• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is traveling to Japan dangerous due to radiation?

Jackpot

Banned
What's sad is that in the face of all this overwhelming evidence you know the OP isn't going to change their worldview one bit. Terminal case of the stupids it seems.

Seriously though, how was the park? Worth visiting?

If you're already in Japan, definitely.

I liked it. Center of the Earth (or World, whichever it was) was my favourite.

Go early, and do that fast pass thing. Even if you're not planning to be a busy buddy and 'max out your time/rides', fast pass (and/or a plan) will definitely help reduce waiting time so you can lounge around anywhere you want rather than be stuck at one place.

Preferably, do not go on weekends or holidays.

I have a friend who was in Japan when the quake hit and the Fukushima disaster occurred. She actually felt so strongly for the safety of all the pets that were left behind after the ensuing evacuation that she moved to the region to help care for them, and stayed for years. She never suffered any ill effect from the experience, despite actually living near the disaster zone (which you would have little reason to visit as a tourist). She eventually had to leave (for reasons unrelated to her health) but she continues to be perfectly healthy to this day.

If Japan was truly the nuclear wasteland you seem to be convinced it is, then my friend should have developed superpowers by now. Unfortunately for her, she is still one of us mundanes.

Lego Boss

On the other hand foreigners can be funny entertainment.

I still think of how incredibly stupid I must have looked eating chicken wings in the countryside with chop sticks because I couldn't communicate in Japanese and was afraid to offend the restaurant so I played it extra safe. Sure I wasn't wearing my Homer Simpson radiation suit, but still.

Yeahm but at least you were THERE and trying to integrate with the culture (however clumsily).

When I was there the first night we ordered a Japanese hotpot and I was eartinng it whilst it was bubbling away on the table, thinking do the Japanese eat cold meat and raw onions?

Errr, yeah, it's meant to be cooked at the table. It was the only meal I've had that tastes BETTER as you eat more of it . . . . but then again everything in Japan is focusssed on this ideal, so I guess I stopped being surprised by it (but not by my stupidity).

Kase

Well OP is dead set on not going to Japan anyway, why even bother asking for our opinions? If you really want to go to DisneySea then just risk it and go. The facts say you're most likely not going to die, but don't whine about how you can't go because you're dead set on not going.

I have a friend who was in Japan when the quake hit and the Fukushima disaster occurred. She actually felt so strongly for the safety of all the pets that were left behind after the ensuing evacuation that she moved to the region to help care for them, and stayed for years. She never suffered any ill effect from the experience, despite actually living near the disaster zone (which you would have little reason to visit as a tourist). She eventually had to leave (for reasons unrelated to her health) but she continues to be perfectly healthy to this day.

If Japan was truly the nuclear wasteland you seem to be convinced it is, then my friend should have developed superpowers by now. Unfortunately for her, she is still one of us mundanes.

One story I heard was that one woman was affected and it wasn't her that showed any symptoms. Symptoms of those mutations started showing on her second daughter (third child).

I think the child's name was Araragi Tsukihi or something. She was on TV some years ago.

KHlover

Banned
They actually do have radiation.
Yup. K-40, Ra-226 and Th-222 to list the most common ones. Another thing to mention would be Rn-222 and Rn-220, that stuff just diffuses out of the ground straight into your home and your lungs.

Also, asditionally to the materials you built your homes with there's the terrestrial radiation. In certain parts of India and Brazil the radiation dose just from that can amount to 35 mSv per year. In Mombasa (Kenya) up to 105 mSv per year and Ramsar (Iran) 262 mSv per year. At this point reminder that the worst lifetime dose for Fukushima residents is estimated at ~20 mSv lifetime.

Rorschach

I went on a weekday when it was overcast and a bit chilly. Obviously had a plan of attack but didn't wait longer than 15 minutes for any attraction, went on a few of the bigger rides twice too. If you're that fussed about Toy Story make a beeline for that first, that was the only busy ride the day I went.

D: You take that back!

Oh ok I was hearing only 2 attractions for a full day's visit. That sounds awesome. It's definitely on my list. Thanks. :D

I wanted to warn other people thinking of traveling to Japan because this isn't something people usually consider when planning their trip. I didn't even think about this til my friend mentioned it.

Also was kind of hoping I could be convinced otherwise but I know I'm not gonna change my mind anyways.

How do you read your own posts and not feel immediate disgust in yourself? Straight up pull shit out of your ass and proclaim nothing's going to change your mind?

Yup. K-40, Ra-226 and Th-222 to list the most common ones. Another thing to mention would be Rn-222 and Rn-220, that stuff just diffuses out of the ground straight into your home and your lungs.

Also, asditionally to the materials you built your homes with there's the terrestrial radiation. In certain parts of India and Brazil the radiation dose just from that can amount to 35 mSv per year. In Mombasa (Kenya) up to 105 mSv per year and Ramsar (Iran) 262 mSv per year. At this point reminder that the worst lifetime dose for Fukushima residents is estimated at ~20 mSv lifetime.

Thank you

Not all radiation sources are graded the same. It gets .... complicated which is why ignorance of the subject is so widespread

Its a shame that media has failed to effectively educate the public aware from unnecessary scares.... Well not just the media. It doesnt help that governments still handle nuclear incidents as if the risks were higher than they actually are..

Korey

How do you read your own posts and not feel immediate disgust in yourself? Straight up pull shit out of your ass and proclaim nothing's going to change your mind?

I don't understand why people are taking this so personally. Like they're personally offended that someone would dare question the safety of Japan. Is it just because it's Japan?

Like I doubt if I were asking if it was safe to visit whatever country Chernobyl is in, I'd be getting the same heated responses here.

Btw I just looked it up, and the Japan accident is on par with the Chernobyl incident. They're both the highest nuclear disaster rating possible:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucle...s_and_incidents#Nuclear_power_plant_accidents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Nuclear_Event_Scale#Level_7:_Major_accident

Unless you take a bath in some funny looking water around Fukushima you'll be fine. You're exposed to radiation constantly, a long-haul flight exposes you to about as much radiation as chest X-Ray.

Went to Japan last year for almost 3 weeks between Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto, and I can confidently say I was not irradiated. I don't glow in the dark. I don't turn green either and bulk up in a fit of rage only to wake up in purple shorts.

Buzzman

Banned
I don't understand why people are taking this so personally. Like they're personally offended that someone would question the safety of Japan. Is it just because it's Japan?

Like I doubt if I were asking if it was safe to visit whatever country Chernobyl is in, I'd be getting the same heated responses here.

Btw I just looked it up, and the Japan accident is on par with the Chernobyl incident. They're both the highest nuclear disaster rating possible:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucle...s_and_incidents#Nuclear_power_plant_accidents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Nuclear_Event_Scale#Level_7:_Major_accident

Alright you know what, it's probably better for everyone if you just stayed home. You win. Congratulations.

I don't understand why people are taking this so personally. Like they're personally offended that someone would dare question the safety of Japan. Is it just because it's Japan?

No, its because science.

..but I guess the world needs anti science folks as well
no we don't

If you'd have asked if it was safe to visit Kiev because of Chernobyl then yes you would, because it's just as ridiculous.

I don't understand why people are taking this so personally. Like they're personally offended that someone would question the safety of Japan. Is it just because it's Japan?

No dude

when it comes to radiation risk the specifics and the physics matter

What element, what half life it has, what type of radiation it emits. The volume and strength of its decay and radiation release

If you dive into the actual physics you would see a huge difference between the incidents. The first being that Chernobyl exploded from inside the containment while Fukushima's explosion was a gas explosion outside the containment vessel.

Yes Fukushima melted down but the dangerous transuranic material wasnt dispersed from the explosion

And it also matters not just what the dangerous element is but HOW you are exposed to it

Did you ingest it, stand next to it, etc

GAMEPROFF

Banned

You are so ignorant that it really hurts.
Go and fucking educate yourself.

I've lived in tokyo in 2013. I must be dead by now.

image.php

Osahi

Just check of your Wagyu Beef didn't come from a three-eyed cow and you'll be fine.

No, seriously, you'll probably have more radiation from an x-ray then from a week in Japan. Unless you plan on visiting Fukushima offcourse.

It's perfectly save to visit Ukraine (unless for the civil war thingy around Crimea offcourse). You can even visit Chernobyl if you want to. Under guidance and with certain safety measures offcourse, but you can.

Moosichu

And visiting Chernobyl is safe as well now, people visit it quite often, so what is your point?

Every time you get in a plane your are exposed to more cosmic radiation as there is less atmosphere above you to protect you from it. I wouldn't be surprised if that gave you a larger dose than visiting Japan.

Jezbollah

You aren't going to like this news but in the 1980's some radiation thing happened....

chernobyl_location.png

I can say for certain that there were side effects that year in the south of England due to radiation. I used to know a friend who used to breed and race pidgeons. That year he had a very high amount of birth deformities. Never had them before, never since.

Violet_0

Banned
I traveled to Japan once and radiations turned me into a high school girl that is fighting the evil dimensional beings when I'm not caught up in some high school love triangle ever since

not worth it, dude, trust me

urfe

I genuinely do get personally offended, and so I can't make a proper reply. Fear mongering of nuclear radiation during 3/11 and after did a lot of harm. I don't even get for what. People so afraid of cancer don't live standard Western lives.

The issue is that the field of atomic physics and radiation is a diverse rabbit hole

The knowledge is accessible but the problem is that there is this mental barrier people form with it to the point that they just blindly accept "better assume the worse than investigate"

Many governments still operate on Linear No Threshold which is mind bogglingly dumb

Radiation is everywhere

yes you would lmao. that's just fucking absurd. your posts are all borne in ignorance.

It's not because Japan. It's because you are sticking to a position born out of complete lack of knowledge of the situation, repeatedly citing things that are either proven to be politically motivated or taken out of context by the same sort of ignorant fearmongering you yourself have fallen into espousing. Furthermore, you are willfully ignoring all the people who are trying to point this out to you, while still somehow maintaining an air of superiority because apparently all the scientists in the world who actually study radiation are wrong about this and you are right because you can misuse Google to support your factually incorrect preconceptions.

Even if I didn't have a personal anecdote that flies in the face of all your assumptions about the level of danger in Japan, I'd still be offended by the sheer idiocy of it all.

I genuinely do get personally offended, and so I can't make a proper reply. Fear mongering of nuclear radiation during 3/11 and after did a lot of harm. I don't even get for what. People so afraid of cancer don't live standard Western lives.

The irony being that cancer can just happen to anyone anytime a cell in your body divides

Cancer is another complicated thing that people should educate themselves on

You expect us to believe you're the slightest bit concerned about radiation when you're this wholly ignorant as a human being.

Don't come here.

It's unsafe to visit Ukraine for a variety of reasons, none of them being the radiation.

Have you checked out that radiation chart I posted on the first page?

Jackpot

Banned

Odds on this guy not even knowning what country Chernobyl is in? Of course it's safe (radiation wise) and you'd still be getting ridiculed.

Now you're just reaching for stuff to post-rationalise your decision, unaware that it's only exposing your own ignorance.

The IAEA ratings are incredibly broad and can encompass a wide range of incidents.

In reality, Fukashima released 10,000 terabecquerels. Chernobyl released 5,200,000 terabecquerels. And not even of the same material.

See the difference?

s_mirage

No, I'd assume it's more because your posts appear really dumb and anti-science. You obviously don't know what you're talking about, but you clearly don't want to listen to anyone who doesn't support your preconceived views. You claim to not be an anti-vaxxer yet your logic is fundamentally the same as theirs.

Ukraine, it's in Ukraine, and I doubt many people here would be telling you to avoid it due to radiation. As has been posted, many people visit Pripyat and the Chernobyl area every year and they're not dropping down dead. That's not to mention the 45 million people living in the country.

Patrick S.

Banned
No, I'd assume it's more because your posts appear really dumb and anti-science. You obviously don't know what you're talking about, but you clearly don't want to listen to anyone who doesn't support your preconceived views. You claim to not be an anti-vaxxer yet your logic is fundamentally the same as theirs.

Ukraine, it's in Ukraine, and I doubt many people here would be telling you to avoid it due to radiation. As has been posted, many people visit Pripyat and the Chernobyl area every year and they're not all dropping down dead. That's not to mention the 45 million people living in the country.

Dude, next thing you'll try and tell me Earth is round or something.

M3d10n

The OP would never enter an airplane again if they found out how much radiation exposure you get at cruising altitude.

Oh, don't look into CT scan either.

notaskwid

Of course it's because it is japan. See all the anime avatars coming at you? They're blind. Only you know the true risks.
The banned by the Chinese fishes are a true risk, don't believe this thread or your government.

Top Bottom