• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki: I WILL RELEASE Devil's Third in North and South America

Their vision clearly has changed--the main character and some of the other over-the-top aesthetic elements like the music are a direct result of the publisher change.

People are focusing on the visuals because Nintendo isn't giving them anything else to talk about. Y'know what NOE has done since announcing this game (with a 10-second video of the main character playing a drum solo on Facebook)? Answer: nothing; maybe a couple tweets, that's it. They're very conspicuously sending this game to die and we can't discount the idea that it's because it simply isn't much fun.

Their vision for the gameplay being online melee + shooter is what i was referring to, not some stylistic changes. Wasn't the main character basically unchanged anyway... i can't remember.

Most likely, they're sending it out to die (or not at all in America) purely because it has "Devil" in the title. To me the situation reads like there's a few within Nintendo that are keen to get this kind of 'adult oriented' title in their lineup, while a few others aren't keen at all because they're hung up on Nintendo's family friendly image. I doubt the quality of the game plays into it at all.

I still think it's really cool how Europe and Japan get two first party-published Nintendo games during the summer and NA gets nothing. Really supplying your consumers with content there, NoA. Reggie always talks about how Wii U is full of content, after all.

Gnilres

I still think it's really cool how Europe and Japan get two first party-published Nintendo games during the summer and NA gets nothing. Really supplying your consumers with content there, NoA. Reggie always talks about how Wii U is full of content, after all.

Remind me, what two games?

This summer is dry as fuck in NA.

Mr. Tibbs

Embargo will be lifted next week. In response to complaint about the lack of info about a North American release, the guy from Nintendo Next said "do not worry about that, trust me :)". He played through the entire single player campaign.

Endo Punk

WTF happened to Itagaki? Guy could do no wrong between 2001-2005. Now he's struggling to release a game worked on for 5 years. He needs to start getting cosy with MS again. Someone tweet Phil regarding Itagaki.

Josh5890

Well last year we only had game-specific directs between E3 and November but in 2013 we had a mini direct in late July and a full direct in early August. Hopefully we have something within the next month. My guess is August

Actually I'd retort that NoA is being bonkers and held back the info for no good reason. I have to suspect something is up, at a minimum a retailer exclusive.

Yeah, it's either eShop exclusive, a retail exclusive, or being published by a third party like XSEED. At least the game is likely coming to NA.

fernoca

Or they are censoring it so it doesn't ruin their family friendly image.

Hope not.
Yeah, because they've been doing that over the last years. Like when they also funded the Ninja Gaiden III port for the Wii U launch, to censor everything.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm now interested in the train wreckiness of it all that I'll get it Day One, if that ever happens.

Dozens of us will rise up in anger if this never comes out. Dozens!!!

pa22word

WTF happened to Itagaki? Guy could do no wrong between 2001-2005. Now he's struggling to release a game worked on for 5 years. He needs to start getting cosy with MS again. Someone tweet Phil regarding Itagaki.

Google "thq bankruptcy" and get back to me.

daakusedo

Embargo will be lifted next week. In response to complaint about the lack of info about a North American release, the guy from Nintendo Next said "do not worry about that, trust me :)". He played through the entire single player campaign.

And more importantly said it's good.
The game has vanquish slide and a full fledged melee combat, so really, all I wait for is a better solo mode.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
And more importantly said it's good.
The game has vanquish slide and a full fledged melee combat, so really, all I wait for is a better solo mode.

I think that nobody is still allowed to reveal the embargo expiration date for preview, I'm sure nobody is for review embargo date anyway.
but impressions should be revealed soon, so hopefully you all will hear more positive impressions than the ones gave by the rough visual of the footage shown so far.

UCBooties

Because they're Nintendo of America and Nintendo of America's only job is to make all these ridiculously stupid decisions without any kind of reasonable explanation.

Nintendo of America doesn't do what Nintendo of America does for Nintendo of America. Nintendo of America does what Nintendo of America does because Nintendo of America is Nintendo of America!

Somebody needs to push this in an interview with him - obviously he'll try to get away with one of his bullshit non-answers and say that he feels delaying to the end of the year is the optimum time to release etc, but someone should push him and say why Yoshi is being delayed when it's been available in other territories for months, and why release it towards the end of the year when Xenoblade Chronicles and Star Fox will be be out, when they could have released it in the quieter summer months like NoE did. And then of course there's the question why NoA aren't releasing Devil's Third at all - it's not like the console is in any kind of state to be turning down first party software at the moment.

EDIT - we need that dude who interviewed Molyneux to interview Reggie, or David Jenkins from Metro Gamecentral.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Somebody needs to push this in an interview with him - obviously he'll try to get away with one of his bullshit non-answers and say that he feels delaying to the end of the year is the optimum time to release etc, but someone should push him and say why Yoshi is being delayed when it's been available in other territories for months, and why release it towards the end of the year when Xenoblade Chronicles and Star Fox will be be out, when they could have released it in the quieter summer months like NoE did. And then of course there's the question why NoA aren't releasing Devil's Third at all - it's not like the console is in any kind of state to be turning down first party software at the moment.

I think that the manufacturing of yarn Yoshi's is the reason behind the Yoshi delay, as somtimes happen that a game is delayed in EU because of the additional localization due (German, French, Italian)

PS: I'm not justifying NoA. LOL.

Eusis

What's it matter? They'll have smaller print runs due to being more niche characters and sell out anyway.

Endo Punk

Google "thq bankruptcy" and get back to me.

That doesn't explain the Itagaki/MS split up. Their relationship was rock solid and i find it hard to believe it was only over the DOA/NG IP. Given the right budget MS can turn Valhalla into a premier first party or supported studio, they certainly need more Japanese exclusive titles.

L Thammy

That doesn't explain the Itagaki/MS split up. Their relationship was rock solid and i find it hard to believe it was only over the DOA/NG IP. Given the right budget MS can turn Valhalla into a premier first party or supported studio, they certainly need more Japanese exclusive titles.

I don't think it needs to be explained. Maybe Valhalla shopped Devil's Third to Microsoft and Microsoft didn't think it was worth the money. There are plenty of other shooters and violent games that you can get on the Xbox. It's not a niche that Microsoft really needs to cover, so it's less attractive to them than to Nintendo, who is generally ignored by the developers of those types of games. That doesn't mean that the bridges have to be burned. It just means it didn't work out this time,

Beyond that, I don't think veteran developers that leave their studios are really inching to report to management again. There's no reason to assume that anyone in Valhalla wants to be bought out and will stick around if it happens. And if Microsoft wants action games, they can go to Tecmo or Platinum or whoever and try to acquire them from there. I mean, that's exactly what they're doing with Scalebound. They don't have to buy a studio to get those kinds of games.

I would love to see Sony or MS fund Valhalla, and for them to do a full-scale AAA game where dev isn't hindered by huge bottlenecks. Itagaki and crew must return to the action genre. If Devil's third turns out to be great though, it could also be cool to see it get an art direction overhaul and deeper combat.

Also, really relieved to hear an embargo on (NA?) info is about to lift. Can't wait to see more of this.

Apparently it was over the IP.

danwu

Banned
If Devil's third turns out to be great though, it could also be cool to see it get an art direction overhaul and deeper combat.

Also, really relieved to hear an embargo on (NA?) info is about to lift. Can't wait to see more of this.

Yep, game comes out next month !

Ninja Dom

I would love to see Sony or MS fund Valhalla, and for them to do a full-scale AAA game where dev isn't hindered by huge bottlenecks. Itagaki and crew must return to the action genre. If Devil's third turns out to be great though, it could also be cool to see it get an art direction overhaul and deeper combat.

What are the bottlenecks?

Top Bottom