• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Knuckles the Echidna's feminist statement accurate?

What is this, why is this a thing. I never thought i'd see knuckles lecturing someone on feminism outside of like. some weird corner of deviantart. I can't believe its real.

Anyways, he's wrong. Things dont work that way. Ignoring inequality and pretending it doesn't exist doesn't make it go away.

Why is this sonic cartoon the medium for that discussion though like wtf. I'm mad there are probably kids out there who think he's right.
This is harmless. It's basic level introductory Feminism. Some Kids will keep this knowledge and learn more as they get older.

Ty4on

As an adjective. It's usually fine. As a noun to refer to someone by, it's usually not cool.

"A female engineer" < fine

"Going on a date with my female" < not fine.
It's more it sounds like you've only read about women in a book. It sounds very impersonal and detached.

What is this, why is this a thing. I never thought i'd see knuckles lecturing someone on feminism outside of like. some weird corner of deviantart. I can't believe its real.

Anyways, he's wrong. Things dont work that way. Ignoring inequality and pretending it doesn't exist doesn't make it go away.

Why is this sonic cartoon the medium for that discussion though like wtf. I'm mad there are probably kids out there who think he's right.

I feel like I'm going mad too

Yeah, he's wrong, since he's dumb as always. Isn't that the joke

Kyuur

Itt people don't know what mansplaining is.

I can see the point, Amy's line is like "don't take it easy on me just because I'm a girl". Could be taken as reinforcing the gender norm instead of as challenging it. In a children's show its probably important to draw the distinction that all girls are equal to boys, not just the "heroines".

I wouldn't really call it "harmless" seeing as how popular "not talking about things" is with youths on Youtube and such
There are all different types of Feminist with different ideologies. What Knuckles was saying is good, in theory. I think that's what the writer was going for. He had a good heart but he's still clumsy.

On that note, I can't believe I am discussing this on a Sonic thread.

aBarreras

There are all different types of Feminist with different ideologies. What Knuckles was saying is good, in theory. I think that's what the writer was going for. He had a good heart but he's still clumsy.

i mean, i kinda see it, it is good that the equality is noted and to not pretend it doesnt exist, because it does exist.

but i agree with knuckles, being feminist with a big sign pointing to you that says "look at me being feminist" its kinda iffy i think

So... Sonic Boom writers try to implement a positive feminist message into their show as a cute joke but because it wasn't executed perfectly some are using this as an excuse to say "Another reason Sonic is trash" or "fuck the last 25 years of Sonic".

Is it so hard to just appreciate the attempt and not shitpost about Sonic like what happens in nearly every Sonic thread? Your hot takes aren't anything new.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I'd genuinely rank the combined Sonic 3 and Knuckles side-by-side with Super Mario World as my favorite 16-bit platformer.

I think Sonic 3 & Knuckles is in many ways the pinnacle of 2D platformers (at least for what I love about platformers). I'd also say Super Mario World, while certainly great, isn't a huge step up from SMB3 and is a bit bland in many ways (art style, a lot of the level design, bosses). The best 16-bit platformers besides Sonic 3 & Knuckles to me are probably Ristar, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Kirby Super Star. But of course that is all just what I love and in the end they're all worth playing.

Knuckles is proof that the left won the culture wars.

I think.

I mean, I definitely appreciate the writer's effort here. Feminists should co-opt Knuckles as an icon.

Glass Rebel

She.

ZeroX03

Banned
After like the first two or three...no mas

Sonic Transformed is the best kart/arcade racer.

Sonic Colors, Generations, Advance, Rush and some others okay. Mania looking strong enough to make up for whatever that other mess is. And of course that Adventure nostalgia
hides how awful of a series that was. Not good games.

Spinluck

So... Sonic Boom writers try to implement a positive feminist message into their show as a cute joke but because it wasn't executed perfectly some are using this as an excuse to say "Another reason Sonic is trash" or "fuck the last 25 years of Sonic".

Is it so hard to just appreciate the attempt and not shitpost?

Yeah it's fine, kids could be watching far worse.

Not sure what that has to do with what's harmful

But as I said in the OP I do appreciate feminism being talked about in a positive light

Sonic Colors, Generations, Advance, Rush and some others okay. Mania looking strong enough to make up for whatever that other mess is. And of course that Adventure nostalgia

I kinda liked that game, but it is absolutely not.

Yeah, neither SA or SA2 have aged well. Both games are trash outside their OSTs.

PillarEN

Sonic 3's time limits can be too unforgiving, I'm looking at you Sandopolis

I found this true as it leads up to the final boss in Sonic 3. Or was it Sonic and Knuckles where you keep on getting higher and higher with little mini bosses in between. I might be slightly misremembering the mini bosses part. Maybe just harder enemies. Cause I know S&K ends up going to space at the very end but I'm not sure if what I'm describing is the lead up to that or the end of S3.

EDIT: It was Sky Sanctuary Zone near the end of Sonic & Knuckles. Just before Death Egg Zone.

Gin-Shiio

I think audience matters. Neckbeard Sonic fans aside, the show is aimed primarily at kids. Kids should be shown a world that treats both girls and boys as equals. Of course that isn't how it is, but gives children an ideal to look up to and internalize. By speaking about it, Amy directly shatters that illusion, so the show writers do what they themselves say shouldn't be done. Wait, what?

1upsuper

This is almost as good as the time the show revealed itself to take place within the mind of a Sonic furry.

giphy.gif

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I'd genuinely rank the combined Sonic 3 and Knuckles side-by-side with Super Mario World as my favorite 16-bit platformer.

I agree! S&K does most of the lifting because it also added a ton of value to the Sonic 2 cart, which isnt the kind of thing that happens very often at all. I loved going through Sonic 2 with Knuckles. Such a cool idea.

Izuna

Banned
Chun Li: "I am the strongest woman in the world!"

Bison: "You may be the strongest woman, but I am the strongest Man!"

*Bison proceeds to fuck up Chun Li*

Is it so hard to just appreciate the attempt and not shitpost about Sonic like what happens in nearly every Sonic thread? Your hot takes aren't anything new.

MtZ9N.gif

chadtwo

Knuckles statement is so poorly constructed -- I don't even necessarily mean the message is wrong, but that it's ambiguous and unclear to me as to what it even means. What is the "this" Knuckles refers to as being implied as an exception? If by "this" he means the breaking of gender barriers (or gender equality as a whole), then isn't the whole point that gender equality is not the status quo, hence pushing for it? A normative claim doesn't have to follow from a descriptive one -- I can acknowledge that gender equality is not the norm without necessarily claiming that it shouldn't be the norm.

Weird move.

jett

D-Member
This is hilarious on multiple levels. I did not believe the pictures until I saw the video evidence.

I can see it being kind of problematic, but I think the writer genuinely meant well and I also think the fact that Knuckles outright calls himself a feminist is a good message for the kids that would be watching.

Well-intentioned and good to get a feminist message out to a younger generations in a positive light, but yeah, you could call it mansplaining. Just imo.
Agreed

Also this entire topic and thread is meta-insanity

Isn't that a case of mansplaining?

Not really asking to get into a big thing about it...

But I've never really understood the concept of mansplaining. Like, does the man have to be wrong? Does he have to be condescending about it? Is it literally any time a man explains something to a woman?

Top Bottom