• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Knuckles the Echidna's feminist statement accurate?

I can see it being kind of problematic, but I think the writer genuinely meant well and I also think the fact that Knuckles outright calls himself a feminist is a good message for the kids that would be watching.

Well-intentioned and good to get a feminist message out to a younger generations in a positive light, but yeah, you could call it mansplaining. Just imo.

It's actually echidnasplaining.

@alanthewriter: Part of me wants to clarify that Knuckles joke, but then again, I kind of love the phrase "Echidnasplaining." Best to do nothing, I suppose.

Ash735

This is the Lisa Simpson joke, the gang were already playing with another girl on the team, but Amy strides in declaring "can she be the first...".

Is part of the gag not that Knuckles immediately follows this up with a statement that is, more-or-less, exactly what he's criticizing Amy of?

This is the last beat, that was left out of the OP:

DF_yAC3UIAE1Jn2.jpg

I guess 'Meathead' isn't really a gendered adjective, but still. Sounds like he's the type of male ally that thinks he deserves to be lauded for his feminism.

Fucking Knuckles.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't even agree with what he's saying. I wish it were the status quo, but it's not at all. It's like declaring "racism is over". No, it's not, and as such we need to continue putting effort into resolving the issues and acknowledging victories along the way.

Is part of the gag not that Knuckles immediately follows this up with a statement that is, more-or-less, exactly what he's criticizing Amy of?

I guess 'Meathead' isn't really a gendered adjective, but still. Sounds like he's the type of male ally that thinks he deserves to be lauded for his feminism.

Fucking Knuckles.

Will add to the OP

I don't think thats what the writer or most of the retweets/responses see that moment as, though

Sami+

Fucking Knuckles.

I took it as "just because I'm stupid doesn't mean I'm sexist".

kunonabi

This is exactly what i mean about subtext being replaced with just text. Instead of a little psa or just quality writing you just stop the show or the movie dead to tell the message.

Mesoian

This is exactly what i mean about subtext being replaced with just text. Instead of a little psa or just quality writing you just stop the show or the movie dead to tell the message.

I mean, it's not supposed to be a little psa. It's a literal joke. Part of the punchline is, literally, making everything grind to a halt. It's a comedic trope, one that Boom gets right about 70% of the time.

Knuckles being feminist is cool. Knuckles mansplaining feminism to Amy is not cool.

Also, there's nothing wrong with celebrating the advancement of feminist causes.

Calling attention to The dissolution of discrimination is a good thing, especially when the attention is called by a member of the discriminated class, who is obviously more qualified to make that call.

Well no. Showing gender roles can be broken is the only way to break gender roles.

It blows my mind that with all the creativity in the 21st century, it's almost never used when it comes to gender roles. Those remain the status quo.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Fucking Knuckles.

I can't tell. That's why I said it circles into itself cause now Knuckles is drawing attention to the fact that he's a feminist. It could just be a "dumb guy says smart thing" gag like someone mentioned earlier. I'm just going to assume that the intention was surface level. Now if they're actually lambasting feminist allies for taking the oxygen out of the room with their "I'm a feminist though!" declarations...that would be some fully opened 3rd eye levels of wokeness.

PSqueak

Banned
A lot of people have tried too look too much into it, the set up of the joke being that Knuckles says something smart and feminist despite the fact that he's the epitome of "bro, do you even lift", even adding the remark of "just cause im a meathead doesn't mean i ain't a feminist".

I personally believe there is truth and value to his statement, yes, Amy implying she's an exception undermines the idea that EVERY woman can be equal or better than any men in soccer, so Knuckles is right in the context of Amy's incredibly specific wording.

I do admit that some people have used that argument in bad faith to try to shush feminists when talking about gender inequality.

Corpekata

Banned

I mean, it's a joke. The Dumb Guy That is Suprisingly Smart Sometimes moment is a pretty tried and true trope. You're not meant to simply absorb the message, but laugh at both the randomness and that the dude that is a blockhead being weirdly smart.

There was a similar joke recently on Brooklyn 99 with another dumb character.

Platy

A lot of people have tried too look too much into it, the set up of the joke being that Knuckles says something smart and feminist despite the fact that he's the epitome of "bro, do you even lift", even adding the remark of "just cause im a meathead doesn't mean i ain't a feminist".

I personally believe there is truth and value to his statement, yes, Amy implying she's an exception undermines the idea that EVERY woman can be equal or better than any men in soccer, so Knuckles is right in the context of Amy's incredibly specific wording.

I do admit that some people have used that argument in bad faith to try to shush feminists when talking about gender inequality.

His argument works better in the utpia where the status quo is not incredibly sexist

it is a pretty shitty idea to show knucles saying he is a feminist by correcting a woman

even in context it does not undermines anything because it is something between friends with soimehow equal thinking

Glass Rebel

Trying to make sense of this while every cell in my body is revolting against the mere idea of engaging intellectually with Sonic fucking Boom.

While you maybe don't agree with what Knuckles is saying (I can't believe I've even typed that), it's good that a kid's TV show is willing to even raise the discussion and actually even mention feminism as a concept. It allows kids to ask questions.

Lol 😂 lets enslave all animals and destroy the world nearly multiple times but nah he is a true romanticus and feminist!

Edit: ah and ofcourse a true gentleman:p

Magneto, master of magnetism, international terrorist and holocaust survivor, member of the X-Men and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, also is kind to animals and dances tango on a championship level.

zeemumu

Was knuckles always supposed to be dumb AF? Or is it just Sonic Boom.

From Sonic 3 through Sonic Heroes, he wasn't outright brain dead. He was just incredibly gullible due to devoting a good chunk of his life to a single purpose and knowing nothing outside of that.

That transitioned into "LET'S SMASH IT!"

Then that transitioned into "Which way is left?"

Top Bottom