• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS4K a threat to PC gaming?

It literally gets none of them. Incidentally, there is no graphical equalizer with a new GPU, a release in 2017 will already see progress in PC hardware.

The choice between two and probably eventually more playstation models is literally the definition of more options.

The choice between different classes of power is literally the definition of flexibility.

No one said it will have the same flexibility and options of PC, so again that assertion is not a meaningful one. Just that it will have more options and flexibility. Something the PC has. Kinda a simple point, imo.

Yes, a console having more power is literally the definition of equalizer. Anything that makes the console closer to the power of the PC is LITERALLY the meaning of equalizer.

diaspora

The choice between two and probably eventually more playstation models is literally the definition of more options.

The choice between different classes of power is literally the definition of flexibility.

No one said it will have the same flexibility and options of PC, so again that assertion is not a meaningful one. Just that it will have more options and flexibility. Something the PC has. Kinda a simple point, imo.

Yes, a console having more power is literally the definition of equalizer. Anything that makes the console closer to the power of the PC is LITERALLY the meaning of equalizer.
No.

• Freedom to build to what every spec / price range suits you. Upgrade / rebuild however and when ever you want
  • Freedom to prioritise the performance and IQ of the game over graphics
  • Freedom to modify games to work better, have more features, modes, total conversion etc
  • Freedom of choice of peripherals
  • Entire genres of games that don't exist anywhere else
  • Even more games that don't exist anywhere else or develop entirely differently to console counterparts thanks to experimentation and evolution of the platform through its open nature. Even more games that don't exist anywhere else due to back / forward compatibility
  • Perpetuity for practically all games, software, peripherals etc (yes I've mentioned games so many times, because there is so much more of them, and amazing ones at that)
  • Multiple store solutions, business models, game mechanics and paradigms not possible anywhere else or developed and honed on PC thanks to the open nature of the platform and competition.
  • Cheaper games.
  • No online fees / no subscription required
  • Mouse + Keyboard + Steam Controller
  • mITX small form factor amongst all manner of other form factors

All of these are ahead of graphics for me.
You were either unable to unwilling to read this. A PS4.5 doesn't do this. It can't do this. It can't do anything on the rest of the list either.

MUnited83

For you.
But all those things are true today already, so not relevant in any way. You're missing the point, which is, what changes with PS4k?

Well, the PS family will have some of that flexibility and options that you just evangelized. So if having more flexibility and options is such a coveted thing, how is PS getting it a bad thing? Seems like you are contradicting yourself.

Seems like you just proved, if any change is going to happen, it will be PS4K impeding on PC space, by adopting some of those amazing advantages you are talking about. And most obviously, how can you guys keep insanely ignoring the blatantly obvious fact people are attracted to PC gaming due to aging console hardware? Seems bizarre you guys just pretend this isn't true.
Lol, this low effort trolling is amazing . not a single thing he mentioned applied to 4K

Zafir

No, if anything, I'd think the other way round.

Why would I bother with consoles when you're going to be paying almost as much due to upgrades, and having less choice over all.

Sure you can just not upgrade, but you'll have to put up with whatever the developers deem okay for the old system. That may mean frame rate downgrades(which is a big no-no for multiplayer) or even just over all poor performance in general because not as much effort was put in. COmpare that to PC where at least you can tweak the settings as you desire to get the kind of performance you want.

RM8

I don't think it's true at all that the main draw of PC are graphics. This new box still has a comparatively tiny library, I can't use any controller I want, it doesn't have free online, games are still more expensive, and it'll still be obsolete eventually. It basically has nothing I love about PC, lol.

Would you say PCs shot themselves in the foot? Are you an expert?

I'm not sure what you are referencing in that question chief.

Not an expert, just making the astonishingly obvious observation that one of the absolute biggest selling points of PC gaming to many PC gamers is the superior technical capabilities of a gaming RIG.

PS4K means that gap is smaller. That's just like a technical and objective fact. Following basic logic and rationale, you can see why this might be harmful to the PC gaming market.

diaspora

Not an expert, just making the astonishingly obvious observation that one of the absolute biggest selling points of PC gaming to many PC gamers is the superior technical capabilities of a gaming RIG.

PS4K means that gap is smaller. That's just like a technical and objective fact. Following basic logic and rationale, you can see why this might be harmful to the PC gaming market.

The jump from PS3 to PS4 didn't harm PC gaming, but the jump to PS4 to PS4.5 is? Did you even think this through? Bulletpoint of PC gaming's processing power threshold is so overwhelmingly greater than what consoles are capable of at the moment you think a minor increase in GPU power to a GPU that released in 2012 is a threat? Ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
That makes no sense, assuming they provide forwards compatibility for at least one iteration, and the iterations are 3 years apart.

It makes complete sense, I bought a PS4 to play exclusives, if the PS4.5 runs those exclusives better then I'm going to be really pissed because I'm not buying another console.

gelf

If anything its pushing me to the point where I just go full PC, even if it means missing out on some exclusives. Usually I own a console and a medium to low PC. I don't like upgrading hardware often, I like to set and forget, but if I'm gonna be forced to do this either way I feel PC is the better more flexible option.

Nzyme32

But all those things are true today already, so not relevant in any way. You're missing the point, which is, what changes with PS4k?

Well, the PS family will have some of that flexibility and options that you just evangelized. So if having more flexibility and options is such a coveted thing, how is PS getting it a bad thing? Seems like you are contradicting yourself.

Seems like you just proved, if any change is going to happen, it will be PS4K impeding on PC space, by adopting some of those amazing advantages you are talking about. And most obviously, how can you guys keep insanely ignoring the blatantly obvious fact people are attracted to PC gaming due to aging console hardware? Seems bizarre you guys just pretend this isn't true.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Your post:

Obviously it's a massive threat.

To which I answered an emphatic, no

The main attraction of PC gaming is the superior graphics. That will be less of an attraction now.

To which I also say, obviously no, with a list of reasons ahead of graphics being the selling point of choosing PC gaming, for me personally and many others.

This is pretty much guaranteed to hurt pc gaming.

And again, no. As I specified at the beginning

So if having more flexibility and options is such a coveted thing, how is PS getting it a bad thing?

Where did I say it was a "bad thing". I never even remotely implied it, as demonstrated above.

None of the features I have mentioned match with PS as an ecosystem or PS4k. You get another static box of fixed hardware that you have no freedom of choice in altering. No freedom in graphics performance choices / enhancements outside of an absolute tiny minority of games with a tiny amount of changeable settings. No freedom to modify the game, itterate on it, build upon it etc at any other level than in game developer mandated choices. No freedom in peripheral choice other than what is chosen to be supported. All of the games issues are still there, choice is minimal unless you want to buy remasters, retain old hardware that may die, rebuy via cloud services etc outside a handful of crossbuy titles from PS3. You have one digital store front with no competition, while physical stores fail to challenge any current and upcoming business models or support new distribution ideas. PSN still needs patching certification that can't match PC iteration and fast moving development, and has only one curation process that can not be challenged. The closed platform can't challenge the commerce ideas, workshop, trading of virtual items etc. Games are not cheaper. There are online fees. You only have one choice of form factor. You can't choose peripherals or have full control of their customisation.

I think I covered all the points.

AmFreak

The gap is basically as big as it was when the ps4 launched.
All they are doing is using the advancement of fab tech aka 14nm to "rebuild" the ps4. The jump in power comes from moving to 14nm, the same jump is happening on the pc side.

diaspora

Saying the PS4k is a threat to PC gaming because of a graphics bump is like saying any next gen system is a threat because "more options!", "teh grafx".

Zia

Between the bevy of free games via PS Plus and the fact that PlayStation remains the best place to play dozens of incredible exclusives, I don't know how it couldn't hurt PC gaming.

ViolentP

Between the bevy of free games via PS Plus and the fact that PlayStation remains the best place to play dozens of incredible exclusives, I don't know how it couldn't hurt PC gaming.
I just felt a shill run down my spine.

diaspora

0Grxyaz.png

I just felt a shill run down my spine.

This got me.

A few desperate console warriors left in the salty wild in this thread.

No, it won't be a threat to the PC.

I will enjoy getting a more powerful PS4 though

RK128

The exact opposite actually. PC has never looked more attractive.

This should of been the first post honestly. Completely agree with this; the PS4K completely makes consoles redundant outside of exclusives and makes PC's far more attractive :l.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, all those "free" 2D sidescrollers on PS+ will be the death of PC.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I've just bought Banner Saga for £3 and Lego Avengers for £5.

When there's deals like this on consoles, gimme a call.

(There are a ton of other advantages to PC, but whatever. I do own both an Xbox & PS4 too)

Kssio_Aug

If Sony and Microsoft start adopting this kind of thing (upgrading hardware mid-gen) I would think its much easier to scare me and a bunch of other console gamers out of the console market rather than making this market stronger.

One of the main reasons I like consoles is that I pay for the hardware once, and can buy games being made specifically for it for the next 6-7 years. A stronger hardware 2 years in, even sharing exactly the same games, will make me more interested in jumping in the PC market all the way rather than being stuck on a closed environment that can't even be the focus of gaming development for more than 3 years.

Grief.exe

No Mr. Orange posts

Disappointed.

If Sony and Microsoft start adopting this kind of thing (upgrading hardware mid-gen) I would think its much easier to scare me and a bunch of other console gamers out of the console market rather than making this market stronger.

One of the main reasons I like consoles is that I pay for the hardware once, and can buy games being made specifically for it for the next 6-7 years. A stronger hardware 2 years in, even sharing exactly the same games, will make me more interested in jumping in the PC market all the way rather than being stuck on a closed environment that can't even be the focus of gaming development for more than 3 years.

Honestly, you can do the exact same thing on PC as well.

Maybe you won't have the top tier settings or the most relevant modern resolutions, but you are perfectly capable of using the same PC for 5+ years.

The same would be true for when the PS4/XBO released, and since then the PC community has still seen explosive growth. If anything, your argument has already been invalidated.

CJVaughn

Banned

*citation needed*

gelf

No Mr. Orange posts

Disappointed.

Honestly, you can do the exact same thing on PC as well.

Maybe you won't have the top tier settings or the most relevant modern resolutions, but you are perfectly capable of using the same PC for 5+ years.

While usually true I'd say it was less guaranteed on PC then on console unless you really went all in on an expensive PC, its certainly more of a worry to some people that they can't keep up when they see min specs rising all the time(justifiably so or not), just look at every PC performance thread. Now we're getting incremental updated consoles though I'd say that long term guarantee is in more doubt on those platforms too and it does make PC look a better option.

MRORANGE

This is pretty much the nail in the coffin, PC gamers have been propped up by enthusiast but these days are limited, it's known that PC gamers want the best and they can get it right now, but when you notice a console that only costs $500 is more powerful than your $1500 machine you know it's not worth it any more.

In fact according to NeoGAF PC gamers themselves to beat the the PS4K if the leaked specs are true you are looking around to spend $1870 dollars:

How any gamer can justify this is insane. to put it into perspective to recoup costs of buying a 4k pc with cheaper PC games with 'average' savings of $15 for PC compared to PS4 it would take over 70 games to re-coup your initial investment that means spending over $3000 dollars on games to make pc gaming worth it.

Also consider the specs, we are looking at around 4000 GFlops to play 4k games:

PS4K = 2292.3 cm2
PC = 7698 cm2

so...

PS4K = 1.74GFlops per cm2
PC = 0.519615485 GFlops per cm2

PC gamers will need to spend triple the amount to get a 1/3 of the cm2 performance of the PS4K.

While the PC platform slowly starts to rot with SteamOS, Windows Store and other 3rd parties trying to fragment it with what agenda they have, Sony have been smart and took the best parts of the PC and made it so it works such as more powerful hardware, X86, true backwards compatibility and a robust and easy way to play and buy games.

Consoles beat the PC's at their own game, lets be honest here. a 4k box for less than $500 is virtually impossible for PC's to catch up with and with optimisation of the x86 on the PS4, Sony have done what the PC gaming community have been trying to achieve in the last twenty years - to have a platform that flows well with backward compatibility and being able to upgrade the hardware with no problems.

Daingurse

I don't really get how this would threaten the PC platform. The benefits of PC gaming are all still present. The PS4K isn't going to offer the flexibility or freedom that PC gaming offers. The board is pretty much still the same for me. Exclusive titles are pretty much the only thing that drive my interest in a game console.

Micael

This is pretty much the nail in the coffin, PC gamers have been propped up by enthusiast but these days are limited, it's known that PC gamers want the best and they can get it right now, but when you notice a console that only costs $500 is more powerful than your $1500 machine you know it's not worth it any more.

In fact according to NeoGAF PC gamers themselves to beat the the PS4K if the leaked specs are true you are looking around to spend $1870 dollars:

How any gamer can justify this is insane. to put it into perspective to recoup costs of buying a 4k pc with cheaper PC games with 'average' savings of $15 for PC compared to PS4 it would take over 70 games to re-coup your initial investment that means spending over $3000 dollars on games to make pc gaming worth it.

PS4K = 2292.3 cm2
PC = 7698 cm2

so...

PC gamers will need to spend triple the amount to get a 1/3 of the cm2 performance of the PS4K.

While the PC platform slowly starts to rot with SteamOS, Windows Store and other 3rd parties trying to fragment it with what agenda they have, Sony have been smart and took the best parts of the PC and made it so it works such as more powerful hardware, X86, true backwards compatibility and a robust and easy way to play and buy games.

Consoles beat the PC's at their own game, lets be honest here. a 4k box for less than $500 is virtually impossible for PC's to catch up with and with optimisation of the x86 on the PS4, Sony have done what the PC gaming community have been trying to achieve in the last twenty years - to have a platform that flows well with backward compatibility and being able to upgrade the hardware with no problems.

GFlops per cm2 really? That's one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard, we all know that it's GFlops per m2, if you're not even going to bother to go with S.I. units how is anyone suppose to take your post seriously.

conman

Depends entirely on the price and ease of development. If it's cheaper and more developer-friendly than a comparable PC, then maybe. But I don't see that happening. As ever, I'd love to be proven wrong.

PS4K = 2292.3 cm2
PC = 7698 cm2

so...

https://zippy.gfycat.com/BriskLongAcaciarat.webm

Hypron

PS4K = 2292.3 cm2
PC = 7698 cm2

so...

This post should be framed and put next to the Mona Lisa because it's a masterpiece.

Seems like more of a threat to console gaming than PC gaming. I saw the sentiment pretty often in the leak thread that people would rather build a PC than have iterative consoles. For many, I think one of the appeals of consoles is only having to throw money down once every five years or so and knowing you're getting the same experience as others.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Ultra PC elite overlords won't be phased. But what about them entry level PC gaming poors?

They can probably save much more money from steam sales over the ps plus.

So the answer is still no.

except for the fact that pc will just be able to make the gap larger again in the future, so..... .
You're not making any sense at all

Well just look at the second half of his name. Probably shouldn't be taken seriously. Seems like a waste of time.

LOL! It's funny when people are unable to make any points, they resort to thinking they can impeach me because of my handle. Absolutely bizarre and nonsensical. You read some strange things on gaf, thats for sure. " Look at his name! You can't trust him."

I'm glad you have not been able to address or contradict my points. In the end that is the only victory on Gaf that matters.

Might be thelastword's second account

lol

Anybody could be chief. Not exactly a meaningful comment without context, proof, or an explanation.

kcxiv

The exact opposite actually. PC has never looked more attractive.
Until you deal with hackers on every fps shooter in PC. They completely ruin the PC experience at times.

I went from PC gaming to ps4 gaming because of cheaters they are that bad.

Top Bottom