• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "Some developers have become pessimistic about Wii U"

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Source ?

Even Vita ACLiberation sold 600k+

where did you hear that?

I think a mod needs to re-issue a statement about citing banned numbers on this forum again. it's been awhile since someone has. misinformation is running wild all over again.

A console selling 100 million units does not make it a fad. At the end of its life, the Wii will be the second best selling console of all time.

Motion controls were a fad. Ask your grandmas and sisters and nephews how much they care about wii sports and waggle now.

prag16

Banned
In my household we have multiple TVs, but I like to sit on the couch with my wife instead of heading to another room. It may sound silly, but even though we're focused on different activities we're still "together" instead of in different rooms.

I have an iPad but no way do I get to game on the big screen while she watches something on the iPad. Enter the Wii U.

Not saying this is the case for a majority of people, just saying that multiple TVs and iPads don't necessarily relegate the Wii U's controller as a useless redundancy.

I understand this. As a dad with a 18 month-old child, the Wii U has been a very nice addition to the living room.

With a wife and 15 month old son, off TV play has been an absolute godsend. Roughly half of my usage has been gamepad only.

Raist

Banned
where did you hear that?

I think a mod needs to re-issue a statement about citing banned numbers on this forum again. it's been awhile since someone has. misinformation is running wild all over again.

IIRC it's from one of Ubisoft's financial reports from the beginning of the year. It's probably just shipped figures tho.

Into

While i agree with most everyone here in just how silly and out of touch those quotes are, one has to remember that the things people in business say behind close doors and the things they say to investors, media and the rest are 2 very different things.

The man is well educated and well experienced, he knows his shit, and likely knows just how bleak things are with the Wii U and especially the situation regarding third parties, not only does he know everything we know (or think we know) he also knows all the details, he exactly why EA and almost everyone else is ignoring them. Its the same thing you saw when Reggie was interviewed at E3, he brushed it all aside and damage controlled most questions.

Its not what you want to hear, but its what they need to say. There is no other way to handle this other than just turning a blind eye and pretending everything is fine and will be great.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love Nintendo to come back with full force, but I honestly don't see it happening with Wii U :/ Not even I own one, and I own every freaking Nintendo console since the NES.

I'm actually honestly sad when thinking too much about this. The stock market pic posted earlier is so depressing.

where did you hear that?

A conflation of shipped vs sold. It's really hard to figure out what the best selling 3rd party game on Wii U is because of the lack of European numbers though

andthebeatgoeson

Maybe Nintendo is trolling and wanted them to be pessimistic.
After selling 20 million copies of Mario kart, this conversation well take place:

'They always say they can't sell amongst the likes of Mario and Zelda.'

'Well, they are right!'

'We will make it so that you UNDERSTAND!'

*EvilIwatalaugh*

XZ7tlGw.png

That's Nintendo's stock for the last five years.

Iwata has brought a lot of shame upon his family. He needs to fall on his sword or get fired ASAP.

Apart from the xenophobic garbage in your post, you should be looking at Nintendo stock since Iwata took over, not in the last five years

All I see is a company that soared high when motion controls were popular and then came back down to earth

QaaQer

here is the Guillemot quote:

We have always been early on new consoles. Sometimes it works, sometimes less effective. With new console launch, it’s interesting for us, to make them shine on the market. It’s a strategy to push our brand and to create new IPs. You have to look at this strategy in the short term and long term. Regarding Vita, last FY, we did pretty well on Assassin’s Creed, close to 600k units – pretty happy with figure. I wouldn’t discount PSVita, right quality, it might work.

I don't know if 'we did' means shipped or sold.

Brera

Banned
Looking at that chart, I'm tempted to buy me some Nintendo shares.

All it takes is Iwata to announce his resignation/sacking and their shares will rocket.

Megabuxx will be mine!

homer-laughing.gif

Sendou

Im not sure how comparing sell in vs sell thru proves his point

I'm not sure why you didn't even bother searching using Google for a second before ranting about banned numbers. Unless numbers from the publisher itself have become banned suddenly or something. I don't really care about the point he was making.

synce

Why did Iwata even bring up TV? Are Nintendo and MS execs really this out of touch? I cancelled my cable subscription many years ago, who needs it anymore?

Yado

Why did Iwata even bring up TV? Are Nintendo and MS execs really this out of touch? I cancelled my cable subscription many years ago, who needs it anymore?

So you think that most people don't actually use their TV for anything other than gaming?

I'm not sure why you didn't even bother searching using Google for a second before ranting about banned numbers. Unless numbers from the publisher itself have become banned suddenly or something. I don't really care about the point he was making.

There's always a fine line to walk, here. On the one hand, I understand that it doesn't necessarily behoove us to be mistrusting, but on the other, I would always argue that it's useful to cite where information specifically came from to clear up any confusion. Further, I can understand Harker's skepticism when I know that he's been active in threads today where people have blatantly been citing Chartz numbers.

Lucent

Honestly so far only Nintendo has really done anything interesting with the gamepad. All those third party games that were already on other consoles kind of just tried to throw them in somehow.

I see great potential with the gamepad for party games and such, but most games I just don't see them being able to do a ton with it.

Apart from the xenophobic garbage in your post, you should be looking at Nintendo stock since Iwata took over, not in the last five years

All I see is a company that soared high when motion controls were popular and then came back down to earth

The stock is lower than it was in May 2002 when Iwata became president.

On the other hand, if you had just bought a market index back in 2002, your investment would have approximately doubled itself by July 2013. If you'd bought MSFT, that has doubled as well.

Or read a Wikipedia article about economic cycles.

Uh, yeah, see the above. Nintendo has underperformed during Iwata's tenure.

Into

is this today's perspective? how society has fallen

He has no other choice, it is how companies deal with products that have not achieved the desired success.

For investors and customers to have faith in Iwata and the product, it means Iwata has to show to the public that he has faith in the product.

He cannot actually tell the truth or whatever they really think behind the scenes

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
There's always a fine line to walk, here. On the one hand, I understand that it doesn't necessarily behoove us to be mistrusting, but on the other, I would always argue that it's useful to cite where information specifically came from to clear up any confusion. Further, I can understand Harker's skepticism when I know that he's been active in threads today where people have blatantly been citing Chartz numbers.

Yea. Sorry I got snippy, but I've been on a crusade to keep people on a discussion path with as accurate information as possible lately, and people keep derailing with Chartz. I'm particularly sensitive today because people beg for information, and you provide it, and they continue with blinders on. I didn't know about the Yves quote.

Yea. Sorry I got snippy, but I've been on a crusade to keep people on a discussion path with as accurate information as possible lately, and people keep derailing with Chartz. I'm particularly sensitive today because people beg for information, and you provide it, and they continue with blinders on. I didn't know about the Yves quote.

do you have anything to add for AC vita to clear things up? he says happy so I can't imagine there is a ton of copies just sitting on shelves or he'd be bitching like square does every time they overship.

Sendou

That's cool and I respect that. I'd like to see people backing up their information better with sources too. Just looked initially like the guy using perfectly legit (unquoted) information got called out with no good reason.

The stock is lower than it was in May 2002 when Iwata became president.

On the other hand, if you had just bought a market index back in 2002, your investment would have approximately doubled itself by July 2013. If you'd bought MSFT, that has doubled as well.

Uh, yeah, see the above. Nintendo has underperformed during Iwata's tenure.

It's slightly lower (around $1.50-$2.00 per share, which is sizable but not some enormous drop), but it's not nearly as low as your misleading graph seemed to show (and it was probably intentional to show it)

MSFT May 2002 -> July 2013 is also not doubled, it's higher (about $10 per share as far as I can tell on NASDAQ) but not near doubled (not even mentioning the fact that MSFT does more than vidcons - like, Apple has skyrocketed since 2002 too. So what?)

The_Lump

Banned
I'm not so sure what's newsworthy/knickers-in-a-twist worthy about what he's saying tbh....It's mostly true isn't it? Edit, ok some bits are a bit outlandish I suppose.

I maintain there's nothing wrong with their product, they just haven't marketed it correctly/at all since launch. It's basically none existent here in the UK. If that doesn't change by Christmas then they really do have problems.

Cheerilee

http://www.gamecubicle.com/news-nintendo_gamecube_famitsu_iwata_interview.htm

Question: Do you anticipate more third party support?

Iwata: The GameCube has been well received by the development community, but we don't believe in overwhelming third party support. However, we're certainly talking with more developers about the possibility of working together. Frequently, developers use our platforms solely for their own self-interests, so it's hard to form management relationships. Rather than business to business relationships, we've chosen more personal collaborations such as creator to creator. Capcom's decision to release Biohazard on the GameCube is a direct result of that.

Yes, making a successful console is hard when third parties expect to somehow profit from dealing with you.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sorry Iwata, but if a $60 game releases for both PS4 and U I'm going to buy the PS4 version without batting an eye.

The third party games that find the most success on U will be those that are exclusive, of which there are precious few.

EDarkness

We have found out though. Nobody gives a fuck about Wiimote, Move or Kinect anymore or otherwise they´d buy them.

There's no system that comes with motion controls packed in except the upcoming Xbox One. I wish Nintendo would have packed in a remote in every box. I pretty much avoid FPS games that don't have IR controls. The Wiipad is cool and all, but my days of dual analog are over.

StevieP

Banned
Motion controls were a fad. Ask your grandmas and sisters and nephews how much they care about wii sports and waggle now.

Which is why motion controls are standard across all handheld and console platforms now, and a major hardware focus of the console maker with the deepest pockets.

Sorry Iwata, but if a $60 game releases for both PS4 and U I'm going to buy the PS4 version without batting an eye.

The third party games that find the most success on U will be those that are exclusive, of which there are precious few.

You will swiftly change your opinion when you realize you need off TV play so someone else can watch TV on the sole TV in your house.

VariantX

Pessimistic would be putting it lightly. It's a console marketed to a group of people that most big 3rd parties don't go after any more except on mobile devices. They just don't fit into their plans neatly as the 360/PS3 do nor is the money going to be made back on exclusive games.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm not so sure what's newsworthy/knickers-in-a-twist worthy about what he's saying tbh....It's mostly true isn't it? Edit, ok some bits are a bit outlandish I suppose.

I maintain there's nothing wrong with their product, they just haven't marketed it correctly/at all since launch. It's basically none existent here in the UK. If that doesn't change by Christmas then they really do have problems.

There are many things inherently wrong with it. The market just doesn't want some half-measure GamePad tablet thing without any of the functionality theyre used to, no mind blowing jump over the 360 or PS3 they already own, nor account system for portability of purchased content.

You'll be waiting for some "ohhhhhhhhhhh so thats the point" commercial for it to suddenly drive millions of purchase that will quite simply never come. Its a Nintendo franchise box and we'll get an update on what kind of numbers that sort of thing can draw in alone in... what... 2016/17?

Yawnier

Banned
You will swiftly change your opinion when you realize you need off TV play so someone else can watch TV on the sole TV in your house.

lol, I can't tell if you're serious here? I would imagine quite a few people here on GAF live alone in their own apartment/condo/house, or live in a home with more than one TV at this point in time.

timshundo

Oh the family is watching TV? Go seclude yourself on the chair across the room (can't go into another room or signal will drop!) and play video games by yourself! Oh their TV show is too loud? Put on headphones and play wii U in fetal position! NEW UNIQUE ENTERTAINMENT FUN PLAY!

Hahaha!, who honestly has this issue?... i bet they are the vast minority of gamers... if i'm gonna play games i'll play them on a big screen... not a shitty IQ pad/tablet.

Brera

Banned
Which is why motion controls are standard across all handheld and console platforms now, and a major hardware focus of the console maker with the deepest pockets.

Motion controls...like in Starfox3D and other games where it's tacked on and no one uses them?

Top Bottom