• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki: I WILL RELEASE Devil's Third in North and South America

Wouldn't the poor selling reason affect the EU? Why even bother releasing it at all if its going to flop and cost them money.

Another thing is half of the WiiU's install base in NA and I hate to be stereotypical but this game looks like it would sell most in NA or at worst sell similar units.

I may be forgetting some but these are games that Nintendo localized to English but Nintendo of America did not release in North America:

• Devil World
  • Mother 1* (As Earthbound Beginnings)
  • Sin and Punishment*
  • Custom Robo 64
  • Another Code: R
  • The Last Window (Hotel Dusk 2)
  • Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis
  • Xenoblade Chronicles**
  • The Last Story**
  • Pandora's Tower**

*Came out years later on VC
**Released years after release due to Operation Rainfall and outside partnerships

It would not be surprising if Devil's Third was next considering the track record here.

And there are many more games Nintendo has made or published that have never been localized at all.

Last Story was released months later not years later. Not that it takes away from the fact its bizarre how Nintendo don't publish it. When you also think of what the game is, the legacy of Final Fantasy and the US release and Europe didn't get the game. I find the whole NOA thing just very odd indeed.

radcliff

Isn't Iwata the CEO of NOA? Why would he allow NCL to publish the game in Japan, but not allow NOA to publish the game in the US?

Fatal Frame 2, Disaster, Another Code: R, Last Window, Tingle, Any Inazuma Elevens besides the first...
It's been awhile, then. We're getting the new FF and Devil's 3rd until we hear otherwise. Also, not sure if the Inazuma Eleven games are up to them, we did get a trilogy re-release, IIRC

At least it's good to know this game will see the light of day in North America. Now if only we could get a confirmation about a physical version of fatal frame Wii U next..

sinxtanx

So anyone ordering the game in the Americas will have it delivered by Itagaki himself? Talk about dedication to your craft.

jholmes

Wait...

So they didn't remove the listing from the eShop? Just from the 'Coming Soon' section? Games will get cycled off of there from time to time that still haven't launched?

Other than to needlessly manufacture worry, why was the other thread even created?

What do you mean "other than"?

It's been awhile, then. We're getting the new FF and Devil's 3rd until we hear otherwise. Also, not sure if the Inazuma Eleven games are up to them, we did get a trilogy re-release, IIRC

Europe got a Trilogy Rerelease, we got Inazuma Eleven 1 on Eshop and nothing else.

What do you mean "other than"?

So the first thread was created to stir up bullshit? (I really haven't been following this that closely)

Like I said, games that have yet to be released have their trailers fall off of that 'coming soon' section all the time. I though the trailer had been de-listed from the eShop.

Zemm

Reggie just does what he is told. Seems to me Reggie is in our corner trying to get these things but he has others who tell him what is going to happen.

I don't think this is true. I don't think Reggie fights for what the fans want at all.

jimi_dini

Fatal Frame 2, Disaster, Another Code: R, Last Window, Tingle, Any Inazuma Elevens besides the first...

Looking at that list...

well, in case it won't get released in US, at least us people from Europe will definitely get a superb game. Because all of the previous titles, that US missed out on, were superb :p

Neiteio

I picture Itagaki running across the continents, pulling a rickshaw filled with copies of his game, personally distributing them

So the first thread was created to stir up bullshit? (I really haven't been following this that closely)

Like I said, games that have yet to be released have their trailers fall off of that 'coming soon' section all the time. I though the trailer had been de-listed from the eShop.

If you want to accuse me of something, maybe take it up with me via PM first?

I created the eShop thread based on a GoNintendo story and because I am very passionate about this game and am very much looking forward to its release in North America. I'm not interested in "stirring up bullshit" in any way.

The fact that this game was completely absent from E3 should be reason enough to be concerned. That, alongside no announced North American release date and NoA no longer promoting the game on the eShop are reasons for fans to be a little worried.

Gnilres

I created the eShop thread based on a GoNintendo story and because I am very passionate about this game and am very much looking forward to its release in North America. I'm not interested in "stirring up bullshit" in any way.

The fact that this game was completely absent from E3 should be reason enough to be concerned. That, alongside no announced North American release date and NoA no longer promoting the game on the eShop are reasons for fans to be a little worried.

Thank you for your continued threads on this game. I've been looking forward to it too and your threads are always ready when I see new news, so thanks!

Pretty much. Wii U doesn't exactly have a huge lineup of games incoming, so when one of the select few that were shown off last year goes MIA (while every other region gets release info) that's a pretty big red flag. The game is virtually being ignored by NoA

Really doesn't help that the game is already in English so it's not like you can say "well, maybe they're working on localizing it"

Also, I totally get that Devil's Third isn't going to appeal to everybody, but the posts saying "Good, they're doing us a favor" are pretty lame. It's not like the game is anti-consumer or something, if anything it looks super ambitious and caters to a niche that no AAA publishers seem interested in fulfilling (batshit insanity). So the presentation isn't all there, who cares. It's something different. Regardless of how it turns out in the end, people deserve to play it at this point if they so choose.

Thank you for your continued threads on this game. I've been looking forward to it too and your threads are always ready when I see new news, so thanks!

Thank you! Glad to help with Devil's Third news in in any way I can.

I want people to know I have absolutely no interest in being negative or causing any issues. I simply want to keep people up to date on the NA status of this game whenever I can. And yes, some of this stuff is speculation, but a lot of that has to do with NoA's secrecy. Their silence is deafening a lot of the time and Devil's Third is simply the latest in a very, very long line of examples.

Vena

Isn't Iwata the CEO of NOA? Why would he allow NCL to publish the game in Japan, but not allow NOA to publish the game in the US?

I highly doubt Iwata makes calls like this for NoA, he is the acting CEO and controls the big things but the President would be the one in charge of most local decisions (otherwise, why even have a president or a local marketing department if you're going to make all the calls from Japan). NoJ/NCL is publishing this with Amazon only, so Iwata's not likely going to avoid the exact same deal if he were making this decision. It wouldn't be hard to make this an Amazon or GameStop only deal, or, heck, a Nintendo Online Store only release if not entirely digital.

This is either coming from Reggie or from Bill, but I doubt the latter would block a release like this even if it were hot garbage. I suspect this is a call Reggie is making as president on the basis of it being a "poor" title that doesn't fit into his scheduling plans for the coming months.

I'd have to wonder what/who got FF5 through NoA's bullshit wall.

At some point, I think any odd-ball title we get is because of Bill/Treehouse (just as any pro-Smash promotion is from them), and any title that gets blocked for no reason is from Reggie.

I'm just bidding my time until Reggie is axed or NoA is given its autonomy like NoE after the restructuring.

batbeg

Really loving the look of this game so I'm happy that someone is reassuring me it will come out, because Nintendo sure aren't doing much on that front. The wackiness/campiness and amalgamation of gameplay reminds me of Disaster: Day of Crisis, and all the weird game modes just make me super excited.

I may be forgetting some but these are games that Nintendo localized to English but Nintendo of America did not release in North America:

• Devil World
  • Sin and Punishment*
  • Custom Robo 64
  • Xenoblade Chronicles**
  • The Last Story**
  • Pandora's Tower**

**Released years after release due to Operation Rainfall and outside partnerships

Off the top of my head, there's also Doshin the Giant, which got an English release in Europe but nothing in the U.S. Also, not sure if it should count since it was originally an Enix game, but NoE released Terranigma in PAL territories while NoA never did anything with it (perhaps because the N64 was already out in the U.S. by that point).

NoA is more than ready to defend the worst looking "Metroid" game I have ever seen but they are just gonna pretend like this game doesn't exist. I really can't wait to see what happens, though.

Glass Joe

Watch it get ported to PS4 or something instead of Wii U, lol.

But I seriously don't understand the financial danger in publishing this game. If they know it isn't going to sell well, just don't advertise and do a small print run. That overall investment must be miniscule compared to development and even localization.

I suppose from trailers, a big part of the appeal is supposed to be online matches, which won't work out too well if no one buys it. Maybe Nintendo in that regard feels it's not fair to sell a game where the main focus can't deliver. Or they just feel like the game is up to their standards enough to put their name on it. But if that were the case, it seems like they'd work with the team to polish it prior to release.

But if they feel it's too much of a risk to publish the game, I hope they friggin' realize that this is the same kind of decision every single 3rd party had to do when they stopped support as well.

Looking at the trailers, I think it doesn't look bad. Very average and not my cup of tea, but not bad (though that last linked one, seems like they could have used footage where player 1 WASN'T getting damaged by every enemy).

Gnilres

The funny/sad thing is, we wouldn't even have to complain about NoA being NoA if the console wasn't region-locked....

Please, please, PLEASE fix that on the NX, Nintendo.

wipeout364

The game always looked sort of bargain bin-tier to me but I'm curious enough that I'd snag it and give it a fair shot.

Nintendo, you're not in a position to turn down a game on your malnourished platform, release the fucking thing.

EDIT: Nevermind, this looks like dog-shit on a plate. http://youtu.be/bhYXd8E2KOE
Don't worry guys if you watch the video Jigglebunney posted, at 1:15 there is a secret message saying quebec eastern Canada. If they get to play it in quebec I am sure it will release everywhere else in North America.

Jawmuncher

NoA is more than ready to defend the worst looking "Metroid" game I have ever seen but they are just gonna pretend like this game doesn't exist. I really can't wait to see what happens, though.

Yep that's what bothers me most with all of this. All people want Is some official info but they won't even give that.

The Metroid game was just announced. They had to defend it because it was in the spotlight. Devils isn't now, because of how it was received already and how people still continue to think the game is trash.

Don't be surprised to see Nintendo shy about Metroid as well now too, they certainly won't treat it like Splatoon.

oti

Banned

• Devil World
  • Sin and Punishment*
  • Custom Robo 64
  • Xenoblade Chronicles**
  • The Last Story**
  • Pandora's Tower**

It would not be surprising if Devil's Third was next considering the track record here.

And there are many more games Nintendo has made or published that have never been localized at all.

You didn't get The Last Window? I'm so sorry.
And Disaster is so out there everyone should experience it.

When you buy a new jar of jam but the old one still has some left inside you scrape that jam out and spread it out wide and finely to fill in the gaps.
The wii u has to survive until next November when NX is out, if you think NOA will just chuck all the leftover jam either in the bin or not spread it out finely and make the most of it then your crazy.

Can this be the new thing? This is adorable.

Top Bottom