• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 4K the best way to use the power of Scorpio and PS4K? Digital Foundry unconvinced

SerTapTap

This is so obvious it's painful and scary that Sony and Microsoft don't seem to realize it. I really hope they don't let a marketing bullet point undermine the actual performance of a sub-generation of games.

gatti-man

Haven't Sony stated that their new machine won't be enough for 4k gaming?
Anyway I seriously doubt we'll see any of that. At least I seriously doubt it.
Same goes for Microsoft's Scorpio. If anyone will come out with a 4k game it will have to Microsoft themselves. That isn't cheap ya know. That isn't easy. It'll take time.

Also I'm not sure I want the industry to even try, yet. I have already come to terms that the AAA bullshit is here to stay, killing of smaller B-A production games. I don't want to kill that segment completely.

Did you know any game that releases on PC is a 4K game? 4K is just as easy as any other resolution it's just hardware dependent. Hitting 4K for Scorpio will be a breeze.

I'd prefer 1440P with improvements though. That would pay dividends to everyone, even people without 4K Tvs and still be a tremendous resolution bump over 1080p.

Leyasu

Banned
Really hope Microsoft can show 4k@60fps with forza 7 and halo 6 next year.

I don't want another halo 5 situation where they have to make lots of sacrifices to hit 60fps. I would prefer an amazing looking 1080/60 for halo. Forza on the other hand...

MANGOD

Banned
Something I've just thought and sorry if this is a dumb question Im not to tech savvy on resolutions.
Lets just take an xbox one as example. Display output at 1080 on a tv. We've had some funky resolutions like 792pee (titanfall) 900pee(sunset) etc. Is it a possibility with a scorpio hooked up to a 4k tv to have something like 1440pee used and then upscaled to 4k by the tv if you get my drift? Or anything in between 1080-4k for that matter 1440 just seemed the obvious choice.

I'm a PC gamer rocking a 1080p screen, but their assumption that I'm not interested in 4K is flat out wrong.

The problem is, I'd have to pay £400ish for a good 4K monitor, another £400 for a graphics card that could push out at 4K resolution, and even that a lot of games would struggle.

I'm being patient and waiting for the hardware to be there to handle 4K easily, then I'll jump in.

EvB

I'm pretty sure even a console can do 4k 60fps, some developer will still do something like make native res higher or add some pointless effect to make it only able to do 30fps, because there are developers that think their game doesn't need 60fps.

Like the new Spiderman game?

jelly

I need to hear AAA Developers say "we're gonna be developing games for a optimal 1080p 60fps experiance" before i buy Scorpio, If its going to be 4k sub60 drops for the majority then i'm afraid i'm out! 60 fps is key for me!

More or less my feelings and I'n afraid Microsoft 1st party will be first up to waste power on 4K like Halo 6 which would be very disappointing.

Kolgar

Yup, I am concerned the next machines' grunt will be squandered trying to chase acceptable frame rates on 4K displays.

I would MUCH rather see the effects cranked to 11 at 1080p.

See MS comments regarding Scorpio. 4K is good but if devs want to do something else with the extra power then it's good.

I'm all in for 1080p / 60 fps and very impressive games from start (physics, draw distance, number of npc...) with Scorpio and then 4K when devs will be more comfortable with the hw.

Maybe... maybe the gen made for graphics will not be only about this and will help gamers realize a game is more than that (so much more). It's not that looking at graphics is bad, but taking this criteria as the most important one is stupid imo.

Good guy DF, you know better :)

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a PC gamer rocking a 1080p screen, but their assumption that I'm not interested in 4K is flat out wrong.

The problem is, I'd have to pay £400ish for a good 4K monitor, another £400 for a graphics card that could push out at 4K resolution, and even that a lot of games would struggle.

I'm being patient and waiting for the hardware to be there to handle 4K easily, then I'll jump in.

Same for me. I have a 980Ti and a 1080p monitor. I just want to max out all settings, install some graphic mods and get rock solid 60FPS. Depending on the game I can even go for 1440p (downsampling) and maintain 60FPS

4K for the Scorpio is just some marketing gibberish imo. You could achieve it, sure, but at what price? 30FPS with low-medium settings?

Stuff is so hit or miss even at 1080p right now, expecting 4k to be different is stupid, I'd rather a locked in 1080p never stray 30-60fps game dependent frame rate with the added eye candy.

All the shit about HDR is a farce right now since the standard is so vague for new 4k sets that even though you might have a top of the line TV it might not even be a thing regulated for a few years and in it's current form you can't see the screen effectively without being in a VERY dim room since the screens boost maximum brightness to spread the dynamic range so there is no way to further compensate for a bright room like the old non-4k standard could.

It's exactly like using a high end color calibrated PC monitor, (Adobe RGB and Photopro say hi) you have to use it in a dim setting to properly see the entire range.

So any performance gain we had at the moment is being shit away by trying to push 4 times the data. We all know what type of PC you need to get proper frame rates at 4k and the costs involved, but instead we are going to expect consoles where Dev's can't handle 1080 games to somehow have better? graphics at 4k while still sitting at a decent frame rate.

I meant I know they want to sell more 4k TV sets but come on... I laugh even thinking of trying stream 4k content on our lame ass Canadian Internet, we have a long fucking way to go before 4k is the norm, our HD TV is a 720p/1080i compressed shit show as it is.

vio

Just use the power for 60fps, or 30fps with things like increased grass and shadow distance, better AA etc. Whatever is possible.

SpeedNut

8K is already being shown at CES and the like, which makes the case for 4K even harder as it is inevitably a transitional technology. If they can get the display costs to accelerate further down on cost faster than what it has it may be enough for some traction and these consoles, but it's much harder to push display purchases than what Sony did with cementing blu-ray with the PS3.

How close to the TV would I need to be to notice a difference between 1080 and 4k?

Depends on the size of the TV. Generally though most 4K TV's are quite large so I would say anything less than 10 feet will show a clear difference, with ~6 feet being the sweet spot for full benefit.

4K doesn't really provide the wow factor like the switch from SD to HD did. Except for the OLED TV's, now they are something special!

How close to the TV would I need to be to notice a difference between 1080 and 4k?

4 times closer or have a screen 4 times larger. The biggest difference is HDR giving a better graduation of darks to lights but in it's current form you need to be in a very dim setting to even see the end results, if the set truly uses it since the TV standards are all over the place at the moment with every company tossing out catch phrase tech of different results.

LCGeek

formerly sane
PC gamers will gladly go to 4k whenever the majority of the monitors are closer to the $250-300 range, and the required cards for them are likewise in that midrange price point.

Have better feature support.
Support low input lag, grey to grey pixel timing needs to be much lower, and very low pixel persistence.

Not just a price thing.

Traxtech

60 fps 1080 with proper aa and af filtering is what they need to aim for and then look into down sampling if it does prove to be an animal of a console. None of this 4k stuff, but that's just imo

LCGeek

formerly sane
Nope it consumes a ton of raw power in games killing asset quality or the chance to really upgrade them for next gen. Not a fan of FPS peak and consistency going back down to last decade levels at the beginning.

It's all Marketing, I would wager most 3rd party are going to add bells and whistles to 1080/60

Depends. Unless there's a certain install base they can sell their game to, it may be much, MUCH easier for them to let them dev tools bump up resolution to 4k and call it a day, as adding those bells and whistles is much more elaborate. Then again, Scorpio could profit from PS4 Neo games which basically forces devs to add those anyway, as a 4k bump is out of the question.

Cartho

I would focus on making mind blowing games that run at 1080p 60 than wasting time trying to hit 4k for the small group of people who own 4k TVs.

4k TV ownership is going to rise but not for a while. For the NON ENTHUSIAST market, they are too big and too expensive. When people can walk into supermarkets and buy perfectly good quality 40" 1080p Sony Bravia TVs for £250, 4k has a long way to go to convince people that it's really worth it. Not everyone has the space or even the desire to have an 84" screen.

For a proper, HDR enabled 4k TV screen now you are very much in the super enthusiast bracket in terms of price. Trying to target this group would be a waste for MS and Sony I think - better to deliver rock solid 1080p 60 and stunning visuals, as that will be far more likely to attract the mass market of console gamers.

Save 4k for the full PS5 / Xbox Two / Trinity / Dr Evil or whatever they decide to call them. By the time they are ready to go 4k TVs will have fallen hugely in price and more people might consider them.

I wonder if people pushing for true 4k have even considered the implications on file sizes.

Quantum break had about 10 4k cutscenes no more than 20 mins in length.

On top of 44gb game install, you had to download 75gb extra data. For cutscenes.

I hope with this 6tf system, it has 4tb hard drives built in.

I wonder if people pushing for true 4k have even considered the implications on file sizes.

On top of 44gb game install, you had to download 73gb extra data. For cutscenes.

As a mainly digital user this makes me cry inside especially when Sony makes me download it twice... once for me and once for my wife instead of letting us copy and paste it over and activate licenses like Microsoft does =S

I personally think the 4k part of these consoles has more to do with movie playback than games. In addition, I have a feeling the Neo will eventually supplant the base ps4 and allow them to release a slimmed down morpheus that doesn't need it's own processing unit.

I have a feeling Scorpio was MS's attempt to not be left behind with the launch of VR. If the One was going to have a chance at supporting Occulus, it needed a revision.

But that's just my take on it.

jelly

On top of 44gb game install, you had to download 75gb extra data. For cutscenes.

Holy crap.

Well, I guess most stuff is in engine I suppose.

I wonder if Forza Horizon will have better textures or just a resolution bump, AA, AF and what not?

Scorpio could probably push Halo 5 to 4K but who wants to see that quality at 4K and not better assets, effects, draw distance, 60fps enemies etc. That's what I fear Halo 6 is going to like. Halo 5 4K or id's Rage for PC users.

Dabanton

What will happen as it does with every gen is a few early games will do '4k' then we'll settle into a groove where games will do a mix of high dynamic resolutions and what was actually promised this gen by both MS and Sony but never truly reached i.e true 1080p.

jelly

This thread doesn't bode well for Phil's Scorpio message but maybe he can do a Greenberg, games output on your TV at 4K. Hopefully devs outside of Microsoft at least fall on the non 4K side.

Im sure there will be variety. Some games will be 4k, some will not but take advantage of the extra power. They said you can do that, so there you go.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Assuming both neo and Scorpio still have jaguar CPUs at similar clock then it would seem clear that both are being oitched as running Xb1/PS4 games at higher resolutions but the same level of detail. This might be disappointing for some, but it might also be a good thing. If you don't have a 4K TV and aren't too bothered about an improved image quality from downscaling to 1080p, then you can happily save your money until the next box they release.

I do think some developers may choose to go for more detail per pixel instead of resolution, but I wouldn't rely on that to make a purchasing decision - better to wait and see. I don't think you'll suddenly see a rash of games being 60fps, especially if the CPUs aren't very different.

pretty sure they are just using 4k as a buzzword to make it apparent to the gaming public that Scorpio is super duper powerful and that they will not be losing the resolution warz anymore once it comes out.

I have a 4K monitor and even I choose to run games at 1440p so that I can get better visuals and a more stable frame rate. If the AA solution is good 1080p and 1440p are good enough, and 4K should only really be used when you have power to spare. Something that is definitely not the case with consoles.

I don't want another halo 5 situation where they have to make lots of sacrifices to hit 60fps. I would prefer an amazing looking 1080/60 for halo. Forza on the other hand...

Something something coding to the metal.... xD

Just for real im pretty sure they can find a way to push 4k@60fps and still have good graphics. I think more devs will apply something like Quantum break reconstructing a nice image from different resolution rendertargets to reach 4K.
Would be lame to not have 4k games after touting its a 4k machine.

hemo memo

pretty sure they are just using 4k as a buzzword to make it apparent to the gaming public that Scorpio is super duper powerful and that they will not be losing the resolution warz anymore once it comes out.

Both Scorpio and Neo are using it as buzzword and as far as I know (for Neo atleast) resolution display is manadtory at 1080 but framrate is not. So you'll continue to see games targeting 30fps.

16BitNova

So are games going to look worse when they are downscaled from 4K to 1080p if a consumer doesn't have a 4K set yet (compared to just playing it at native 1080p)? Also, is the Scorpio going to automatically upscale every game to 4K now or will it play a game at native 1080p if that is it's native resolution?

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'll take 1080p 60fps with bells and whistles. Leave 4K to PC owners that have money to burn. I just can't justify spendings thousands of pounds to play 4K 60fps.

It's time they start giving us options on how we want to play the games. I'd go for 1080p 60fps over 4K 30fps 99% of the time, personally.

Yep. I'd be down for two presets in console games for the 4K transition period. 1080p/60fps @ High/Ultra or 4K/30fps @ Medium.

This thread doesn't bode well for Phil's Scorpio message but maybe he can do a Greenberg, games output on your TV at 4K. Hopefully devs outside of Microsoft at least fall on the non 4K side.

Phil confirmed that the console would have console-level downsamping and upsampling. So, any dev can take advantage of the 6TF in any way they want and the final image will match the resolution of your screen.

ironcreed

Banned
I would rather have beefed up games that look incredible and run at 1080p and 60 fps. That should be the target with all of the extra juice in these systems and is the only reason I would even want them. As I have no plans to buy a 4K TV anytime soon.

Top Bottom