• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaw Dropping Moments in Gaming

Part of what makes gaming so special are usually the moments that you feel where you get a rush of chilled tingling througout your spine. Or better yet, the moments where your brain freezes for a few seconds and its trying to process what just happened.

These moments usually occur during a pivotal plot point/twists, beautiful visual scenery that comes out of nowhere, or a perfect mix of a gameplay segment and kick ass musical score.

There are thousands of video games out there in the world, but only very few can reach such heights.

Here are my favorite moments in video games where my brain ended up being transported to a different dimension. As weird and dumb as this may sound, but sometimes it can also feel so good that you feel like you are not on planet earth anymore.

Here is my list and these are NOT in any particular order or ranks.

In the very first Mass Effect game there was something mysterious about exploring the citadel for the first and become familiar with the Mass Effect universe for the first time. Also, when this specific track kicked in. I ended up standing still for almost over 5 minutes. These 5 minutes felt like an hour but I also felt a sense of freedom and escape from reality.

P.S. Please give Mass Effect the faithful return it deserves.

Moving on to the next thing...

There is a reason why From Software is considered to be a world class developer and the best in the industry when it comes to the art direction.

Seeing this for the first time and knowing damn well I am able to explore to what looks like a background but actually is not and is a full playable area. From Software does this... Every. Single. Time.

Where-To-Find-The-Doll-For-Boreal-Valley-In-Dark-Souls-3.jpg

elden-ring-where-to-go-in-leyndell-capital-featured_feature.jpg

As for pivotal story moments - it would have to be this for me on a personal level. Too bad Ubisoft doesn't make them like this anymore :/

I have more, but I don't want to create a giant post. Your turn fellow gaffers!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
a perfect mix of a gameplay segment and kick ass musical score.
My favorite kind of moment.

Metal Gear Rising is full of those. Maybe I'm too much of a simple man, but when the lyrics of the boss theme start playing right at the start of it's final phase... Oh babe.

There's another example: main theme starts playing right at the final boss. I could post a very recent example but don't want to spoil it. If you know, you know.

fart town usa

Gold Member
In the very first Mass Effect game there was something mysterious about exploring the citadel for the first and become familiar with the Mass Effect universe for the first time. Also, when this specific track kicked in. I ended up standing still for almost over 5 minutes. These 5 minutes felt like an hour but I also felt a sense of freedom and escape from reality.

100%.

The first ME has such an awesome sense of mystery, dire straits urgency too. These tracks capture it the most for me.

Most recent jaw dropping/goose bumps thing for me was a few months back, revisiting Panzer Dragoon Saga. Forgot how awesome this boss fight is. So insanely epic and cinematic. The music is absolute God-tier.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Halo Infinite was largely disappointing to me, campaign-wise, but there was a moment that I was on the verge of death, being chased down a hill in a warthog, by a whole gang of enemies, before I was able to escape by grappling to an overhead "Banshee" at the last second, and fly away to fight another day. That was a great moment.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Part of what makes gaming so special are usually the moments that you feel where you get a rush of chilled tingling througout your spine. Or better yet, the moments where your brain freezes for a few seconds and its trying to process what just happened.

These moments usually occur during a pivotal plot point/twists, beautiful visual scenery that comes out of nowhere, or a perfect mix of a gameplay segment and kick ass musical score.

There are thousands of video games out there in the world, but only very few can reach such heights.

Here are my favorite moments in video games where my brain ended up being transported to a different dimension. As weird and dumb as this may sound, but sometimes it can also feel so good that you feel like you are not on planet earth anymore.

Here is my list and these are NOT in any particular order or ranks.

Moving on to the next thing...

There is a reason why From Software is considered to be a world class developer and the best in the industry when it comes to the art direction.

Seeing this for the first time and knowing damn well I am able to explore to what looks like a background but actually is not and is a full playable area. From Software does this... Every. Single. Time.

Where-To-Find-The-Doll-For-Boreal-Valley-In-Dark-Souls-3.jpg

elden-ring-where-to-go-in-leyndell-capital-featured_feature.jpg

As for pivotal story moments - it would have to be this for me on a personal level. Too bad Ubisoft doesn't make them like this anymore :/

I have more, but I don't want to create a giant post. Your turn fellow gaffers!

What from software game is that?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Half life alyx- literally the start. When I looked at the world in virtual reality (its my first VR game) and felt myself there physically.

I actually started walking towards things and as the safety virtual wall kicked in to remind me I was actually in my room, I started giggling like a kid and telling myself how amazing it was.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Coming out of the starter dungeon in Oblivion for the first time and realizing how huge the game is.

First time free roaming the galaxy map in No Man’s Sky.

Passning the deep water in Brothers A Tale of Two Sons.

Playing VR:

——First VR game was Moss. Fell in love and ordered Quest 2 the same day.

——Wacking a dangling sign in Skyrim VR with HIGGS and VRIK mods.

——No Man’s Sky in VR, just standing there looking around on an alien planet and checking out the gun.

——Flight Sim in VR and looking out the side and seeing the landing gear.

Last edited:
Ocarina of Time blew my mind on so many levels. All the dungeons had been great up to this point, but the fire temple was the moment that I knew OoT was one of the greatest games ever made, and I wasn't even close to finishing it yet. I still love that boss fight and smashing volvagia's head with a hammer.

The first major raid in classic wow: Molten Core. The scale and atmosphere were incredible at the time.

Flabagast

78702D3A49B377FBD2500DF8F0816724DB9588E7

In SOMA, the sequence from the moment just before descending into the abyss all the way to this fucking masterpiece of an ending must have been the most incredible and intense experience I had with any media. 2 to 3 hours of total, dread inducing and absolute immersion that felt nearly akin to an out-of-body experience. All of this leading to a beautiful, devastating despair in the end. Utterly incredible.

I'm afraid I will never feel anything like it for the rest of my life. And I sure as hell won't feel anything like it with any other game.

TheGecko

Banned

In SOMA, the sequence from the moment just before descending into the abyss all the way to this fucking masterpiece of an ending must have been the most incredible and intense experience I had with any media. 2 to 3 hours of total, dread inducing and absolute immersion that felt nearly akin to an out-of-body experience. All of this leading to a beautiful, devastating despair in the end. Utterly incredible.

I'm afraid I will never feel anything like it for the rest of my life. And I sure as hell won't feel anything like it with any other game.
This game is so underrated, I loved it start to finish.

When Link and Impa go to the Temple of Time and she gives him an intense footjob (he has a foot fetish). Then they travel back in time and he accuses her of pedophilia. She is hanged in the town square.

Miyamoto you sick bastard.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

Is that underwater? That screenshot just gave me anxiety.

I cant find a video to show how i felt, but entering Ironforge for the first time when WoW came out was surreal.

The entrance door is massive and just so cool.

Ironforge was my jam. I always hated that you could only get the buffs in stormwind and in early expansions the portals were only in stormwind. Blizz effectively neutered the population of ironforge.

Last edited:
I cant find a video to show how i felt, but entering Ironforge for the first time when WoW came out was surreal.

Entering any capital was just an amazing feeling but for me it was Orgrimmar cause I helped build the place back in WC3.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

I remember dueling outside of those gates. Such good times.

Remember snagging a rare mount, then riding inside and going AFK outside the bank and coming back to like 50 people circled around you taking a look?

Top Bottom