• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS4K a threat to PC gaming?

sbkodama

In the end I think it's mostly the oppposite, with console becoming more and more like a pc or a multimedia box since a lot of years already, the benefit of the console over pc become more and more a thing of the past.

Poster#1

It is sure a threat. PS4K will be on par with high-end PCs and it will be affordable. Unlike PCs where you have to pay thousands of dollars to play games 1080p/60fps.

PSN is also a threat to steam and gog in terms of value. You get 2 free AAA games each month and play online in a secure network for $50/year.Not to mention the unbelievably fast download speeds.Nothing on PC can beat that.

televator

I love the games Sony makes and their ecosystem, but...
mMLQz_s-200x150.gif

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Contrary to many people in here, this does make me feel less inclined to go out and get a good gaming PC in the near future. Doing so would cost me A LOT more than the PS4K will (since I would be starting from scratch), and I do enjoy the console experience (and yes, I know all about using a controller with a PC and connecting it to my TV). This seems like it could give me a good performance upgrade halfway into the generation to hold me over until the PS5.

Markoman

Cool, this thread is still going.

I have another one: Of course PS4K is a threat to PC gaming, because PC gamers just love to upgrade their hardware every 2-3 years and the new consoles will be state of the art at release and will give you way more options.........................................erm, not really.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Cool, this thread is still going.

I have another one: Of course PS4K is a threat to PC gaming, because PC gamers just love to upgrade their hardware every 2-3 years and the new consoles will be state of the art at release and will give you way more options.........................................erm, not really.

Don't "serious" PC gamers buy new GPUs every few years anyway, often at the cost of more than a full console? You don't sit on the same GPU for 6 years if you're really into high-end gaming.

Sevenfold

Yes. Everyone knows the PS4 was catching up to the PC and the power gap was closing through increased coding to the metal. Now that the PS4K is coming it's all over for the PC. Nvidia might as well shut up shop.

Yeah it's pretty laughable now let alone next year when it actually releases. Be a great time for Nvidia to adjust some prices and make that decision a little easier for some.

Markoman

Don't "serious" PC gamers buy new GPUs every few years anyway, often at the cost of more than a full console? You don't sit on the same GPU for 6 years if you're really into high-end gaming.

No, I own a GTX970 and in 3 years I will buy a GPU in the same ballpark 300-400$ that'll surely give me a nice power bump miles ahead of what consoles can deliver at that point. And please keep in mind that my current I7 6700K will kick any console's balls for the next 5 years to come (unless some CPU breakthrough advancement happens)

The point is, if you want to keep up, you're going to spend as much on consoles as you did on PC, with PC remaining more powerful at the end.

Polk

Thanks to weak consoles it didn't been reality in years.
I mean sure, you could if you wanted to play in 144fps not 60 or 1440p not 1080p.

UnrealEck

Some of these questions make me think a lot of people want a gaming PC but are in their familiar comfort zone with console and so don't want to leave yet still want all the benefits of PC gaming.
Even if PS4K was as powerful as a 6700K with 4-way 980 Ti cars, it'd still just be a powerful console.

Moff

strong consoles are never a threat to pc gaming
weak consoles are a threat to pc gaming, because developers will not make the effort to make prettier games only for pc

Finaika

No, I own a GTX970 and in 3 years I will buy a GPU in the same ballpark 300-400$ that'll surely give me a nice power bump miles ahead of what consoles can deliver at that point. And please keep in mind that my current I7 6700K will kick any console's balls for the next 5 years to come (unless some CPU breakthrough advancement happens)

The point is, if you want to keep up, you're going to spend as much on consoles as you did on PC, with PC remaining more powerful at the end.

The 6700K only has 4 physical cores though, I'm worried that the PS4K will have a 8-core or more of a beast of a CPU.

This thread was always going to be a bloodbath.As to the question..No...No sir

By the time PS4k is out I'm hoping Nvidia and Amds new graphics cards are released, moving PC forward evermore

The exact opposite actually. PC has never looked more attractive.

I'm leaning this way too, if the new ps4 ends up being $500usd that's like $1000 canadian (give or take) and welp I could buy a beast GPU to compliment my PC instead.

I want to get a third PS4 for the kids, but now that's on hold since we don't know what on earth is going to be released and for what price.

Hell with PSVR and a more expensive PS4 model suddenly PC VR and a new GPU might end up cheaper for me =/

I think most of these "im going PC" comments are full of shit honestly, but yes, if anything PS4K makes PC gaming more attractive to some.

lol, ok buddy keep telling yourself these comments are full of shit.

I'm in the "Going PC" crowd, and every time I read smug ass comments like yours it only strengthens my resolve to say I'm done.

Let's see how this plays out.

Ont

No, people have been saying that PC gaming will die as long I have been following video games since the year 1991. It has only become stronger.

laxu

It is sure a threat. PS4K will be on par with high-end PCs and it will be affordable. Unlike PCs where you have to pay thousands of dollars to play games 1080p/60fps.

PSN is also a threat to steam and gog in terms of value. You get 2 free AAA games each month and play online in a secure network for /year.Not to mention the unbelievably fast download speeds.Nothing on PC can beat that.

I'm not sure if my sarcasm detector is just broken but in case this is not that: Oh please. Having to pay $50 a year for online play just sucks. Download speeds are often worse than Steam or GoG but I must say that "download a portion and start playing" feature is very nice. I do like the "free" games on PSN but they certainly aren't AAA every month. Good games for sure though.

By the time the new console is out PCs are already several steps faster. Even with the 2x faster than current PS4 GPU we are only talking about current midrange PCs.

Nzyme32

This isn't true at all. Graphics card along with most PC hardware retains a ton of its value in the second hand market. Most people are selling on the replaced component, so spend much less.

Not to mention the people like me who were able to upgrade every 2 years to 3 years for less than the price of Xbox Live / PSN over that period using this method. It absolutely can cost still cost less than taking the console route.

No chance. PC gamers tend to play on PC because it's an open platform with unlimited options. I would never sacrifice that for a slightly more powerful walled garden.

Nope, and it will probably be the opposite for me.

Upgrading my PC seems like a better long term solution. It is already better than my current PS4 for the most part and I'm sure the money I could spend on a PS4K would push it above the new console easily as well.

Also, I will probably refrain from buying one on principle alone. As a producer working on games, I absolutly hate the general idea and will not be supporting it unless they have a really amazing plan that convinces me.

Nothing is ever a threat to PC gaming. It's an open platform with forever backwards compatibility and past and future emulators. It's customizable and supports all hardware peripherals. It's free online and always gets the best deals, and usually cheap and even free games.

We are just seeing the new dawn of gaming. VR will be the difference maker, and PC gaming is where it shines. Nothing can hurt PC gaming except for folks in charge of PC gaming. Even then, people will disown them and pledge allegiance to whoever is willing to take the PC gaming throne.

Pakoe

Nothing is ever a threat to PC gaming. It's an open platform with forever backwards compatibility and past and future emulators. It's customizable and supports all hardware peripherals. It's free online and always gets the best deals, and usually cheap and even free games.

We are just seeing the new dawn of gaming. VR will be the difference maker, and PC gaming is where it shines. Nothing can hurt PC gaming except for folks in charge of PC gaming. Even then, people will disown them and pledge allegiance to whoever is willing to take the PC gaming throne.

Damn well said.

RulkezX

Is it even just a question of power? Look at the Steam concurrent user chart on any given day, most those games aren't even on consoles.

Caayn

The 6700K only has 4 physical cores though, I'm worried that the PS4K will have a 8-core or more of a beast of a CPU.
PC peasants with their silly 4 core CPUs thinking that it's oh so powerfull. PS4 already had 8 cores in 2012.

Kezen

Banned
A 280x which from what I remember is a rebranded 7870, so like mid range?

I think 2xPS4 would be more powerful than that, GCN 4.0 efficiency improvements to be factored in.

The 280x is a rebranded 7970 and is not twice as fast as the PS4 on paper.

PS4K doesn't have keyboard and mouse, so no, it's not a threat at all.
If anything, it will convince more people to abandon consoles and move to pc

AmFreak

Contrary to many people in here, this does make me feel less inclined to go out and get a good gaming PC in the near future. Doing so would cost me A LOT more than the PS4K will (since I would be starting from scratch), and I do enjoy the console experience (and yes, I know all about using a controller with a PC and connecting it to my TV). This seems like it could give me a good performance upgrade halfway into the generation to hold me over until the PS5.

A lot more?
ps4 + ps4k would cost you 800€.
If you used that 800€ to upgrade your pc @ the end of 2013 (ps4 launch) meaning a new mobo, cpu, gpu and ram you would get something more powerful than the ps4k three years before it launched.

MrHoot

A lot more?
ps4 + ps4k would cost you 800€.
If you used that 800€ to upgrade your pc @ the end of 2013 (ps4 launch) meaning a new mobo, cpu, gpu and ram you would get something more powerful than the ps4k three years before it launched.

This. I dunno why people and particularily console advocate keep push these huge myths about PC gaming like you NEED the most expensive thing out there to be on par with consoles (or that it's complicated, or costly in general)

At this point, PC gaming is on the point of becoming almost cheaper than console gaming considering also cheaper games and no paid online

Top Bottom