• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is not happy with Assassin's Creed: Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
And one of them is Terry Crews.

Hahaha
Actually forgot about that.
Because, hes actually one of worst agents to start the game with......Agility all the way!

The difference is that being a pirate had no deep historical or ethnic ties to the Caribbean, anyone could be a pirate and the game showed how diverse that group was, including black and women pirates.
And Yasuke was black.

This is what you said.
As if the opinion of Japanese people about this game don't matter.
And it's not just 3 people. Several post in this thread have shown it's a lot more.
And why should the opinion of Japanese people not matter? They are right in wanting to be represented in a game set in Japan.

You are extrapolating alot more information and meaning from those two sentence than I can even fathom.
There is no hidden meaning to those two sentence.....ill explain it as best I can....but I doubt its going to be more than two sentences:

OP said JAPAN (the entire country) is not happy......his actually post shows 3 unhappy people.
I joke that OMG a game series that sells 8 - 10 million losing those 3 people is going to cripple Ubisoft.

Thats the post.

Where are you getting this whole Im for Asians NOT getting represented.
Where are you getting that even this game which has half its playable characters being Asian and the vast majority of the NPCs being Asian as being a lack of representation of Asians.

Those who are angry or whatever are within their rights to express their opinions.....as am I.....as are you.....which is what we have been doing.
I think its silly to harp on about the one black guy in the game as some of white.....err black washing of the entire game not only because he is an actual historical figure but also because he is such a small part of the overall cast?
The rest of the cast is literally what you are crying for.....Asian Representation?

Topher

Gold Member
How black he was will never matter in the face of the fact that he was never a samurai.

Good point. That's a much better criticism, imo.

It just feels nonsensical for a guy who stands out like a thumb sore, both visually and socially, to be an assassin.

Agree with Punished Miku Punished Miku . It is going to depend on how they implement the two characters, but yeah....if they have the Yasuke doing shit like that blend in with the crowd stuff then it is going to be hilariously bad.

Guilty_AI

I don't think he is an assassin. He's probably bad at stealth and better at fighting. And then the inverse for the female ninja character.
Agree with Punished Miku Punished Miku . It is going to depend on how they implement the two characters, but yeah....if they have the Yasuke doing shit like that blend in with the crowd stuff then it is going to be hilariously bad.
It's also worth mentioning that, based on the trailer, they're both working against Nobunaga? Doesn't feel plausible for a foreigner like him to do this kind of secret operations.

you can make an argument for more Racial diversity, but you have to do it fitting to that world and not simply shoehorn things in for the sake of it, something I think Game of Thrones does quite well in fact

No, he can't. Let's stop this ignorant racist mantra.

This is not aimed at you but all those who think that "being diverse" is putting an Afro-American even where it doesn't belong as if in Europe or Asia there weren't hundreds or different ethnicities, none of which get any representation in any media and nobody cares or complains. A game with "diversity" located in Japan should reflect ASIAN ethnicities. That's it. Same as we don't need a "black Cleopatra" , because she was already "diverse" by being a Greek in Egypt.

Senhua

Why is she not the primary/sole assassin player character in this game called - checks notes - Assassins Fucking Creed?
You know why.

The reason why not asian male is because female is more marketable in the west than male counterpart and fitting for their B/WMAF fetish.
As an east asians of course I have no problem with whatever gender they choose as long as fit to the setting which sadly not here.
Well just one more Ubisoft game to ignore about, it's not a big deal.

Black_Stride

It just feels nonsensical for a guy who stands out like a sore thumb, both visually and socially, to be an assassin.

He plays closer to RPG-era Assassins Creed.
She plays closer to classic stealth Assassins Creed.

Basically for people who dig just combat they can focus on Yasuke and people who want more stealth focus they can use Naoe.

Guilty_AI

Basically for people who dig just combat they can focus on Yasuke and people who want more stealth focus they can use Naoe.
Like i said, no way a guy like that would be able to do secops regardless of how he fights.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
What agreement when 80% of the comments have been deleted.
It’s normal for this sub. Comments that don’t meet their very rigorous standards get deleted. It’s actually a very good sub for history because most of the answers come from historians or people very familiar with the subject.

Senhua

AFAIK you cannot play just as one char exclusively. There are mission you can choose and there are not.

winjer

Gold Member
Hahaha
Actually forgot about that.
Because, hes actually one of worst agents to start the game with......Agility all the way!

And Yasuke was black.

You are extrapolating alot more information and meaning from those two sentence than I can even fathom.
There is no hidden meaning to those two sentence.....ill explain it as best I can....but I doubt its going to be more than two sentences:

OP said JAPAN (the entire country) is not happy......his actually post shows 3 unhappy people.
I joke that OMG a game series that sells 8 - 10 million losing those 3 people is going to cripple Ubisoft.

Thats the post.

Where are you getting this whole Im for Asians NOT getting represented.
Where are you getting that even this game which has half its playable characters being Asian and the vast majority of the NPCs being Asian as being a lack of representation of Asians.

Those who are angry or whatever are within their rights to express their opinions.....as am I.....as are you.....which is what we have been doing.
I think its silly to harp on about the one black guy in the game as some of white.....err black washing of the entire game not only because he is an actual historical figure but also because he is such a small part of the overall cast?
The rest of the cast is literally what you are crying for.....Asian Representation?

You were defending Ubisoft, so one would be right to assume you don't care about Asian representation in western media.
And mind you, Asian representation in western media has been terrible. And even with the progress made with diversity, Asians are still very badly represented. Much worse than for Africans.
Here is an example. The person speaking is Han Chinese.

DelireMan7

Yes, Yosuke was a real person. But Ubisoft is already changing what he really was, to pretend he had a much bigger role in Javanese society.
Source on that ?

I just watch the Ubi video about characters and they literally say "Little is known about Yosuke", "He had some relation with Oda Nobunaga and some other people", "We'll intertwin this facts with our story". Nowhere they say he was a samurai or a big historical person and they acknowledge the fact that they don't know much about him, which make for them a great "historical" character as main protagonist since they create a story around it (since not a lot is known about him).
So Ubisoft use history as a setting and write a fictional story with it. SHOCKING ! Ho wait they did that for every Assassin's Creed game before.

I get that people are upset for not having a japanese main (Actually there is one but let's pretend she doesn't exist because... I don't know actually) but this drama is a joke for me.

Guilty_AI

It’s normal for this sub. Comments that don’t meet their very rigorous standards get deleted. It’s actually a very good sub for history because most of the answers come from historians or people very familiar with the subject.
I can imagine what their "very rigorous standards" are.

winjer

Gold Member
Source on that ?

I just watch the Ubi video about characters and they literally say "Little is known about Yosuke", "He had some relation with Oda Nobunaga and some other people", "We'll intertwin this facts with our story". Nowhere they say he was a samurai or a big historical person and they acknowledge the fact that they don't know much about him, which make for them a great "historical" character as main protagonist since they create a story around it (since not a lot is known about him).
So Ubisoft use history as a setting and write a fictional story with it. SHOCKING ! Ho wait they did that for every Assassin's Creed game before.

I get that people are upset for not having a japanese main (Actually there is one but let's pretend she doesn't exist because... I don't know actually) but this drama is a joke for me.

They are pretending he was a Samurai, when was just a retainer.

Black_Stride

Like i said, no way a guy like that would be able to do secops regardless of how he fights.

And you are correct.
He is the combat class of this game.
She is the stealth class of this game.

If you like RPG-AC which btw it stops being pointful to be stealthy pretty early, its easier to just fuck everyone up.......then play Yasuke.
If you miss the days of classic stealth AC then play as Naoe.

AFAIK you cannot play just as one char exclusively. There are mission you can choose and there are not.

Yes, there are some missions where you have to play as one or the other.
But the majority of the game and missions you can swap between them.

You were defending Ubisoft, so one would be right to assume you don't care about Asian representation in western media.
And mind you, Asian representation in western media has been terrible. And even with the progress made with diversity, Asians are still very badly represented. Much worse than for Africans.

How does choosing Yasuke to be one of the protagonists equate to not caring about Asian representation when the other protagonist is Asian and the vast majority of the cast is Asian.
How is this game in anyway NOT representing Asians....because one character ISNT?

Filben

Guys, do we really care so much about the same game with the same Ubi formula that's worth working yourself up on that? A game series where you can buy in-game materials with real life money so you get your 200 leathers to upgrade your sword that now does 566 damage instead of 560? A game series that was never *really* historical correct and took a fucking lot liberties?

It's just not worth it. There's like ten reasons to not buy an Ubisoft game.

My apologies, though, to those who *are* really interested in game. If anyone still enjoys AC games, more power to you. But I'm done with that franchise since Odyssey.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's not clear why Ubisoft decided to make an AssCreed game set in Japan in the first place, considering that we are currently drowning in open world games set in Japan and nobody asked for an AssCreed game there after both Ghost of Tsushima and Rise of the Ronin have already been released and both are good games which star an actual Japanese protagonist in feudal Japan

People have been asking for an AC game set in Japan for years.

begotten

I don't see the problem here? Ubisoft has always made shit and this is just more shit. It's business as usual at shitty Ubisoft.

Guilty_AI

And you are correct.
He is the combat class of this game.
She is the stealth class of this game.

If you like RPG-AC which btw it stops being pointful to be stealthy pretty early, its easier to just fuck everyone up.......then play Yasuke.
If you miss the days of classic stealth AC then play as Naoe.
i don't think you understand what i'm talking about. HE IS CONSPIRING AGAINST A MAJOR LORD (or so the trailer seems to imply), WHILE WORKING CLOSELY TO SAID LORD. Do you seriously think a guy who stands out like a sore thumb and is probably socially scrutinized would be able to do that so freely?

killatopak

Gold Member
Me trying to look at our national hero to see if he was actually white/black while fighting the spaniards.

Asians really got fucked by this western culture war.

Ulysses 31

i don't think you understand what i'm talking about. HE IS CONSPIRING AGAINST A MAJOR LORD (or so the trailer seems to imply), WHILE WORKING CLOSELY TO SAID LORD. Do you seriously think a guy who stands out like a sore thumb and is probably socially scrutinized would be able to do that so freely?
iu

Gaiff

I can imagine what their "very rigorous standards" are.
Sources and an understanding of the subject so responses such as, "I’m not an expert" or "my friend told me" get banned. Look at most of the threads and almost every post gets removed because people’s responses simply aren’t thorough enough.

Senhua

Here is an example. The person speaking is Han Chinese.

Asian women is much better represented in the western media than asian men.
Westerner often regard the men as barbarian while the women is exotic.
There are reason why they using kunoichi here not shinobi.
This game clearly been made for western audience. They give no shit about east asian here.

Funny though, the only AC game setting in Africa (Egypt) featuring both gender natives.
image6-41.jpeg

It seems they have some beef with Asians especially with the men.

How does choosing Yasuke to be one of the protagonists equate to not caring about Asian representation when the other protagonist is Asian and the vast majority of the cast is Asian.
Terrible argument. By this logic, every white saviour trope is representative of their culture due to the fact the majority of cast is (insert race).
How is this game in anyway NOT representing Asians....because one character ISNT?
I agree somewhat on this argument due to the fact that everyone is forgetting to add "male" asian representative.

winjer

Gold Member

That is the same argument that white people did a few decades ago when they had a token black guy. Pretending that is actual representation.
Yosuke is an insignificant person in Japanese history. His only relevant thing is that he was a black man in Japan.
Nothing he ever did would make him a preferential character in a Japanese theme game, when there are thousands of more historical characters with much greater impact.
What you are doing is removing the importance of Japanese people in Japan's history.

Guilty_AI

Sources and an understanding of the subject so responses such as, "I’m not an expert" or "my friend told me" get banned. Look at most of the threads and almost every post gets removed because people’s responses simply aren’t thorough enough.
And conformity with their extremist pragmatic ideology. This is 2024 reddit.

By the way, this thread from 3 years ago here seems way more informative than the one you pointed towards:

He was a warrior of some sort but no proper confirmation of him being a samurai. Some argue that he was due to certain circumstances but nothing clear.

Last edited:

Senhua

Source on that ?
This one maybe. He maybe a samurai as no one truly know but certainly not a legend.
About Assassin’s Creed Shadows:In Assassin’s Creed Shadows, you will live the intertwined stories of Naoe, an adept shinobi Assassin from Iga Province, and Yasuke, the powerful African samurai of historical legend. Against the backdrop of the turbulent late Sengoku period, this remarkable duo will discover their common destiny as they usher in a new era for Japan.

Fake

Why they wouldn't? Western devs disrespect every other culture they don't agree with.

Last edited:

Gaiff

was referred to as a great warrior. Never given the title of samurai or any of the stuff that comes with it.
Most well-known samurai’s aren’t even referred to as such from what I gathered. The thing with Yasuke is that based on what we know, do experts think he was a samurai? I’ve seen people saying they don’t know or yes, haven’t seen a no so far.

And do note that the definition of samurai changed according to the time period. During Yasuke’s time for instance, it wasn’t an hereditary noble title. There also wasn’t a law prohibiting citizens from carrying weapons and according to primary sources, he was given a house, a stipend, and a katana (not a wakizashi). He also seemingly enjoyed considerable autonomy. By our modern definition of samurai, he wouldn’t qualify but at the time, he might have. Once again, however, there isn’t that much information and conclusions are drawn from what little we know. If anyone expects any documentation to call him a samurai, they won’t find it, nor will they find it for most samurais (allegedly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom