• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is something wrong with me? I'm not impressed by this generation.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You don't need to be of the PC master race to know that what we are seeing on PS4 is a step up but not a "stunning" leap from games like The Last of Us, Killzone 3, Gears 3, RDR, etc... Nor do we have to fool our minds into thinking that things will get significantly better just because we are early in the next-gen consoles life cycle (as if we know for a fact that graphics will linearly increase each year).

So things won't get significantly better, yet we're using late last gen games that were developed with a better knowledge of the hardware as examples of the impressive output from last gen.

Sounds fair.

ryuken-d

I'm having a similiar experience because the PS3 is so badass and I have so many great games and then I got a fast laptop so I'm playing a shit ton of games with maxed out or nearly maxed out settings then I get the PS4 and I'm happy with it but they all kind of blur together. I can clearly tell the difference between PS3 and PS4 games but I really think in a couples of years we'll all be very happy with what comes down the pipeline. including MS and Nintendo.

Melchiah

You don't need to be of the PC master race to know that what we are seeing on PS4 is a step up but not a "stunning" leap from games like The Last of Us, Killzone 3, Gears 3, RDR, etc... Nor do we have to fool our minds into thinking that things will get significantly better just because we are early in the next-gen consoles life cycle (as if we know for a fact that graphics will linearly increase each year).

I definitely consider KZ3 -> KZ:SF and Infamous 2 -> I:SS a stunning leap, and think it's absurd to say they aren't. I also think many here will be proven wrong during the coming years. Eventhough the hardware architecture is now more familiar from the get-go, and the development tools are better than they were on previous launches. The thing is, PC games have never been developed with this kind of hardware as the baseline, and to my knowledge most of the games haven't fully taken advantage of parallel processing on multiple cores and hUMA architecture.

FluxWaveZ

PS4 and Xbox One games already seem like a stunning leap to me. inFamous: Second Son looks amazing.

Games will look significantly better as the generation progresses.

PS4 and Xbox One games already seem like a stunning leap to me. inFamous: Second Son looks amazing.

Games will look significantly better as the generation progresses.

If you say so... .. I'll keep waiting for those statements to turn into real games equivalent to the E3 demos that we've been promised..

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nobody should buy NBA2K14. That game was a complete slap in the face to consumers.

Yamauchi

Banned
It's called getting old.

I haven't been impressed by a new generation of consoles since the Dreamcast/PS2/GCN/Xbox generation.

shandy706

It's not going to be super impressive next to games many of us have been playing on PC.

However, I think games like Infamous and Ryse look gorgeous in motion, and absolutely trump the 360 and PS3 visually.

They're only going to get better, but PC gamers are going to notice some shortcomings here and there, and always will.

The reflections in Infamous:SS being misaligned is instantly noticeable to me, but the game is still very nice looking. It's not worth fussing over.

louiedog

Why is this a weekly topic

The generation has barely begun

I, maybe wrongly, assume a lot of these people were kind of young when the last generation started and don't remember how things were for the first few months. I didn't find anything on the 360 that I was interested in or felt seemed impossible on the previous generation until Dead Rising which came out in like August.

Chabbles

Well its all subjective, isnt it ?

Someone who's been playing on a decent PC for the awhile isnt going to be all that impressed. Then you get someone who's just played Consoles for the last few years, and they could be blown away.

Personally i've being playing PC throughout the release of this gen and last, and i was far more underwhelmed with the PS360 launch titles.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
last gen launched with gun for crying out loud this gen is only 5 months old and already has the best dead rising game, ryse, killer instinct, titan fall, infamous second son and the stuff coming out later this year looks even better cause holy shit that batman game and dragon age look bonkers

Melchiah

I, maybe wrongly, assume a lot of these people were kind of young when the last generation started and don't remember how things were for the first few months. I didn't find anything on the 360 that I was interested in or felt seemed impossible on the previous generation until Dead Rising which came out in like August.

I assume so as well. Having witnessed the PS2 launch at 25 years of age, I don't look at the past with such nostalgia. This launch has been at least as impressive as that was back in the day. Even more so, if the amount of good and stunning games available now is taken into consideration. There was just SSX on the PS2 before March, and the PS3 had only RFOM and MotorStorm.

Well its all subjective, isnt it ?

Someone who's been playing on a decent PC for the awhile isnt going to be all that impressed. Then you get someone who's just played Consoles for the last few years, and they could be blown away.

Personally i've being playing PC throughout the release of this gen and last, and i was far more underwhelmed with the PS360 launch titles.

This fits me perfectly, both now and on the PS2 launch.

Slappers Only

I find it rather eye-opening to hear the reactions from people who just play games for fun from time to time.

"I can't tell if it's any better than the 360."

"This really doesn't look any different."

"Why would I buy a new console."

This isn't some insipid internet troll throwing this stuff out. Just regular people going about their lives at Fred Meyer and such. Really underwhelming compared to the sorts of reactions back in the days of fundamental tech leaps.

Never heard anything of the sort when people were seeing Mario 64 for the first time.

Gestault

If you say so... .. I'll keep waiting for those statements to turn into real games equivalent to the E3 demos that we've been promised..

Which E3 demos do you think haven't represented the products of what we've seen? It sounds like you think there's no precedent to expect noticeable improvement in visual quality over the life of a piece of hardware.

phanphare

Banned
signed. I think it has more to do with the diminishing returns which makes gamers stick to the genres they find interest in. so this makes those moments where the entire gaming community seems to unite in appreciation of something extremely rare. like, for instance, the entire gaming community was united with how awesome Mario 64 was. it didn't matter if you were a fan of platformers or not. same with the first Halo. I hate shooters but I bought an Xbox just to play Halo, and I played the shit out of it. now with the generational leaps getting smaller and smaller there isn't that one game that unites the whole gaming community in a sense of awe and wonder. I think that's the biggest thing missing imo. the whole community isn't going to "oooo" and "ahhh" over Infamous SS, for instance, because that type of game doesn't appeal to everyone. now it just seems like business as usual. I'm going to play what I like and everyone else is going to play what they like.

Bulzeeb

These two images taken from The Order solidified my expectations of what next gen meant to me, and my fucking god is it glorious.
The-Order-11886-1.jpg

2352711-0658618351-image.jpg

ibcVtwrXIz21pK.gif

it's funny that I was kinda hyped for the Order, I mean it looked really interesting at first sight then I saw it was another fps and my interest dropped, I agree that so far I haven't seen anything in the true next gen consoles that makes me want to buy one yet (the only ps4 game that actually got my interest was transistor and I the xbone has nothing so far for me) I guess I'll wait another year or so before buying anything new

cerulily

it's funny that I was kinda hyped for the Order, I mean it looked really interesting at first sight then I saw it was another fps and my interest dropped, I agree that so far I haven't seen anything in the true next gen consoles that makes me want to buy one yet (the only ps4 game that actually got my interest was transistor and I the xbone has nothing so far for me) I guess I'll wait another year or so before buying anything new

It was announced as a TPS to begin with though... how could you have been "hyped" if you didn't even know the genre which was public for over a year?

Vinc

I can see the graphical leap; I just don't think it is significant or that the games themselves are at all interesting.

Generic action platfomers like Knack, tired sequel shooters like Killzone, Infamous which was never really interesting to begin with on PS4.On XBox One there is Dead Rising 3 which has the same wet noodle controls as Uncharted 3. Forza 5 is glitchy and tedious.

There is absolutely nothing remarkable on any of the systems yet released. None of the announced games really impress me either.

I'm sure interesting games will come; but they haven't yet.

I assume you're excluding Wii U? Even with the lack of games, I've never had a platform with as many games I did/want to do 100% playthroughs on as the Wii U

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There are only three games out right now that really push the new consoles (KZSF, Second Son, and Ryse) so I could see why someone would be underwhelmed by the rush job cross gen games. Things will get better soon.

Gurish

This generation definitely is a letdown so far. In terms of processing power this is probably the smallest generational leap in console gaming history, which is all the more disappointing when you remember last-gen lasted 7-8 years.

The vast majority of games so far are cross-gen games that look slightly prettier on PS4/X1, and/or sequels to long-running series with evolutionary (not revolutionary) improvements.

That said, I think there is enormous potential in this hardware. For the first time we have systems with a generous amount of RAM, full-featured operating systems, cloud computing, VR, vastly-improved motion tracking, and lots of potential for future expansion. I hope we see something that truly surprises and delights us.

Another generation of "same games but with better graphics" is a recipe for a shrinking and stagnant market, IMO.
In terms of processing power this gen is the same as previous, PS3 was ten times more powerful than PS2 and PS4 is ten times more powerful than PS3, the jump is the same it's only took much longer this time to get the same jump because Sony and Ms doesn't want to lose money on each unit.

You may have a point about Diminishing returns though, maybe x10 today is not as significant as X10 of previous gens and in order to get the same effect of jump in fidelity we needed a X20 jump.

But in reality it seems fine for now and i don't see much of diminishing returns effect.

Only 5 months into launch and PS4/XB1 is much more impressive visually than PS3 at the same period of time (and I'm only referring to exclusives like RYSE, Killzone and Infamous, not cross gen titles), I wouldn't worry for now.

I find it rather eye-opening to hear the reactions from people who just play games for fun from time to time.

"I can't tell if it's any better than the 360."

"This really doesn't look any different."

"Why would I buy a new console."

This isn't some insipid internet troll throwing this stuff out. Just regular people going about their lives at Fred Meyer and such. Really underwhelming compared to the sorts of reactions back in the days of fundamental tech leaps.

Never heard anything of the sort when people were seeing Mario 64 for the first time.

That's completely not comparable. Mario was such a staple in 2D, to see him in 3D was huge, every other game that moved from 2D to 3D was about the same.

That was a huge paradigm shift in gaming. I imagine it's what VR will do once more people see it in action (although that's OT so we don't have to go down that route).

I am just as amazed by KZ: Shadowfall as I was with the beginning of each generation's games.

Like somebody said, what a depressing thread. I'm 38, been through a ton of launches and owned almost every system ... this gen has been a slow start but the games impress me just as they did through the past generations and I'm just waiting for it to really pick up steam. I'm also a PC gamer but I keep my expectations in check.

Personally, I don't think people know what to look for, but that's no fault of the consumer. I notice particles, shadows, resolution bumps, etc ... while a 'soccer mom' sees Mario on the Wii and Wii U and it's the same. Same with comparing Infamous games. I can't imagine somebody looking at them and actually seeing a huge difference if you didn't really look at gaming in general with a discerning eye. It's like all those people that bought HDTV's and hooked them up with basic video cables going "damn, look at that!"

My girl played the PC version of Skyrim (I bought it on sale) and I had already gotten quite a few hours into the 360 version and I have a great PC for that game and she never really noticed all the differences although it was completely apparent.

RayMaker

Banned
Depends on what you were expecting.

I'am still content with graphics on 360/PS3

But a new gen was needed because some games were to ambitious for the hardware for example, GTA5 had a poor framerate and farcry 3 had a poor framerate and bad aliasing and did not feel that solid as a result. Alos uncharted 3 was a great looking game but at certain times there would be really noticeable aliasing and the MP looked like ass in some some levels.

The current gen we are in I wanted the visuals to get rid of these problems and also add next gen technologies such as lighting,particle and destruction.

So far it seems to be achieving these things for the most part and we will see a even bigger increase when next gen engines are more widespread and dev understanding is more mature.

If you were expecting avatar like graphics anyone is bound to be disappointed.

Nymphae

Banned
I'm shocked anyone thought new consoles would usher in dramatically new gameplay experiences or genres. I don't know why people expect this, or why many reviewers judge games based on that (InFamous not being "next gen" enough for some reviewers. Ok, whatever that means. Is it a good game? That's really all I'm concerned with.)

Hopefully, in time, we'll get those new experiences.

Z3M0G

The biggest jump was PSX to PS2
PS2>PS3>PS4 have jumped equally but not to the levels of the PS2 did over the PS1
tumblr_m8mwzes9cM1rb06tgo2_500.gif

Gifs of this game still blow my freaking mind... that was PS2! Looks better than most PS3 games... certainly better than every Silent Hill on PS3...

You have several more years to decide. I am underwhelmed as well on the technical side but I guess that is my problem. The best game I've played so far this generation is Killer Instinct.

Which just goes to show how subjective the whole experience can be as Im bored to tears by fighters in general, and Killer Instinct hasnt changed that for me. I cant play it for more than 10 mintutes without staring at the clock. Had much more fun in my short play thru of Ryse. Titanfall is fun and addictive, not unlike crack. For me its far and away the best overall "experience" on either new system so far, even if its a bit hollow and lacking story/context. The Titans and verticality of the pilots does bring a new twist to COD gameplay that is stale by comparison. Infamous SS is gorgeous and the production values seem to be great... but havent played beyond the first hour or so on purpose so I can finish Infamous 2 first. So far, the best game on PS4 has been Outlast.

All in all I agree with the OP tho...fairly underwhelmed to this point. This gen feels like a natural progression from the last, far more evolution than revolution. We're still very early, however, and I have no doubt its going to get a lot better. In 2-3 yrs games on both systems will put these games to shame and I have a strong feeling we'll all be a lot more impressed.

Handy Fake

console_vs_pc.jpg

Like, this is going to be the theme for the entire gen

The issue I always have with this comparison is - just what percentage of PC gamers have anything even approaching a Titan? It's like comparing a mid-range and affordable motorcycle to a Lamborghini; it's all very well pointing out the difference but the majority of drivers are going to have something resembling a Ford Mondeo.

Caayn

In terms of processing power this gen is the same as previous, PS3 was ten times more powerful than PS2 and PS4 is ten times more powerful than PS3, the jump is the same it's only took much longer this time to get the same jump because Sony and Ms doesn't want to lose money on each unit.
The jump is smaller this gen. The PS4 is not ten times more powerful than the PS3. If it really were it would roughly have 4TFLOPS.

KKRT00

The issue I always have with this comparison is - just what percentage of PC gamers have anything even approaching a Titan? It's like comparing a mid-range and affordable motorcycle to a Lamborghini; it's all very well pointing out the difference but the majority of drivers are going to have something resembling a Ford Mondeo.

The point is that tech is not stagnant on PC. You look at a Titan like its the only GPU there and only GPU available for a whole gen, but the reality is that Titan cost 1000$ at beginning of 2013, but at the end of 2013 You could buy GTX 780 with similar performance for 600$, in 2014 You will have GPU with same performance for 500$ or less, in 2015 You will be able to buy similar performance for 300$ or less etc.

sn00zer

console_vs_pc.jpg

Like, this is going to be the theme for the entire gen

Considering 7800 was a completely obtainable consumer card at $400 ($480 today) and the titan is around $1000, it isnt quite the same comparison....I always saw these types of cards a complete waste in the first years of launch, because almost every game that can afford crazy art aspect targets consoles first so you end up wasting a ton of power...this is of course if you are just doing games

Handy Fake

The point is that tech is not stagnant on PC. You look at a Titan like its the only GPU there and only GPU available for a whole gen, but the reality is that Titan cost 1000$ at beginning of 2013, but at the end of 2013 You could buy GTX 780 with similar performance for 600$, in 2014 You will have GPU with same performance for 500$ or less, in 2015 You will be able to buy similar performance for 300$ or less etc.

That's true, aye. Mind, the majority of casual PC gamers I know very rarely wander beyond the realms of the pre-installed card, hehe.

In all honesty, I just think it's a fallacy to try and compare consoles and PCs in terms of power, they're very different beasts.

Caayn

I'm not reply to the post you quoting :/
Then why'd you respond to me? I responded to someone who claimed the PS4 was 10x stronger than the PS3, which it isn't. What does Infamous 2 -> Infamous SS have to do with that.

Hugstable

Banned
That's true, aye. Mind, the majority of casual PC gamers I know very rarely wander beyond the realms of the pre-installed card, hehe.

In all honesty, I just think it's a fallacy to try and compare consoles and PCs in terms of power, they're very different beasts.

Truer words have never been spoken. It ridiculous to compare the two, they aren't even anywhere near the same price range unless you're building a budget PC. But that's the best part of Computer GPU's, while it costs a premium compared to consoles, we are able to keep up with the times without having to throw down on a new console while making our graphics better, with good GPU's usually costing about the price of the current gen consoles, if not way more. ( I bought a 770 GTX 4gb which was like around 320 or so, so they are pretty close to costing the same as current gen consoles). They are entirely different beasts, and even though they get much the same multiplatform games, its just silly to compare the 2.

Ishan

what e3 demos are you talking about?

So far what weve seen from sony atleast
kzsf, iss have both released and exceeded their e3 builds
driveclub is on hiatus but what snippets weve seen shows massive improvements
the order has matched in real time the trailer.

third party is doing its own thing so thats publisher specific (eg wd is on superdowngrade from e3 2012 or division doesnt look like itll match up but thats ubisoft for you . and ea had its own ignite engine hype rubbish.)
Destiny seems to be on par / improving from its e3 showing.

MS showed some cg trailers (SO halo) maybe thats what youre refering to?

EDIT:
As someone who just uses pcs to play cs/dota and uses consoles for the rest. I am impressed with ISS and thats 5 months into this cycle. I'm pretty sure we're in for a good gen. (standard wait atleast a year for the gow moment and compare end of gen to first year titles etc arguments apply). If youre expecting the massive jump which came with 2d to 3d then yes you're in for a dissapointment. Also I think this gen we'll see a lot more done with filters/ effects. Extra polygon pushing is giving lower dividends. I think ND even mentioned so in one of their interviews where they said the assets they have for joel in pre rendered scenes are good enough and adding more details to those just leads to diminishing results.

Top Bottom