• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 4K the best way to use the power of Scorpio and PS4K? Digital Foundry unconvinced

Bobnob

I need to hear AAA Developers say "we're gonna be developing games for a optimal 1080p 60fps experiance" before i buy Scorpio, If its going to be 4k sub60 drops for the majority then i'm afraid i'm out! 60 fps is key for me!

clem84

Gold Member
Chances are, Halo 6 is going to be a launch title for Scorpio, if not, 2018.

I wonder what they'll do... abandon their 60fps principles they've built over the last several years, contradict their Scorpio messaging by maintaining 1080p, or deliver a visually underwhelming product at 2160p/60.

That's what happens when you promise and promise and promise.

geordiemp

It's time they start giving us options on how we want to play the games. I'd go for 1080p 60fps over 4K 30fps 99% of the time, personally.

Yup, we dont need full PC options, just a simple 60 FPS ?

In fact devs should be trying to go for Neo mode is 60 FPS, would make me buy one.

I'm excited to see if turn 10 can get F7 to run 4k@60 on Scorpio.

They have done a great job getting the past two games to hit 1080@60 on the XB1, so hopefully they can lead the way here.

Chances are, Halo 6 is going to be a launch title for Scorpio, if not, 2018.

I wonder what they'll do... abandon their 60fps principles they've built over the last several years, contradict their Scorpio messaging by maintaining 1080p, or deliver a visually underwhelming product at 2160p/60.

They will go 60fps with dynamic resolution that "up to" 4k res(even most time won't be 4k res).
Dynamic resolution is actually become a great thing in future, like Scorpio can do 1080p 60fps for Halo 5 all the time, so Scorpio 2 should be able to do 4k 60fps for Halo 6 all the time.

That's what happens when you promise and promise and promise.

They already said developers are free to do, 4k medium or 1080p ultra, whatever they want.

I'm excited to see if turn 10 can get F7 to run 4k@60 on Scorpio.

They have done a great job getting the past two games to hit 1080@60 on the XB1, so hopefully they can lead the way here.

I bet they will and that will be the showcase launch title. What remains to be seen is how much they can also improve the graphics alongside the big resolution bump.

They will go 60fps with dynamic resolution that "up to" 4k res(even most time won't be 4k res).
Dynamic resolution is actually become a great thing in future, like Scorpio can do 1080p 60fps for Halo 5 all the time, so Scorpio 2 should be able to do 4k 60fps for Halo 6 all the time.
But then Halo 6 is going to look like Halo 5 on XB1, but at 4K. I don't think anyone wants that.

4K is good as a concrete talking point when trying to sell why consumers need these consoles and what makes them different from what is already out there. We'll see how the power actually gets used in practice.

thuway

They are right. I did two twitter polls about this topic. Most people just want a steady 1080p 60 FPS or 1080p with highest graphics possible.

4k is a generation or two away. Last gen we struggled with 720p/60, this gen we struggle with 1080p/60.

4k is a bigger leap than 720-1080 as well. Plus requires new television sets or monitors. Plus youre actually getting into "imperceptible difference" at certain display sizes and distances.

I would rather see better effects and framerates at 1080p for another 7-10 years.

60fps will always be a dream because some development teams and publishers don't believe it's worth the effort or sacrifices.

iMax

Actually yeah, you're right. Good call.

RoKKeR

I didn't think that 4K TV adoption was that high for both manufacturers to pursue it so aggressively.

It isn't high yet, but they are betting that it will grow sharply in the next 1-2 years and want to have consoles on the market for new 4K set owners.

ps3ud0

Its probably a good time to start demanding 60fps because moving to 30fps to 60fps isnt easier years later dependent on how an engine it setup. Perhaps maybe more that engines can account for that possibility.

Who wont want to play old favourites a couple of generations away and probably expect more than just a resolution improvement.

ps3ud0 8)

Even ignoring the fact that the rumoured specs won't be enough to run PS4 games at full 4K, I agree that it is not the best way to use the power. But not (or not only) because most users don't have a 4K TV. There are just so many other things besides resolution that can be improved that are arguably more important in the pursuit of movie-like graphics quality.

The advantage of just rendering the same game at 4K is of course that it's trivial for developers to implement. No extra content, no need to upgrade engines with more sophisticated lighting models etc.

Sulik2

I hope most devs go 1080 30 with pristine image quality and gorgeous games on the Scorpio personally. 60 fps and 4k are overrated.

My guess is that 4K is reserved for games being developed right now and new projects that target the weird Neo/Scorpio half-gen will run at 1440p-2160p.

Native 3840x2160 wastes too many pixels on reasonable TV sizes.

LastNac

These boxes should be pushing higher polycount and asset complexity. I want my "Agni's Philospshy" in real time damn it!

-hadouken

A native 1080P/60 is all I require. Resolutions higher than this offer greatly diminishing returns in the living room setting. Rock solid performance, bigger/richer worlds with better effects & textures. Yes please.

I don't think native 4k is the right way to go at the moment.
With 4TF it doesn't make sense to target 4k at all.
With 6TF it still doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think native 4k Gaming will become a viable option for devs once we pass the 10TF in consoles. Until then its probably better to output 1080p with top notch AA or downsampling and instead of having 4k resultion use the power to improve graphics, physics, AI and framerate.

SGRX

I would be much more interested if they were saying Scorpio/Neo enhanced titles will be required to maintain a stable 60fps. Even having a 4K TV, I'm not that interested in 4K gaming if it comes at the cost of performance.

shiyrley

Banned
I just hope the PS4 Neo can output to 1440p. I have a 1440p monitor and I would be very mad if I could only choose 1080p or 4k output, as that would mean using 1080p output for me for no reason

PaulloDEC

It still amazes me that the tech industry is pushing 4K so hard right now. It's way too early for that. No one has a 4K set, hardly anyone wants a 4K set and even fewer people are releasing content for 4K sets. It's too goddamned early to be trying to make us all buy into 4 f*cking K.

As for the gaming world, we've only just now reached a point where we're getting acceptable performance and IQ at 1080p. Can we not just work with that for a bit?

ps3ud0

I just hope the PS4 Neo can output to 1440p. I have a 1440p monitor and I would be very mad if I could only choose 1080p or 4k output, as that would mean using 1080p output for me for no reason
I can guarantee you right now that Neo/Scorpio will not output 1440p without some form of scaling. You are just a minute end user case...

ps3ud0 8)

All those amazing tech demos we've seen that struggle to run at 1080p30 in real-time on silly quad Titan X systems and people want to quadruple the pixel count to 2160. Why?

Sony, if you're reading this, please put a 60fps mandate on every game that supports the Neo.

60fps is as much about targeted development as it is hardware. It's possible but I think more likely the PS4 / Neo games will run at the same framerates with the latter 'just' getting a graphics bump. Especially if it does indeed have the same (albeit higher clocked) Jaguar CPU.

I agree though, a 60fps mandate should happen on consoles with 30fps receiving a long overdue death!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
A problem with 4K as a great talking point to convince the public they need a Neo or Scorpio: as soon as these consoles come out and most games rationally stick to 1080p to maximize performance, we'll see shocking expose articles. "Xbox Scorpio offers fake 4K gaming, games upscaled rather than natively rendered."

It still amazes me that the tech industry is pushing 4K so hard right now. It's way too early for that. No one has a 4K set, hardly anyone wants a 4K set and even fewer people are releasing content for 4K sets. It's too goddamned early to be trying to make us all buy into 4 f*cking K.

As for the gaming world, we've only just now reached a point where we're getting acceptable performance and IQ at 1080p. Can we not just work with that for a bit?

It's marketing. 4K represents a shortcut to make the average game player, who doesn't understand why shiny graphics look awesome, to think the new consoles do something completely new. Thus making them worth spending more money on when someone already has a XBO or PS4. Just as VR is a huge marketing point because it's "new".

It's just that compared to VR, which is already somewhat iffy, 4K is a particularly empty marketing tactic. These consoles aren't going to have SLI 1080s in them.

pottuvoi

Banned
How good is this reconstruction?
Really depends on method used.

4xMSAA trick with ordered sample pattern gives identical edge resolution with 1080p shading resolution.

TAA methods can be used as well, like Quantum Break did. (720p to 1080p)

Freeman

Banned
If the CPU isn't that much of a improvement, upping the resolution is the natural way to go about it.

For games that already almost hit 60fps, going for a locked 60 will be an option.

MS preference for dynamic resolution with some games makes everething more simple.

I don't think there is any need to worry about what these consoles are going to be doing. 4K will be there just for marketing.

I do believe we will see some games outputting 4K native resolution but I suspect that both Sony and Especially MS will be watching reactions and we will see more 1080p @60fps with much more visual fidelity.

I believe we will also get nice downsampling, I think Phil mentioned this on the GB interview so suspect Neo to do the same.

Dynamic resolutions over 1080p, 1440p, or odd resolutions like 3840x1440p will all look fantastic upscaled to 4K with HDR.

The most important thing here is that developers are being given a choice, and we're finally getting hardware that should at least guarantee 1080p.

vpance

Really depends on method used.

MSAA trick with ordered sample pattern gives identical edge resolution with 1080p shading resolution.

TAA methods can be used as well, like Quantum Break did. (720p to 1080p)

As long as Sony and MS makes this easy to implement in their SDK, they should make this mandated if it gives the highest quality method to achieve "4K". Or, they can give us dynamic res and some mixture of ultra/high/med if they need to to hit 60.

Mohonky

Nup.

Don't care for 4K, it's still a 16:9 resolution and that really doesn't interest me. I still game at 1080p on my PC (lowly by PC standards) but with a 21:9 screen, I have no issue with the resolution. Going forward, when upgrading video cards, I'll take more complex visuals with lots of AA and fixed 60fps+ as my preference over lower fps and less complex visuals.

Top Bottom