• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Knuckles the Echidna's feminist statement accurate?

ReiGun

I don't know if I want to have a debate with Knuckles the Echidna over feminist theory.

It was a neat little joke about subverting Knuckles' place as the "dumb jock" of the team. I don't really think it deserves anymore scrutiny than that.

ZeroX03

Banned
Good point, decent joke to throw in a kids show but the Echnidasplaining could've easily been written around if they'd framed it without the "You know, Amy". But then we wouldn't get the term Echnidasplaining.

"Can the young woman break through the glass ceiling, and prove once and for all that a female athlete is just as good as a male?!"

Yeah, a dude wrote this.

Veelk

Banned
Lets keep in mind that THIS is the character who is trying to provide intelligent commentary.

60c90782e359ee92393c43d7c7aff581--dialogue-sonic-boom.jpg

aBarreras

i think he is right, amy should just kick the ball and prove that a woman is as good as man, not start saying things about how she is about to prove that.

but what the hell do i know

13ruce

Banned
Magneto, master of magnetism, international terrorist and holocaust survivor, member of the X-Men and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, also is kind to animals and dances tango on a championship level.

I know evil/bad people can have normal or good personal interests and traits it's just that it kinda clashes in a crazy way.

In an ideal world, where everything is ALREADY equal them he would be spot on. We don't live in that world, he is just speaking from a privileged perspective... so it's not a dumb statement, it's an ignorant statement.

I think they meant well, and having Knuckles of all the characters refer to himself as a feminist despite being a meathead implies that the writers think feminism is a good thing. It leaves the impression on kids that being a feminist is a good thing, which pretty much goes against most of the other stuff they're gonna end up watching.

That being said, the explanation he uses is a little weird. But I'm glad they're trying?

Some people think women don't say 'female' and that female is derogatory hate speech ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As an adjective. It's usually fine. As a noun to refer to someone by, it's usually not cool.

"A female engineer" < fine

"Going on a date with my female" < not fine.

Fuchsdh

It was kind of dumb.

On the other hand, I believe it was Freakonomics that was interviewing the first black astronaut, I believe, and the guy pointed out that while being the first was "historic" in a history books quiz kind of way, what's far more important is the second or third or fourth etc. that demonstrates it's not just a fluke and that things have substantially changed. And I can see the value in that sentiment. The first ___ to do something doesn't really provide evidence we've made substantial progress in providing a truly equal playing field that will enable others to succeed, and turn the historic into the routine.

13ruce

Banned
Dude thought Robotnik was his friend back in the day of Sonic 3 and Knuckles. He's dumb as fuck.

Yeah that's kinda true ha.

That's exactly how i thought of knuckles!

In the regular continuity he is also not the brightest bulb. That's how Eggman kept tricking him.

I agree but i don't remember him being on this level.

From Sonic 3 through Sonic Heroes, he wasn't outright brain dead. He was just incredibly gullible due to devoting a good chunk of his life to a single purpose and knowing nothing outside of that.

That transitioned into "LET'S SMASH IT!"

Then that transitioned into "Which way is left?"

Yeah in the older games he got fooled sure he never was the brightest but also not the dumbest. Altho this is hilarious the intention of the lines are good tho i just think it could have been worded a bit better it kinda comes of as hilarious now.

Cbajd5

In an ideal world, where everything is ALREADY equal them he would be spot on. We don't live in that world, he is just speaking from a privileged perspective... so it's not a dumb statement, it's an ignorant statement.
But do THEY live in that ideal world?

like seriously where does sonic boom take place, some other world or human earth but an island with no humans

please help

I think they meant well, and having Knuckles of all the characters refer to himself as a feminist despite being a meathead implies that the writers think feminism is a good thing. It leaves the impression on kids that being a feminist is a good thing, which pretty much goes against most of the other stuff they're gonna end up watching.

That being said, the explanation he uses is a little weird. But I'm glad they're trying?
Kids are into Steven Universe, the most Feminist cartoon show out right now. They're being taught good values regarding topics that were once taboo.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
As an adjective. It's usually fine. As a noun to refer to someone by, it's usually not cool.

"A female engineer" < fine

"That engineer is a female" < not fine.

I've seen people that get offended when 'female' is used on your "not fine" category, but then say male as in the commonly used 'straight white male' all the time.

13ruce

Banned
He's the Joey Tribbiani of the gang. They ran out of storyline for him, so they made him dumb. Everyone loves dumb n' cute.

Yeah i don't even remember him being that dumb in the Sonic X cartoon for example but i watched that years ago. That one was amazing imo (or well as a kid it was for me).

And the games ofcourse.

I've seen people that get offended when 'female' is used on your "not fine" category, but then say male as in the commonly used 'straight white male' all the time.

I fucked up with my second example and changed it.

To respond to your thought, while I don't think there's much to be gained from calling people 'straight white male' as a gatcha, it's not really the same thing given that men don't suffer from sexism.

What is this, why is this a thing. I never thought i'd see knuckles lecturing someone on feminism outside of like. some weird corner of deviantart. I can't believe its real.

Anyways, he's wrong. Things dont work that way. Ignoring inequality and pretending it doesn't exist doesn't make it go away.

Why is this sonic cartoon the medium for that discussion though like wtf. I'm mad there are probably kids out there who think he's right.

Mesoian

...do I need to start watching Sonic Boom? Just for the sheer whatthefuckery of Knuckles making a statement like that.
Sonic boom comes so close to being a pretty amazing show. The timing in a lot of the jokes falls flat a lot though. But when it nails it, it really fucking nails it.

The knuckles, "I can't read" joke had me in hysterics.

Top Bottom