsoft, yes, but that doesn't matter because they don't own the IP and they likely signed a contract for limited exclusivity.

Sony could probably void/break the contract if they wanted it so badly.
You're being just as obtuse and illiterate as Chexmix.

It makes perfect sense, but you're either legitimately slow or are intentionally being obtuse.

You just don't seem to understand or don't want to, I'm not sure which but I feel like I'm talking to a child right now. Microsoft funded Sunset Overdrive, they paid for it and its development in whole, they didn't do that for not. Microsoft didn't spear head Ninja Gaiden, they didn't fund Mass Effect, those were never projects under their tenure, they were merely timed publishing agreements for an eventual multi-platform roadmap ala Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Like Alan Wake; Sunset Overdrive as an IP is retained by the creator, AW was retained by Remedy, SO is retained by Insomniac, but they respectively have no rights to publish. Microsoft held on to the publishing rights to Alan Wake for 9 years, at the end of last year Microsoft sold those rights to Remedy so they could self-publish or through 505 Games release their Alan Wake DLC for Control. If Microsoft refused this deal that wouldn't have been a possibility, so while Remedy has creative control to develop their IP they have no rights to release anything for it.

Sunset Overdrive is in no different of a situation, Microsoft is in control of publishing. Microsoft can either sell them these rights, they can publish for them, or they can grant them permission to self-publish or secure a secondary publisher for release. With that said though the buck stops with them, holding these rights puts them in an advantageous position because they can dictate releases. It has come to my attention that they can even fully stall sequels or DLC, it's a blanket publishing agreement spanning the IP. While this gives them no control of the IP itself it gives them control of publishing dictation.

So if Insomniac want to release a Sunset Overdrive 2, and they want it to say be on the PlayStation 5 only... Microsoft can flat out say no, they can pump the brakes on the entire project, they can tell both Insomniac and Sony that they only way they will grant this release is if it comes to both platforms. That is why publishing control and rights are so important, you have no creative control of the IP but you control how, and when, and where a game or content can release.

This conversation is over buddy, you're completely clueless.

You're being just as obtuse and illiterate as Chexmix.
Don't try and clap back if you have nothing to say. We get it, you're salty, and a hypocrite acting iLliTeRaTe AnD oBtUsE so calm down and quit being pompous over an argument you lost after the first post because you're absolutely clueless.

You're also objectively wrong so own up to it. What are you trying to "argue", anyway, that Sony can't port the game on PS4? Because they can, and putting up your quote I already read won't help your case, fact is that many games have been published by Microsoft and then ported over to other consoles, because publishing rights aren't the end all be all. Sony owns the entire franchise and can tell Microsoft to stuff it if they tried to go after them.

It was Insomniac's choice: https://www.psu.com/news/is-sunset-overdrive-coming-to-ps4/

Last edited:
Top Bottom