• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is traveling to Japan dangerous due to radiation?

Mendrox

The difference between this an anti-vaxxing (which I'm not btw, I'm completely pro-vaccine) is that you can scientifically determine that vaxxing doesn't cause autism because we have data. We won't have data on Japan's long term effects from radiation for a long time.

I'm extremely risk-adverse (I also cut down a lot of red meat because recent studies have shown even a little bit increases the chance of cancer). So even though I agree with all of you that Japan is probably safe, I still choose not to take that chance.

You are stupid not risk adverse.

You aren't going to like this news but in the 1980's some radiation thing happened....

chernobyl_location.png
RIP Donegal.

ggx2ac

Did anyone already mention you'd probably get more radiation exposure from being on the plane going to Japan than for however long you stay in say Tokyo?

The difference between this an anti-vaxxing (which I'm not btw, I'm completely pro-vaccine) is that you can scientifically determine that vaxxing doesn't cause autism because we have data. We won't have data on Japan's long term effects from radiation for a long time.

I'm extremely risk-adverse (I also cut down a lot of red meat because recent studies have shown even a little bit increases the chance of cancer). So even though I agree with all of you that Japan is probably safe, I still choose not to take that chance.

No, you're daft.

We know what effects radiation has. There isn't some special brand of radiation that exists only in Japan (although that would explain anime...). We know exactly what the long term effects are.

gotoadgo

You're crazy man. I was there a few months ago, I didn't even THINK about radiation. You know why? Because it won't affect you in the slightest. If you're going to be this risk averse to everything in your life you might as well wrap yourself in bubble wrap and be done with it.

As a Brit, seeing what DisneyLand looked like in Tokyo during a school holiday... I had a real Haurhi moment (wow there are a lot of people in the world).

Exiting the station to say, Harajuku on the weekend was far more crowded than waiting in line to a Bruno Mars concert over here.

The advice is similar, but it's on a whole other level.

Oh yeah, theres a lot more people visiting there during weekdays but if you plan your trip well you will not have that hard of a time like in any normal popular theme park.
If planning is important for any other park, is even more important here though.

Last year when I went to Japan, my junk shrunk to half it's normal size from the radiation and it hasn't healed since. Really hoping when I get there next week the same thing doesn't happen again, I can't imagine the pain of only living with an 8 incher.

You'll be fine, go have fun OP

spuckthew

A colleague went to Japan for two weeks last summer. I told him that Korey does not recommend going because of the huge radiation levels. My colleague didn't listen to my warning. Suffice to say I was not shocked when he came back to work with a third arm and gills.

so1337

A colleague went to Japan for two weeks last summer. I told him that Korey does not recommend going because of the huge radiation levels. My colleague didn't listen to my warning. Suffice to say I was not shocked when he came back to work with a third arm and gills.
Holy shit.

Would you say it's safe to go for a couple of days?

Rezbit

I hear the lines are unbearable. I might chance it on a weekday.

I went on a weekday when it was overcast and a bit chilly. Obviously had a plan of attack but didn't wait longer than 15 minutes for any attraction, went on a few of the bigger rides twice too. If you're that fussed about Toy Story make a beeline for that first, that was the only busy ride the day I went.

I don't see the appeal of drinking a terrible drink in another country, amusement park or no.

D: You take that back!

I think you'll be fine. If it would ease your mind you can visit your local clinic about a week before departure and get a 3 step travelers vaccination of rad-x. The rest is common sense really, don't visit neighboring areas of Fukushima and be wary of what you eat and drink. Vegetables and fruits are fine such as melons and tatos. Only eat cooked meat, don't touch anything that is raw and always be sure to drink purified bottled water. The travel to Japan might not be quick but it's SPECIAL and well worth a visit. Best of luck on your road ahead.

PillarEN

I went on a weekday when it was overcast and a bit chilly. Obviously had a plan of attack but didn't wait longer than 15 minutes for any attraction, went on a few of the bigger rides twice too. If you're that fussed about Toy Story make a beeline for that first, that was the only busy ride the day I went.

That's a huge victory no matter where you are for any decent park. Damn. You won that day.

Bashtee

You aren't going to like this news but in the 1980's some radiation thing happened....

chernobyl_location.png

Yeah, that's actually still a thing. There are still areas in south Germany where you shouldn't eat wild growing vegetables or wild boars due to radiation. I assume it's the same for other regions as well.

But why the fear? Are you also not getting x-rays? Because they probably are more dangerous than a trip to Japan.

PillarEN

Ow the edge.

Just the fact that you say "beer", as if it were a single monolithic entity of a drink tells me enough to disregard your opinion.

What is the go to beer from Japan nowadays anyways? I haven't been in almost 10 years now and I don't bother seeking it out in my country.

seanoff

Well, give up fish too. MERCURY.

That shit is bad.

Dont fly, anywhere, ever. Or have an X-ray Or go out in the sun, UV-B really sux.

Dude, build a lead lined room, grow everthing you want to eat in there, live in there, never come out.

Or go to japan. Just try not to go sight seeing at the Fukushima plant.

Yep thats how you do a plan.
And as you can see you can do it in disneyworld, universal or disney sea.
And you can drink win and wine also in disneyland paris :p

Rezbit

That's a huge victory no matter where you are for any decent park. Damn. You won that day.

Yeah, was super lucky. It rained in the morning but then it stayed away the rest of the day, so that maybe stopped people from going. The only bad thing was they cancelled the fireworks due to wind, but the float/water show thing was still on which was good enough for me.

ExitPotato

Neo Member
Wow. I lost brain cells reading this thread and the OP's addition to it.

This is not how radiation works. You will get more radiation flying in a plane than you will getting inside the danger zone in fukushima.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/03/it-s-safe-return-fukushima-study-suggests

To put it in context, you're getting about 5 millisieverts every time you take a long plane trip. The above is ground zero over a lifetime.

Quoting for exposure. I doubt OP will care because his stance on risk isn't exactly based in reality or any real research on his behalf, but if anyone else has a similar belief to OP and isn't yet convinced:

https://hps.org/physicians/documents/Doses_from_Medical_X-Ray_Procedures.pdf

I can understand how OP is scared about contracting cancer, but the truth is to detect and treat cancers, medical professionals may have to administer a greater dosage to your body than you would receiving in a life time of being in the Fukushima disaster area. If these dosages had such a high risk of causing more cancers in the area, the techniques currently used wouldn't be viable.

The assertion that OP is not willing to risk even a 1% chance is not based in reality. The risk of cancer from radiation in Japan is so much smaller than 1%

Lego Boss

Why are we even bothering? He'squite clearly made his mind up and the rest of this is just flogging a dead horse/or trolling.

In reality, if you were Japanese, would you want people like him visiting your country? I wouldn't.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Seriously though, how was the park? Worth visiting?

It's worth visiting if you're a Disney theme park fan and you're in Japan. It's not worth going to Japan specifically to visit. But as long as you're planning to see the sights and experience Japan beyond the gates of Disney parks, I would absolutely put Disney Sea on the list as a day trip. If only to see the giant centipede thing and laugh at what is essentially AmericaLand.

Radiation poses no threat beyond what you'd be exposed to in a trans-oceanic flight. It's a non-issue. Live a little.

PillarEN

Why are we even bothering? He'squite clearly made his mind up and the rest of this is just flogging a dead horse/or trolling.

In reality, if you were Japanese, would you want people like him visiting your country? I wouldn't.

On the other hand foreigners can be funny entertainment.

I still think of how incredibly stupid I must have looked eating chicken wings in the countryside with chop sticks because I couldn't communicate in Japanese and was afraid to offend the restaurant so I played it extra safe. Sure I wasn't wearing my Homer Simpson radiation suit, but still.

Airan

My sister went to Japan 2 weeks ago. She returned home and is now in emergency quarantine from all the radiation in Tokyo. Don't go there guys.

GHG

Gold Member

What if I told you posting on Neogaf was bad for you? Would you stop posting?

PillarEN

Unless you plan on eating fish living in the reactor ruins, you'll be fine

On top of that I recently watched some NHK special with Ken Watanabe where they do some tests on the fish to see if their radiation levels are ok to consume or not. I'll see if it's still up and link to it.

Top Bottom